MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Yamaha MODX Synth
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author New Yamaha MODX Synth
bnek
Done a search and can't believe there's not a thread on this already? Apologies if I missed something...

https://sonicstate.com/news/2018/09/14/yamaha-modx-montage-technology- in-a-small-package/

64 voice poly for the FM-X engine (+128 for the AWM engine)! 61 key version looks well priced. Not sure what's missing from the Montage, user samples? Shame about the boring workstation aesthetic (though I would be surprised if Yamaha made something that didn't look like this), it's not too ugly though. Pretty exited for this!
Synth Con Meo
Yeah I'm a bit surprised that this hasn't come up on here until now. For the last several months I've been kind of obsessing on getting a Montage. Probably the 61 key version to save space plus I am not really that great of a keyboard player. Also with that I felt that the Montage was way more deeper than I would probably dive into as far as FM programming. So I was waffling on whether or not I wanted to spend that much to get one. I am not saying the Montage isn’t worth the money, but it might not be worth it to me. I just like the sounds of it. I don’t have any Yamaha Synths so this would be my first.

While talking to a local Yamaha dealer a few months back he said there was rumbling about Yamaha was going to release a new Synth similar to the Montage but at a reduced price. He said it sounded like it was going to be released in August. So when August came and went an I didn’t hear anything about a new release from Yamaha I just thought it was vaporware. Then there was a leak a week ago stating that Yamaha was going to announce something new on 9/14. So I was presently surprised when they did announce the MODX.

Obviously I want to hear/play with it before I decide but I am intrigued. I know one of the biggest complaint that I’ve read is that it doesn’t have aftertouch. While I can completely understand the upset about this and I agree that Yamaha shouldn’t have axed that from the design for me it isn’t a deal breaker. Mostly since as stated I am not a keyboard player so I don’t really have a style with much finesse that I really use aftertouch much. But for the people who do play and use aftertouch I can see where the issue is.

With that said I am looking forward to seeing the MODX in person and hearing firsthand how it sounds.
GovernorSilver
bnek wrote:

64 voice poly for the FM-X engine (+128 for the AWM engine)! 61 key version looks well priced. Not sure what's missing from the Montage, user samples? Shame about the boring workstation aesthetic (though I would be surprised if Yamaha made something that didn't look like this), it's not too ugly though. Pretty exited for this!

Probably not what you meant, but no it's not a workstation. A workstation should have a sequencer will song mode, multiple tracks, etc. MODX has a "performance recorder" with no edit function - nuff said.

Somebody posted a comparison of MODX vs. Montage that can be Googled. This website was put up before the official specs for MODX was published, so no telling how much is reliable info and how much is fake news.

Not surprised about lack of aftertouch. Japanese synth companies don't do aftertouch on sub-$2000 keyboards. Don't know why, but that's just how it is, no matter how much complaining peeps have done over the years - decades even. DSI/Sequential's REV2 line has it for about $1500, which I guess is a cruel tease for some who prefer a different brand.
CF3
While cool, it’s just a cut down version of the Montage. You can easily buy a used Montage for the price of a new MODX.

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-modx-vs-montage/

I really wish Yamaha would do a rack/desktop verson of the Montage already.
GovernorSilver
New MODX6 - $1300

There's no Montage 6 even close to that price in the used market.

That comparison webpage seems to be written by a knowledgeable Yamaha user, but he wrote it before MODX specs were officially released. In other words, you don't know which info was contaminated by stuff made up in forum(s).

A smart customer would double check any specs posted there against the official specs before making a purchasing decision between the two.

That all said, I do agree there should be a module-only version of Montage or MODX
GovernorSilver
Interview by Nick (Sonic State guy), and yes some actual sound between all the chatting - starts getting interesting around 7:50:

Devine talks about FM synthesis, being hired by Yamaha to make FM-X presets, etc.

Don't be frightened by the gratituous use of overdone FM piano in the background - neither man is responsible for that.
IanEye
So, is there anything the FS1R can still do that the MODX can't?

Thanks.
GovernorSilver
The AWM2 side is no joke either.
h4ndcrafted
I thought of getting a Montage, but decided it would be wasted on me, but at the price of the modx 61 key, it’s kind of a no brainier for me.

There is talk of an app you can use to sample one sound quickly and it will put it across the keyboard, assuming no timestretch though.

Anybody know more about it? Called robot or something ?
h4ndcrafted
Info here on sample robot, looks good.

https://yamahamusicians.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11689&p=69334
tioJim
Yamaha seem to be saying it's both a cut down Montage and a replacement for the MOXF line but Nick Batt of SonicState in a SonicTalk the other week suggested it's not a workstation as it doesn't really have an internal sequencer (it has a motion sequencer, whatever that is, and if it's not a workstation then it's a 'performance synth', apparently).

I've been eyeing a MOXF8 and I guess I can probably stretch to a MODX8 if I choose to but if it's internal sequencer is either absent or less functional than the MOXF's then that's a shortcoming for me. The MOXF Cubasis integration looked kind of interesting too. Will the MODX do the same?

Anybody got any idea how the internal sequencer might compare to the MOXF's? I'm looking through the manual now but it's pretty dense. Did the Montage have an internal sequencer? Is the Montage considered a 'workstation' or a 'performance synth'?
tioJim
tioJim wrote:
Yamaha seem to be saying it's both a cut down Montage and a replacement for the MOXF line but Nick Batt of SonicState in a SonicTalk the other week suggested it's not a workstation as it doesn't really have an internal sequencer (it has a motion sequencer, whatever that is, and if it's not a workstation then it's a 'performance synth', apparently).

I've been eyeing a MOXF8 and I guess I can probably stretch to a MODX8 if I choose to but if it's internal sequencer is either absent or less functional than the MOXF's then that's a shortcoming for me. The MOXF Cubasis integration looked kind of interesting too. Will the MODX do the same?

Anybody got any idea how the internal sequencer might compare to the MOXF's? I'm looking through the manual now but it's pretty dense. Did the Montage have an internal sequencer? Is the Montage considered a 'workstation' or a 'performance synth'?

Hmm .. ok p45 onwards of

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/5/1162395/modx6_mod x7_modx8_en_om_a0.pdf

addresses 'Recording and Playback'. Bit light on detail though ...
GovernorSilver
tioJim wrote:

I agree with Nick. It's not a workstation.

It has two sequencers - the motion and the "performance recorder". The 2nd has no edit function. See the question about the sequencer here:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/modx/faq .html

For me the selling points of the MODX are the FM-X synth and class-compliant USB interface (4-in, 10-out audio, USB MIDI) .
tioJim
GovernorSilver wrote:
tioJim wrote:

I agree with Nick. It's not a workstation.

It has two sequencers - the motion and the "performance recorder". The 2nd has no edit function. See the question about the sequencer here:

For me the selling points of the MODX are the FM-X synth and class-compliant USB interface (4-in, 10-out audio, USB MIDI) .

I don't feel I need a fully-fledged sequencer just a notepad. I've researched the MOFX sequencer and I'm satisfied with that so if they're comparable then that's good. I'll check your link, thanks.
tioJim
GovernorSilver wrote:

"MODX has Fully-functional Sequencer?
No. MODX just has the simple sequencer "Performance Recorder". It does not have edit function."

Does not have 'edit function'? Ouch! Bit cryptic though. I guess it means if you don't like what you've recorded you have to go again rather than edit/correct what's there. Hmmm ... if it's not touted as a workstation that's fair enough I guess
GovernorSilver
tioJim wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

No. MODX just has the simple sequencer "Performance Recorder". It does not have edit function."

Does not have 'edit function'? Ouch! Bit cryptic though. I guess it means if you don't like what you've recorded you have to go again rather than edit/correct what's there. Hmmm ... if it's not touted as a workstation that's fair enough I guess

Yeah, that FAQ appears to be have been put up in a hurry, judging by the quality of English and such.

Confusingly, Yamaha also has a MX88 keyboard. They're really got this "M" thing going.
GovernorSilver
tioJim wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

Yeah, that FAQ appears to be have been put up in a hurry, judging by the quality of English and such.

Confusingly, Yamaha also has a MX88 keyboard. They're really got this "M" thing going.

I don't really see how MODX replaces MOXF. One would presume that Yamaha would replace a rompler workstation (MOXF) with a newer rompler workstation, not with a non-workstation FM-X synth (MODX) with a rompler tacked on for the gigging keyboardist's convenience.
tioJim
This has made me look a bit deeper into the MOXF sequencer and I don't think it's quite what I thought it was either. Gah! There's always something smile

Plan B then: sell kidney and buy a Kronos
Paranormal Patroler
I'd be interested in a tabletop version with no keys.
GovernorSilver
If you care more about the sequencer than teh synthesis, why not look at the Roland FA series workstations? Also, Korg makes budget workstations that are priced to compete with the Roland FA and Yamaha MOXF.

Kronos is a waste of money IMO if you don't care about MOD-7, the VA engines, etc.
h4ndcrafted
I think they are abandoning sequencers in favour sequencer apps , maybe they want to push cubasis more. Isn’t that more logical anyway, you can work on stuff away from a board ?
rowsbywoof
I know everyone is looking for something different, but there is little chance I'd use an onboard sequencer these days, with its limited editing and working facilities, when I could hook this up to any DAW and have a much more powerful working environment. Sure, it made sense a decade+ ago, but I'm hard pressed to see the benefit of it today. If you're really computer/DAW adverse, OK, but that's got to be a small group of people if you're already in the market for a workstation keyboard over a performance synth.

I figured the computer-less guys were more focused on live-play, anyway... Not sure it really matters one way or another, but this simple sequencer should probably tick 90% of the boxes you'd need away from a DAW, as is.
GovernorSilver
h4ndcrafted wrote:
I think they are abandoning sequencers in favour sequencer apps , maybe they want to push cubasis more. Isn’t that more logical anyway, you can work on stuff away from a board ?

Who, Yamaha? Not really. MOXF continues to be in production as there is no real replacement yet (MODX is not a replacement). There's also the MX workstation line for peeps who can't afford MOXF.

Genos will probably be in production for the next several years. Different kind of sequencer as it's an arranger, not a workstation, but sequencer nonetheless. I've been told the high-end arranger market has been very good to Yamaha.
GovernorSilver
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
I'd be interested in a tabletop version with no keys.

So would several other people.
tioJim
rowsbywoof wrote:
I know everyone is looking for something different, but there is little chance I'd use an onboard sequencer these days, with its limited editing and working facilities, when I could hook this up to any DAW and have a much more powerful working environment.

I think it's a context thing for me. I very much am computer adverse when playing around, jamming, generating ideas. I'm very much pro computer when it comes to arranging, finessing, completing. I find most computer setups are just too distracting in the former stage. At that point I don't want to touch a mouse or type on a keyboard or stare at a screen. I want to listen and build ideas with the minimum of time with my focus away from playing.

But sure, the sequencer in either MOXF or MODX might be sufficient. I'll often use an MPC2000 for example. That's pretty bullet proof.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4