MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

THEEE Sherman Filterbank
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author THEEE Sherman Filterbank
zerosum
(placeholder and this thread will be updated X infinity soon)

Welllllllll.....This is one amazing piece of metal and knobs!!!
I have used this thing A LOT!!! and whoever had it before me did too,
as the serial number isnt even 300!!! :shock:

Input Signal is sent into oblivion
Shermolver
Sherman Evolver
ER-1 Sherman alienator_01
ER-1 Sherman Alienator_03
ER-1 Sherman Alienator_06
felix
I've thought I've wanted one of these for a long time. No sound samples have pushed me over the edge though...I'm interested to hear your experiences/tips/etc about it.
zerosum
Yeah I need to update this lol
I have used this thing on everything! Its a blast.
Its not a neccesary piece for someone with a full modular system, but
it sure does make a nice addition wink
I guess technically this was my first piece of modular gear.

I have been using it as an LFO too, using the link out jack.
I have about a million recordings too that I need to breakdown,
on myspace page, the track "finding a comfort" is covered in Sherman,
as well as the 2 preview tracks:
myspace.com/zeroxocide

This is one fun unit, If you find one used and have the cash go for it!
You wont be dissapointed...
I still plan on getting a FB2 so I can link it together with my FB1.
what a crazy mayhem experience that will be.

more later grin
endmusik
courtesy of someone posting a vid on matrixsynth of a sherman being midi controlled by a machinedrum, I fucked about with that setup yesterday and it's a riot!

I don't think I've EVER plugged into the midi input on the sherman, but man will I be doing that regularly now.....
zerosum

Thanks to http://www.youtube.com/verstaerker
endmusik
that's the one!

my results are a bit different twisted
zerosum
endmusik wrote:
that's the one!

So lets hear it!
endmusik
zerosum wrote:
endmusik wrote:
that's the one!

So lets hear it!

You'll hear it in october wink
zerosum
Verstaerker made another one! Very cool 8)

tragedybysyntax
Werd Zero... that clip is nifty! Honestly... lately, I've been tossing in the Sherm on almost every patch I've been doing. Nice to use a sequential switch and have cv go out to fm in or even trigger for some automated things. Sherman is a fucking beast. It was my first piece of nice modular gear! smile
Muff Wiggler
Hey I'm moving this thread over to 'General Gear'

I know the Sherman has lots of CV options, but I think it is more commonly seen as a standalone filterbank, instead of part of a modular system.

Mostly I just want to make sure that people who are looking for the info can find it - I can imagine that some will not check the "Modular Sythesis" section, as they don't have or use or want a modular, however many of these people may still be interested in the Sherman, as it's a damn cool piece of kit to have, regardless if you own a modular or not!
zerosum
Hmmm... Well it is a synth without the VCO.
ADSR,VCA,LFO,VCF,receives midi, freely configurable routing...
I guess it can go both ways,but I think of it as a synth and not a processor or effector, although it does those things.
Muff Wiggler
in that case it belongs here even more! if it's a synth in a box, it's not a modular razz

i've thought about this a lot.... sherman is definately stretching it, in terms of "general gear" or "modular synths". I'm making the call that it leans over on the General Gear side of things more, again because of the argument that many people would be interested in it who are not interested in modulars. In fact I would bet you that the vast majority of Sherman owners do NOT use a modular synth!

A harder case is the Mobius. It's definately standalone gear. But it interfaces very well with a modular. But it's of much more limited interest to a non-modular user (however I first bought mine to drive a MB33 Mk.II, so I wasn't looking it as a modular device at the time either). I'm back and forth on what section that unit belongs in. Again General Gear since it's useful to many musicians, unlike say a Boogie Filter, which is only useful to modular users. It's a tough call.

I read something once attempting to 'define' a modular synth - basically it said that to be a modular, each panel has to have a small number of discreet functions, and (quite importantly) that each panel must be able to be removed and placed in a different location within the system, with no pre-existing connections to other modules. I tend to believe in this classification for what defines "modular equipment", and as a result, things like a Sherman, (yes also) the Mobius, the Moog Voyager, etc. are NOT pieces of Modular gear, even though they may have CV ins and outs on them.

Definately a tough call though!
endmusik
but what about guys like me that view the entire studio as one large "modular" - where the room itself is the "panel" and all the various things in the room are "modules". Yes, that does include me, the cat, furniture, and of course the ghosties....
Muff Wiggler
cry you guys all bustin' my balls hehe lol

i view the studio the same way for sure, but unless i wanna make one big forum called 'sound making stuff' i gotta draw a line somewhere and figure out what goes where razz there's so many line bending items and questions - look at an ARP 2600, each individual processor is a self-contained little box inside the main case, and each part has input and output jacks. it's totally a modular synth.... except that it's not, it's a self-contained synth lol

the big question for me is this - if people are reading the forum (and there's usually a lot of bots, but there's often quite a lot of real guest users reading stuff), i wonder where they would look for something. and when i wonder this, i could be wrong, but i really think that they would look for something like an ARP 2600, or a Sherman Filterbank, or a Devi Ever pedal, under 'general gear'. no bigger conspiracy than this oops
tragedybysyntax
so what exactly is the patch in this one? is he controlling the sequencer by the sherman or wtF?
zerosum
It looks like the drums are triggering the sherman, then he is sending the envelope out from the sherman to trigger the sequencer.
(second video)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1