Oberkorn mk3

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Post Reply
User avatar
Audio Resistance
despair extraordinaire
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:23 am
Location: Norman, USA

Oberkorn mk3

Post by Audio Resistance » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:21 pm

So now I need a sequencer. I started my rig as just a sound processing station and quickly realized that I need Oscillators and VCA's .

I am thinking either the Oberkorn or the Doepfer MAQ 16, and possibly the Future Retro Mobius. The reason I need a racked one is that I have a perfect spot for it right above my Doepfer cases. Pictures below to show what I am talking about,. I can just move the Waldorf up and set the sequencer there, but another Doepfer case will not fit.

Reading the sequencer talk around here I gather that the Milton is not coming out anytime soon, and I would rather save the case space for modular growth.( I have 2 AFG's and Frequensteiner on the way) I am really leaning towards the Oberkorn because all the patch points are on the front were as the Doepfer are on the rear.

So any reason not to get the Oberkorn?

Cheers,
Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Audio resistance to perceived fascist tendencies

My Music

User avatar
Audio Resistance
despair extraordinaire
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:23 am
Location: Norman, USA

Post by Audio Resistance » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:21 pm

Holy cow !

Sorry about the picture size.
Audio resistance to perceived fascist tendencies

My Music

User avatar
spbaker
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 705
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:15 pm
Location: melbourne australia

Post by spbaker » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:35 pm

Audio Resistance wrote:Holy cow !
indeed!!
Audio Resistance wrote:Sorry about the picture size.
no need to apologise, great set up! :party: :sb:
new DVD out now Fracture
things to listen to and look at:
http://abreojos.net

User avatar
Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou
Posts: 2882
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:13 pm
Location: next to Serious Fun!

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:55 pm

picture is way too big, but you already know that...and your rig kicks ass...i'd go for the regular Doepfer modular sequencer bits....

User avatar
felix
Loves the manuals!
Posts: 3865
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:05 am
Location: San Jose, CA

Post by felix » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:05 am

Awesome collection of goodies there!! I hope you're running the RME through that B:assmaster often! :D
dress yourself for the public. you now must exit your home and acquire a dental mirror and lubrication!
i recommend a hat, or a helmet. if a helmet, ensure that it is both convincing and unbiased. -citizen mori
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/78959
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/225002
https://jimdrones.bandcamp.com

User avatar
dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs
Posts: 9138
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:35 pm
Location: LA

Post by dkcg » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:58 am

I'm not sure the Oberkorn outputs MIDI, which may be important to you with all that MIDI gear. The Doepfer MAQ I think does, and the Revolution does. But knobs are nice, the doepfer might be the best for your studio, there's one on ebay now, but it looks like it's gonna be a lot. The oberkorn may be out of stock too. Nice setup! :)

User avatar
Kent
Large Member
Posts: 11612
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:17 am
Location: Vienna, Austria

Doepfer MAQ 16/3 vs. ASol's Oberkorn

Post by Kent » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:15 am

Here's a shot of most my rig since we're representing with the LARGE photos... :hyper: It is quite similar to yours (one of each Harvestman, some Doepfer, and MIDI stuff) although most of my MIDI stuff is out of sight. As you can see, I decided to roll with the MAQ Daddy.Image


Take a look at this webpage for some information pertaining to the MAQ & the Oberkorn. The webpage was intended to show the major differences between the Milton and 4 other sequencers. Much of the page is out of date as both the Oberkorn and MAQ have been further refined and developed in the interim, the basic info is worth checking out in any case.

http://www.buzzclick-music.com/milt_compare.html

The current MAQs (the old ones are upgradeable) have MIDI In & Out as well as three individual channels of CV & Gate. The Oberkorn has MIDI In & Thru; no Out. There are things (such as Reset to Beginning of Sequence with +5VDC trigger) that the Oberkorn has on 1/8th inch jacks that you can do via MIDI on the MAQ. The Oberkorn has more analog I/O on jacks.
The MAQ can have all 3 channels operating completely independently; even running along at different speeds, if you wish. Each channel can also be a sequence of any length and running in any of 8 different patterns: Random, Forwards, Backwards, Pendulum, Pendulum 2, One-Shot, etc. Each channel can be on a separate MIDI channel, can send Velocity, Notes, Aftertouch, etc. It can transpose a sequence by holding down a MIDI note & it does a ton of other stuff. Take a peek at the attached manuals. Most of what the MAQ can do is detailed in the first few pages.

Feel free to hit me up with MAQ questions once you've slogged through the manual and if you are still left with questions.

I have some other really old Analogue Solutions sequencing modules &, at this point in time, the only thing that I wish to add would be the MFB SEQ-01 or Blacet Hex Zone for some discrete outs per step action.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Audio Resistance
despair extraordinaire
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:23 am
Location: Norman, USA

Post by Audio Resistance » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:03 am

felix wrote:Awesome collection of goodies there!! I hope you're running the RME through that B:assmaster often! :D
The RME and the B:assmaster was the exact kind of distortion I was looking for out of the MOOG, who needs a stereo Moog anyway. :twisted:

On the other side of my desk I have a Access Polar, DSI polyevolver keyboard, Roland V-synth , and my trusty old Ensoniq Fizmo.

Cheers,
Rob
Audio resistance to perceived fascist tendencies

My Music

User avatar
Audio Resistance
despair extraordinaire
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:23 am
Location: Norman, USA

Re: Doepfer MAQ 16/3 vs. ASol's Oberkorn

Post by Audio Resistance » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:15 am

Kent wrote:Here's a shot of most my rig since we're representing with the LARGE photos... :hyper: It is quite similar to yours (one of each Harvestman, some Doepfer, and MIDI stuff) although most of my MIDI stuff is out of sight. As you can see, I decided to roll with the MAQ Daddy.Image


Take a look at this webpage for some information pertaining to the MAQ & the Oberkorn. The webpage was intended to show the major differences between the Milton and 4 other sequencers. Much of the page is out of date as both the Oberkorn and MAQ have been further refined and developed in the interim, the basic info is worth checking out in any case.

http://www.buzzclick-music.com/milt_compare.html

The current MAQs (the old ones are upgradeable) have MIDI In & Out as well as three individual channels of CV & Gate. The Oberkorn has MIDI In & Thru; no Out. There are things (such as Reset to Beginning of Sequence with +5VDC trigger) that the Oberkorn has on 1/8th inch jacks that you can do via MIDI on the MAQ. The Oberkorn has more analog I/O on jacks.
The MAQ can have all 3 channels operating completely independently; even running along at different speeds, if you wish. Each channel can also be a sequence of any length and running in any of 8 different patterns: Random, Forwards, Backwards, Pendulum, Pendulum 2, One-Shot, etc. Each channel can be on a separate MIDI channel, can send Velocity, Notes, Aftertouch, etc. It can transpose a sequence by holding down a MIDI note & it does a ton of other stuff. Take a peek at the attached manuals. Most of what the MAQ can do is detailed in the first few pages.

Feel free to hit me up with MAQ questions once you've slogged through the manual and if you are still left with questions.

I have some other really old Analogue Solutions sequencing modules &, at this point in time, the only thing that I wish to add would be the MFB SEQ-01 or Blacet Hex Zone for some discrete outs per step action.

Thanks, that was the kinda of info I was looking for. I was wondering if either one would work like the sequencer in my PEK in how that it will run the sequence with a midi note held down.

I think I am really leaning towards the Doepfer now,I just really wish it had the jacks on the front. Thanks again, I will probably hit you up on some more questions.

Cheers
Rob
Audio resistance to perceived fascist tendencies

My Music

User avatar
Kent
Large Member
Posts: 11612
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:17 am
Location: Vienna, Austria

Post by Kent » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:10 am

You could literally punch the holes in the front panel, buy one of these: http://adinfinitummusic.com/UM410P.html , or run 'em up to a blank Doepfer panel.

User avatar
Audio Resistance
despair extraordinaire
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:23 am
Location: Norman, USA

Post by Audio Resistance » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:55 pm

OKay, I got a used A-155 and A-154 for the time being, and have a couple questions.

I am running it clocked to Logic thru a Kenton solo mkII. When I run the sequencer in Logic it triggers the A-155 and I can either stop or start it with the gate output of the Kenton, not both. So my question is, "How could I stop and start it with one gate?" Is there some kind of way I could trigger an envelope to start and than when I let up on the key it would send a gate to stop? If I would have bought the Kenton Pro-2000 this would be an easier fix, but I feel like I am over looking something simple. I can sort of create a work around by setting it in 1 shot mode, but 2 gates would be so much easier.

Another question, when the A-155 is in pendulum mode and I reset it , the sequence always starts on 2 instead of 1, is that correct in pendulum mode?

Thanks,
Rob
Audio resistance to perceived fascist tendencies

My Music

User avatar
felix
Loves the manuals!
Posts: 3865
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:05 am
Location: San Jose, CA

Post by felix » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:43 am

The Doepfer trigger modifier + mult could do this. Or the logic inverter on the Doepfer logic module.

You just need to mult the GATE (note on) signal and then run one of the multiples through the modifier/inverter. When you let the key up, that signal will go high. The other signal will go high when you press the key down, like normal.

Note, that you need a logic inverter (or the trigger modifier) to do this. Not a regular voltage inverter.
dress yourself for the public. you now must exit your home and acquire a dental mirror and lubrication!
i recommend a hat, or a helmet. if a helmet, ensure that it is both convincing and unbiased. -citizen mori
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/78959
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/225002
https://jimdrones.bandcamp.com

User avatar
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
eat the kids first
Posts: 3076
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Virginia

Post by A Dingleberry Monstrosity » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:50 am

just to let you know, Im selling a doepfer A154 and A155 ;)
[/shameLessPlug]

I vote for the maq, it spits out midi and has 3 tracks. I really like mine, and although I almost sold it 9000 times I could never see myself letting it go. Its very cool.

User avatar
Audio Resistance
despair extraordinaire
Posts: 1225
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:23 am
Location: Norman, USA

Post by Audio Resistance » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:20 am

felix wrote:The Doepfer trigger modifier + mult could do this. Or the logic inverter on the Doepfer logic module.

You just need to mult the GATE (note on) signal and then run one of the multiples through the modifier/inverter. When you let the key up, that signal will go high. The other signal will go high when you press the key down, like normal.

Note, that you need a logic inverter (or the trigger modifier) to do this. Not a regular voltage inverter.
Thank you, I knew there had to be some module I could get to fix the problem.
It is not really that big a problem ,I can always reach over and turn it off :hihi:

But coming from a straight up Logic sequencer type of song crafting it was getting under my skin.

Cheers,
Rob
Audio resistance to perceived fascist tendencies

My Music

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”