MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Multi-tracking modular HELP!! :)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Multi-tracking modular HELP!! :)
sillyquestions?
Hey Guys, just wondering if anyone has an idea of how I can multitrack certain modules from my rack to my desk? At the moment everything including my mother 32, DFAM and modules are coming through one channel.

Does anyone know a way where I can have the mother 32, DFAM and modules all separated with different outputs to input to certain channels on my desk?

Im aware the M32 and DFAM can stand alone but i've got them in my rack and thats the way I intend on keeping it. If anyone could suggest a module that would do this it would be more than appreciated!

Thanks,

Ru
Carrousel
You don't need any new module to do this. Just buy a bunch of 1/8" to 1/4" jack cables and patch from the final out of each voice on your modular to the ins on your mixing desk. There really is no need for an output module other than for convenience with cabling and the possibility of a master volume knob. The only other potential benefit of output modules is that they offer balanced outputs, but these aren't necessary unless you're running very long cables (over 8-10m) and have tons of instruments all patched up at once. For reference I use all 20 inputs of my soundcard simultaneously for a variety of instruments including around 8 individual modular outputs and have no problem not using balanced outputs from the modular.
sillyquestions?
Raven_Martin wrote:
You don't need any new module to do this. Just buy a bunch of 1/8" to 1/4" jack cables and patch from the final out of each voice on your modular to the ins on your mixing desk. There really is no need for an output module other than for convenience with cabling and the possibility of a master volume knob. The only other potential benefit of output modules is that they offer balanced outputs, but these aren't necessary unless you're running very long cables (over 8-10m) and have tons of instruments all patched up at once. For reference I use all 20 inputs of my soundcard simultaneously for a variety of instruments including around 8 individual modular outputs and have no problem not using balanced outputs from the modular.

You da man! Cheers for the reply. Im still quite new to modular.. When you say things like 'patch from the final out of each voice on your modular to the ins on your mixing desk' what do you mean exactly?

Say I was to get an output module, would I need one for every instrument/module that I want to output or is there a way around this?

Cheers again for the reply

Ru
Dave Peck
I don't understand the problem. The Mother-32 and the DFAM both have regular 1/4" output jacks on the back, right next to the power supply connector. Just connect these two outputs to two separate input channels on your mixer....
witchbutter
You can definitely directly record a VCA out, just remember that modular is a really hot signal and getting a balanced out can improve the quality of the audio depending on your end mixer or recording interface.

I would add that I finally invested in a WMD Performance Mixer with the DB25 outs, which allows me to directly record balanced outs for the entire track while recording pre-fader audio from each of the channels on the mixer. This workflow is so much easier for me, I can't recommend it enough. I use 2 performance cases and all I need to do to record is attach a couple of snakes that match an Ableton template I made and I can press record to get a complete recording of whatever patch I've been working on. It saved me time and reduced noise. I also am using a Presonus Quantum that has extremely low latency so I can use my outputs as DC coupled control signals which are in sync with the recording. Obviously to each their own, but I love this setup.
folpon
I can second the recommendation of witchbutter above. If you can stand to spend a bit, the WMD Performance Mixer with DB25 outs is perhaps the best option so far invented for conveniently recording patches.

That being said, one can also simply buy long 1/8" to 1/4" audio cables and patch the outputs of their voices directly into their interface so long as they are careful about levels.
Carrousel
sillyquestions? wrote:
Raven_Martin wrote:

You da man! Cheers for the reply. Im still quite new to modular.. When you say things like 'patch from the final out of each voice on your modular to the ins on your mixing desk' what do you mean exactly?

Say I was to get an output module, would I need one for every instrument/module that I want to output or is there a way around this?

Cheers again for the reply

Ru

Sorry, that could have been more clear. I mean patch the 1/8" end of the jack lead into the output of your final VCA in a given voice, then take the other end, which is 1/4" and patch that into whatever input you're using to record or monitor on; an input on your mixer or soundcard usually.

What the other lads say is absolutely true; for longer cables or larger set ups, you'll get a cleaner signal using a balanced output. But for anything other than the very largest home set ups, its usually overkill, or has been in my experience. YMMV
sillyquestions?
Cheers for the reply again guys.

Just checked, that WMD mixer seems like the thing I'm after but with the expander it's a little to expensive.. saving up for the Prophet 6...

Would you guys care to explain in little simpler terms exactly what it does and what it would give me from what I've explained? I know you've already explained it but it's just a little hard to understand.

Maybe I'm just best getting a few VCA's and making a patch that way and then connecting the out of the VCA into my mixer?

Just out of interest.. and a thought thats just crossed my mind.. could i use the 'VCA' from the M32 and DFAM and just go from that straight into my mixer?

Cheers again, much appreciated.
Dave Peck
sillyquestions? wrote:

Just out of interest.. and a thought thats just crossed my mind.. could i use the 'VCA' from the M32 and DFAM and just go from that straight into my mixer?

Yes. Or use the MAIN OUTPUT jacks on the back of these instruments. That's what they are for. Connecting the synths to a mixer or amp or whatever else you would want to send the synth's signal to.

.... I'm curious - how do you currently have these synths connected to the mixer?
sillyquestions?
Dave Peck wrote:
sillyquestions? wrote:

Yes. Or use the MAIN OUTPUT jacks on the back of these instruments. That's what they are for. Connecting the synths to a mixer or amp or whatever else you would want to send the synth's signal to.

.... I'm curious - how do you currently have these synths connected to the mixer?

I have them connected this way through the Outputs on the back but I'm about to enter them both into my case due to space on my table and travelling purposes. The 2 tier rack isn't exactly the easiest thing to cart around..

Cheers man!
Dave Peck
sillyquestions? wrote:
Dave Peck wrote:
sillyquestions? wrote:

I have them connected this way through the Outputs on the back but I'm about to enter them both into my case due to space on my table and travelling purposes. The 2 tier rack isn't exactly the easiest thing to cart around..

Cheers man!

Then yes, you can just use the VCA OUT jacks to connect the synths to the mixer input channels. This output jack provides the exact same signal that is coming out of the larger main output jack on the rear of the synth. (BTW this info is in the manual, just sayin.....) This is fun!
sillyquestions?
Yeah i bet it is but I always feel it's easier to ask around to make sure I'm either on the right track on not.. cheers for your help. cool
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1