MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Signal Path For Synths To Tape
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Signal Path For Synths To Tape
daniu
Does anyone have any tips or tricks they have found for signal path from synthesizers to tape? I'm looking to invest in some preamps and other gear but hoping to hear others advice.

Also if anyone has sound samples of their tape recordings I love to hear.
Ranxerox
Probably you need to provide more context. What tape machine are you using? Are you talking about multitrack recording? What signals are you recording - what types of synthesizers? Are you using a mixer? Balanced or unbalanced?
hamildad
also interested...

I am inheriting a 4 track reel to reel machine and wondering about making it part of my recording workflow.
corpusjonsey
All instruments go directly into my Mackie mixer then RCA out to Marantz PMD430.
Hainbach
A&H Mixwizard - > Bugbrand Stereo Compressor - > SPL Vitalizer Jack -> Telefunken M15 running SM468. This was the first album I made entirely with this setup:
[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=1506819559 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]
charlie-dude
Hamildad:

Some R/R machines have line level preamps built in, I had an otari 1" once that had that; I could plug my moog etc. directly into it if I wanted and get good recordings.

But like so many things "it depends"--What sort of gear you need between your synth and your R/R deck depends on which R/R you're inheriting.

Can you provide any more information about your deck and your synths?
charlie-dude
Hamildad:

Some R/R machines have line level preamps built in, I had an otari 1" once that had that; I could plug my moog etc. directly into it if I wanted and get good recordings.

But like so many things "it depends"--What sort of gear you need between your synth and your R/R deck depends on which R/R you're inheriting.

charlie-dude
Hamildad:

deepblackjoe@gmail.com
A two channel "tube levelling amplifier" is good in there. warm compression and handles spikes that are too much. the art pro vla is what i have
Chevron87
Check out the Thermionic Culture Vulture stereo valve unit. It has a stereo DI and can add some of the similar benefits of tape saturation on the T or Triode setting. Plus you get a killer distortion unit and as mentioned a great stereo DI.
hippo1
I'm relatively economic, compared to the culture vulture: I run my 'boards direct into that little ART Tubemix, out to Strymon Deco (saturation/analog 'wobble'), then DI straight to digital. That's my effort at 'out-of-the-box' goodness.

I always associated things like the Culture Vulture, and most 500 series, with high-end analog desks and old-skool recording studios (with an actual mastering component separately); a little out of my price range....
Dilibob
As a side note, Allen strange's book "electronic music" has quite a bit of useful information on tape integration with synths. I don't worship the book as it's dated, but when you want to get into old school synth sounds it's about as close to a bible as your gonna get - has a ton of stuff even on tape delay mechanisms for example.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1