MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

older guitar pedal power
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author older guitar pedal power
supersuper
Hi,

I just stumbled across a stockpile of vintage guitar pedals maxon, dod, amdek, guyatone that a friends older relative was keeping in storage.

When I go to plug a battery im not getting a power light on.

I have not used guitar pedals in a long time, only really played acoustic, thought that maybe they needed to have a input jack plugged into activate?

I dont have any guitar cables currently so I tried putting a 1/4 inch headphone adapter in to trigger it on with no success.

Is it the ring config? do I need to have both an input and output plugged in to get power? I know I must be doing something wrong because they cannot all be non functioning.
BugBrand
Yes, usually needs an unbalanced TS input cable - when the cable is inserted it joins ring to sleeve, joining the battery. So TRS headphone won't work.
Gripp
EDIT: Just noticed BugBrands good reply while writing this. Will post anyway. It took a while to write and goes in to a little more detail.

supersuper wrote:
I dont have any guitar cables currently so I tried putting a 1/4 inch headphone adapter in to trigger it on with no success.

Is it the ring config? do I need to have both an input and output plugged in to get power?

Yes to the first question. You need a regular TS (mono) 1/4” plug in to the input.
The way this usually works is the pedal having the input jack being a TRS (stereo) jack. It is wired so that the ring goes directly to battery negative (usually; some have positive). That battery pole doesn’t have a connection to anything but the ring on the input jack. The sleeve on the input jack is connected to circuit ground.
So when you plug the TS in there it shorts the ring and sleeve, completing the circuit from battery to circuit ground. Now if you plug in a TRS, the battery will just be left hanging there. No current will flow.

And, no, you shouldn’t need a plug in the output jack.

There are, as always, exceptions to this but they are not common. You should be good to go!
supersuper
hey guys thank you. Got a hold of some mono cables and guitar and they are all up and running! You need a mono cable into the input to activate.
GuyaGuy
The trick is remembering to unplug them to save battery life!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1