Birdkids ”Raven” ?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:31 am

Hey friends, sorry I just couldn't muster posting here so soon after Mr. McGrath's passing. We owe him so much for making this interaction between us possible. But I guess it's up to us to keep the torch lit and carry it.

First off, @chaossick:
It's a very rewarding process to be able to build a chair from scratch, the entire process, even if you're a great carpenter is like falling in Love again and again.
Sure you can get an ikea one, and it's functional, but life is too short for just "functional" right? We're in it for the ride, not counting the mileage :tu:

@scuto, oh it's not even a joke, we've all quietly gasped when the BOM (Bill of Materials) quantity added up on Excel ... must be doing something right.

@goldi and synonymist

The Kickstarter campaign ended in December 2018, but we've received many many emails from people regarding availability, we've also sent individual mails to parties who inquired regarding pre-order and a newsletter.

My advice is to get in touch via mail here.

Here's an excerpt from the functionality:

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:56 am

birdkid wrote:...
@goldi and synonymist

The Kickstarter campaign ended in December 2018, but we've received many many emails from people regarding availability, we've also sent individual mails to parties who inquired regarding pre-order and a newsletter.

Thank you. It wasn't easy (resistance to VPN, certain browsers, etc.), but I managed to load the contact webpage there in full and submit the contact form. :)

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:37 am

synonymist wrote:
@goldi and synonymist

Thank you. It wasn't easy (resistance to VPN, certain browsers, etc.), but I managed to load the contact webpage there in full and submit the contact form. :)
Dear synonymist, thank you! Just replied to your mail!
Curious to hear about the technical issues regarding the website, the form integration 3rd Party Plugin (Contact Form 7 WP) we're using has some issues with IE and Mozilla browsers, which browser were you using?

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:45 am

birdkid wrote:
synonymist wrote:
@goldi and synonymist

Curious to hear about the technical issues regarding the website, the form integration 3rd Party Plugin (Contact Form 7 WP) we're using has some issues with IE and Mozilla browsers, which browser were you using?
Hello. My pleasure, and thank you for your email reply (we're on our way!)

The incompatibility I encountered was on Mac OS with 1. VPN regardless of browser, and 2. Mozilla without VPN, wherein the required EU opt-in checkbox was not visible, and so the form could not be submitted.

Separately: I am among those who thinks that Raven's UI would benefit from larger type. I see your design challenge, the space constraint. Not a typography expert, I think that between abbreviation (like "opto" already in use) and a slightly larger font that perhaps was also proportionally taller, readability could be improved.

Attached here is a mockup of where my Raven will live. 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:02 pm

synonymist wrote:
birdkid wrote:
synonymist wrote:
@goldi and synonymist

Hello. My pleasure, and thank you for your email reply (we're on our way!)

The incompatibility I encountered was on Mac OS with 1. VPN regardless of browser, and 2. Mozilla without VPN, wherein the required EU opt-in checkbox was not visible, and so the form could not be submitted.

Separately: I am among those who thinks that Raven's UI would benefit from larger type. I see your design challenge, the space constraint. Not a typography expert, I think that between abbreviation (like "opto" already in use) and a slightly larger font that perhaps was also proportionally taller, readability could be improved.

Attached here is a mockup of where my Raven will live. 8-)
Thank you dear Synonymist, I will investigate the VPN issue as soon as I can, Mozilla has been known to cause some issues with that 3rd party plug, but it has been reliable in terms of spam filtering and keeping submitted data safe. But I appreciate the technical report very much and will run it by the backend team.

Regarding the typeface and legibility, the good news: it's been done :tu:
I stood by my promise, regardless of aesthetic choices, the type point has been increased from the Kickstarter campaign prototype to the current panels:

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:03 pm

birdkid wrote:@scuto, oh it's not even a joke, we've all quietly gasped when the BOM (Bill of Materials) quantity added up on Excel ... must be doing something right.
I believed you about the 666 components, and for me it was funny you tied it into getting "help" from a demon-type-thing. While I'm not into numerology, myself, it certainly is fun when coincidences like the 666 BOM(b) happen! :sb:

cityz3n
Common Wiggler

Post by cityz3n » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:53 pm

birdkid wrote:
This looks so good...
"C’est l’histoire d’un homme qui tombe d’un immeuble de cinquante étages. Le mec, au fur et à mesure de sa chute il se répète sans cesse pour se rassurer : jusqu’ici tout va bien, jusqu’ici tout va bien, jusqu’ici tout va bien.
Mais l'important n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage."

chaosick
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chaosick » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:39 pm

birdkid wrote:Hey friends, sorry I just couldn't muster posting here so soon after Mr. McGrath's passing. We owe him so much for making this interaction between us possible. But I guess it's up to us to keep the torch lit and carry it.

First off, @chaossick:
It's a very rewarding process to be able to build a chair from scratch, the entire process, even if you're a great carpenter is like falling in Love again and again.
Sure you can get an ikea one, and it's functional, but life is too short for just "functional" right? We're in it for the ride, not counting the mileage :tu:

@scuto, oh it's not even a joke, we've all quietly gasped when the BOM (Bill of Materials) quantity added up on Excel ... must be doing something right.

@goldi and synonymist

Here's an excerpt from the functionality:
Absolutely! And agree with you about posting..very sad.

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:55 pm

birdkid wrote: Regarding the typeface and legibility, the good news: it's been done :tu:
I stood by my promise, regardless of aesthetic choices, the type point has been increased from the Kickstarter campaign prototype to the current panels:

Wow! Thank you, birdkid. :party: The new panel layout makes better use of the available space. And the larger type is more readable.

Congratulations. I am late to the game. But it's good to see that Raven matured so quickly, in no small part due to your responsiveness to players' suggestions. :tu:

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:55 am

synonymist wrote:
birdkid wrote: Regarding the typeface and legibility, the good news: it's been done :tu:

Wow! Thank you, birdkid. :party: The new panel layout makes better use of the available space. And the larger type is more readable.

Congratulations. I am late to the game. But it's good to see that Raven matured so quickly, in no small part due to your responsiveness to players' suggestions. :tu:
Thank you!! :party:
Yes, the feedback was invaluable, there's always room to have a conversation, even with a clear language and approach to design.
I feel especially with the RAVEN it's equal part our and the people's contribution to making it possible. So, now it's time to let it out into the world! :tu:

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Fri May 17, 2019 9:09 pm

birdkid wrote:I feel especially with the RAVEN it's equal part our and the people's contribution to making it possible. So, now it's time to let it out into the world! :tu:
Mike, FYI I just bought what must be one of the last few unsold examples of TheBateleur 42hp System. If all goes well, I should have it in one week.

Maybe secretly I had a completist's motive. But conciously I wanted to witness firsthand the evolution of the birdkids art. In the months before my RAVEN arrives, I will experience its ancestry. Thus my appreciation of its significance should be greater.

Also, I have reason to think that TheBateleur 42hp System will sound great and be fun to play. :)

Thanks to you and all the birdkids for your good work, the old and the new.
Last edited by synonymist on Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jenseits
Common Wiggler

Post by Jenseits » Sat May 18, 2019 2:39 am

Excellent choice Synonymist!
It is a great system on its own and of course integrates perfectly with other gear :)

I didn‘t preorder Raven simply because i don‘t need more voices atm but i read all new info about it and am absolutely sure it will excell in quality and sound!

For me the Bateleur is a dream come true. Here‘s my mobile setup and i think you‘ll understand that i‘m so happy with it :D

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Sat May 18, 2019 5:08 am

Jenseits wrote:Excellent choice Synonymist!
It is a great system on its own and of course integrates perfectly with other gear :)

I didn‘t preorder Raven simply because i don‘t need more voices atm but i read all new info about it and am absolutely sure it will excell in quality and sound!

For me the Bateleur is a dream come true. Here‘s my mobile setup and i think you‘ll understand that i‘m so happy with it :D
Hello Jenseits, and thank you. Although it seems that our criteria and workflow are quite different, soon we will have TheBateleur System in common. Your mobile setup is lovely and looks like sounding very good.

Dragonaut
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Sat May 18, 2019 6:45 am

Jenseits wrote:Excellent choice Synonymist!

Which AKGs are those? I'm digging the white...
https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

brickman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by brickman » Sat May 18, 2019 7:33 am

Jenseits
Common Wiggler

Post by Jenseits » Sat May 18, 2019 11:49 am

I don‘t think i said something about my workflow and the picture doesn‘t show all gear and options i have ;)
And my criteria is: do i need/want it? Can i afford it? Is built quality and sound good?
I don‘t think you‘re that different ;)

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Sun May 26, 2019 4:23 pm

synonymist wrote:
birdkid wrote:I feel especially with the RAVEN it's equal part our and the people's contribution to making it possible. So, now it's time to let it out into the world! :tu:
Mike, FYI I just bought what must be one of the last few unsold examples of TheBateleur System. If all goes well, I should have it in one week.

Maybe secretly I had a completist's motive. But conciously I wanted to witness firsthand the evolution of the birdkids art. In the months before my RAVEN arrives, I will experience its ancestry. Thus my appreciation of its significance should be greater.

Also, I have reason to think that TheBateleur System will sound great and be fun to play. :)

Oh wow, nice move :tu:
There is very little systems outthere in circulation, we've stopped producing those and the last units will be available through our official webshop:

birdkids @ Big Cartel

@jenseits, lovely picture :love: Very glad to hear you're digging it!

The first RAVEN batch finished production last week, next week we're calibrating the units and the shipping begins :sb:

Inbetween some jams and begun with the patches:
[video][/video]

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Wed May 29, 2019 3:02 pm

SB19 recap by the man himself, DivKid Ben :tu:

[video][/video]

We're shipping the first units next week :party:

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Wed May 29, 2019 8:34 pm

birdkid wrote:SB19 recap by the man himself, DivKid Ben :tu:

Mike, you are a deep guy. Good Luck to all the birdkids as you ship the first RAVENs!

Anyone interested in birdkids's recent work should see this video of a few days ago. Lovely scene and sounds:

[video][/video]

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Fri May 31, 2019 2:31 am

synonymist wrote:
birdkid wrote:SB19 recap by the man himself, DivKid Ben :tu:

Mike, you are a deep guy. Good Luck to all the birdkids as you ship the first RAVENs!

Anyone interested in birdkids's recent work should see this video of a few days ago. Lovely scene and sounds:

[video][/video]
:oops: Thank you sir!

Yeah, that's our Oasis of Zen in the 15th district of Vienna.
We run on Coffee and cake, our Cholesterol levels reflect that. :hail:

In case people wanna keep track with the RAVEN vids, or still haven't decided on Panel Options, here's the playlist:

[video][/video]
RAVEN playlist on YT

jakobprogsch
Common Wiggler

Post by jakobprogsch » Fri May 31, 2019 2:56 am

Jenseits wrote:I don‘t think i said something about my workflow and the picture doesn‘t show all gear and options i have ;)
And my criteria is: do i need/want it? Can i afford it? Is built quality and sound good?
Also: "Is it from Austria?" apparently :D

Jenseits
Common Wiggler

Post by Jenseits » Fri May 31, 2019 12:40 pm

You overlooked the Doepfer Attenuverter from my home country :D

Although i‘m german i‘m buying austrian.
That says something!
No it doesn‘t - other than: endorphin.es and birdkids are building most excellent equipment.
Would also buy their stuff if it would be from: lets say: barcelona

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:51 am

birdkid wrote:
synonymist wrote: Mike, FYI I just bought what must be one of the last few unsold examples of TheBateleur 42hp System...

There is very little systems outthere in circulation, we've stopped producing those and the last units will be available through our official webshop:

birdkids @ Big Cartel
Yesterday I finally got a chance to retrieve my TheBateleur 42hp System package. Beauty. Thank you, birdkids.

Not surprisingly, this is every bit the preview and precursor that I wanted as I await my RAVEN. Excellent and aesthetic craft, a fine and probably unique filter, and a bold and clear VCO (pseudo sine wave and all). I like the function of the EG module very much, although its hidden UI (that is, features or states that are neither labeled nor self-documenting, and thus are not discoverable) denies it perfection. The VCA is quick; it and the mixer work well and sound good. The headphone amp sounds fine. After you learn their meaning from the manual, the various lights are effective indicators of state and function.

Though I have yet to learn all its pathways, already I find TheBateleur 42hp System to be an elegant, powerful, and fine-sounding synthesizer voice. Also it can make a lot of sound at once, especially when patched into a larger system. It is an excellent and fun instrument. Based on this experience, I am very glad that I ordered a RAVEN.

Here are two tracks; two versions of one patch featuring my TheBateleur 42hp System. The first one is short. The second is shorter. All sounds are made with TheBateleur 42hp System modulated by STO and by itself, except the hi-hat which is TheBateleur 42hp System noise via Rings, and the "distant melodic line". Session notes are at the tracks' webpages:

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/tumbler

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/tumbler-reprise
Last edited by synonymist on Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:37 pm

synonymist wrote:
birdkid wrote:
synonymist wrote: Mike, FYI I just bought what must be one of the last few unsold examples of TheBateleur System...

birdkids @ Big Cartel
Yesterday I finally got a chance to retrieve my TheBateleur System package. Beauty. Thank you, birdkids.

Not surprisingly, this is every bit the preview and precursor that I wanted as I await my RAVEN. Excellent and aesthetic craft, a fine and probably unique filter, and a bold and clear VCO (pseudo sine wave and all). I like the function of the EG module very much, although its hidden UI (that is, features or states that are neither labeled nor self-documenting, and thus are not discoverable) denies it perfection. The VCA is quick; it and the mixer work well and sound good. The headphone amp sounds fine. After you learn their meaning from the manual, the various lights are effective indicators of state and function.

Though I have yet to learn all its pathways, already I find TheBateleur System to be an elegant, powerful, and fine-sounding synthesizer voice. Also it can make a lot of sound at once, especially when patched into a larger system. It is an excellent and fun instrument. Based on this experience, I am very glad that I ordered a RAVEN.

Here are two tracks; two versions of one patch featuring my TheBateleur System. The first one is short. The second is shorter. All sounds are made with TheBateleur System modulated by STO and by itself, except the hi-hat which is TheBateleur System noise via Rings, and the "distant melodic line". Session notes are at the tracks' webpages:

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/tumbler

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/tumbler-reprise
Oh I love those Jams! :hail:
They definitely show some different approaches that f.e. I would never come up with when constructing a patch being a melody-fascist of sorts, always proves that no matter how you plan out an instrument, in the artists hands it will get a life of its own and facets we couldn't even dream up.

For those curious, we've set up a playlist of sounds submitted to us for TheBateleur line: :cat: TheBateleur Playlist on SoundCloud :cgs:

Cannot thank you enough for the feedback, review and fair points presented regarding the system, dear synonymist!

I agree regarding the Envelope Generator, the possible depth is not perceivable through the UI, nor intuitive without a proper description.
I did put in hours constructing patches and documenting them to expand on the systems possibilities:
Patch Collection TB42hp System

But it's always a compromise when trying to condense functionality into a very limited space, I feel we've succeeded in creating more value than meets the eye, but it comes at a cost of having to take the plunge before realizing it's there. Fair point and one that we would be solving in a different manner in the year 2019, hence decisions in the RAVEN's UI which people will benefit as a trickle-down effect from previous experiences.

Having said that, I believe the 42hp System is a timeless instrument, with it's own limitations vis-a-vis spatial constraints, but I think we can agree it delivers on the sound spectrum :mrgreen:

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:38 am

birdkid wrote: Oh I love those Jams! :hail:
They definitely show some different approaches that f.e. I would never come up with when constructing a patch being a melody-fascist of sorts, always proves that no matter how you plan out an instrument, in the artists hands it will get a life of its own and facets we couldn't even dream up.

For those curious, we've set up a playlist of sounds submitted to us for TheBateleur line: :cat: TheBateleur Playlist on SoundCloud :cgs:

Cannot thank you enough for the feedback, review and fair points presented regarding the system, dear synonymist!

I agree regarding the Envelope Generator, the possible depth is not perceivable through the UI, nor intuitive without a proper description.
I did put in hours constructing patches and documenting them to expand on the systems possibilities:
Patch Collection TB42hp System

But it's always a compromise when trying to condense functionality into a very limited space, I feel we've succeeded in creating more value than meets the eye, but it comes at a cost of having to take the plunge before realizing it's there. Fair point and one that we would be solving in a different manner in the year 2019, hence decisions in the RAVEN's UI which people will benefit as a trickle-down effect from previous experiences.

Having said that, I believe the 42hp System is a timeless instrument, with it's own limitations vis-a-vis spatial constraints, but I think we can agree it delivers on the sound spectrum :mrgreen:
Thank you, Mike. It was my pleasure to post. And hey!, now I'm in a birdkids playlist. 8-)

Also: Sorry for omitting "42hp" from my references to the System. I remedied that wherever I could.

"a melody-fascist of sorts"... :hihi: It's all good. How exciting and rewarding it must be for instrument makers to hear what music others create with their inventions. Good for you and all the birdkids.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”