Birdkids ”Raven” ?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:12 am

While we await the sound of new RAVENs in the wild, here is more of The Bateleur 42hp System.

In this track it is the only sound source, modulated audio rate by Tš-L and itself, and with CV by others. The 42hp System is patched into a larger case. Session notes are at the track's webpage:

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/des-b ... ui-dansent

P.S. - I meant to do something pretty and melodic... Maybe next time!
Last edited by synonymist on Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

j_dowe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j_dowe » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:59 am

synonymist wrote:While we await the sound of new RAVENS in the wild, here is more of The Bateleur 42hp System.
love it! :tu:

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:39 am

j_dowe wrote:
synonymist wrote:While we await the sound of new RAVENS in the wild, here is more of The Bateleur 42hp System.
Thank you very much. :cloud:

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:20 pm

j_dowe wrote:
Second that! :tu: :tu: :tu:

RAVEN in the wild you say?

[video][/video]

1st batch shipping tomorrow :banana:

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:21 pm

birdkid wrote:
j_dowe wrote:
Second that! :tu: :tu: :tu:
Thank you! :cloud:

birdkid wrote:RAVEN in the wild you say?

Excellent job, Mike. This birdkids version is sweeter-sounding than the original. More gentle. Anyway, your modules sound good, man. :mrgreen:

birdkid wrote:1st batch shipping tomorrow :banana:
Congratulations to birdkids and all the soon to be RAVEN owners! :party:

whinger
Wiggling with Experience

Post by whinger » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:05 pm

birdkid wrote: 1st batch shipping tomorrow :banana:
Congratulations, that's awesome news!!!

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:28 am

whinger wrote:
birdkid wrote: 1st batch shipping tomorrow :banana:
Congratulations, that's awesome news!!!
Thank you dear whinger :)

It's been a crazy, wild, bonkers ride, but we made it... The RAVEN took flight, the 1st batch is fully dispatched. The 2nd batch well on the way to production and let's not forget all the benefits of digging extra-deep and upgrading so many features post campaign success.
And now, for those who didn't get a chance to participate, here's your time to shine.
RAVEN is finally available for PRE-ORDER

-----------
RAVEN is set for a minimum MSRP of 1149,- €
We will not make it available to external retail anytime before Q2-2020
As with any birdkids product, there is a lifetime warranty of service tied to the original buyer, to avoid 2nd hand mark-up for purchases made well below MSRP during the campaign and discourage ridiculous auction prices.
As always, we have you covered, don't hesitate and get yours straight from the workshop in Vienna, factory calibrated and Q.C.'ed :cgs:

foliephonics
Common Wiggler

Post by foliephonics » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:24 am

Got mine this morning. Got a new rack for it. Loads of fun ahead of me !
Just had a few minutes to test it. Had a hard time getting away.
I'm very happy !
:banana: :banana: :banana:

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:02 pm

foliephonics wrote:Got mine this morning. Got a new rack for it. Loads of fun ahead of me !
Just had a few minutes to test it. Had a hard time getting away.
I'm very happy !
:banana: :banana: :banana:

YAAAAAY! :banana: :bananaguitar: :nana:
ENJOY! :yay:

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:35 am

For those who might've missed out on our Newsletter and/or Kickstarter campaign updates:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/birdkids/raven-a-100-analog-synthesizer-voice-made-in-austr/posts/2550211

:banana: :nana:

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:15 pm

birdkid wrote:For those who might've missed out on our Newsletter and/or Kickstarter campaign updates:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/birdkids/raven-a-100-analog-synthesizer-voice-made-in-austr/posts/2550211

And, as if that weren't cool enough... Now there is an updated silver RAVEN panel on Modulargrid! :party:

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:30 am

synonymist wrote:
birdkid wrote:For those who might've missed out on our Newsletter and/or Kickstarter campaign updates:

And, as if that weren't cool enough... Now there is an updated silver RAVEN panel on Modulargrid! :party:

Yaaay!! I took the liberty of updating the listing on ModularGrid for the natural anodized option.

The initial listing was a (I´m sure very well meant) copy/paste from our December 2018 Kickstarter listing, but I thought instead of requesting a delete and discrediting, we can just bring it up to speed and approve.

Here the Natural Anodized option in a rack courtesy of the man himself, Maarten Vos (check his work, it´s a class of its own!):
Maarten Vos on Instagram

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:06 am

synonymist wrote:While we await the sound of new RAVENs in the wild, here is more of The Bateleur 42hp System.

In this track it is the only sound source, modulated audio rate by Tš-L and itself, and with CV by others. The 42hp System is patched into a larger case. Session notes are at the track's webpage...
Here is a new piece in which basically it's the same deal.

However, Tš-L does only a kick drum. The Bateleur 42hp System is the source of all other sounds, and it is not audio rate modulated by any other module.

This time I got further into the birdkids EG module. Tiny yet powerful (if oblique, as has been discussed) and fun; good in cross-patching with another system:

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/dawdle

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:50 am

synonymist wrote:
synonymist wrote:While we await the sound of new RAVENs in the wild, here is more of The Bateleur 42hp System.

In this track it is the only sound source, modulated audio rate by Tš-L and itself, and with CV by others. The 42hp System is patched into a larger case. Session notes are at the track's webpage...

However, Tš-L does only a kick drum. The Bateleur 42hp System is the source of all other sounds, and it is not audio rate modulated by any other module.

This time I got further into the birdkids EG module. Tiny yet powerful (if oblique, as has been discussed) and fun; good in cross-patching with another system:

I love this one, so much growwwl also the setup on the SC page. Very different approach. I'm curious how the RAVEN would integrate into the setup, mystery should be solved soon :)

Currently prepping a small video-demo rig myself:

Gonna try a stream on fb later tonight > https://www.facebook.com/Birdkids

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:48 am

birdkid wrote:
synonymist wrote:

I love this one, so much growwwl
Thank you, Mike!

I just re-equalized the master. There was too much self-indulgent low end. Now the low end is softer and tighter, and there is a touch more vocal resonance in the growl.

birdkid wrote:also the setup on the SC page. Very different approach. I'm curious how the RAVEN would integrate into the setup, mystery should be solved soon :)
That is my main case among three of that size. At first my RAVEN will live in a smaller fourth case, probably accompanied by a triple wavefolder, ring modulator, and VC ADSR, all analog.

RAVEN will integrate nicely with all my cases. :D

birdkid wrote: Currently prepping a small video-demo rig myself:

Gonna try a stream on fb later tonight > https://www.facebook.com/Birdkids
Cool and interesting. In addition to RAVEN I see two EG and one Bateleur modules, which I understand. What's different is the three power/MIDI modules. Three! Each of them has power and MIDI connected. One is passing pitch and gate, another is passing pitch. Hmmm...

j_dowe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j_dowe » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:40 am

synonymist wrote: This time I got further into the birdkids EG module. Tiny yet powerful (if oblique, as has been discussed) and fun; good in cross-patching with another system:

Beautiful sounding synonymist. Any details on how the birdkids EG differs from other ADSRs? i have the Bateleur, Mixer, Expander, but not the EG. I have another ADSR (System X Envelope by Frequency Central) and Make Noise EGs, but am always wondering if I'm missing part of the birdkids magic.

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:38 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by synonymist on Sat May 23, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

j_dowe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j_dowe » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:02 pm

Such great information synonymist! That gives me a good view of how it affects the shape & sound. I can definitely see it has some thoughtful design put into it, which I expect from birdkids. Hopefully I can find one somewhere, since I've only seen it sold w/ the 42hp system (I could be wrong about that).

Many thanks!

:tu:

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:51 pm

j_dowe wrote:Such great information synonymist! That gives me a good view of how it affects the shape & sound. I can definitely see it has some thoughtful design put into it, which I expect from birdkids. Hopefully I can find one somewhere, since I've only seen it sold w/ the 42hp system (I could be wrong about that).

Many thanks!

You are quite welcome. I'm glad that was helpful. Hopefully it was also at least mostly accurate. :mrgreen:

Probably you are right about the availability of the EG module. I think that you should ask birdkids if you can buy the EG directly from them.

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:06 pm

synonymist wrote:
j_dowe wrote:Such great information synonymist! That gives me a good view of how it affects the shape & sound. I can definitely see it has some thoughtful design put into it, which I expect from birdkids. Hopefully I can find one somewhere, since I've only seen it sold w/ the 42hp system (I could be wrong about that).

Many thanks!

You are quite welcome. I'm glad that was helpful. Hopefully it was also at least mostly accurate. :mrgreen:

Probably you are right about the availability of the EG module. I think that you should ask birdkids if you can buy the EG directly from them.
At least mostly accurate? Sir that was the best, most accurate, most comprehensive description I've ever heard of the EG. :woah:

Wish I had that degree of lucidity.

Regarding availability, most of them are gone afaik.. you might find the odd Envelope at one of our dealers. But if there is actual interest, I mean like a group buy of 10, I can inquire at our distribution if they have some stock by chance.
Do let me know, TheBateleur series is officially discontinued from production as you've already heard, and we're not planning any envelopes anytime soon as the full focus is on the RAVEN at the moment :deadbanana:

For those not on FB, here's a mediocre quality (360p) reupload on YouTube:
[video][/video]

j_dowe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j_dowe » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:37 pm

birdkid wrote: Regarding availability, most of them are gone afaik.. you might find the odd Envelope at one of our dealers. But if there is actual interest, I mean like a group buy of 10, I can inquire at our distribution if they have some stock by chance.
I'm interested, but I don't think we'll get a group buy up to 10... so I'll just keep my eyes out for one.

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:53 pm

birdkid wrote:
synonymist wrote:

Many thanks!

At least mostly accurate? Sir that was the best, most accurate, most comprehensive description I've ever heard of the EG. :woah:

Wish I had that degree of lucidity...
You are too kind, Sir. The narrative part, I thought it through, speaking it aloud to myself first. Then I just typed what I said. The specs part, I culled from your documentation, of course. ;)

birdkid wrote:For those not on FB, here's a mediocre quality (360p) reupload on YouTube:
As someone who does not use FB, and whose default web browser config blocks a lot of FB content, I appreciate this. Even with its 360p handicap, the video can't hide what a fine audio synthesizer RAVEN is. Man, when finally I get mine, I am going to play the freq. out of it. :)

Edit: I forgot to say that upon watching the video I saw the purpose of the multiple power/MIDI modules. Power requirements aside, each power/MIDI handles one MIDI channel; thus (notably) each channel's pitch values can be used as CV by a different VCO.

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:53 am

synonymist wrote:
birdkid wrote:
synonymist wrote:

Many thanks!

Wish I had that degree of lucidity...
You are too kind, Sir. The narrative part, I thought it through, speaking it aloud to myself first. Then I just typed what I said. The specs part, I culled from your documentation, of course. ;)

birdkid wrote:For those not on FB, here's a mediocre quality (360p) reupload on YouTube:
As someone who does not use FB, and whose default web browser config blocks a lot of FB content, I appreciate this. Even with its 360p handicap, the video can't hide what a fine audio synthesizer RAVEN is. Man, when finally I get mine, I am going to play the freq. out of it. :)

Edit: I forgot to say that upon watching the video I saw the purpose of the multiple power/MIDI modules. Power requirements aside, each power/MIDI handles one MIDI channel; thus (notably) each channel's pitch values can be used as CV by a different VCO.
Yes, I'm aware that in most real-world cases people would try to consolidate, let alone rarely buy multiple units of the same module, but for our rig, having the entire system run on Power / MIDIs made a lot of sense.

In actuality a single Power / MIDI would suffice to power this combo, but having three was necessary to supply multiple 1v/oct and modulation sources for future patches.

Here's stream nr. 02:
[video][/video]

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:34 pm

j_dowe wrote:
birdkid wrote: Regarding availability, most of them are gone afaik.. you might find the odd Envelope at one of our dealers. But if there is actual interest, I mean like a group buy of 10, I can inquire at our distribution if they have some stock by chance.
I'm interested, but I don't think we'll get a group buy up to 10... so I'll just keep my eyes out for one.
Absolutely, do keep an eye out for 2nd hand sales, it's a digital module, so it either works fully or not at all :mrgreen:

And for those who are still on the fence regarding RAVEN & something to go with it, here's a bundle we've created to be found here:

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:23 am

For those not on social media, we've uploaded and published the nearly complete Technical Definitions of RAVEN:

Technical Definitions PDF

THD and various other measurements are still to be published...

Return to “Eurorack Modules”