MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Birdkids ”Raven” ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Birdkids ”Raven” ?
Jenseits
You overlooked the Doepfer Attenuverter from my home country grin

Although i‘m german i‘m buying austrian.
That says something!
No it doesn‘t - other than: endorphin.es and birdkids are building most excellent equipment.
Would also buy their stuff if it would be from: lets say: barcelona
synonymist
birdkid wrote:
synonymist wrote:

Mike, FYI I just bought what must be one of the last few unsold examples of TheBateleur 42hp System...

Thanks to you and all the birdkids for your good work, the old and the new.


Oh wow, nice move thumbs up
There is very little systems outthere in circulation, we've stopped producing those and the last units will be available through our official webshop:

birdkids @ Big Cartel


Yesterday I finally got a chance to retrieve my TheBateleur 42hp System package. Beauty. Thank you, birdkids.

Not surprisingly, this is every bit the preview and precursor that I wanted as I await my RAVEN. Excellent and aesthetic craft, a fine and probably unique filter, and a bold and clear VCO (pseudo sine wave and all). I like the function of the EG module very much, although its hidden UI (that is, features or states that are neither labeled nor self-documenting, and thus are not discoverable) denies it perfection. The VCA is quick; it and the mixer work well and sound good. The headphone amp sounds fine. After you learn their meaning from the manual, the various lights are effective indicators of state and function.

Though I have yet to learn all its pathways, already I find TheBateleur 42hp System to be an elegant, powerful, and fine-sounding synthesizer voice. Also it can make a lot of sound at once, especially when patched into a larger system. It is an excellent and fun instrument. Based on this experience, I am very glad that I ordered a RAVEN.

Here are two tracks; two versions of one patch featuring my TheBateleur 42hp System. The first one is short. The second is shorter. All sounds are made with TheBateleur 42hp System modulated by STO and by itself, except the hi-hat which is TheBateleur 42hp System noise via Rings, and the "distant melodic line". Session notes are at the tracks' webpages:

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/tumbler

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/tumbler-reprise
birdkid
synonymist wrote:
birdkid wrote:
synonymist wrote:

Mike, FYI I just bought what must be one of the last few unsold examples of TheBateleur System...

Thanks to you and all the birdkids for your good work, the old and the new.


Oh wow, nice move thumbs up
There is very little systems outthere in circulation, we've stopped producing those and the last units will be available through our official webshop:

birdkids @ Big Cartel


Yesterday I finally got a chance to retrieve my TheBateleur System package. Beauty. Thank you, birdkids.

Not surprisingly, this is every bit the preview and precursor that I wanted as I await my RAVEN. Excellent and aesthetic craft, a fine and probably unique filter, and a bold and clear VCO (pseudo sine wave and all). I like the function of the EG module very much, although its hidden UI (that is, features or states that are neither labeled nor self-documenting, and thus are not discoverable) denies it perfection. The VCA is quick; it and the mixer work well and sound good. The headphone amp sounds fine. After you learn their meaning from the manual, the various lights are effective indicators of state and function.

Though I have yet to learn all its pathways, already I find TheBateleur System to be an elegant, powerful, and fine-sounding synthesizer voice. Also it can make a lot of sound at once, especially when patched into a larger system. It is an excellent and fun instrument. Based on this experience, I am very glad that I ordered a RAVEN.

Here are two tracks; two versions of one patch featuring my TheBateleur System. The first one is short. The second is shorter. All sounds are made with TheBateleur System modulated by STO and by itself, except the hi-hat which is TheBateleur System noise via Rings, and the "distant melodic line". Session notes are at the tracks' webpages:

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/tumbler

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/tumbler-reprise


Oh I love those Jams! we're not worthy
They definitely show some different approaches that f.e. I would never come up with when constructing a patch being a melody-fascist of sorts, always proves that no matter how you plan out an instrument, in the artists hands it will get a life of its own and facets we couldn't even dream up.

For those curious, we've set up a playlist of sounds submitted to us for TheBateleur line: Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat. TheBateleur Playlist on SoundCloud Cat Girl Synth

Cannot thank you enough for the feedback, review and fair points presented regarding the system, dear synonymist!

I agree regarding the Envelope Generator, the possible depth is not perceivable through the UI, nor intuitive without a proper description.
I did put in hours constructing patches and documenting them to expand on the systems possibilities:
Patch Collection TB42hp System

But it's always a compromise when trying to condense functionality into a very limited space, I feel we've succeeded in creating more value than meets the eye, but it comes at a cost of having to take the plunge before realizing it's there. Fair point and one that we would be solving in a different manner in the year 2019, hence decisions in the RAVEN's UI which people will benefit as a trickle-down effect from previous experiences.

Having said that, I believe the 42hp System is a timeless instrument, with it's own limitations vis-a-vis spatial constraints, but I think we can agree it delivers on the sound spectrum Mr. Green
synonymist
birdkid wrote:

Oh I love those Jams! we're not worthy
They definitely show some different approaches that f.e. I would never come up with when constructing a patch being a melody-fascist of sorts, always proves that no matter how you plan out an instrument, in the artists hands it will get a life of its own and facets we couldn't even dream up.

For those curious, we've set up a playlist of sounds submitted to us for TheBateleur line: Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat. TheBateleur Playlist on SoundCloud Cat Girl Synth

Cannot thank you enough for the feedback, review and fair points presented regarding the system, dear synonymist!

I agree regarding the Envelope Generator, the possible depth is not perceivable through the UI, nor intuitive without a proper description.
I did put in hours constructing patches and documenting them to expand on the systems possibilities:
Patch Collection TB42hp System

But it's always a compromise when trying to condense functionality into a very limited space, I feel we've succeeded in creating more value than meets the eye, but it comes at a cost of having to take the plunge before realizing it's there. Fair point and one that we would be solving in a different manner in the year 2019, hence decisions in the RAVEN's UI which people will benefit as a trickle-down effect from previous experiences.

Having said that, I believe the 42hp System is a timeless instrument, with it's own limitations vis-a-vis spatial constraints, but I think we can agree it delivers on the sound spectrum Mr. Green


Thank you, Mike. It was my pleasure to post. And hey!, now I'm in a birdkids playlist. cool

Also: Sorry for omitting "42hp" from my references to the System. I remedied that wherever I could.

"a melody-fascist of sorts"... hihi It's all good. How exciting and rewarding it must be for instrument makers to hear what music others create with their inventions. Good for you and all the birdkids.
synonymist
While we await the sound of new RAVENs in the wild, here is more of The Bateleur 42hp System.

In this track it is the only sound source, modulated audio rate by Tš-L and itself, and with CV by others. The 42hp System is patched into a larger case. Session notes are at the track's webpage:

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/des-bateleurs-qui-dansent


P.S. - I meant to do something pretty and melodic... Maybe next time!
j_dowe
synonymist wrote:
While we await the sound of new RAVENS in the wild, here is more of The Bateleur 42hp System.


love it! thumbs up
synonymist
j_dowe wrote:
synonymist wrote:
While we await the sound of new RAVENS in the wild, here is more of The Bateleur 42hp System.


love it! thumbs up


Thank you very much. This is fun!
birdkid
j_dowe wrote:
synonymist wrote:
While we await the sound of new RAVENS in the wild, here is more of The Bateleur 42hp System.


love it! thumbs up


Second that! thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

RAVEN in the wild you say?



1st batch shipping tomorrow It's peanut butter jelly time!
synonymist
birdkid wrote:
j_dowe wrote:
synonymist wrote:
While we await the sound of new RAVENS in the wild, here is more of The Bateleur 42hp System.

love it! thumbs up

Second that! thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

Thank you! This is fun!


birdkid wrote:
RAVEN in the wild you say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgIeJW1Ajho


Excellent job, Mike. This birdkids version is sweeter-sounding than the original. More gentle. Anyway, your modules sound good, man. Mr. Green


birdkid wrote:
1st batch shipping tomorrow It's peanut butter jelly time!

Congratulations to birdkids and all the soon to be RAVEN owners! w00t
whinger
birdkid wrote:
1st batch shipping tomorrow It's peanut butter jelly time!


Congratulations, that's awesome news!!!
birdkid
whinger wrote:
birdkid wrote:
1st batch shipping tomorrow It's peanut butter jelly time!


Congratulations, that's awesome news!!!


Thank you dear whinger smile

It's been a crazy, wild, bonkers ride, but we made it... The RAVEN took flight, the 1st batch is fully dispatched. The 2nd batch well on the way to production and let's not forget all the benefits of digging extra-deep and upgrading so many features post campaign success.
And now, for those who didn't get a chance to participate, here's your time to shine.
RAVEN is finally available for PRE-ORDER



-----------
RAVEN is set for a minimum MSRP of 1149,- €
We will not make it available to external retail anytime before Q2-2020
As with any birdkids product, there is a lifetime warranty of service tied to the original buyer, to avoid 2nd hand mark-up for purchases made well below MSRP during the campaign and discourage ridiculous auction prices.
As always, we have you covered, don't hesitate and get yours straight from the workshop in Vienna, factory calibrated and Q.C.'ed Cat Girl Synth
foliephonics
Got mine this morning. Got a new rack for it. Loads of fun ahead of me !

Just had a few minutes to test it. Had a hard time getting away.
I'm very happy !
It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time!
birdkid
foliephonics wrote:
Got mine this morning. Got a new rack for it. Loads of fun ahead of me !

Just had a few minutes to test it. Had a hard time getting away.
I'm very happy !
It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time!



YAAAAAY! It's peanut butter jelly time! Rockin' Banana! nanners
ENJOY! applause
birdkid
For those who might've missed out on our Newsletter and/or Kickstarter campaign updates:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/birdkids/raven-a-100-analog-synth esizer-voice-made-in-austr/posts/2550211



It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners
synonymist
birdkid wrote:
For those who might've missed out on our Newsletter and/or Kickstarter campaign updates:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/birdkids/raven-a-100-analog-synth esizer-voice-made-in-austr/posts/2550211




And, as if that weren't cool enough... Now there is an updated silver RAVEN panel on Modulargrid! w00t

birdkid
synonymist wrote:
birdkid wrote:
For those who might've missed out on our Newsletter and/or Kickstarter campaign updates:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/birdkids/raven-a-100-analog-synth esizer-voice-made-in-austr/posts/2550211




And, as if that weren't cool enough... Now there is an updated silver RAVEN panel on Modulargrid! w00t



Yaaay!! I took the liberty of updating the listing on ModularGrid for the natural anodized option.

The initial listing was a (I´m sure very well meant) copy/paste from our December 2018 Kickstarter listing, but I thought instead of requesting a delete and discrediting, we can just bring it up to speed and approve.

Here the Natural Anodized option in a rack courtesy of the man himself, Maarten Vos (check his work, it´s a class of its own!):

Maarten Vos on Instagram
synonymist
synonymist wrote:
While we await the sound of new RAVENs in the wild, here is more of The Bateleur 42hp System.

In this track it is the only sound source, modulated audio rate by Tš-L and itself, and with CV by others. The 42hp System is patched into a larger case. Session notes are at the track's webpage...

Here is a new piece in which basically it's the same deal.

However, Tš-L does only a kick drum. The Bateleur 42hp System is the source of all other sounds, and it is not audio rate modulated by any other module.

This time I got further into the birdkids EG module. Tiny yet powerful (if oblique, as has been discussed) and fun; good in cross-patching with another system:

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/dawdle
birdkid
synonymist wrote:
synonymist wrote:
While we await the sound of new RAVENs in the wild, here is more of The Bateleur 42hp System.

In this track it is the only sound source, modulated audio rate by Tš-L and itself, and with CV by others. The 42hp System is patched into a larger case. Session notes are at the track's webpage...

Here is a new piece in which basically it's the same deal.

However, Tš-L does only a kick drum. The Bateleur 42hp System is the source of all other sounds, and it is not audio rate modulated by any other module.

This time I got further into the birdkids EG module. Tiny yet powerful (if oblique, as has been discussed) and fun; good in cross-patching with another system:

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/dawdle


I love this one, so much growwwl also the setup on the SC page. Very different approach. I'm curious how the RAVEN would integrate into the setup, mystery should be solved soon smile

Currently prepping a small video-demo rig myself:


Gonna try a stream on fb later tonight > https://www.facebook.com/Birdkids
synonymist
birdkid wrote:
synonymist wrote:
synonymist wrote:
While we await the sound of new RAVENs in the wild, here is more of The Bateleur 42hp System.

In this track it is the only sound source, modulated audio rate by Tš-L and itself, and with CV by others. The 42hp System is patched into a larger case. Session notes are at the track's webpage...

Here is a new piece in which basically it's the same deal.

However, Tš-L does only a kick drum. The Bateleur 42hp System is the source of all other sounds, and it is not audio rate modulated by any other module.

This time I got further into the birdkids EG module. Tiny yet powerful (if oblique, as has been discussed) and fun; good in cross-patching with another system:

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/dawdle


I love this one, so much growwwl

Thank you, Mike!

I just re-equalized the master. There was too much self-indulgent low end. Now the low end is softer and tighter, and there is a touch more vocal resonance in the growl.


birdkid wrote:
also the setup on the SC page. Very different approach. I'm curious how the RAVEN would integrate into the setup, mystery should be solved soon smile

That is my main case among three of that size. At first my RAVEN will live in a smaller fourth case, probably accompanied by a triple wavefolder, ring modulator, and VC ADSR, all analog.

RAVEN will integrate nicely with all my cases. grin


birdkid wrote:

Currently prepping a small video-demo rig myself:


Gonna try a stream on fb later tonight > https://www.facebook.com/Birdkids

Cool and interesting. In addition to RAVEN I see two EG and one Bateleur modules, which I understand. What's different is the three power/MIDI modules. Three! Each of them has power and MIDI connected. One is passing pitch and gate, another is passing pitch. Hmmm...
j_dowe
synonymist wrote:

This time I got further into the birdkids EG module. Tiny yet powerful (if oblique, as has been discussed) and fun; good in cross-patching with another system:

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/dawdle


Beautiful sounding synonymist. Any details on how the birdkids EG differs from other ADSRs? i have the Bateleur, Mixer, Expander, but not the EG. I have another ADSR (System X Envelope by Frequency Central) and Make Noise EGs, but am always wondering if I'm missing part of the birdkids magic.
synonymist
j_dowe wrote:
synonymist wrote:

This time I got further into the birdkids EG module. Tiny yet powerful (if oblique, as has been discussed) and fun; good in cross-patching with another system:

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/dawdle


Beautiful sounding synonymist. Any details on how the birdkids EG differs from other ADSRs? i have the Bateleur, Mixer, Expander, but not the EG. I have another ADSR (System X Envelope by Frequency Central) and Make Noise EGs, but am always wondering if I'm missing part of the birdkids magic.

Thank you very much, j_dowe.

Although I never played the System X Envelope, I do have Function and Maths. Also, in addition to other EGs or FGs I ever played, I have for comparison Black Dual EG/LFO, VC ADSR, Cèis, o_C, and Double Andore Mark II.

In my estimation what makes the birdkids EG "special" is its envelope types; which birdkids calls "variable stage-curvature" in its documentation, and the control for which is labeled "mode" on the module. Let's use "mode" for now. smile

My brief experience with the module tells me that birdkids carefully tuned the modes and other parameters of their EG to be useful and (if I may use the term) musical throughout the range of their intersections.

The basic design of the birdkids EG follows the East Coast tradition of ADSR-type envelopes. But from that basis it departs in two ways: 1. the variety of envelope modes, which includes ones that hold and/or loop, and 2. the range of fixed envelope length settings, which is labeled "time" on the module.

Though not unprecedented, the set of envelope modes is well considered. The modes are also useful; both used alone or with other EGs or FGs. My guess is that the decision to use fixed envelope length settings was an adaptation to the tiny physical size of the module.

For someone who doesn't need their ADSR to be voltage controllable (for that I have VC ADSR, Cèis, and o_C), birdkids EG is a powerful little package that I think has a great feel in use. As has been said, its only downside is that the nature of and access to some of the modes are nearly undiscoverable without the documentation.

Here are the birdkids EG module envelope mode and time settings. Also (without permission, so I hope it's okay), attached here is the specs document for TheBateleur 42hp System, that includes documentation of the EG:

ADSR (default)
ADSR loop-on-gate
ADR loop
AHDSR
AHDSR loop-on-gate
AHDR

ATTACK
Short (default): 0.002s - 0.3s
Mid: 0.005s - 2s
Long: 0.5s - 30s
Attack stage length control in ADSR mode(s), Attack and Decay (Inverse Attack) stages length control combined in AHDSR mode(s)

DECAY
Short (default): 0.002s - 0.6s
Mid: 0.005s - 5s
Long: 0.5s - 30s
Decay stage length control in ADSR mode(s), Hold stage length control in AHDSR mode(s)

SUSTAIN
0V - 10V
Sustain stage amplitude control

RELEASE
Short (default): 0.01s - 2.5s
Mid: 0.05s - 10s
Long: 1s - 30s
Release stage length control
j_dowe
Such great information synonymist! That gives me a good view of how it affects the shape & sound. I can definitely see it has some thoughtful design put into it, which I expect from birdkids. Hopefully I can find one somewhere, since I've only seen it sold w/ the 42hp system (I could be wrong about that).

Many thanks!

thumbs up
synonymist
j_dowe wrote:
Such great information synonymist! That gives me a good view of how it affects the shape & sound. I can definitely see it has some thoughtful design put into it, which I expect from birdkids. Hopefully I can find one somewhere, since I've only seen it sold w/ the 42hp system (I could be wrong about that).

Many thanks!

thumbs up

You are quite welcome. I'm glad that was helpful. Hopefully it was also at least mostly accurate. Mr. Green

Probably you are right about the availability of the EG module. I think that you should ask birdkids if you can buy the EG directly from them.
birdkid
synonymist wrote:
j_dowe wrote:
Such great information synonymist! That gives me a good view of how it affects the shape & sound. I can definitely see it has some thoughtful design put into it, which I expect from birdkids. Hopefully I can find one somewhere, since I've only seen it sold w/ the 42hp system (I could be wrong about that).

Many thanks!

thumbs up

You are quite welcome. I'm glad that was helpful. Hopefully it was also at least mostly accurate. Mr. Green

Probably you are right about the availability of the EG module. I think that you should ask birdkids if you can buy the EG directly from them.


At least mostly accurate? Sir that was the best, most accurate, most comprehensive description I've ever heard of the EG. woah

Wish I had that degree of lucidity.

Regarding availability, most of them are gone afaik.. you might find the odd Envelope at one of our dealers. But if there is actual interest, I mean like a group buy of 10, I can inquire at our distribution if they have some stock by chance.
Do let me know, TheBateleur series is officially discontinued from production as you've already heard, and we're not planning any envelopes anytime soon as the full focus is on the RAVEN at the moment Dead Banana

For those not on FB, here's a mediocre quality (360p) reupload on YouTube:
j_dowe
birdkid wrote:

Regarding availability, most of them are gone afaik.. you might find the odd Envelope at one of our dealers. But if there is actual interest, I mean like a group buy of 10, I can inquire at our distribution if they have some stock by chance.


I'm interested, but I don't think we'll get a group buy up to 10... so I'll just keep my eyes out for one.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 7 of 8
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group