MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Birdkids ”Raven” ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 [all]
Author Birdkids ”Raven” ?
synonymist
birdkid wrote:
synonymist wrote:
j_dowe wrote:
Such great information synonymist! That gives me a good view of how it affects the shape & sound. I can definitely see it has some thoughtful design put into it, which I expect from birdkids. Hopefully I can find one somewhere, since I've only seen it sold w/ the 42hp system (I could be wrong about that).

Many thanks!

thumbs up

You are quite welcome. I'm glad that was helpful. Hopefully it was also at least mostly accurate. Mr. Green

Probably you are right about the availability of the EG module. I think that you should ask birdkids if you can buy the EG directly from them.

At least mostly accurate? Sir that was the best, most accurate, most comprehensive description I've ever heard of the EG. woah

Wish I had that degree of lucidity...

You are too kind, Sir. The narrative part, I thought it through, speaking it aloud to myself first. Then I just typed what I said. The specs part, I culled from your documentation, of course. wink

birdkid wrote:
For those not on FB, here's a mediocre quality (360p) reupload on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtEFxdtXF3w

As someone who does not use FB, and whose default web browser config blocks a lot of FB content, I appreciate this. Even with its 360p handicap, the video can't hide what a fine audio synthesizer RAVEN is. Man, when finally I get mine, I am going to play the freq. out of it. smile

Edit: I forgot to say that upon watching the video I saw the purpose of the multiple power/MIDI modules. Power requirements aside, each power/MIDI handles one MIDI channel; thus (notably) each channel's pitch values can be used as CV by a different VCO.
birdkid
synonymist wrote:
birdkid wrote:
synonymist wrote:
j_dowe wrote:
Such great information synonymist! That gives me a good view of how it affects the shape & sound. I can definitely see it has some thoughtful design put into it, which I expect from birdkids. Hopefully I can find one somewhere, since I've only seen it sold w/ the 42hp system (I could be wrong about that).

Many thanks!

thumbs up

You are quite welcome. I'm glad that was helpful. Hopefully it was also at least mostly accurate. Mr. Green

Probably you are right about the availability of the EG module. I think that you should ask birdkids if you can buy the EG directly from them.

At least mostly accurate? Sir that was the best, most accurate, most comprehensive description I've ever heard of the EG. woah

Wish I had that degree of lucidity...

You are too kind, Sir. The narrative part, I thought it through, speaking it aloud to myself first. Then I just typed what I said. The specs part, I culled from your documentation, of course. wink

birdkid wrote:
For those not on FB, here's a mediocre quality (360p) reupload on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtEFxdtXF3w

As someone who does not use FB, and whose default web browser config blocks a lot of FB content, I appreciate this. Even with its 360p handicap, the video can't hide what a fine audio synthesizer RAVEN is. Man, when finally I get mine, I am going to play the freq. out of it. smile

Edit: I forgot to say that upon watching the video I saw the purpose of the multiple power/MIDI modules. Power requirements aside, each power/MIDI handles one MIDI channel; thus (notably) each channel's pitch values can be used as CV by a different VCO.

Yes, I'm aware that in most real-world cases people would try to consolidate, let alone rarely buy multiple units of the same module, but for our rig, having the entire system run on Power / MIDIs made a lot of sense.

In actuality a single Power / MIDI would suffice to power this combo, but having three was necessary to supply multiple 1v/oct and modulation sources for future patches.

Here's stream nr. 02:
birdkid
j_dowe wrote:
birdkid wrote:

Regarding availability, most of them are gone afaik.. you might find the odd Envelope at one of our dealers. But if there is actual interest, I mean like a group buy of 10, I can inquire at our distribution if they have some stock by chance.

I'm interested, but I don't think we'll get a group buy up to 10... so I'll just keep my eyes out for one.

Absolutely, do keep an eye out for 2nd hand sales, it's a digital module, so it either works fully or not at all Mr. Green

And for those who are still on the fence regarding RAVEN & something to go with it, here's a bundle we've created to be found here:
birdkid
For those not on social media, we've uploaded and published the nearly complete Technical Definitions of RAVEN:

Technical Definitions PDF

THD and various other measurements are still to be published...
birdkid
The Twins in action:

And some CC to CV Shenanigans:
synonymist
birdkid wrote:
For those not on social media,

That'd be me. Mr. Green

birdkid wrote:
we've uploaded and published the nearly complete Technical Definitions of RAVEN:

Technical Definitions PDF

THD and various other measurements are still to be published...

Beautiful, Mike. Thank you!
birdkid
synonymist wrote:

Beautiful, Mike. Thank you!

My pleasure, there's more info coming in soon on measurements Cat Girl Synth

R&UB chasing the rainbow:
birdkid

Missed your chance at pre-ordering RAVEN?
Been pondering switching from TheBateleur line?
We've got something just for you!

An exclusive, time-limited Value Trade In offer!
3 easy steps to your RAVEN.

Find out all about it here: https://birdkids.org/raven-tradein/

• Offer runs from 07.08.2019 - 15.08.2019.
One Trade-In per person.
Either MKI/MKII of the VCO is eligible.
Either 6HP / 8HP Expander is eligible.
• The base value of your unit(s) does not depend on its physical state!
HBCoffin
Any updates on the next batch?
birdkid
HBCoffin wrote:

Dear HBCoffin, sorry for the late reply, we are in the process of moving to a new space with the core design/visualisation team - the 2nd batch is nearing the end of production and soon we'll be entering calibration, most likely the first units will be shipped by the end of the month. Of course all pre-orders and backers will be notified in time and shipping address confirmed before dispatch and tracking as usual. I'll be back to normal customer support operations latest next week, if there are any emails I haven't replied to yet, it's just a matter of days and I apologize for any delay in communication oops
HBCoffin
birdkid wrote:
HBCoffin wrote:

Dear HBCoffin, sorry for the late reply, we are in the process of moving to a new space with the core design/visualisation team - the 2nd batch is nearing the end of production and soon we'll be entering calibration, most likely the first units will be shipped by the end of the month. Of course all pre-orders and backers will be notified in time and shipping address confirmed before dispatch and tracking as usual. I'll be back to normal customer support operations latest next week, if there are any emails I haven't replied to yet, it's just a matter of days and I apologize for any delay in communication oops

Thanks for the update! thumbs up
MikeLeeBirds

What a beauty!
I just did some basic patching and love the sound.

Question: the raw oscillators sound thick, lush and loud. Beautiful!
After going through the filter the volume drops by about half (with cutoff at 100%/fully open, no resonance and no modulation). I say about half because that’s what it feels like. I don’t have the equipment to measure the actual difference.
Going straight into the VCA (bypassing the filter) the volume does not drop.
Is that normal?

birdkid, should I record an audio example and send it to you?
birdkid
MikeLeeBirds wrote:

What a beauty!
I just did some basic patching and love the sound.

Question: the raw oscillators sound thick, lush and loud. Beautiful!
After going through the filter the volume drops by about half (with cutoff at 100%/fully open, no resonance and no modulation). I say about half because that’s what it feels like. I don’t have the equipment to measure the actual difference.
Going straight into the VCA (bypassing the filter) the volume does not drop.
Is that normal?

birdkid, should I record an audio example and send it to you?

Dear MikeLeeBirds, first of all, thank you so much for taking the time to test RAVEN thumbs up
To give you a proper reply, I'm missing a few data points to evaluate the patch. Would you be able to post a snapshot, or maybe sketch it out.
There is a patch-sheet available on our website here.

Generally speaking, we could start by looking at the signal flow diagram.

There's a rather large number of scenarios how a waveform could end of in the VCF section.
i.e.

did it go through the CROSSFADEER section first?
    If so, are multiple waveforms being summed in the CROSSFADER?
    If so, what are their amounts? CF position?
    Did the CROSSFADER section go directly into the VCF, if so, what's the vcf in value?
    If so, does the VCF go in to the VCA?
    If so, which VCA mode is on?

To have a grasp on the technical side of things, we might wanna consult the specs.

I would say, from personal experience and having worked with other users in patch scenarios, the biggest freedom lies in the three "nodes" CF input, VCF input, VCA input that can make a world of difference in regards to saturation, character and perception.

But therein lies the necessity to spend some time with the concept of gain-staging within those nodes.
Once you have a firm grasp, there's an infinite amount of sweet spots.
MikeLeeBirds
Oh boy.. I am stupid. So there’s a separate VCF input control!
Dang.. in my enthusiasm I totally overlooked that or mistook it for a CV control (which is, of course, right next to it).

So I turned it up and all is good.

Mike, thanks so much for your prompt and detailed reaction! It did make me look at Raven with fresh eyes (filter gainstaiging..) and all of a sudden I saw the knob.

Sorry for your troubles!!

Last night when I wrote my post I had a whole day of work behind me and I guess my brain just didn’t function properly.
HBCoffin
Any news on the next batch? seriously, i just don't get it
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 [all]
Page 8 of 8