Birdkids ”Raven” ?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:43 pm

The Twins in action:
[video][/video]

And some CC to CV Shenanigans:
[video][/video]

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:12 pm

birdkid wrote:For those not on social media,
That'd be me. :mrgreen:
birdkid wrote:we've uploaded and published the nearly complete Technical Definitions of RAVEN:

Technical Definitions PDF

THD and various other measurements are still to be published...
Beautiful, Mike. Thank you!

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:15 am

synonymist wrote: Beautiful, Mike. Thank you!
My pleasure, there's more info coming in soon on measurements :cgs:

R&UB chasing the rainbow:
[video][/video]

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:45 pm

Missed your chance at pre-ordering RAVEN?
Been pondering switching from TheBateleur line?
We've got something just for you!

An exclusive, time-limited Value Trade In offer!
3 easy steps to your RAVEN.

Find out all about it here: https://birdkids.org/raven-tradein/

• Offer runs from 07.08.2019 - 15.08.2019.
One Trade-In per person.
Either MKI/MKII of the VCO is eligible.
Either 6HP / 8HP Expander is eligible.
• The base value of your unit(s) does not depend on its physical state!

HBCoffin
Common Wiggler

Post by HBCoffin » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:25 am

Any updates on the next batch?

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:35 am

HBCoffin wrote:Any updates on the next batch?
Dear HBCoffin, sorry for the late reply, we are in the process of moving to a new space with the core design/visualisation team - the 2nd batch is nearing the end of production and soon we'll be entering calibration, most likely the first units will be shipped by the end of the month. Of course all pre-orders and backers will be notified in time and shipping address confirmed before dispatch and tracking as usual. I'll be back to normal customer support operations latest next week, if there are any emails I haven't replied to yet, it's just a matter of days and I apologize for any delay in communication :oops:

HBCoffin
Common Wiggler

Post by HBCoffin » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:34 am

birdkid wrote:
HBCoffin wrote:Any updates on the next batch?
Dear HBCoffin, sorry for the late reply, we are in the process of moving to a new space with the core design/visualisation team - the 2nd batch is nearing the end of production and soon we'll be entering calibration, most likely the first units will be shipped by the end of the month. Of course all pre-orders and backers will be notified in time and shipping address confirmed before dispatch and tracking as usual. I'll be back to normal customer support operations latest next week, if there are any emails I haven't replied to yet, it's just a matter of days and I apologize for any delay in communication :oops:
Thanks for the update! :tu:

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:04 am

What a beauty!
I just did some basic patching and love the sound.

Question: the raw oscillators sound thick, lush and loud. Beautiful!
After going through the filter the volume drops by about half (with cutoff at 100%/fully open, no resonance and no modulation). I say about half because that’s what it feels like. I don’t have the equipment to measure the actual difference.
Going straight into the VCA (bypassing the filter) the volume does not drop.
Is that normal?

birdkid, should I record an audio example and send it to you?

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:23 am

MikeLeeBirds wrote:Image

What a beauty!
I just did some basic patching and love the sound.

Question: the raw oscillators sound thick, lush and loud. Beautiful!
After going through the filter the volume drops by about half (with cutoff at 100%/fully open, no resonance and no modulation). I say about half because that’s what it feels like. I don’t have the equipment to measure the actual difference.
Going straight into the VCA (bypassing the filter) the volume does not drop.
Is that normal?

birdkid, should I record an audio example and send it to you?
Dear MikeLeeBirds, first of all, thank you so much for taking the time to test RAVEN :tu:
To give you a proper reply, I'm missing a few data points to evaluate the patch. Would you be able to post a snapshot, or maybe sketch it out.
There is a patch-sheet available on our website here.

Generally speaking, we could start by looking at the signal flow diagram.

There's a rather large number of scenarios how a waveform could end of in the VCF section.
i.e.
  • did it go through the CROSSFADEER section first?
    If so, are multiple waveforms being summed in the CROSSFADER?
    If so, what are their amounts? CF position?
    Did the CROSSFADER section go directly into the VCF, if so, what's the vcf in value?
    If so, does the VCF go in to the VCA?
    If so, which VCA mode is on?
To have a grasp on the technical side of things, we might wanna consult the specs.

I would say, from personal experience and having worked with other users in patch scenarios, the biggest freedom lies in the three "nodes" CF input, VCF input, VCA input that can make a world of difference in regards to saturation, character and perception.

But therein lies the necessity to spend some time with the concept of gain-staging within those nodes.
Once you have a firm grasp, there's an infinite amount of sweet spots.

MikeLeeBirds
Common Wiggler

Post by MikeLeeBirds » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:52 am

Oh boy.. I am stupid. So there’s a separate VCF input control!
Dang.. in my enthusiasm I totally overlooked that or mistook it for a CV control (which is, of course, right next to it).

So I turned it up and all is good.

Mike, thanks so much for your prompt and detailed reaction! It did make me look at Raven with fresh eyes (filter gainstaiging..) and all of a sudden I saw the knob.

Sorry for your troubles!!

Last night when I wrote my post I had a whole day of work behind me and I guess my brain just didn’t function properly.

HBCoffin
Common Wiggler

Post by HBCoffin » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:22 pm

Any news on the next batch? :despair:

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:53 pm

HBCoffin wrote:Any news on the next batch? :despair:
Well nearly all of them are shipped by now, I think you've received yours by now as well - hope everyone are enjoying theirs so far, we've been working round the clock to make sure all batches arrive before the holidays.

timjim
Learning to Wiggle

Post by timjim » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:59 pm

I've got my 2nd batch Raven in Australia and I just want to thank Birdkids for such a lovely, lovely sounding synth voice. Thank you. It's brilliant. :tu:

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:09 am

timjim wrote:I've got my 2nd batch Raven in Australia and I just want to thank Birdkids for such a lovely, lovely sounding synth voice. Thank you. It's brilliant. :tu:

:boat: :loves: thank you sooo much, happy to hear the bird arrived well in its new Australian home!!

Ruiner
Common Wiggler

Post by Ruiner » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:47 am

Got my Raven in! Also got the midi/power and 2 EG modules. Can't wait to try this out but it arrived on the same day my family arrived for the holidays so I won't even get a chance to touch it for at least 7 days :waah:

foliephonics
Common Wiggler

Post by foliephonics » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:37 pm

Ruiner wrote:Got my Raven in! Also got the midi/power and 2 EG modules.
Nice case ! Sneak a little time in when everyone's asleep, or send send off for a (long) walk ! :hihi:
It looks like a Frap Tools case system, where did you get the flat ribbon cable to distribute the power from the power/midi module ?

Ruiner
Common Wiggler

Post by Ruiner » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:44 pm

foliephonics wrote:
Nice case ! Sneak a little time in when everyone's asleep, or send send off for a (long) walk ! :hihi:
It looks like a Frap Tools case system, where did you get the flat ribbon cable to distribute the power from the power/midi module ?
The problem is my dad is sleeping in my studio :lol: long walks might work though....

Haven't set up the power / midi module yet... just using the Silta power from Frap Tools that was already in this Frap Tools case.

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:21 am

Ruiner wrote:
foliephonics wrote:
The problem is my dad is sleeping in my studio :lol: long walks might work though....

Haven't set up the power / midi module yet... just using the Silta power from Frap Tools that was already in this Frap Tools case.
Lovely setup :party:

The bundled Power / MIDI came with the original flat-ribbon cable for the 42hp TheBateleur System, meaning it will have no problems converting external USB (1.5A min. recommended) to clean +/-12V powering up the RAVEN, both Envelope Generators and plenty of headroom for some analog utilities or distributing 5V forward.

The topic of Power / MIDI specs is covered here: http://birdkids.org/assets/tb42hp_techSpecs/TBPM_techSpecs_2019.pdf

Envelope Generator here: http://birdkids.org/assets/tb42hp_techSpecs/TBEG_techSpecs_2019.pdf

And some patches utilizing the Envelope Generator modes as well as the Power / MIDI can be found here: http://birdkids.org/tb42hp

Of course all your RAVEN specs are covered as well, here: http://birdkids.org/ :tu:

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:03 am

birdkid wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:53 pm
...nearly all of them are shipped by now, I think you've received yours by now as well - hope everyone are enjoying theirs so far, we've been working round the clock to make sure all batches arrive before the holidays.
Yesterday I retrieved my RAVEN from the post office. This morning I installed it: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1096635

Now it is late. I missed dinner, and it's a school night. But I am about to record my first music with RAVEN. It was worth the wait and twice the price.

RAVEN is fierce. Nasty. Go past its precision and delicacy to find harmonics tearing at each other; find there a deep well of pure sound; frank and honest, not polite. The filter alone is a work of art. As expected, RAVEN seems to surpass its predecessor technically in every way. But it does not invalidate it: the voice of TheBateleur is still unique and good.

At first blush, I really like this module. ;)

Thank you very much, birdkids. Fröhliche Weihnachten!
Last edited by synonymist on Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by synonymist » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:24 pm

synonymist wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:03 am
...I am about to record my first music with RAVEN.
Today I mastered the new music. In these tracks, my newly arrived RAVEN is the only sound source. Rather detailed session notes are at each track's webpage:

RAVEN first.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by birdkid » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:19 pm

synonymist wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:03 am
birdkid wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:53 pm
...nearly all of them are shipped by now, I think you've received yours by now as well - hope everyone are enjoying theirs so far, we've been working round the clock to make sure all batches arrive before the holidays.
Yesterday I retrieved my RAVEN from the post office. This morning I installed it: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1065870

Now it is late. I missed dinner, and it's a school night. But I am about to record my first music with RAVEN. It was worth the wait and twice the price.

RAVEN is fierce. Nasty. Go past its precision and delicacy to find harmonics tearing at each other; find there a deep well of pure sound; frank and honest, not polite. The filter alone is a work of art. As expected, RAVEN seems to surpass its predecessor technically in every way. But it does not invalidate it: the voice of TheBateleur is still unique and good.

At first blush, I really like this module. ;)

Thank you very much, birdkids. Fröhliche Weihnachten!
Oh such lovely news and feedback!!! :party:
Very happy to hear the bird arrived safely stateside and the freaky sonics as usual :tu:

pekbro
Common Wiggler

Re: Birdkids ”Raven” ?

Post by pekbro » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:44 pm

Will there be another run of these?

birdkid
Common Wiggler

Post by birdkid » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:13 pm

pekbro wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:44 pm
HIGHLY unlikely - but never say never :mrgreen:

pekbro
Common Wiggler

Post by pekbro » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:32 pm

birdkid wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:13 pm
pekbro wrote:
Ok thanks, I guess if there won’t be, you’ll just have to come up with something better for your next project... :)

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:56 pm

birdkid wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:19 pm
Oh such lovely news and feedback!!! :party:
Very happy to hear the bird arrived safely stateside and the freaky sonics as usual :tu:
Mike, I am glad to oblige. Again, I thank you and company for this fine and beautiful instrument.

Someday I will make some simply consonant and melodic music with my birdkids modules. 8-)
pekbro wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:32 pm
birdkid wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:13 pm
pekbro wrote:
Ok thanks, I guess if there won’t be, you’ll just have to come up with something better for your next project... :)
Agreed. Whatever follows should be better still. In my brief experience with birdkids, that is the way they do things.

But Mike, the world needs more RAVENs. Now that you know how to make them, please do make more. At least enough to meet current demand. I understand that there is always more to the story than. However, if there is a good way for you to continue RAVEN production, I hope you will find it.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”