MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Birdkids ”Raven” ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Birdkids ”Raven” ?
Prunesquallor
Looks great, but I would consider extending the kickstart deadline until next Feb or so. Wallets are generally empty either side of Christmas.
beem
birdkid wrote:

We're already at rev 3.5 internally at this point...

Thanks for the answer! Getting really tempted. Got a "keyboard case" where it really would be sweet to have something semi modular like this, to fit more and get started easily.
birdkid
Prunesquallor wrote:
Looks great, but I would consider extending the kickstart deadline until next Feb or so. Wallets are generally empty either side of Christmas.

The running time of a campaign cannot be changed, neither stretch over more than 60 days. We figured if 3 weeks of full-on won't do, nothing will.
Besides, today's Black Friday Special (€399,- from 6PM CET, 24hr exclusive) should leave nothing to be desired w00t
cityz3n
First of all I think the raven sounds fantastic!

Just a little question.
What is the stand alone case you are using?

I really like the design of the prototype.
Was it always the plan to make it eurorack size?
And would you be selling the prototypes?

I hope you reach the goal, I’ll make sure I’ll find the money to support the project.
birdkid
cityz3n wrote:
First of all I think the raven sounds fantastic!

Just a little question.
What is the stand alone case you are using?

I really like the design of the prototype.
Was it always the plan to make it eurorack size?
And would you be selling the prototypes?

I hope you reach the goal, I’ll make sure I’ll find the money to support the project.

Thank you so much SlayerBadger!

RAVEN was always planned as a eurorack module, the working title is in fact "Son of TheBateleur".

The case we're using for display is a beautiful, Frap Tools PLUS.
We've been using that case already in TheBateleur 42hp System and we're huge fans of Frap Tools, Simone is one of the best guys outthere in general.

We do not sell prototypes, sorry.
Thank you so much! thumbs up
brickman
Would it make more sense to label 'fine' as 'Osc 2 pitch' or 'offset'?

It doesnt affect osc 1 pitch , but I'd make the assumption looking at the panel that fine is related to osc 1 coarse...
birdkid
brickman wrote:

It doesnt affect osc 1 pitch , but I'd make the assumption looking at the panel that fine is related to osc 1 coarse...

I understand where the assumption might come from, seeing as many synthesizers have both coarse and fine tune settings per Oscillator, however there are markings right next to the pitch potentiometers which echo to the 3.5mm Jack rows above.

And it is related to VCO I coarse setting provided there is no separate input in the VCO II 1v/oct input jack.
j_dowe
birdkid wrote:

today's Black Friday Special (€399,- from 6PM CET, 24hr exclusive) should leave nothing to be desired w00t

applause screaming goo yo SlayerBadger!
chaosick
birdkid wrote:
chaosick wrote:
Howdy, I talked with you quite a bit at SB at your booth about jazz and other thing when you were demoing that crazy euro programmable controller (what happened with that?)
This sounds great, but I don't really understand..where's uh, envelopes/function generator??

I remember having that jazz conversation with you smile

You're referring to CROW Intelligence, we've received amazing feedback about that from the Media Artist and Hacker community, but nearly 0-understanding from Modular people, hence we've decided to make it an open-source environment and supply some extremely simple, minimal hardware solutions in the form of a tiny I/O box as we're fully aware that each performer in a cross-media scenario would need a completely different setup.
So it would be best if people use their dedicated MIDI or DIY controllers and we provide the connectivity to the outside world.

As to the RAVEN, it's a 100% analog, synthesizer voice.
We've done envelopes, and they ARE offered as bundles as well on the Campaign site, and each of the oscillators or VCF can be used as an LFO or looping faux-envelope, there's also External signal input and Noise generator. We focus on what we do best, and make it the best sounding, best quality, fully analog, synthesizer voice our faculties allow.

ha ha..I'm glad I'm that memorable, even if it only speaks as to the rarity to which jazz and modular synths come up and coexist (even though I still have a memory of a video of Joe Zawinul in his studio with his Prophet 10 and a bunch of other stuff saying, "A sequencer can be funky if you know how to use it.")
I admit I still find the idea of a envelope-less "synth voice" kind of a weird decision..and I don't need more envelopes, but then again, the same could be said of any other building block give the current size of my system..so I just backed it at the crazy 55% off new price.

So everyone else go back it now so it will actually happen smile
I mean seriously, 399€ for 2 osc and filter and VCA that all sound these good is ridiculous. It's a no brainer.
cityz3n
backed!

Still 110 minutes for the Black Friday deal people...
Dcramer
That’s a great price for this amount of hardware, through your fav Env/Modulators on it and shwiiiiing! This is fun!
Addam
Backed it yesterday. Easily the biggest impulse purchase I've made by orders of magnitude. twisted

Love the design. Patch points on top is fine for me.. cords gonna get in the way no matter what. Maybe the text near the knobs is a little small, though? I understand wanting uniformity in font size... maybe I just need a bigger laptop monitor !
birdkid
Addam wrote:
Backed it yesterday. Easily the biggest impulse purchase I've made by orders of magnitude. twisted

Love the design. Patch points on top is fine for me.. cords gonna get in the way no matter what. Maybe the text near the knobs is a little small, though? I understand wanting uniformity in font size... maybe I just need a bigger laptop monitor !

w00t You won't be disappointed.

As to the typeface point, legibility is of immense concern to me when designing a UI. I chose Avenir for RAVEN from years of personal experience with that typeface through deployment in various scenarios, print/web etc.. (used to work for Wunderman/Y&R back in the early 2000s).

Here's a quote from one of my favourite all-time designers:

"Looking back on more than 40 years of concern with sans serif typefaces, I felt an obligation to design a linear style of sans serif, in the tradition of Erbar, Futura, and to a lesser extent Gill Sans. These have purely constructed characters from which the element of a handwriting movement has been removed. Obviously this could not be an outstanding new creation, but I have tried to make use of the experience and stylistic developments of the 20th century in order to work out an independent alphabet meeting modern typographical needs. Even though Avenir™ can be classified as a constructivist typeface, it does not have a purely geometric and linear drawing. The vertical stroke lengths have been reduced in order to make text setting more legible, on the well-established grounds that the human eye takes in horizontals more easily than verticals and tends to grasp the meaning of a line in a horizontal sweep.... Avenir is intended to be nothing more nor less than a clear and clean representation of modern typographical trends, giving the designer a typeface which is strictly modern and at the same time humane, ie suitable refined and elegant for use in texts of any length."
-- Adrian Frutiger (for more see http://www.linotype.com/13417/interviewwithafrutiger-doc.html).

You'll find the smaller point super sharp on the contrasting panels (black on aluminium or white on black anodized) and not so far away in style from early BRAUN designs (nod to Dieter Rams as usual).
Addam
birdkid
Thanks for the thoughtful response to my annoying comment. haha. I trust you on the design wink

This has me thinking about making a little self contained system (as mentioned before) based around the Raven that looks as nice as it is fun as opposed to my current setup which is a total mess aesthetically.
chaosick
Addam wrote:
birdkid
Thanks for the thoughtful response to my annoying comment. haha. I trust you on the design wink

This has me thinking about making a little self contained system (as mentioned before) based around the Raven that looks as nice as it is fun as opposed to my current setup which is a total mess aesthetically.

I plan on putting it into my Waldorf KB37 and then taking out some of the AJH currently in it to put in the case in front of it.
brickman
birdkid wrote:
brickman wrote:

I understand where the assumption might come from, seeing as many synthesizers have both coarse and fine tune settings per Oscillator, however there are markings right next to the pitch potentiometers which echo to the 3.5mm Jack rows above.

And it is related to VCO I coarse setting provided there is no separate input in the VCO II 1v/oct input jack.

Yeah I get where you're coming from. Personally I'd rather see it labeled in line with most other synths, but whatever, it sounds too good for me to really care about the labeling.
Fayette
I hope this gets funded.. There havent been much action since black friday neutral huh?
birdkid
Fayette wrote:
I hope this gets funded.. There havent been much action since black friday neutral huh?

Dear Fayette,

I think many books have been written about the mechanics of human psychology when it comes to rewards and relative values.
In so many words, everybody loves a BARGAIN.
It clouds logic and reason, in fact we saw at least 5, early backers, downgrade immediately when presented with such chance.
I mean even people who'd specifically opt for a March batch, would downgrade to a November 2019 dispatch and in turn lower the chance of it being funded at all.
But I get it, holiday season, long-term-investments etc..
Hell we should be grateful for every good thought, save buck that people are willing to pledge, the faith is strong here we're not worthy
We would be nowhere without you guys and girls, and if this project makes it, we'll make sure to make you all very very happy thumbs up
etherline
Hmm. Perhaps I should not have 'downgraded' to the Black Friday offer, but equally my first instinct was actually to add a second pledge. Kickstarter does not (as far as I was able to determine) allow more than one pledge at a time.

You also only have pledges for one unit or three units. Perhaps if your Black Friday offer had included a two unit offer you might have been pleasantly surprised by the human psychology of the saving to be had from buying two of something at a greater discount than one. Supermarkets use that very effectively. (It would actually have been a genuine 'BOGOF' offer)

Still, let's all hope for a late surge of interest. The main thing is that it looks like a great product and I am sure we all want it to succeed.
birdkid
etherline wrote:
Hmm. Perhaps I should not have 'downgraded' to the Black Friday offer, but equally my first instinct was actually to add a second pledge. Kickstarter does not (as far as I was able to determine) allow more than one pledge at a time.

You also only have pledges for one unit or three units. Perhaps if your Black Friday offer had included a two unit offer you might have been pleasantly surprised by the human psychology of the saving to be had from buying two of something at a greater discount than one. Supermarkets use that very effectively. (It would actually have been a genuine 'BOGOF' offer)

Still, let's all hope for a late surge of interest. The main thing is that it looks like a great product and I am sure we all want it to succeed.

Haha, yeah Ken it's absolutely true, I think there's about a million things I still have to learn in terms of marketing. (edit. implemented some new options).
Like I said, fully understand that people have very good reasons to change their mind, and I might have done the same with all the crazy deals around this time of the year, so no judgement on my side, just full respect and gratitude that people are willing to long-term invest in something they really believe in, and our part is to live to those expectations and surpass them.
Challenge accepted Rockin' Banana!
birdkid
We've deployed 3, early prototypes (rev 3.2) units for first feedback, first footage by the awesome DivKid already online:

Some pledge options added to the Campaign site, the Early Backer x2, and the Supersaver Group Pack (399 p. Unit).

>> RAVEN, a 100% analog, synthesizer voice.
w00t
brickman
Good to see the Raven in the hands of DivKid thumbs up

Mike, is the black panel the prototype panel ? Or will you be offering the Raven in silver and black ?
birdkid
brickman wrote:
Good to see the Raven in the hands of DivKid thumbs up

Mike, is the black panel the prototype panel ? Or will you be offering the Raven in silver and black ?

Indeed! smile
Silver/blue, black/lilac
The panel is a prototype with digital print overlays, nothing like the actual silkscreen our modules usually have. You can also see the overlays offsetting and peeling off in areas, that's just UV print. The typeface precision is way off as well and bloated.
For a correct representation of the panel, this is what it looks like on the actual product:

sharp print, no offset, flawless coating you can't scratch off.

The black anodized panel is actually off-black, quite pleasant, same we're using on TheBataleur VCO.

Keep in mind, it's an early engineering prototype in the vid, even the XL version we had at Dutch Modular Fest is more up-to-date with the final product. Some ranges of the potentiometer we had to restrict (vcf/vco) for linearity of response, the fine-tune is +/- 400Hz as opposed to an octave and the opto vca is not quite there yet.
But we had to supply some units before the Campaign, as it would not be fair to not give people a feel for the development of what we're up to and how it feels to work with it.
brickman
That silver panel looks lovely. The font looks tiny though. Any chance you'd make it larger for those of us with more aged eyes...?
vaxoid
it'd be cool if they put Braille signatures on the panel
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 3 of 8