Birdkids ”Raven” ?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
Prunesquallor
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:08 am
Location: Valencia, Spain

Post by Prunesquallor » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:26 am

Looks great, but I would consider extending the kickstart deadline until next Feb or so. Wallets are generally empty either side of Christmas.
If at first you don't succeed read the instruction manual.

User avatar
beem
Common Wiggler
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:56 am
Location: Stockholm
Contact:

Post by beem » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:33 am

birdkid wrote: We're already at rev 3.5 internally at this point...
Thanks for the answer! Getting really tempted. Got a "keyboard case" where it really would be sweet to have something semi modular like this, to fit more and get started easily.

birdkid
Common Wiggler
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:33 am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Post by birdkid » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:42 am

Prunesquallor wrote:Looks great, but I would consider extending the kickstart deadline until next Feb or so. Wallets are generally empty either side of Christmas.
The running time of a campaign cannot be changed, neither stretch over more than 60 days. We figured if 3 weeks of full-on won't do, nothing will.
Besides, today's Black Friday Special (€399,- from 6PM CET, 24hr exclusive) should leave nothing to be desired :party:

User avatar
cityz3n
Common Wiggler
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:43 am
Location: Belgium

Raven

Post by cityz3n » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:52 am

First of all I think the raven sounds fantastic!

Just a little question.
What is the stand alone case you are using?

I really like the design of the prototype.
Was it always the plan to make it eurorack size?
And would you be selling the prototypes?

I hope you reach the goal, I’ll make sure I’ll find the money to support the project.
"C’est l’histoire d’un homme qui tombe d’un immeuble de cinquante étages. Le mec, au fur et à mesure de sa chute il se répète sans cesse pour se rassurer : jusqu’ici tout va bien, jusqu’ici tout va bien, jusqu’ici tout va bien.
Mais l'important n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage."

birdkid
Common Wiggler
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:33 am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Re: Raven

Post by birdkid » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:19 am

cityz3n wrote:First of all I think the raven sounds fantastic!

Just a little question.
What is the stand alone case you are using?

I really like the design of the prototype.
Was it always the plan to make it eurorack size?
And would you be selling the prototypes?

I hope you reach the goal, I’ll make sure I’ll find the money to support the project.
Thank you so much :sb:

RAVEN was always planned as a eurorack module, the working title is in fact "Son of TheBateleur".

Image

The case we're using for display is a beautiful, Frap Tools PLUS.
We've been using that case already in TheBateleur 42hp System and we're huge fans of Frap Tools, Simone is one of the best guys outthere in general.

Image

We do not sell prototypes, sorry.
Thank you so much! :tu:

User avatar
brickman
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 607
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Dublin , Ireland
Contact:

Post by brickman » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:30 am

Would it make more sense to label 'fine' as 'Osc 2 pitch' or 'offset'?

It doesnt affect osc 1 pitch , but I'd make the assumption looking at the panel that fine is related to osc 1 coarse...

birdkid
Common Wiggler
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:33 am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Post by birdkid » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:43 am

brickman wrote:Would it make more sense to label 'fine' as 'Osc 2 pitch' or 'offset'?

It doesnt affect osc 1 pitch , but I'd make the assumption looking at the panel that fine is related to osc 1 coarse...
I understand where the assumption might come from, seeing as many synthesizers have both coarse and fine tune settings per Oscillator, however there are markings right next to the pitch potentiometers which echo to the 3.5mm Jack rows above.

Image

And it is related to VCO I coarse setting provided there is no separate input in the VCO II 1v/oct input jack.

User avatar
j_dowe
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:02 pm
Location: blono, il

Post by j_dowe » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:36 pm

birdkid wrote: today's Black Friday Special (€399,- from 6PM CET, 24hr exclusive) should leave nothing to be desired :party:
:yay: :goo: :sb:

User avatar
chaosick
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 782
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:44 pm
Location: Yamcouver
Contact:

Post by chaosick » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:24 pm

birdkid wrote:
chaosick wrote:Howdy, I talked with you quite a bit at SB at your booth about jazz and other thing when you were demoing that crazy euro programmable controller (what happened with that?)
This sounds great, but I don't really understand..where's uh, envelopes/function generator??
I remember having that jazz conversation with you :)

You're referring to CROW Intelligence, we've received amazing feedback about that from the Media Artist and Hacker community, but nearly 0-understanding from Modular people, hence we've decided to make it an open-source environment and supply some extremely simple, minimal hardware solutions in the form of a tiny I/O box as we're fully aware that each performer in a cross-media scenario would need a completely different setup.
So it would be best if people use their dedicated MIDI or DIY controllers and we provide the connectivity to the outside world.

As to the RAVEN, it's a 100% analog, synthesizer voice.
We've done envelopes, and they ARE offered as bundles as well on the Campaign site, and each of the oscillators or VCF can be used as an LFO or looping faux-envelope, there's also External signal input and Noise generator. We focus on what we do best, and make it the best sounding, best quality, fully analog, synthesizer voice our faculties allow.
ha ha..I'm glad I'm that memorable, even if it only speaks as to the rarity to which jazz and modular synths come up and coexist (even though I still have a memory of a video of Joe Zawinul in his studio with his Prophet 10 and a bunch of other stuff saying, "A sequencer can be funky if you know how to use it.")
I admit I still find the idea of a envelope-less "synth voice" kind of a weird decision..and I don't need more envelopes, but then again, the same could be said of any other building block give the current size of my system..so I just backed it at the crazy 55% off new price.

So everyone else go back it now so it will actually happen :)
I mean seriously, 399€ for 2 osc and filter and VCA that all sound these good is ridiculous. It's a no brainer.

User avatar
cityz3n
Common Wiggler
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:43 am
Location: Belgium

Raven

Post by cityz3n » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:06 am

backed!

Still 110 minutes for the Black Friday deal people...
"C’est l’histoire d’un homme qui tombe d’un immeuble de cinquante étages. Le mec, au fur et à mesure de sa chute il se répète sans cesse pour se rassurer : jusqu’ici tout va bien, jusqu’ici tout va bien, jusqu’ici tout va bien.
Mais l'important n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage."

User avatar
Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5419
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:11 pm
Location: Canada

Post by Dcramer » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:41 pm

That’s a great price for this amount of hardware, through your fav Env/Modulators on it and shwiiiiing! :cloud:

User avatar
Addam
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:40 pm
Location: Hudson Valley

Post by Addam » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:14 pm

Backed it yesterday. Easily the biggest impulse purchase I've made by orders of magnitude. :twisted:

Love the design. Patch points on top is fine for me.. cords gonna get in the way no matter what. Maybe the text near the knobs is a little small, though? I understand wanting uniformity in font size... maybe I just need a bigger laptop monitor !

birdkid
Common Wiggler
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:33 am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Post by birdkid » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:13 am

Addam wrote:Backed it yesterday. Easily the biggest impulse purchase I've made by orders of magnitude. :twisted:

Love the design. Patch points on top is fine for me.. cords gonna get in the way no matter what. Maybe the text near the knobs is a little small, though? I understand wanting uniformity in font size... maybe I just need a bigger laptop monitor !
:party: You won't be disappointed.

As to the typeface point, legibility is of immense concern to me when designing a UI. I chose Avenir for RAVEN from years of personal experience with that typeface through deployment in various scenarios, print/web etc.. (used to work for Wunderman/Y&R back in the early 2000s).

Here's a quote from one of my favourite all-time designers:

"Looking back on more than 40 years of concern with sans serif typefaces, I felt an obligation to design a linear style of sans serif, in the tradition of Erbar, Futura, and to a lesser extent Gill Sans. These have purely constructed characters from which the element of a handwriting movement has been removed. Obviously this could not be an outstanding new creation, but I have tried to make use of the experience and stylistic developments of the 20th century in order to work out an independent alphabet meeting modern typographical needs. Even though Avenir™ can be classified as a constructivist typeface, it does not have a purely geometric and linear drawing. The vertical stroke lengths have been reduced in order to make text setting more legible, on the well-established grounds that the human eye takes in horizontals more easily than verticals and tends to grasp the meaning of a line in a horizontal sweep.... Avenir is intended to be nothing more nor less than a clear and clean representation of modern typographical trends, giving the designer a typeface which is strictly modern and at the same time humane, ie suitable refined and elegant for use in texts of any length."
-- Adrian Frutiger (for more see http://www.linotype.com/13417/interview ... r-doc.html).

You'll find the smaller point super sharp on the contrasting panels (black on aluminium or white on black anodized) and not so far away in style from early BRAUN designs (nod to Dieter Rams as usual).

User avatar
Addam
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:40 pm
Location: Hudson Valley

Post by Addam » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:33 pm

birdkid
Thanks for the thoughtful response to my annoying comment. haha. I trust you on the design ;)

This has me thinking about making a little self contained system (as mentioned before) based around the Raven that looks as nice as it is fun as opposed to my current setup which is a total mess aesthetically.

User avatar
chaosick
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 782
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:44 pm
Location: Yamcouver
Contact:

Post by chaosick » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:28 pm

Addam wrote:birdkid
Thanks for the thoughtful response to my annoying comment. haha. I trust you on the design ;)

This has me thinking about making a little self contained system (as mentioned before) based around the Raven that looks as nice as it is fun as opposed to my current setup which is a total mess aesthetically.
I plan on putting it into my Waldorf KB37 and then taking out some of the AJH currently in it to put in the case in front of it.

User avatar
brickman
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 607
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Dublin , Ireland
Contact:

Post by brickman » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:02 pm

birdkid wrote:
brickman wrote:Would it make more sense to label 'fine' as 'Osc 2 pitch' or 'offset'?

It doesnt affect osc 1 pitch , but I'd make the assumption looking at the panel that fine is related to osc 1 coarse...
I understand where the assumption might come from, seeing as many synthesizers have both coarse and fine tune settings per Oscillator, however there are markings right next to the pitch potentiometers which echo to the 3.5mm Jack rows above.

Image

And it is related to VCO I coarse setting provided there is no separate input in the VCO II 1v/oct input jack.
Yeah I get where you're coming from. Personally I'd rather see it labeled in line with most other synths, but whatever, it sounds too good for me to really care about the labeling.

Fayette
Common Wiggler
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 11:25 am

Post by Fayette » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:44 am

I hope this gets funded.. There havent been much action since black friday :| :huh:

birdkid
Common Wiggler
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:33 am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Post by birdkid » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:43 am

Fayette wrote:I hope this gets funded.. There havent been much action since black friday :| :huh:
Dear Fayette,

I think many books have been written about the mechanics of human psychology when it comes to rewards and relative values.
In so many words, everybody loves a BARGAIN.
It clouds logic and reason, in fact we saw at least 5, early backers, downgrade immediately when presented with such chance.
I mean even people who'd specifically opt for a March batch, would downgrade to a November 2019 dispatch and in turn lower the chance of it being funded at all.
But I get it, holiday season, long-term-investments etc..
Hell we should be grateful for every good thought, save buck that people are willing to pledge, the faith is strong here :hail:
We would be nowhere without you guys and girls, and if this project makes it, we'll make sure to make you all very very happy :tu:

etherline
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 435
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:10 am
Location: UK

Post by etherline » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:10 pm

Hmm. Perhaps I should not have 'downgraded' to the Black Friday offer, but equally my first instinct was actually to add a second pledge. Kickstarter does not (as far as I was able to determine) allow more than one pledge at a time.

You also only have pledges for one unit or three units. Perhaps if your Black Friday offer had included a two unit offer you might have been pleasantly surprised by the human psychology of the saving to be had from buying two of something at a greater discount than one. Supermarkets use that very effectively. (It would actually have been a genuine 'BOGOF' offer)

Still, let's all hope for a late surge of interest. The main thing is that it looks like a great product and I am sure we all want it to succeed.

birdkid
Common Wiggler
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:33 am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Post by birdkid » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:23 pm

etherline wrote:Hmm. Perhaps I should not have 'downgraded' to the Black Friday offer, but equally my first instinct was actually to add a second pledge. Kickstarter does not (as far as I was able to determine) allow more than one pledge at a time.

You also only have pledges for one unit or three units. Perhaps if your Black Friday offer had included a two unit offer you might have been pleasantly surprised by the human psychology of the saving to be had from buying two of something at a greater discount than one. Supermarkets use that very effectively. (It would actually have been a genuine 'BOGOF' offer)

Still, let's all hope for a late surge of interest. The main thing is that it looks like a great product and I am sure we all want it to succeed.
Haha, yeah Ken it's absolutely true, I think there's about a million things I still have to learn in terms of marketing. (edit. implemented some new options).
Like I said, fully understand that people have very good reasons to change their mind, and I might have done the same with all the crazy deals around this time of the year, so no judgement on my side, just full respect and gratitude that people are willing to long-term invest in something they really believe in, and our part is to live to those expectations and surpass them.
Challenge accepted :bananaguitar:
Last edited by birdkid on Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

birdkid
Common Wiggler
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:33 am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Post by birdkid » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:04 am

We've deployed 3, early prototypes (rev 3.2) units for first feedback, first footage by the awesome DivKid already online:

[video][/video]

Some pledge options added to the Campaign site, the Early Backer x2, and the Supersaver Group Pack (399 p. Unit).

>> RAVEN, a 100% analog, synthesizer voice.
:party:

User avatar
brickman
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 607
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Dublin , Ireland
Contact:

Post by brickman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:14 am

Good to see the Raven in the hands of DivKid :tu:

Mike, is the black panel the prototype panel ? Or will you be offering the Raven in silver and black ?

birdkid
Common Wiggler
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:33 am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Post by birdkid » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:53 am

brickman wrote:Good to see the Raven in the hands of DivKid :tu:

Mike, is the black panel the prototype panel ? Or will you be offering the Raven in silver and black ?
Indeed! :)
Silver/blue, black/lilac
The panel is a prototype with digital print overlays, nothing like the actual silkscreen our modules usually have. You can also see the overlays offsetting and peeling off in areas, that's just UV print. The typeface precision is way off as well and bloated.
For a correct representation of the panel, this is what it looks like on the actual product:

Image

sharp print, no offset, flawless coating you can't scratch off.

The black anodized panel is actually off-black, quite pleasant, same we're using on TheBataleur VCO.

Keep in mind, it's an early engineering prototype in the vid, even the XL version we had at Dutch Modular Fest is more up-to-date with the final product. Some ranges of the potentiometer we had to restrict (vcf/vco) for linearity of response, the fine-tune is +/- 400Hz as opposed to an octave and the opto vca is not quite there yet.
But we had to supply some units before the Campaign, as it would not be fair to not give people a feel for the development of what we're up to and how it feels to work with it.

User avatar
brickman
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 607
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Dublin , Ireland
Contact:

Post by brickman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:00 pm

That silver panel looks lovely. The font looks tiny though. Any chance you'd make it larger for those of us with more aged eyes...?

vaxoid
Common Wiggler
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:24 pm
Location: Ukraine
Contact:

Post by vaxoid » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:48 pm

it'd be cool if they put Braille signatures on the panel

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”