MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Birdkids ”Raven” ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Birdkids ”Raven” ?
Fleuw
Hi! Just went to the Birdkids HomePage and they have updated the front page with a picture of a module called ”Raven”

Anyone with any sort of info or rumour about this module ?

I really love the Bateleur 42HP system and really looking forward whats coming next from Birdkids

Birdkids Homepage
insoul8
http://www.synthanatomy.com/2018/09/birdkids-announced-raven-analog-eu rorack-synth-voice-touch-west-coast.html
bgcriswell
This looks pretty cool, if it comes out. I love my Bateleur system and their other designs look awesome but I'm really disappointed that nothing they show at trade shows is ever actually released.
hawkfuzz
Is synthesis gendered? I never thought so...

Looks cool. They make good stuff.
huffnPuff
hawkfuzz wrote:
Is synthesis gendered? I never thought so...

Looks cool. They make good stuff.

Synthesis can make the world a better place.
peripatitis
They clearly need to eliminate the the patch-cabling paradigm which is already a very male view of the world..
j_dowe
this is available to order now on kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/birdkids/raven-a-100-analog-synth esizer-voice-made-in-austr

i have the bateleur... and i'm trying to figure out what's so special about the Raven?
j_dowe
j_dowe wrote:
what's so special about the Raven?

looking at it in more detail, i think what separates it from the Bateleur and also competing semi-modulars (Mother 32), is that it has two voices that can function independently.
brickman
Man this thing sounds delicious...

7C
slightly overpriced? meh
birdkid
7C wrote:
slightly overpriced? meh

How exactly is it overpriced, Felix?
birdkid
j_dowe wrote:
j_dowe wrote:
what's so special about the Raven?

looking at it in more detail, i think what separates it from the Bateleur and also competing semi-modulars (Mother 32), is that it has two voices that can function independently.

Dear j_dowe, we're not really trying to compete with mass marketed (within the segment that is) semi-modular solutions.

Influx of budget-line solutions that flooded the market recently brought with it not only potential good, such as young talent that can finally afford getting into modular, but also false expectations regarding pricing threshold.

As a small, don’t-call-it-boutique manufacturer, we cannot, nor try to compete in that price range. Our batches usually run between 50-100 pieces for such a production set.
Instead we opt for quality in both build and sound.
Track record and clientele clearly shows where we’re positioned over the years, however it’s not a reason to be snobby about it, hence we thought this campaign would be a fair proposal to lower the mutual cost.

Here is a short feature list of i/o's

Input

1V/Oct (Pitch tracking) relative and absolute options for both oscillators and VCF.
    FM (Linear Frequency Modulation) per VCO.
    PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) per VCO.
    SYNC per VCO.
    Crossfader between VCO’s.
    External Audio Signal Input.
    VCF Cutoff.
    VCF CV Input.
    VCF Resonance.
    VCA CV Input.

Output

Individual Waveform outs for each VCO (Saw, Triangle, Pulse / Square).
    Noise Output.
    Filter Output.
    Clean Out (Linear THAT2162 BlackmerⓇ VCA).
    Opto Out (Optocoupler VCA, West-Coast style response).

Controls

Waveform selection toggle per VCO.
    PW position for VCO II.
    PWM amount either individually for VCO I or normalized for both.
    FM amount either individually for VCO I or normalized for both.
    Coarse Tune for VCO I (relative or absolute via jumper).
    Fine Tune for VCO II (relative).
    Crossfader position VCOs I/II.
    External Audio Signal Input Amount.
    VCA CV Amount / Initial VCA Gain.
    VCF Cutoff position.
    VCF Mode switch*
    VCF CV Amount.
    VCF Resonance position / CV Amount.

*VCF Modes
subtractive = VCO (I+II Sum) > VCF > VCA
bypass = VCO (I+II Sum) > VCA, VCF standalone
bypass & tracking = VCO (I+II Sum) > VCA, VCF Standalone and tracking 1V/Oct.

Panel (no-nonsense front facing pic)

Signal-flow diagram

Wavefolding-like results using just the VCF in self-osc:
[s]https://soundcloud.com/birdkids/raven-filter-wet[/s]

It looks very simple on the surface, but once you dive in, the possibilities go far beyond the expected two VCO configuration.
7C
birdkid wrote:
7C wrote:
slightly overpriced? meh

hey mike, just my first thought and reaction - apart from "wow it looks and sounds nice", a few seconds later. i'm sure this is pure quality work, as always! on the other hand, compared to what i could buy for the money, it does seem a bit much. though as you mentioned it here in a reply: you dont want or intend to compete with the semimodular (or any other market), which is a clear statement. i very much do like it (yet it seems pricey to me) and i probably should have said this before critisising the pricepoint wink
birdkid
7C wrote:
birdkid wrote:
7C wrote:
slightly overpriced? meh

hey mike, just my first thought and reaction - apart from "wow it looks and sounds nice", a few seconds later. i'm sure this is pure quality work, as always! on the other hand, compared to what i could buy for the money, it does seem a bit much. though as you mentioned it here in a reply: you dont want or intend to compete with the semimodular (or any other market), which is a clear statement. i very much do like it (yet it seems pricey to me) and i probably should have said this before critisising the pricepoint wink

Hey Felix, and first of all I did not mean to sound sharp or anything, it's just that for the last 3-days since we've launched, the first feedback, before people even clicked on the campaign link and I imagine checked out the concept/sound behind it, would be smth. like "I can buy three Uli boxes and fly around the world for that price" reaction.
I'll be honest I'm ticked off by now, so forgive my directness.

We've spent over 10k+ hours designing and perfecting this one here, and naturally being thrown into the budget-line, clone-a-park and derivatives of Bob Moog's legendary design is not something that we find thrilling.
Seeing as our clients (and you were there in the very very beginning, which is something that we cannot be more grateful for) know what we're about and what we're able to deliver sound and build-wise usually plays in the 2k+ range.

Actually I'm gonna quote an anonymous responses source: (synthtopia) from one of the conversations yesterday:

Quote:
I don’t really understand why this is seen as expensive? I mean, in Euroland you would easily pay £150+ for each one of those VCO’s, and another £150 for the VCF and the VCA. That’s £600 – pretty much bang on the retail price – for just pretty much run-of-the-mill modules. If Birdkids have really made something as high quality as they suggest, then you could easily add another £50 or £100 to each one of those prices, which would make this pretty competitive.

And that's precisely how we, and our distribution network sees it, also the fact that we're offering it over 50% Off MSRP, bypassing distribution (who have full support for this) and retail just to be able to give people who deserve, but cannot afford the MSRP tag a chance at quality.

Our keypoints that have crystalized over the last 4 years are:
    Make it sound amazing, make it an instrument.
    Design it so that it can be used intuitively.
    Design it as accessible and inclusive as possible.
    Make it as affordable as possible without compromising the above points.
Fleuw
May i ask what the case and power solution i for a raven?
As in does it come in a case with power?
birdkid
Fleuw wrote:
May i ask what the case and power solution i for a raven?
As in does it come in a case with power?

Dear Andreas,

as with any module, we've found that most people prefer to have their own casing and it's very hard to predict in which context it will be used.
Additionally to that, seeing as we've added CV possibilities at (almost) every point in the design, we're expecting to see a lot of integration into racks as opposed to simply standalone.

Having said that, it works perfectly with our TheBateleur POWER/MIDI, and we're also bundling it with those as can be seen at the campaign page:
RAVEN, a 100% analog, synthesizer voice

[/img]
7C
absolutely understandable and you've proved your point.
and i really didnt intend to come of naggy, which i probably did d'oh!

it's funny, people who buy cheap stuff critisise the expensive gear and vice versa, in the end it doesnt matter, to each his own and the results count, nothing else (imo). to each his own, i'm sure there are enough people who dig your work! best of luck from my side (and i want to see it in action, combined with a coffee maybe? wink )
Fayette
I think this looks and sounds amazing, strongly considering getting on board, I really hope this gets funded.
j_dowe
birdkid wrote:
... also the fact that we're offering it over 50% Off MSRP, bypassing distribution (who have full support for this) and retail just to be able to give people who deserve, but cannot afford the MSRP tag a chance at quality.

Our keypoints that have crystalized over the last 4 years are:
    Make it sound amazing, make it an instrument.
    Design it so that it can be used intuitively.
    Design it as accessible and inclusive as possible.
    Make it as affordable as possible without compromising the above points.

much respect for the above. we're not worthy
AntonWoldhek
Instant pre-order for me. Terrific Sound AND such high end product is insane for this price. applause
peripatitis
It would interesting to know what the developers see as accessible and intuitive regarding the design. At a 40% early adopters price it is something I would consider but as with the bateleur having the filter included stopped me from buying one. (not a shot at the filter, I just have too many of them).
MaartenV
Getting to try out and demo the raven, it really sounds amazing, also as an owner of the bataleur, i must say, it sounds quiet different, even more expressive and musical, it has his own character (crunchy organic sounding) compared to other high end dual oscillators i played with, really worth it. It's peanut butter jelly time!
birdkid
peripatitis wrote:
It would interesting to know what the developers see as accessible and intuitive regarding the design. At a 40% early adopters price it is something I would consider but as with the bateleur having the filter included stopped me from buying one. (not a shot at the filter, I just have too many of them).

Dear Peripatitis,

Some design rules I live by:

Keep it simple.
    Ornament is crime.
    Legible signifiers.
    S P A C E to breath.
    Clear flow of functionality, read like a book - know by heart after repeated use.

With TheBateleur, it's not just about the VCO(s), it's about the combination, there is a deep concept behind the components playing together, definitely not a mix'n'match concept - as for the modifiers, that's always fair game thumbs up Of course same goes for RAVEN, different concept, different combinations of components.

The general idea is always, if the essentials sound good, there is in principle no need to *uck with too many outside parameters, if a sound needs 3 layers of additional stuff on top and 2 lfos to come alive, it's not good to begin with and never will be.
birdkid
MaartenV wrote:
Getting to try out and demo the raven, it really sounds amazing, also as an owner of the bataleur, i must say, it sounds quiet different, even more expressive and musical, it has his own character (crunchy organic sounding) compared to other high end dual oscillators i played with, really worth it. It's peanut butter jelly time!

Maarten made it sing..

[s]https://soundcloud.com/birdkids/sets/raven-in-utrecht-kytopia[/s]
 [s]https://soundcloud.com/birdkids/maarten-vos-x-raven[/s]
j_dowe
MaartenV wrote:

i would love to hear more on how it's different sounding from the bateleur? i like the bateleur, but trying to figure out if i'd like this even better. i probably can't afford to own both ($$ & hp), but i could potentially sell the bateleur+expansion to fund a raven.
MaartenV
j_dowe wrote:
MaartenV wrote:

i would love to hear more on how it's different sounding from the bateleur? i like the bateleur, but trying to figure out if i'd like this even better. i probably can't afford to own both ($$ & hp), but i could potentially sell the bateleur+expansion to fund a raven.

Crossfading or mixing two oscillators (thats already 1 more then bataleur wink) trough the filter is magic, it lifts the sound up makes it very musical and can be really thick but also very versitale for experimental sounds together with the fm possibilities. For me personally, the sound can be very direct (like the bataleur) but also quiet more airy/gritty/organic due to the dual functionality. The vactrol vca implemented sounds different from the bataleur ofcourse, this west coast implementation is really a cool feature as well.

It also has a external input which is really cool for processing other sources trough it (see mike's post above). The separate filter output is also very handy if you want to use 3 voices at the same time.
As a cellist i am always looking at modules that blend well together with the organic sound of the cello, in this case, it did very well.
birdkid
j_dowe wrote:
MaartenV wrote:

Dear j_dowe, additionally to what Maarten has said, personally I was always a huge fan of early sequential oscillators in combination with a mellow 24dB LPF. Those served as sound reference (not schematic reference).
RAVEN is wide-range - 8octaves are the absolute minimum we're aiming for.
It is a saw-core, also transistor based design, but entirely different to TheBateleur oscillator. They're much more responsive to external modulation sources as well, as this was the basis for "infinitebly flexible" withing modular workflow claim we had.

TheBateleur VCO is based on a compensated UJT design that builds on 901A/B principles, it's inherently unstable and very hard to spread over a convincing range, it took us 2+ years to get efficient with it (about 6octaves). Mr. Moog managed to coax 3.5 octaves on a good day as far as we've found out.

I share Maarten's requirement of modular being part of the musical instrument, having response within every touch and tweak is the basic fundamental principle in everything we design. If it's not playable in the most essential components, we don't do it.

I'm not a musician (though I come from production) but you can hear some noodling, using the proof-of-concept here:

etherline
I'm up for a bit of that. Haven't had much time for Eurorack recently but I have confidence in birdkids to build something exceptional.
Leverkusen
I just had a look at the kickstarter site. I did not find the smart third batch option though. Did I already miss it?

On a side note, and I know it is none of my business but I wondered if the price policy is a good idea.

Who will buy it for the full price after one year of existence and three batches of massive discount?

hmmm.....
visible cow
The demos of this are right up my alley, it sounds fantastic!

Any chance you could get an image up on modulargrid?
etherline
Leverkusen wrote:

Who will buy it for the full price after one year of existence and three batches of massive discount?

hmmm.....

Either everyone or no-one if it doesn't fund. eek!
birdkid
Leverkusen wrote:
I just had a look at the kickstarter site. I did not find the smart third batch option though. Did I already miss it?

On a side note, and I know it is none of my business but I wondered if the price policy is a good idea.

hmmm.....

Dear Leverkusen, you're right, the "Smart Saver" option is not visible, we've addressed it in the FAQ:

I cannot see the 3rd batch possibility titled "Smart Saver" (50% Off MSRP) among the pledges.
The "Smart Saver" pledge category is scheduled via the campaign editor to begin on the 28th of November. Kickstarter apparently keeps those hidden until the scheduled date.

Why the pledges cannot be simply "greyed-out" is beyond my understanding. But we don't have control over said provider of service.

As to the question re price policy, I totally understand what you mean, the idea is to give early adopters and backers first pick so to say, not just as buyers but more like equal partners.

We tried to explain that in the "Why Kickstarter?" section. thumbs up
birdkid
visible cow wrote:
The demos of this are right up my alley, it sounds fantastic!

Any chance you could get an image up on modulargrid?

Great idea, will do ASAP. thumbs up
j_dowe
Many thanks Maarten and Birdkids. I am finding myself persuaded. I appreciate the detailed responses.

thumbs up
brickman
Mike, what are the plans if you dont hit the kickstarter goal ?
Leverkusen
birdkid wrote:
Leverkusen wrote:

hmmm.....

Dear Leverkusen, you're right, the "Smart Saver" option is not visible, we've addressed it in the FAQ:

I cannot see the 3rd batch possibility titled "Smart Saver" (50% Off MSRP) among the pledges.
The "Smart Saver" pledge category is scheduled via the campaign editor to begin on the 28th of November. Kickstarter apparently keeps those hidden until the scheduled date.

Why the pledges cannot be simply "greyed-out" is beyond my understanding. But we don't have control over said provider of service.

As to the question re price policy, I totally understand what you mean, the idea is to give early adopters and backers first pick so to say, not just as buyers but more like equal partners.

We tried to explain that in the "Why Kickstarter?" section. thumbs up

Ah, I see - Thanks for pointing me there! I Have to admit that I hardly ever read the whole kickstarter descriptions...
birdkid
brickman wrote:
Mike, what are the plans if you dont hit the kickstarter goal ?

Well if we can't find even 50 people out there in the world who would wanna have one after ringing pretty much every bell imaginable and going towards a 4-year track record of building very special gear, it would be time to call it quits.
brickman
birdkid wrote:

Well if we can't find even 50 people out there in the world who would wanna have one after ringing pretty much every bell imaginable and going towards a 4-year track record of building very special gear, it would be time to call it quits.

Well let's hope it doesn't come to that . You're over half way to 50 people already.
If it counts for anything, I think Birdkids are the best out there for vintage analogue tone.
chaosick
Howdy, I talked with you quite a bit at SB at your booth about jazz and other thing when you were demoing that crazy euro programmable controller (what happened with that?)
This sounds great, but I don't really understand..where's uh, envelopes/function generator??
birdkid
chaosick wrote:
Howdy, I talked with you quite a bit at SB at your booth about jazz and other thing when you were demoing that crazy euro programmable controller (what happened with that?)
This sounds great, but I don't really understand..where's uh, envelopes/function generator??

I remember having that jazz conversation with you smile

You're referring to CROW Intelligence, we've received amazing feedback about that from the Media Artist and Hacker community, but nearly 0-understanding from Modular people, hence we've decided to make it an open-source environment and supply some extremely simple, minimal hardware solutions in the form of a tiny I/O box as we're fully aware that each performer in a cross-media scenario would need a completely different setup.
So it would be best if people use their dedicated MIDI or DIY controllers and we provide the connectivity to the outside world.

As to the RAVEN, it's a 100% analog, synthesizer voice.
We've done envelopes, and they ARE offered as bundles as well on the Campaign site, and each of the oscillators or VCF can be used as an LFO or looping faux-envelope, there's also External signal input and Noise generator. We focus on what we do best, and make it the best sounding, best quality, fully analog, synthesizer voice our faculties allow.
brickman
Any chance you could get the module up on Modulargrid....please!
birdkid
brickman wrote:
Any chance you could get the module up on Modulargrid....please!

RAVEN on Modulargrid

w00t
brickman
Cheers!

Curious, how do you control the pitch of osc 2 ?
Fayette
brickman wrote:
Cheers!

There's 2 1v/oct inputs

Edit, nevermind, I think I understand why you ask... curious about this as well...
birdkid
brickman wrote:
Cheers!

Excellent question!

Here's a general overview of how we wanted to approach the matter:

A RAVEN VCO core should operate over the minimum range of C0-C6 in a linear manner, and then some on top and bottom depending on what we can coax out.

In terms of engineering, two separate coarse tune situations are the easiest to implement, but seeing as modular people, usually have more clout in terms of control faculties and sequencing - having the token 1v/oct per VCO was a no-brainer. What we really wanted to focus on was the, so to say, alternative semi-modular sceanrio, of someone seeing the RAVEN as an entity, with the Oscillators being in a dual configuration.

For that we have two scenarios implemented in the currently presented product.

scenario 1:
Oscillator I = coarse tune varies the frequency in an absolute manner, with middle potentiometer position equaling C2 (C0=-2V, C4=+2V, C8=+6V). Bypassed upon incoming 1v/oct signal.
Oscillator II = fine tune offsets relative to Oscillator I by +/- octave.

scenario 2: Jumpered
Oscillator I = coarse tune is relative to incoming 1v/oct signal (C0=-2V, C4=+2V, C8=+6V).
Oscillator II = fine tune offsets relative to incoming, normalized 1v/oct voltages by +/- octave.

Most CV inputs for the oscillator settings are normalized to simplify patching, only sync is separate per oscillator for obvious reasons.

This way, people who'd like to enjoy a completely modular workflow can have a blast with completely standalone oscillators and standalone outputs, and those who want a dual oscillator situation have it implemented in the UI directly with two options, relative and absolute coarse tuning. So everyone's included in a way.

Hope that make sense?
brickman
Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation thumbs up
birdkid
brickman wrote:
Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation thumbs up

Absolutely, any questions you boys & girls have, throw them at me!

Regarding the VCF section and the semi-modular possibilities of organizing the signal-flow.

1. We have a transistor-based noise source, which can feed directly to the VCF, the noise source is present also standalone as an output.
2. An external input present at ext.in will bypass the noise source going into the VCF.
3. Removing a Jumper on the 2nd PCB will allow to re-route the noise/ext.in to VCA directly.

Why point 3 might be of importance, in case one uses the VCF as a 3rd voice, it might be good to know, that it's possible to route it directly into the VCA by taking the filter out to ext.in and using the noise/ext.in potentiometer to set the amount of incoming VCF in self-oscillation signal.

There are three VCF modes:

1. VCO I+II+noise/ext.in to VCF to VCA.
2. VCO I+II to VCA, noise/ext.in to VCF.
3. VCO I+II to VCA, noise/ext.in to VCF which tracks 1v/oct.

After the deployment of the engineering prototypes in the next weeks we will investigate the possibility of re-routing noise/ext.in to VCA on setting 3.
Needless to say when having a fully analog conglomerate of circuits, things we take for granted with digitally implemented designs like re-calibration of a potentiometer range are not really feasible, so most controls are WYSIWIG and that's also the beauty in simplicity - if it's well thought out, you end up having to do less during a performance to get instant feedback.
We're so grateful to have had 3 years of learning with engineering TheBateleur VCO, it teaches you to really think ahead, like analog photography, every function has to serve a clear purpose, no fluff. Rockin' Banana!
beem
Interesting! Looks and sounds really nice!
beem
@birdkid Are you scheduling time for doing product adjustments between 1st and 2nd batch? June-july feels so far away, but in theory there might be flaws that are fixed in the later batches.. whistlin'
birdkid
beem wrote:
@birdkid Are you scheduling time for doing product adjustments between 1st and 2nd batch? June-july feels so far away, but in theory there might be flaws that are fixed in the later batches.. whistlin'

We're already at rev 3.5 internally at this point, the issues we're encountering are of minor cosmetic nature - but wherever we can improve we do, not that we expect it will be noticeable superficially, but totally worth it for us.

The batches should be virtually identical in sound, build and function regardless of shipping time, the reason for the delay is that we're hoping to mount a larger quantity for the 2nd batch and optimizing the testing procedure.
Batch 1 will be tested completely by hand, hence the tiny quantity.
Mind you, all units are assembled and calibrated by hand in any case. Testing refers to signal-flow and values across all TP points on the PCB and standby in case of debugging.
Prunesquallor
Looks great, but I would consider extending the kickstart deadline until next Feb or so. Wallets are generally empty either side of Christmas.
beem
birdkid wrote:

We're already at rev 3.5 internally at this point...

Thanks for the answer! Getting really tempted. Got a "keyboard case" where it really would be sweet to have something semi modular like this, to fit more and get started easily.
birdkid
Prunesquallor wrote:
Looks great, but I would consider extending the kickstart deadline until next Feb or so. Wallets are generally empty either side of Christmas.

The running time of a campaign cannot be changed, neither stretch over more than 60 days. We figured if 3 weeks of full-on won't do, nothing will.
Besides, today's Black Friday Special (€399,- from 6PM CET, 24hr exclusive) should leave nothing to be desired w00t
cityz3n
First of all I think the raven sounds fantastic!

Just a little question.
What is the stand alone case you are using?

I really like the design of the prototype.
Was it always the plan to make it eurorack size?
And would you be selling the prototypes?

I hope you reach the goal, I’ll make sure I’ll find the money to support the project.
birdkid
cityz3n wrote:
First of all I think the raven sounds fantastic!

Just a little question.
What is the stand alone case you are using?

I really like the design of the prototype.
Was it always the plan to make it eurorack size?
And would you be selling the prototypes?

I hope you reach the goal, I’ll make sure I’ll find the money to support the project.

Thank you so much SlayerBadger!

RAVEN was always planned as a eurorack module, the working title is in fact "Son of TheBateleur".

The case we're using for display is a beautiful, Frap Tools PLUS.
We've been using that case already in TheBateleur 42hp System and we're huge fans of Frap Tools, Simone is one of the best guys outthere in general.

We do not sell prototypes, sorry.
Thank you so much! thumbs up
brickman
Would it make more sense to label 'fine' as 'Osc 2 pitch' or 'offset'?

It doesnt affect osc 1 pitch , but I'd make the assumption looking at the panel that fine is related to osc 1 coarse...
birdkid
brickman wrote:

It doesnt affect osc 1 pitch , but I'd make the assumption looking at the panel that fine is related to osc 1 coarse...

I understand where the assumption might come from, seeing as many synthesizers have both coarse and fine tune settings per Oscillator, however there are markings right next to the pitch potentiometers which echo to the 3.5mm Jack rows above.

And it is related to VCO I coarse setting provided there is no separate input in the VCO II 1v/oct input jack.
j_dowe
birdkid wrote:

today's Black Friday Special (€399,- from 6PM CET, 24hr exclusive) should leave nothing to be desired w00t

applause screaming goo yo SlayerBadger!
chaosick
birdkid wrote:
chaosick wrote:

I remember having that jazz conversation with you smile

You're referring to CROW Intelligence, we've received amazing feedback about that from the Media Artist and Hacker community, but nearly 0-understanding from Modular people, hence we've decided to make it an open-source environment and supply some extremely simple, minimal hardware solutions in the form of a tiny I/O box as we're fully aware that each performer in a cross-media scenario would need a completely different setup.
So it would be best if people use their dedicated MIDI or DIY controllers and we provide the connectivity to the outside world.

As to the RAVEN, it's a 100% analog, synthesizer voice.
We've done envelopes, and they ARE offered as bundles as well on the Campaign site, and each of the oscillators or VCF can be used as an LFO or looping faux-envelope, there's also External signal input and Noise generator. We focus on what we do best, and make it the best sounding, best quality, fully analog, synthesizer voice our faculties allow.

ha ha..I'm glad I'm that memorable, even if it only speaks as to the rarity to which jazz and modular synths come up and coexist (even though I still have a memory of a video of Joe Zawinul in his studio with his Prophet 10 and a bunch of other stuff saying, "A sequencer can be funky if you know how to use it.")
I admit I still find the idea of a envelope-less "synth voice" kind of a weird decision..and I don't need more envelopes, but then again, the same could be said of any other building block give the current size of my system..so I just backed it at the crazy 55% off new price.

So everyone else go back it now so it will actually happen smile
I mean seriously, 399€ for 2 osc and filter and VCA that all sound these good is ridiculous. It's a no brainer.
cityz3n
backed!

Still 110 minutes for the Black Friday deal people...
Dcramer
That’s a great price for this amount of hardware, through your fav Env/Modulators on it and shwiiiiing! This is fun!
Addam
Backed it yesterday. Easily the biggest impulse purchase I've made by orders of magnitude. twisted

Love the design. Patch points on top is fine for me.. cords gonna get in the way no matter what. Maybe the text near the knobs is a little small, though? I understand wanting uniformity in font size... maybe I just need a bigger laptop monitor !
birdkid
Addam wrote:
Backed it yesterday. Easily the biggest impulse purchase I've made by orders of magnitude. twisted

Love the design. Patch points on top is fine for me.. cords gonna get in the way no matter what. Maybe the text near the knobs is a little small, though? I understand wanting uniformity in font size... maybe I just need a bigger laptop monitor !

w00t You won't be disappointed.

As to the typeface point, legibility is of immense concern to me when designing a UI. I chose Avenir for RAVEN from years of personal experience with that typeface through deployment in various scenarios, print/web etc.. (used to work for Wunderman/Y&R back in the early 2000s).

Here's a quote from one of my favourite all-time designers:

"Looking back on more than 40 years of concern with sans serif typefaces, I felt an obligation to design a linear style of sans serif, in the tradition of Erbar, Futura, and to a lesser extent Gill Sans. These have purely constructed characters from which the element of a handwriting movement has been removed. Obviously this could not be an outstanding new creation, but I have tried to make use of the experience and stylistic developments of the 20th century in order to work out an independent alphabet meeting modern typographical needs. Even though Avenir™ can be classified as a constructivist typeface, it does not have a purely geometric and linear drawing. The vertical stroke lengths have been reduced in order to make text setting more legible, on the well-established grounds that the human eye takes in horizontals more easily than verticals and tends to grasp the meaning of a line in a horizontal sweep.... Avenir is intended to be nothing more nor less than a clear and clean representation of modern typographical trends, giving the designer a typeface which is strictly modern and at the same time humane, ie suitable refined and elegant for use in texts of any length."
-- Adrian Frutiger (for more see http://www.linotype.com/13417/interviewwithafrutiger-doc.html).

You'll find the smaller point super sharp on the contrasting panels (black on aluminium or white on black anodized) and not so far away in style from early BRAUN designs (nod to Dieter Rams as usual).
Addam
birdkid
Thanks for the thoughtful response to my annoying comment. haha. I trust you on the design wink

This has me thinking about making a little self contained system (as mentioned before) based around the Raven that looks as nice as it is fun as opposed to my current setup which is a total mess aesthetically.
chaosick
Addam wrote:
birdkid
Thanks for the thoughtful response to my annoying comment. haha. I trust you on the design wink

This has me thinking about making a little self contained system (as mentioned before) based around the Raven that looks as nice as it is fun as opposed to my current setup which is a total mess aesthetically.

I plan on putting it into my Waldorf KB37 and then taking out some of the AJH currently in it to put in the case in front of it.
brickman
birdkid wrote:
brickman wrote:

I understand where the assumption might come from, seeing as many synthesizers have both coarse and fine tune settings per Oscillator, however there are markings right next to the pitch potentiometers which echo to the 3.5mm Jack rows above.

And it is related to VCO I coarse setting provided there is no separate input in the VCO II 1v/oct input jack.

Yeah I get where you're coming from. Personally I'd rather see it labeled in line with most other synths, but whatever, it sounds too good for me to really care about the labeling.
Fayette
I hope this gets funded.. There havent been much action since black friday neutral huh?
birdkid
Fayette wrote:
I hope this gets funded.. There havent been much action since black friday neutral huh?

Dear Fayette,

I think many books have been written about the mechanics of human psychology when it comes to rewards and relative values.
In so many words, everybody loves a BARGAIN.
It clouds logic and reason, in fact we saw at least 5, early backers, downgrade immediately when presented with such chance.
I mean even people who'd specifically opt for a March batch, would downgrade to a November 2019 dispatch and in turn lower the chance of it being funded at all.
But I get it, holiday season, long-term-investments etc..
Hell we should be grateful for every good thought, save buck that people are willing to pledge, the faith is strong here we're not worthy
We would be nowhere without you guys and girls, and if this project makes it, we'll make sure to make you all very very happy thumbs up
etherline
Hmm. Perhaps I should not have 'downgraded' to the Black Friday offer, but equally my first instinct was actually to add a second pledge. Kickstarter does not (as far as I was able to determine) allow more than one pledge at a time.

You also only have pledges for one unit or three units. Perhaps if your Black Friday offer had included a two unit offer you might have been pleasantly surprised by the human psychology of the saving to be had from buying two of something at a greater discount than one. Supermarkets use that very effectively. (It would actually have been a genuine 'BOGOF' offer)

Still, let's all hope for a late surge of interest. The main thing is that it looks like a great product and I am sure we all want it to succeed.
birdkid
etherline wrote:
Hmm. Perhaps I should not have 'downgraded' to the Black Friday offer, but equally my first instinct was actually to add a second pledge. Kickstarter does not (as far as I was able to determine) allow more than one pledge at a time.

You also only have pledges for one unit or three units. Perhaps if your Black Friday offer had included a two unit offer you might have been pleasantly surprised by the human psychology of the saving to be had from buying two of something at a greater discount than one. Supermarkets use that very effectively. (It would actually have been a genuine 'BOGOF' offer)

Still, let's all hope for a late surge of interest. The main thing is that it looks like a great product and I am sure we all want it to succeed.

Haha, yeah Ken it's absolutely true, I think there's about a million things I still have to learn in terms of marketing. (edit. implemented some new options).
Like I said, fully understand that people have very good reasons to change their mind, and I might have done the same with all the crazy deals around this time of the year, so no judgement on my side, just full respect and gratitude that people are willing to long-term invest in something they really believe in, and our part is to live to those expectations and surpass them.
Challenge accepted Rockin' Banana!
birdkid
We've deployed 3, early prototypes (rev 3.2) units for first feedback, first footage by the awesome DivKid already online:

Some pledge options added to the Campaign site, the Early Backer x2, and the Supersaver Group Pack (399 p. Unit).

>> RAVEN, a 100% analog, synthesizer voice.
w00t
brickman
Good to see the Raven in the hands of DivKid thumbs up

Mike, is the black panel the prototype panel ? Or will you be offering the Raven in silver and black ?
birdkid
brickman wrote:
Good to see the Raven in the hands of DivKid thumbs up

Mike, is the black panel the prototype panel ? Or will you be offering the Raven in silver and black ?

Indeed! smile
Silver/blue, black/lilac
The panel is a prototype with digital print overlays, nothing like the actual silkscreen our modules usually have. You can also see the overlays offsetting and peeling off in areas, that's just UV print. The typeface precision is way off as well and bloated.
For a correct representation of the panel, this is what it looks like on the actual product:

sharp print, no offset, flawless coating you can't scratch off.

The black anodized panel is actually off-black, quite pleasant, same we're using on TheBataleur VCO.

Keep in mind, it's an early engineering prototype in the vid, even the XL version we had at Dutch Modular Fest is more up-to-date with the final product. Some ranges of the potentiometer we had to restrict (vcf/vco) for linearity of response, the fine-tune is +/- 400Hz as opposed to an octave and the opto vca is not quite there yet.
But we had to supply some units before the Campaign, as it would not be fair to not give people a feel for the development of what we're up to and how it feels to work with it.
brickman
That silver panel looks lovely. The font looks tiny though. Any chance you'd make it larger for those of us with more aged eyes...?
vaxoid
it'd be cool if they put Braille signatures on the panel
nnamesor
j_dowe wrote:
MaartenV wrote:

Would like to hear this comparison as well.
birdkid
brickman wrote:
That silver panel looks lovely. The font looks tiny though. Any chance you'd make it larger for those of us with more aged eyes...?

If point size is an issue, I'll bow to demand and increase it, sure.
AndreasD
birdkid wrote:
brickman wrote:

If point size is an issue, I'll bow to demand and increase it, sure.

I would appreciate if you increase the text size.

It would also be a nice touch if there would be an octave switch for the vco(s). +-1 would be good enough.

I backed one already.
brickman
I'd like to see a larger font size.
cityz3n
I really don’t mind the so called small font.
I think I know the layout by heart by now.

I’d rather see some action on the kickstarter campaign.
I saw it go from 60 backers to 59.
That’s not how it’s supposed to go!!! d'oh!
j_dowe
cityz3n wrote:

I’d rather see some action on the kickstarter campaign.
I saw it go from 60 backers to 59.
That’s not how it’s supposed to go!!! d'oh!

We just need a few retailers to order the Raven x5. Surely 57% off MSRP is lower than wholesale?

I imagine this is going down to the wire.

Enjoy the show!
j_dowe
btw, I'm okay with the font size. I usually don't read my modules anyway. After a bit of use, I should know where everything is... and the parameter locations on the Raven seem logical.
deltaAquarii
damn does it sound nice!
(personally i really like the prototype square formfactor more. standalone, with nice wood enclosure and internal power would have been awesome. but yeah the module eurorack market is probably better to go for. )
birdkid
If a slight point-size increase is going to make it more accessible to those who need it, I'm 100% for it, and it can be done tastefully without distorting the overall balance and aesthetic considerations, so consider implemented.

We feel you guys on the frustration of things moving so slowly (and sometimes backwards), but that's how it is, perhaps a time will come when a wide audience will appreciate what we've done, but it were YOU who had the foresight.
Anyway we can't be more happy with the feedback and love we're getting, and can't wait to get to work once this is hopefully funded.
We can do it, Julius says so:

Livestream with the amazing Maarten Vos and Julius the Great

Rockin' Banana! nanners screaming goo yo SlayerBadger! applause Guinness ftw! thumbs up
Addam
Great sounds. Keeping my fingers crossed! SlayerBadger!
Bots
I check the kickstarter 3 times a day.... please let this succeeds we're not worthy
birdkid
Bots wrote:
I check the kickstarter 3 times a day.... please let this succeeds we're not worthy

We hope so too, anyways, "Smart Saver" options are all bought up, some "Early Birds" and "Early Adopter" pledges available, as well as some interesting new bundles. And of course the x5 Pack which is 399,- per unit. And we see a bunch of shops looking at those via our newsletter send-out, so let's see.

Rockin' Banana!
noeticsound
I really want to see this happen. The Raven is one of the most elegant designs in Eurorack voice modules out there.

I think some people earlier in the thread suggested that it was priced too high. I believe they misunderstood the value proposition and - I’m sure not maliciously - dampened the enthusiasm that should’ve kicked off this campaign.

Now it looks like it’s in danger of missing the deadline with just a couple days left. Over the weekend, I upgraded my pledge from the €399 Black Friday offer to the €1599 Raven System plus Bataleur System package. Along with a couple of other new backers, I moved the needle a bit but not nearly enough.

So I decided that I’m prepared to go even further. I know that some of you out there are anxious to see this happen and are willing to chip in a bit more to see it through. If you are, speak up.

Let’s see what we can do as a community to help realize this beautiful instrument. I’m pretty sure Mike will work with us to create some more options if need be. If enough of you have the means and the desire to push harder, I will upgrade my pledge again to the package I got plus 3 MORE RAVENS. I’ll sell off some gear and play around with the Eurorack polysynth that I’ve been fastiduously avoiding up until now. Four Ravens, a Shuttle Control, and a Roli Seaboard...a tasty thought, no?

So, you all. What do you think? Is anyone with me on this?
etherline
noeticsound wrote:
I really want to see this happen. The Raven is one of the most elegant designs in Eurorack voice modules out there.

So, you all. What do you think? Is anyone with me on this?

I think it's great that you have such enthusiasm for the project but don't put its success or failure on your own shoulders. Pledge what makes sense for you. Others have done the same and the outcome will depend on factors in Mike's hands or with last minute buyers. Mike is a very tenacious guy. It will happen some way if not this way.
noeticsound
etherline wrote:
I think it's great that you have such enthusiasm for the project but don't put its success or failure on your own shoulders. Pledge what makes sense for you. Others have done the same and the outcome will depend on factors in Mike's hands or with last minute buyers. Mike is a very tenacious guy. It will happen some way if not this way.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply that I’m the Raven’s savior; I’m most certainly not. In fact, I could pledge for 8 Ravens right now, and it still wouldn’t cross the threshold.

I’m under no illusion: I can’t do this alone. This campaign needs community support. I happen to think that the project is worthy of that support, and I’m willing to dig into my pocket to demonstrate my belief in its worthiness.

It’s just my opinion, though. I’m not calling out anyone who disagrees. This is hardware modular synthesis we’re talking about - a market with scores of talented designers competing for the wallets of a tiny handful of geeks with disposible income. We’re not saving rainforests, curing cancer, ending famine or war; we’re mostly just indulging a quirky hobby. Of course, there are worse things to do with our time, but there are undoubtedly better too. So, I’m no hero. I’d just like to see this funded.
cityz3n
noeticsound wrote:
etherline wrote:

Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply that I’m the Raven’s savior; I’m most certainly not. In fact, I could pledge for 8 Ravens right now, and it still wouldn’t cross the threshold.

I’m under no illusion: I can’t do this alone. This campaign needs community support. I happen to think that the project is worthy of that support, and I’m willing to dig into my pocket to demonstrate my belief in its worthiness.

It’s just my opinion, though. I’m not calling out anyone who disagrees. This is hardware modular synthesis we’re talking about - a market with scores of talented designers competing for the wallets of a tiny handful of geeks with disposible income. We’re not saving rainforests, curing cancer, ending famine or war; we’re mostly just indulging a quirky hobby. Of course, there are worse things to do with our time, but there are undoubtedly better too. So, I’m no hero. I’d just like to see this funded.

applause applause applause
I think that’s a piece of art that reply.
cityz3n
The famous double post!
birdkid
noeticsound wrote:
etherline wrote:

And just like that, faith in humanity restored love

As much as I was brought up to always seek the solution in myself, I too have no illusions that this is an endeavor that only the community can help materialize.

We did not anticipate such low, slow numbers, however nor did we anticipate such phenomenal warm-hearted adoption of our dream, which became a mutual one.
Reading through the forum, people are holding their breath with us to make this happen. Speechless. We always thought it's gonna be a dry transaction, you save big, we get to do something exceptional, but emotional involvement is not something we've ever anticipated on such level.

As a team, we've devoted more than three years to the development of the constituents that went into RAVEN, often sacrificing monetizing through going to production with separate modules in favor of a bigger-picture correlation which ultimately became the RAVEN.
But idealism also takes its toll, so we find ourselves in the position of fully relying on crowd funding to go into production to make it remotely competitive price-wise, and if we have to do it ourselves the competitive aspect is no longer possible. We never aim for boutique prices, but if you look at the component list, the PCB tolerances, Mechanicals and custom panels you'll end up asking yourself how we even make a living selling those at the price we usually do. The answer is - barely.
To be perfectly clear regarding expectations - if this campaign does not work out, I cannot promise a release in any foreseeable timeframe, nor ever at the suggested MSRP.
Thus it is very likely, that even in the event of successful funding, the retail price will only increase down the line. We hold our side of the agreement vis-a-vis the campaign without saying, but FYI 'early adopter' is going to be the distribution purchase pricing, you can do the math regarding retail from that on ,)

The point is, whoever is in, has already done their best (some more than others, dear noeticsound thumbs up ) so we're eternally grateful for each and every pledge.
MaartenV
Just made a sequence on the RAVEN prototype just now, must say, it sounds amazing!! Hopefully it gets funded indeed, its really worth it.

MaartenV
And here another clarinet sounding snippet of that jam.
[s]https://soundcloud.com/maartenvos/raven-sequence/s-2DLvi[/s]
etherline
noeticsound wrote:
etherline wrote:

..So, I’m no hero. I’d just like to see this funded.

My concern was actually for your financial well-being not your military record razz

But I admire your passion. It's not misplaced.
strangegravity
Great sounding voice. I watched DivKid noodle on it. Too bad it doesn't have at least an AR to make it a complete voice.

Anyway..... too expensive for my budget
j_dowe
kickstarter at 92%!

hopefully all these divkid videos will push it over (one per day over the last week)

w00t
noeticsound
etherline wrote:
My concern was actually for your financial well-being not your military record razz

But I admire your passion. It's not misplaced.

thumbs up

Thanks for lookin' out, etherline! I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford it without dropping below adequate levels of food and shelter to sustain survival...for now. help Mr. Green

There's been a lot of progress in the last couple of days. The campaign is now really close to getting funded. We're less than 24 hours from the deadline; timing is tight AF, but I'm feeling optimistic.
cityz3n
We did it!
etherline
cityz3n wrote:
We did it!

Hooray! I was dreading going down the back of the sofa looking for loose change. I think noetic might have sold his sofa.
AntonWoldhek
woie
noeticsound
etherline wrote:
cityz3n wrote:
We did it!

Hooray! I was dreading going down the back of the sofa looking for loose change. I think noetic might have sold his sofa.

And I couldn't be happier. I was starting to feel oppressed by the convention of sofa seating, like I'm obligated to sit on it.

Well, it can torment me no longer. I'm free. I AM DELIVERED! And so much more floor space. They don't tell you that when they design your interiors. razz
noeticsound
MaartenV wrote:
Just made a sequence on the RAVEN prototype just now, must say, it sounds amazing!! Hopefully it gets funded indeed, its really worth it.

Maarten, I love the sound of this demo!

It strongly reminds me of Sakamoto's Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence. Your melody is much more expansive, possibly generative, but the implied harmonic motion is similar. Is that coincidental?
chaosick
noeticsound wrote:
MaartenV wrote:

It strongly reminds me of Sakamoto's Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence. Your melody is much more expansive, possibly generative, but the implied harmonic motion is similar. Is that coincidental?

I haven't seen this film but I know that Takeshi Kitano is in it, in a cheesy role (apparently?) His own films are brilliant ,and speaking of music, he has one of the best composers around doing the music in many of them, Jo Hisashi.
MaartenV
noeticsound wrote:
MaartenV wrote:

yeah kind of based on that harmony for this demo indeed!
birdkid
MaartenV wrote:
noeticsound wrote:
MaartenV wrote:

yeah kind of based on that harmony for this demo indeed!

@noeticsound - Maarten has that sequencing magic I rarely hear anywhere else..

Anyway sorry I didn't have time to reply yesterday yet, we were on the move all day, and I'm taking care of Julius the Pug (or vice versa, depending on the outlook).

So we were noodling on the same prototype DivKid had in his studio, this time in Utrecht at Maarten's place.

Sequence is by Maarten, I'm just knob twiddling. There is some distortion going too hot into the digital inputs of the streaming software, mind you it's software side, the unit is really clean, too clean gain staging for my taste even, can't wait to go back to Vienna and add some overharmonic distortion past 3 o'clock on the VCA. To be fair, the task, engineering team set here for themselves with the early proto, was to get predictable measurements respective our simulations, they did, now it's up to me (the modular, knucklehead) to set the response ranges and overall sonic behavior to let's call it *taste*, the XL version already had a lot of tweaking of ranges before I flew out to Den Haag, but the 42hp versions were developed earlier and held back for measurements Dead Banana

Oh, yah, we made it past 100% funding I think.. just sidenote we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! applause applause applause applause applause
birdkid

Other than about 7k still missing from people not having their Credit Cards covered at moment of pledge withdrawal, we can call it a success w00t

Gonna keep you guys & girls updated in the next days and then it's off to the lab hyper
AntonWoldhek
oh god. kickstarter doesnt put a reserve on the cc until due date. sigh...
birdkid
AntonWoldhek wrote:
oh god. kickstarter doesnt put a reserve on the cc until due date. sigh...

Yeah, but it's not affecting backers or campaign outcome - y'all safe just on the record thumbs up
cityz3n
Ok. My card was charged today!
MaartenV
Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat. Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat. Teh forumcats stormcat Forumcat #2
yay! awesome we made it!
birdkid
MaartenV wrote:
Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat. Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat. Teh forumcats stormcat Forumcat #2
yay! awesome we made it!

Yay! Tomorrow, Kickstarter will send us the final list of Backers and Fulfillment lists. SlayerBadger!

Multiple Skype conferences with engineering and lots of feedback from early testers - check.
Bug Fixes List crossed - check.
Production Slots reserved for February - check.

Next up, Lab meeting in Vienna on the 20th/21st of Dec.
Whoever backed RAVEN - y'all gonna be happy campers when you read what we have in stock for you Mr. Green

whinger
Congratulations, that's great news.
birdkid
whinger wrote:
Congratulations, that's great news.

Thank you! w00t

We're deep into our lab extracurricular activities at the moment, I won't be able to keep up with the forum on a regular basis, but we're using our Facepalm channel to drop some hints regarding the progress, to be followed by an extensive, official, status update on the Campaign site sometime in mid January.

Facepalm Link

Oh and for those in the LA area, I'll be attending some key days (most likely 25th/26th of January) of NAMM 2019 as a spokesperson for birdkids, so get in touch if you wanna chat or just hug Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat. - if Chris of EQD is around, good coffee is possible even in Anaheim.
cityz3n
Wow!!!

I think I figured out the hint.

Happy holidays!
birdkid
cityz3n wrote:
Wow!!!

Happy holidays!

It has to do with Subs It's motherfucking bacon yo

Happy Holidays y'all!
cityz3n
birdkid wrote:
cityz3n wrote:
Wow!!!

Happy holidays!

It has to do with Subs It's motherfucking bacon yo

Happy Holidays y'all!

Woohoo!!! applause hyper applause

we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy

That with no extra hp. It’s a Xmas miracle!
birdkid
What happened so far (aka previously on LOST):

1. Campaign reflection and definition of streeeetchgoals.
2. Re-design, optimization and verification.
3. Production start.

Upcoming:

Calibration and dispatch of 1st batch to Early Adopters. w00t

As usual, I'm not on this forum much, and even less so than before as this year is basically a non-stop rollercoaster ride of exhibs, workshops and talks.
Do, send me a good ol' pigeon post, addy here.

And if nothing else, here's where you'll find the:

sounds
[s]https://soundcloud.com/birdkids/sets/raven-an-introduction[/s]

vids
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2tuVcl5u2EF3ZjprxfxmCw/videos

ye olde shoppe

birdkids official webshop powered by Big Cartel

socials
FB TWITTER IG

Rock on! Rockin' Banana!
Leverkusen
birdkid wrote:
chaosick
birdkid wrote:

3. Production start.

Upcoming:

As usual, I'm not on this forum much, and even less so than before as this year is basically a non-stop rollercoaster ride of exhibs, workshops and talks.

sounds

vids

ye olde shoppe

socials
FB TWITTER IG

Rock on! Rockin' Banana!

Looking forward to it. You've probably made more good demos showcasing different sides of it than any module I've ever seen, more manufacturers should follow your example. Most beautiful collection of patch sheets I've ever seen.
birdkid
chaosick wrote:
birdkid wrote:

3. Production start.

Upcoming:

sounds

vids

ye olde shoppe

socials
FB TWITTER IG

Rock on! Rockin' Banana!

Looking forward to it. You've probably made more good demos showcasing different sides of it than any module I've ever seen, more manufacturers should follow your example. Most beautiful collection of patch sheets I've ever seen.

Oh, thank you so much for the kind words thumbs up
The patch sheets are for TheBateleur series and 42hp System. But RAVEN will get the same treatment, just waiting for the final panels to arrive, and then we have some video material for you!

Tech specs are in too... How low can you go? 0.1Hz (in LFO mode).
cityz3n
birdkid wrote:

But RAVEN will get the same treatment, just waiting for the final panels to arrive, and then we have some video material for you!

Tech specs are in too... How low can you go? 0.1Hz (in LFO mode).

Yeah!!!
applause
birdkid
1460 holes per PCB.
666 elec./mech. components (YES, we had some, uhm help to make it sound THAT good twisted )
81 Testpoints.
3 Engineers.
1 SlimJim™ automatic testing system.

[/img]
chaosick
birdkid wrote:
1460 holes per PCB.
666 elec./mech. components (YES, we had some, uhm help to make it sound THAT good twisted )
81 Testpoints.
3 Engineers.

[/img]

Sorry, I don't know shit about circuit engineering, but I'm curious about this help --> sound quality, particular in the current super pc-"it's all good," calm rhetoric that has invaded even eurorack modules, trying to mislead people that all oscillators are "good", it just depends on your "tastes, man," when your product is a clear proof that this is utter BS.
goldi
Whoa how'd i miss this? What's the status, anymore kickstarter stuff happening?
scuto
chaosick wrote:
birdkid wrote:
1460 holes per PCB.
81 Testpoints.
3 Engineers.

[/img]

Sorry, I don't know shit about circuit engineering, but I'm curious about this help --> sound quality, particular in the current super pc-"it's all good," calm rhetoric that has invaded even eurorack modules, trying to mislead people that all oscillators are "good", it just depends on your "tastes, man," when your product is a clear proof that this is utter BS.

hmmm..... I thought it was a raven/devil-type joke with the 666?
chaosick
scuto wrote:
chaosick wrote:
birdkid wrote:
1460 holes per PCB.
81 Testpoints.
3 Engineers.

[/img]

hmmm..... I thought it was a raven/devil-type joke with the 666?

oh ,ha ha.
synonymist
goldi wrote:
Whoa how'd i miss this? What's the status, anymore kickstarter stuff happening?

+1

@birdkid, hello. Is it no longer possible to buy a new Raven?
birdkid
Hey friends, sorry I just couldn't muster posting here so soon after Mr. McGrath's passing. We owe him so much for making this interaction between us possible. But I guess it's up to us to keep the torch lit and carry it.

First off, @chaossick:
It's a very rewarding process to be able to build a chair from scratch, the entire process, even if you're a great carpenter is like falling in Love again and again.
Sure you can get an ikea one, and it's functional, but life is too short for just "functional" right? We're in it for the ride, not counting the mileage thumbs up

@scuto, oh it's not even a joke, we've all quietly gasped when the BOM (Bill of Materials) quantity added up on Excel ... must be doing something right.

@goldi and synonymist

The Kickstarter campaign ended in December 2018, but we've received many many emails from people regarding availability, we've also sent individual mails to parties who inquired regarding pre-order and a newsletter.

My advice is to get in touch via mail here.

Here's an excerpt from the functionality:
synonymist
birdkid wrote:
@goldi and synonymist

The Kickstarter campaign ended in December 2018, but we've received many many emails from people regarding availability, we've also sent individual mails to parties who inquired regarding pre-order and a newsletter.

Thank you. It wasn't easy (resistance to VPN, certain browsers, etc.), but I managed to load the contact webpage there in full and submit the contact form. smile
birdkid
synonymist wrote:
birdkid wrote:
@goldi and synonymist

Thank you. It wasn't easy (resistance to VPN, certain browsers, etc.), but I managed to load the contact webpage there in full and submit the contact form. smile

Dear synonymist, thank you! Just replied to your mail!
Curious to hear about the technical issues regarding the website, the form integration 3rd Party Plugin (Contact Form 7 WP) we're using has some issues with IE and Mozilla browsers, which browser were you using?
synonymist
birdkid wrote:
synonymist wrote:
birdkid wrote:
@goldi and synonymist

Curious to hear about the technical issues regarding the website, the form integration 3rd Party Plugin (Contact Form 7 WP) we're using has some issues with IE and Mozilla browsers, which browser were you using?

Hello. My pleasure, and thank you for your email reply (we're on our way!)

The incompatibility I encountered was on Mac OS with 1. VPN regardless of browser, and 2. Mozilla without VPN, wherein the required EU opt-in checkbox was not visible, and so the form could not be submitted.

Separately: I am among those who thinks that Raven's UI would benefit from larger type. I see your design challenge, the space constraint. Not a typography expert, I think that between abbreviation (like "opto" already in use) and a slightly larger font that perhaps was also proportionally taller, readability could be improved.

Attached here is a mockup of where my Raven will live. cool
birdkid
synonymist wrote:
birdkid wrote:
synonymist wrote:
birdkid wrote:
@goldi and synonymist

Hello. My pleasure, and thank you for your email reply (we're on our way!)

The incompatibility I encountered was on Mac OS with 1. VPN regardless of browser, and 2. Mozilla without VPN, wherein the required EU opt-in checkbox was not visible, and so the form could not be submitted.

Separately: I am among those who thinks that Raven's UI would benefit from larger type. I see your design challenge, the space constraint. Not a typography expert, I think that between abbreviation (like "opto" already in use) and a slightly larger font that perhaps was also proportionally taller, readability could be improved.

Attached here is a mockup of where my Raven will live. cool

Thank you dear Synonymist, I will investigate the VPN issue as soon as I can, Mozilla has been known to cause some issues with that 3rd party plug, but it has been reliable in terms of spam filtering and keeping submitted data safe. But I appreciate the technical report very much and will run it by the backend team.

Regarding the typeface and legibility, the good news: it's been done thumbs up
I stood by my promise, regardless of aesthetic choices, the type point has been increased from the Kickstarter campaign prototype to the current panels:

scuto
birdkid wrote:
@scuto, oh it's not even a joke, we've all quietly gasped when the BOM (Bill of Materials) quantity added up on Excel ... must be doing something right.

I believed you about the 666 components, and for me it was funny you tied it into getting "help" from a demon-type-thing. While I'm not into numerology, myself, it certainly is fun when coincidences like the 666 BOM(b) happen! SlayerBadger!
cityz3n
birdkid wrote:

This looks so good...
chaosick
birdkid wrote:
Hey friends, sorry I just couldn't muster posting here so soon after Mr. McGrath's passing. We owe him so much for making this interaction between us possible. But I guess it's up to us to keep the torch lit and carry it.

First off, @chaossick:
It's a very rewarding process to be able to build a chair from scratch, the entire process, even if you're a great carpenter is like falling in Love again and again.
Sure you can get an ikea one, and it's functional, but life is too short for just "functional" right? We're in it for the ride, not counting the mileage thumbs up

@goldi and synonymist

Here's an excerpt from the functionality:

Absolutely! And agree with you about posting..very sad.
synonymist
birdkid wrote:

I stood by my promise, regardless of aesthetic choices, the type point has been increased from the Kickstarter campaign prototype to the current panels:

Wow! Thank you, birdkid. w00t The new panel layout makes better use of the available space. And the larger type is more readable.

Congratulations. I am late to the game. But it's good to see that Raven matured so quickly, in no small part due to your responsiveness to players' suggestions. thumbs up
birdkid
synonymist wrote:
birdkid wrote:

Wow! Thank you, birdkid. w00t The new panel layout makes better use of the available space. And the larger type is more readable.

Congratulations. I am late to the game. But it's good to see that Raven matured so quickly, in no small part due to your responsiveness to players' suggestions. thumbs up

Thank you!! w00t
Yes, the feedback was invaluable, there's always room to have a conversation, even with a clear language and approach to design.
I feel especially with the RAVEN it's equal part our and the people's contribution to making it possible. So, now it's time to let it out into the world! thumbs up
synonymist
birdkid wrote:
I feel especially with the RAVEN it's equal part our and the people's contribution to making it possible. So, now it's time to let it out into the world! thumbs up

Mike, FYI I just bought what must be one of the last few unsold examples of TheBateleur 42hp System. If all goes well, I should have it in one week.

Maybe secretly I had a completist's motive. But conciously I wanted to witness firsthand the evolution of the birdkids art. In the months before my RAVEN arrives, I will experience its ancestry. Thus my appreciation of its significance should be greater.

Also, I have reason to think that TheBateleur 42hp System will sound great and be fun to play. smile

Thanks to you and all the birdkids for your good work, the old and the new.
Jenseits
Excellent choice Synonymist!
It is a great system on its own and of course integrates perfectly with other gear smile

I didn‘t preorder Raven simply because i don‘t need more voices atm but i read all new info about it and am absolutely sure it will excell in quality and sound!

For me the Bateleur is a dream come true. Here‘s my mobile setup and i think you‘ll understand that i‘m so happy with it grin

synonymist
Jenseits wrote:
It is a great system on its own and of course integrates perfectly with other gear smile

I didn‘t preorder Raven simply because i don‘t need more voices atm but i read all new info about it and am absolutely sure it will excell in quality and sound!

For me the Bateleur is a dream come true. Here‘s my mobile setup and i think you‘ll understand that i‘m so happy with it grin

Hello Jenseits, and thank you. Although it seems that our criteria and workflow are quite different, soon we will have TheBateleur System in common. Your mobile setup is lovely and looks like sounding very good.
Dragonaut
Jenseits wrote:

Which AKGs are those? I'm digging the white...
brickman
https://www.akg.com/Headphones/Professional%20Headphones/K701.html?
Jenseits
I don‘t think i said something about my workflow and the picture doesn‘t show all gear and options i have wink
And my criteria is: do i need/want it? Can i afford it? Is built quality and sound good?
I don‘t think you‘re that different wink
birdkid
synonymist wrote:
birdkid wrote:

Mike, FYI I just bought what must be one of the last few unsold examples of TheBateleur System. If all goes well, I should have it in one week.

Maybe secretly I had a completist's motive. But conciously I wanted to witness firsthand the evolution of the birdkids art. In the months before my RAVEN arrives, I will experience its ancestry. Thus my appreciation of its significance should be greater.

Also, I have reason to think that TheBateleur System will sound great and be fun to play. smile

Oh wow, nice move thumbs up
There is very little systems outthere in circulation, we've stopped producing those and the last units will be available through our official webshop:

birdkids @ Big Cartel

@jenseits, lovely picture love Very glad to hear you're digging it!

The first RAVEN batch finished production last week, next week we're calibrating the units and the shipping begins SlayerBadger!

Inbetween some jams and begun with the patches:
birdkid
SB19 recap by the man himself, DivKid Ben thumbs up

We're shipping the first units next week w00t
synonymist
birdkid wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQuIoTgisU8

Mike, you are a deep guy. Good Luck to all the birdkids as you ship the first RAVENs!

Anyone interested in birdkids's recent work should see this video of a few days ago. Lovely scene and sounds:

birdkid
synonymist wrote:
birdkid wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQuIoTgisU8

Mike, you are a deep guy. Good Luck to all the birdkids as you ship the first RAVENs!

Anyone interested in birdkids's recent work should see this video of a few days ago. Lovely scene and sounds:

oops Thank you sir!

Yeah, that's our Oasis of Zen in the 15th district of Vienna.
We run on Coffee and cake, our Cholesterol levels reflect that. we're not worthy

In case people wanna keep track with the RAVEN vids, or still haven't decided on Panel Options, here's the playlist:

RAVEN playlist on YT
jakobprogsch
Jenseits wrote:
I don‘t think i said something about my workflow and the picture doesn‘t show all gear and options i have wink
And my criteria is: do i need/want it? Can i afford it? Is built quality and sound good?

Also: "Is it from Austria?" apparently grin
Jenseits
You overlooked the Doepfer Attenuverter from my home country grin

Although i‘m german i‘m buying austrian.
That says something!
No it doesn‘t - other than: endorphin.es and birdkids are building most excellent equipment.
Would also buy their stuff if it would be from: lets say: barcelona
synonymist
birdkid wrote:
synonymist wrote:

Mike, FYI I just bought what must be one of the last few unsold examples of TheBateleur 42hp System...

There is very little systems outthere in circulation, we've stopped producing those and the last units will be available through our official webshop:

birdkids @ Big Cartel

Yesterday I finally got a chance to retrieve my TheBateleur 42hp System package. Beauty. Thank you, birdkids.

Not surprisingly, this is every bit the preview and precursor that I wanted as I await my RAVEN. Excellent and aesthetic craft, a fine and probably unique filter, and a bold and clear VCO (pseudo sine wave and all). I like the function of the EG module very much, although its hidden UI (that is, features or states that are neither labeled nor self-documenting, and thus are not discoverable) denies it perfection. The VCA is quick; it and the mixer work well and sound good. The headphone amp sounds fine. After you learn their meaning from the manual, the various lights are effective indicators of state and function.

Though I have yet to learn all its pathways, already I find TheBateleur 42hp System to be an elegant, powerful, and fine-sounding synthesizer voice. Also it can make a lot of sound at once, especially when patched into a larger system. It is an excellent and fun instrument. Based on this experience, I am very glad that I ordered a RAVEN.

Here are two tracks; two versions of one patch featuring my TheBateleur 42hp System. The first one is short. The second is shorter. All sounds are made with TheBateleur 42hp System modulated by STO and by itself, except the hi-hat which is TheBateleur 42hp System noise via Rings, and the "distant melodic line". Session notes are at the tracks' webpages:

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/tumbler

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/tumbler-reprise
birdkid
synonymist wrote:
birdkid wrote:
synonymist wrote:

Mike, FYI I just bought what must be one of the last few unsold examples of TheBateleur System...

birdkids @ Big Cartel

Yesterday I finally got a chance to retrieve my TheBateleur System package. Beauty. Thank you, birdkids.

Not surprisingly, this is every bit the preview and precursor that I wanted as I await my RAVEN. Excellent and aesthetic craft, a fine and probably unique filter, and a bold and clear VCO (pseudo sine wave and all). I like the function of the EG module very much, although its hidden UI (that is, features or states that are neither labeled nor self-documenting, and thus are not discoverable) denies it perfection. The VCA is quick; it and the mixer work well and sound good. The headphone amp sounds fine. After you learn their meaning from the manual, the various lights are effective indicators of state and function.

Though I have yet to learn all its pathways, already I find TheBateleur System to be an elegant, powerful, and fine-sounding synthesizer voice. Also it can make a lot of sound at once, especially when patched into a larger system. It is an excellent and fun instrument. Based on this experience, I am very glad that I ordered a RAVEN.

Here are two tracks; two versions of one patch featuring my TheBateleur System. The first one is short. The second is shorter. All sounds are made with TheBateleur System modulated by STO and by itself, except the hi-hat which is TheBateleur System noise via Rings, and the "distant melodic line". Session notes are at the tracks' webpages:

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/tumbler

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/tumbler-reprise

Oh I love those Jams! we're not worthy
They definitely show some different approaches that f.e. I would never come up with when constructing a patch being a melody-fascist of sorts, always proves that no matter how you plan out an instrument, in the artists hands it will get a life of its own and facets we couldn't even dream up.

For those curious, we've set up a playlist of sounds submitted to us for TheBateleur line: Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat. TheBateleur Playlist on SoundCloud Cat Girl Synth

Cannot thank you enough for the feedback, review and fair points presented regarding the system, dear synonymist!

I agree regarding the Envelope Generator, the possible depth is not perceivable through the UI, nor intuitive without a proper description.
I did put in hours constructing patches and documenting them to expand on the systems possibilities:
Patch Collection TB42hp System

But it's always a compromise when trying to condense functionality into a very limited space, I feel we've succeeded in creating more value than meets the eye, but it comes at a cost of having to take the plunge before realizing it's there. Fair point and one that we would be solving in a different manner in the year 2019, hence decisions in the RAVEN's UI which people will benefit as a trickle-down effect from previous experiences.

Having said that, I believe the 42hp System is a timeless instrument, with it's own limitations vis-a-vis spatial constraints, but I think we can agree it delivers on the sound spectrum Mr. Green
synonymist
birdkid wrote:

Oh I love those Jams! we're not worthy
They definitely show some different approaches that f.e. I would never come up with when constructing a patch being a melody-fascist of sorts, always proves that no matter how you plan out an instrument, in the artists hands it will get a life of its own and facets we couldn't even dream up.

For those curious, we've set up a playlist of sounds submitted to us for TheBateleur line: Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat. TheBateleur Playlist on SoundCloud Cat Girl Synth

Cannot thank you enough for the feedback, review and fair points presented regarding the system, dear synonymist!

I agree regarding the Envelope Generator, the possible depth is not perceivable through the UI, nor intuitive without a proper description.
I did put in hours constructing patches and documenting them to expand on the systems possibilities:
Patch Collection TB42hp System

But it's always a compromise when trying to condense functionality into a very limited space, I feel we've succeeded in creating more value than meets the eye, but it comes at a cost of having to take the plunge before realizing it's there. Fair point and one that we would be solving in a different manner in the year 2019, hence decisions in the RAVEN's UI which people will benefit as a trickle-down effect from previous experiences.

Having said that, I believe the 42hp System is a timeless instrument, with it's own limitations vis-a-vis spatial constraints, but I think we can agree it delivers on the sound spectrum Mr. Green

Thank you, Mike. It was my pleasure to post. And hey!, now I'm in a birdkids playlist. cool

Also: Sorry for omitting "42hp" from my references to the System. I remedied that wherever I could.

"a melody-fascist of sorts"... hihi It's all good. How exciting and rewarding it must be for instrument makers to hear what music others create with their inventions. Good for you and all the birdkids.
synonymist
While we await the sound of new RAVENs in the wild, here is more of The Bateleur 42hp System.

In this track it is the only sound source, modulated audio rate by Tš-L and itself, and with CV by others. The 42hp System is patched into a larger case. Session notes are at the track's webpage:

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/des-bateleurs-qui-dansent

P.S. - I meant to do something pretty and melodic... Maybe next time!
j_dowe
synonymist wrote:
While we await the sound of new RAVENS in the wild, here is more of The Bateleur 42hp System.

love it! thumbs up
synonymist
j_dowe wrote:
synonymist wrote:
While we await the sound of new RAVENS in the wild, here is more of The Bateleur 42hp System.

love it! thumbs up

Thank you very much. This is fun!
birdkid
j_dowe wrote:
synonymist wrote:

love it! thumbs up

Second that! thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

RAVEN in the wild you say?

1st batch shipping tomorrow It's peanut butter jelly time!
synonymist
birdkid wrote:
j_dowe wrote:
synonymist wrote:

love it! thumbs up

Second that! thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

Thank you! This is fun!

birdkid wrote:
RAVEN in the wild you say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgIeJW1Ajho

Excellent job, Mike. This birdkids version is sweeter-sounding than the original. More gentle. Anyway, your modules sound good, man. Mr. Green

birdkid wrote:

Congratulations to birdkids and all the soon to be RAVEN owners! w00t
whinger
birdkid wrote:

Congratulations, that's awesome news!!!
birdkid
whinger wrote:
birdkid wrote:

Congratulations, that's awesome news!!!

Thank you dear whinger smile

It's been a crazy, wild, bonkers ride, but we made it... The RAVEN took flight, the 1st batch is fully dispatched. The 2nd batch well on the way to production and let's not forget all the benefits of digging extra-deep and upgrading so many features post campaign success.
And now, for those who didn't get a chance to participate, here's your time to shine.
RAVEN is finally available for PRE-ORDER

-----------
RAVEN is set for a minimum MSRP of 1149,- €
We will not make it available to external retail anytime before Q2-2020
As with any birdkids product, there is a lifetime warranty of service tied to the original buyer, to avoid 2nd hand mark-up for purchases made well below MSRP during the campaign and discourage ridiculous auction prices.
As always, we have you covered, don't hesitate and get yours straight from the workshop in Vienna, factory calibrated and Q.C.'ed Cat Girl Synth
foliephonics
Got mine this morning. Got a new rack for it. Loads of fun ahead of me !

Just had a few minutes to test it. Had a hard time getting away.
I'm very happy !
It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time!
birdkid
foliephonics wrote:
Got mine this morning. Got a new rack for it. Loads of fun ahead of me !

Just had a few minutes to test it. Had a hard time getting away.
I'm very happy !
It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time!

YAAAAAY! It's peanut butter jelly time! Rockin' Banana! nanners
ENJOY! applause
birdkid
For those who might've missed out on our Newsletter and/or Kickstarter campaign updates:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/birdkids/raven-a-100-analog-synth esizer-voice-made-in-austr/posts/2550211

It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners
synonymist
birdkid wrote:
For those who might've missed out on our Newsletter and/or Kickstarter campaign updates:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/birdkids/raven-a-100-analog-synth esizer-voice-made-in-austr/posts/2550211

And, as if that weren't cool enough... Now there is an updated silver RAVEN panel on Modulargrid! w00t

birdkid
synonymist wrote:
birdkid wrote:

And, as if that weren't cool enough... Now there is an updated silver RAVEN panel on Modulargrid! w00t

Yaaay!! I took the liberty of updating the listing on ModularGrid for the natural anodized option.

The initial listing was a (I´m sure very well meant) copy/paste from our December 2018 Kickstarter listing, but I thought instead of requesting a delete and discrediting, we can just bring it up to speed and approve.

Here the Natural Anodized option in a rack courtesy of the man himself, Maarten Vos (check his work, it´s a class of its own!):

Maarten Vos on Instagram
synonymist
synonymist wrote:
While we await the sound of new RAVENs in the wild, here is more of The Bateleur 42hp System.

In this track it is the only sound source, modulated audio rate by Tš-L and itself, and with CV by others. The 42hp System is patched into a larger case. Session notes are at the track's webpage...

Here is a new piece in which basically it's the same deal.

However, Tš-L does only a kick drum. The Bateleur 42hp System is the source of all other sounds, and it is not audio rate modulated by any other module.

This time I got further into the birdkids EG module. Tiny yet powerful (if oblique, as has been discussed) and fun; good in cross-patching with another system:

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/dawdle
birdkid
synonymist wrote:
synonymist wrote:

In this track it is the only sound source, modulated audio rate by Tš-L and itself, and with CV by others. The 42hp System is patched into a larger case. Session notes are at the track's webpage...

However, Tš-L does only a kick drum. The Bateleur 42hp System is the source of all other sounds, and it is not audio rate modulated by any other module.

This time I got further into the birdkids EG module. Tiny yet powerful (if oblique, as has been discussed) and fun; good in cross-patching with another system:

I love this one, so much growwwl also the setup on the SC page. Very different approach. I'm curious how the RAVEN would integrate into the setup, mystery should be solved soon smile

Currently prepping a small video-demo rig myself:

Gonna try a stream on fb later tonight > https://www.facebook.com/Birdkids
synonymist
birdkid wrote:
synonymist wrote:
synonymist wrote:

I love this one, so much growwwl

Thank you, Mike!

I just re-equalized the master. There was too much self-indulgent low end. Now the low end is softer and tighter, and there is a touch more vocal resonance in the growl.

birdkid wrote:
also the setup on the SC page. Very different approach. I'm curious how the RAVEN would integrate into the setup, mystery should be solved soon smile

That is my main case among three of that size. At first my RAVEN will live in a smaller fourth case, probably accompanied by a triple wavefolder, ring modulator, and VC ADSR, all analog.

RAVEN will integrate nicely with all my cases. grin

birdkid wrote:

Currently prepping a small video-demo rig myself:

Gonna try a stream on fb later tonight > https://www.facebook.com/Birdkids

Cool and interesting. In addition to RAVEN I see two EG and one Bateleur modules, which I understand. What's different is the three power/MIDI modules. Three! Each of them has power and MIDI connected. One is passing pitch and gate, another is passing pitch. Hmmm...
j_dowe
synonymist wrote:

Beautiful sounding synonymist. Any details on how the birdkids EG differs from other ADSRs? i have the Bateleur, Mixer, Expander, but not the EG. I have another ADSR (System X Envelope by Frequency Central) and Make Noise EGs, but am always wondering if I'm missing part of the birdkids magic.
synonymist
j_dowe wrote:
synonymist wrote:

Beautiful sounding synonymist. Any details on how the birdkids EG differs from other ADSRs? i have the Bateleur, Mixer, Expander, but not the EG. I have another ADSR (System X Envelope by Frequency Central) and Make Noise EGs, but am always wondering if I'm missing part of the birdkids magic.

Thank you very much, j_dowe.

Although I never played the System X Envelope, I do have Function and Maths. Also, in addition to other EGs or FGs I ever played, I have for comparison Black Dual EG/LFO, VC ADSR, Cèis, o_C, and Double Andore Mark II.

In my estimation what makes the birdkids EG "special" is its envelope types; which birdkids calls "variable stage-curvature" in its documentation, and the control for which is labeled "mode" on the module. Let's use "mode" for now. smile

My brief experience with the module tells me that birdkids carefully tuned the modes and other parameters of their EG to be useful and (if I may use the term) musical throughout the range of their intersections.

The basic design of the birdkids EG follows the East Coast tradition of ADSR-type envelopes. But from that basis it departs in two ways: 1. the variety of envelope modes, which includes ones that hold and/or loop, and 2. the range of fixed envelope length settings, which is labeled "time" on the module.

Though not unprecedented, the set of envelope modes is well considered. The modes are also useful; both used alone or with other EGs or FGs. My guess is that the decision to use fixed envelope length settings was an adaptation to the tiny physical size of the module.

For someone who doesn't need their ADSR to be voltage controllable (for that I have VC ADSR, Cèis, and o_C), birdkids EG is a powerful little package that I think has a great feel in use. As has been said, its only downside is that the nature of and access to some of the modes are nearly undiscoverable without the documentation.

Here are the birdkids EG module envelope mode and time settings. Also (without permission, so I hope it's okay), attached here is the specs document for TheBateleur 42hp System, that includes documentation of the EG:

ADSR (default)
ADSR loop-on-gate
ADR loop
AHDSR
AHDSR loop-on-gate
AHDR

ATTACK
Short (default): 0.002s - 0.3s
Mid: 0.005s - 2s
Long: 0.5s - 30s
Attack stage length control in ADSR mode(s), Attack and Decay (Inverse Attack) stages length control combined in AHDSR mode(s)

DECAY
Short (default): 0.002s - 0.6s
Mid: 0.005s - 5s
Long: 0.5s - 30s
Decay stage length control in ADSR mode(s), Hold stage length control in AHDSR mode(s)

SUSTAIN
0V - 10V
Sustain stage amplitude control

RELEASE
Short (default): 0.01s - 2.5s
Mid: 0.05s - 10s
Long: 1s - 30s
Release stage length control
j_dowe
Such great information synonymist! That gives me a good view of how it affects the shape & sound. I can definitely see it has some thoughtful design put into it, which I expect from birdkids. Hopefully I can find one somewhere, since I've only seen it sold w/ the 42hp system (I could be wrong about that).

Many thanks!

thumbs up
synonymist
j_dowe wrote:
Such great information synonymist! That gives me a good view of how it affects the shape & sound. I can definitely see it has some thoughtful design put into it, which I expect from birdkids. Hopefully I can find one somewhere, since I've only seen it sold w/ the 42hp system (I could be wrong about that).

Many thanks!

thumbs up

You are quite welcome. I'm glad that was helpful. Hopefully it was also at least mostly accurate. Mr. Green

Probably you are right about the availability of the EG module. I think that you should ask birdkids if you can buy the EG directly from them.
birdkid
synonymist wrote:
j_dowe wrote:

Many thanks!

thumbs up

You are quite welcome. I'm glad that was helpful. Hopefully it was also at least mostly accurate. Mr. Green

Probably you are right about the availability of the EG module. I think that you should ask birdkids if you can buy the EG directly from them.

At least mostly accurate? Sir that was the best, most accurate, most comprehensive description I've ever heard of the EG. woah

Wish I had that degree of lucidity.

Regarding availability, most of them are gone afaik.. you might find the odd Envelope at one of our dealers. But if there is actual interest, I mean like a group buy of 10, I can inquire at our distribution if they have some stock by chance.
Do let me know, TheBateleur series is officially discontinued from production as you've already heard, and we're not planning any envelopes anytime soon as the full focus is on the RAVEN at the moment Dead Banana

For those not on FB, here's a mediocre quality (360p) reupload on YouTube:
j_dowe
birdkid wrote:

Regarding availability, most of them are gone afaik.. you might find the odd Envelope at one of our dealers. But if there is actual interest, I mean like a group buy of 10, I can inquire at our distribution if they have some stock by chance.

I'm interested, but I don't think we'll get a group buy up to 10... so I'll just keep my eyes out for one.
synonymist
birdkid wrote:
synonymist wrote:
j_dowe wrote:

Many thanks!

thumbs up

At least mostly accurate? Sir that was the best, most accurate, most comprehensive description I've ever heard of the EG. woah

Wish I had that degree of lucidity...

You are too kind, Sir. The narrative part, I thought it through, speaking it aloud to myself first. Then I just typed what I said. The specs part, I culled from your documentation, of course. wink

birdkid wrote:
For those not on FB, here's a mediocre quality (360p) reupload on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtEFxdtXF3w

As someone who does not use FB, and whose default web browser config blocks a lot of FB content, I appreciate this. Even with its 360p handicap, the video can't hide what a fine audio synthesizer RAVEN is. Man, when finally I get mine, I am going to play the freq. out of it. smile

Edit: I forgot to say that upon watching the video I saw the purpose of the multiple power/MIDI modules. Power requirements aside, each power/MIDI handles one MIDI channel; thus (notably) each channel's pitch values can be used as CV by a different VCO.
birdkid
synonymist wrote:
birdkid wrote:
synonymist wrote:
j_dowe wrote:

Many thanks!

thumbs up

Wish I had that degree of lucidity...

You are too kind, Sir. The narrative part, I thought it through, speaking it aloud to myself first. Then I just typed what I said. The specs part, I culled from your documentation, of course. wink

birdkid wrote:
For those not on FB, here's a mediocre quality (360p) reupload on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtEFxdtXF3w

As someone who does not use FB, and whose default web browser config blocks a lot of FB content, I appreciate this. Even with its 360p handicap, the video can't hide what a fine audio synthesizer RAVEN is. Man, when finally I get mine, I am going to play the freq. out of it. smile

Edit: I forgot to say that upon watching the video I saw the purpose of the multiple power/MIDI modules. Power requirements aside, each power/MIDI handles one MIDI channel; thus (notably) each channel's pitch values can be used as CV by a different VCO.

Yes, I'm aware that in most real-world cases people would try to consolidate, let alone rarely buy multiple units of the same module, but for our rig, having the entire system run on Power / MIDIs made a lot of sense.

In actuality a single Power / MIDI would suffice to power this combo, but having three was necessary to supply multiple 1v/oct and modulation sources for future patches.

Here's stream nr. 02:
birdkid
j_dowe wrote:
birdkid wrote:

I'm interested, but I don't think we'll get a group buy up to 10... so I'll just keep my eyes out for one.

Absolutely, do keep an eye out for 2nd hand sales, it's a digital module, so it either works fully or not at all Mr. Green

And for those who are still on the fence regarding RAVEN & something to go with it, here's a bundle we've created to be found here:
birdkid
For those not on social media, we've uploaded and published the nearly complete Technical Definitions of RAVEN:

Technical Definitions PDF

THD and various other measurements are still to be published...
birdkid
The Twins in action:

And some CC to CV Shenanigans:
synonymist
birdkid wrote:
For those not on social media,

That'd be me. Mr. Green

birdkid wrote:
we've uploaded and published the nearly complete Technical Definitions of RAVEN:

Technical Definitions PDF

THD and various other measurements are still to be published...

Beautiful, Mike. Thank you!
birdkid
synonymist wrote:

Beautiful, Mike. Thank you!

My pleasure, there's more info coming in soon on measurements Cat Girl Synth

R&UB chasing the rainbow:
birdkid

Missed your chance at pre-ordering RAVEN?
Been pondering switching from TheBateleur line?
We've got something just for you!

An exclusive, time-limited Value Trade In offer!
3 easy steps to your RAVEN.

Find out all about it here: https://birdkids.org/raven-tradein/

• Offer runs from 07.08.2019 - 15.08.2019.
One Trade-In per person.
Either MKI/MKII of the VCO is eligible.
Either 6HP / 8HP Expander is eligible.
• The base value of your unit(s) does not depend on its physical state!
HBCoffin
Any updates on the next batch?
birdkid
HBCoffin wrote:

Dear HBCoffin, sorry for the late reply, we are in the process of moving to a new space with the core design/visualisation team - the 2nd batch is nearing the end of production and soon we'll be entering calibration, most likely the first units will be shipped by the end of the month. Of course all pre-orders and backers will be notified in time and shipping address confirmed before dispatch and tracking as usual. I'll be back to normal customer support operations latest next week, if there are any emails I haven't replied to yet, it's just a matter of days and I apologize for any delay in communication oops
HBCoffin
birdkid wrote:
HBCoffin wrote:

Dear HBCoffin, sorry for the late reply, we are in the process of moving to a new space with the core design/visualisation team - the 2nd batch is nearing the end of production and soon we'll be entering calibration, most likely the first units will be shipped by the end of the month. Of course all pre-orders and backers will be notified in time and shipping address confirmed before dispatch and tracking as usual. I'll be back to normal customer support operations latest next week, if there are any emails I haven't replied to yet, it's just a matter of days and I apologize for any delay in communication oops

Thanks for the update! thumbs up
MikeLeeBirds

What a beauty!
I just did some basic patching and love the sound.

Question: the raw oscillators sound thick, lush and loud. Beautiful!
After going through the filter the volume drops by about half (with cutoff at 100%/fully open, no resonance and no modulation). I say about half because that’s what it feels like. I don’t have the equipment to measure the actual difference.
Going straight into the VCA (bypassing the filter) the volume does not drop.
Is that normal?

birdkid, should I record an audio example and send it to you?
birdkid
MikeLeeBirds wrote:

What a beauty!
I just did some basic patching and love the sound.

Question: the raw oscillators sound thick, lush and loud. Beautiful!
After going through the filter the volume drops by about half (with cutoff at 100%/fully open, no resonance and no modulation). I say about half because that’s what it feels like. I don’t have the equipment to measure the actual difference.
Going straight into the VCA (bypassing the filter) the volume does not drop.
Is that normal?

birdkid, should I record an audio example and send it to you?

Dear MikeLeeBirds, first of all, thank you so much for taking the time to test RAVEN thumbs up
To give you a proper reply, I'm missing a few data points to evaluate the patch. Would you be able to post a snapshot, or maybe sketch it out.
There is a patch-sheet available on our website here.

Generally speaking, we could start by looking at the signal flow diagram.

There's a rather large number of scenarios how a waveform could end of in the VCF section.
i.e.

did it go through the CROSSFADEER section first?
    If so, are multiple waveforms being summed in the CROSSFADER?
    If so, what are their amounts? CF position?
    Did the CROSSFADER section go directly into the VCF, if so, what's the vcf in value?
    If so, does the VCF go in to the VCA?
    If so, which VCA mode is on?

To have a grasp on the technical side of things, we might wanna consult the specs.

I would say, from personal experience and having worked with other users in patch scenarios, the biggest freedom lies in the three "nodes" CF input, VCF input, VCA input that can make a world of difference in regards to saturation, character and perception.

But therein lies the necessity to spend some time with the concept of gain-staging within those nodes.
Once you have a firm grasp, there's an infinite amount of sweet spots.
MikeLeeBirds
Oh boy.. I am stupid. So there’s a separate VCF input control!
Dang.. in my enthusiasm I totally overlooked that or mistook it for a CV control (which is, of course, right next to it).

So I turned it up and all is good.

Mike, thanks so much for your prompt and detailed reaction! It did make me look at Raven with fresh eyes (filter gainstaiging..) and all of a sudden I saw the knob.

Sorry for your troubles!!

Last night when I wrote my post I had a whole day of work behind me and I guess my brain just didn’t function properly.
HBCoffin
Any news on the next batch? seriously, i just don't get it
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 8