MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mini Wave Built and Blogged
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Mini Wave Built and Blogged
Kwote
http://kwotemusic.blogspot.com/2008/11/wiard-mini-wave-blacet-research -2090.html

Guinness ftw!
criticalmonkey
good for you - I was just listening to the disc you left me, catching up on months of backlog - good stuff - got me thinking about Cababret Voltaire and shit from days long past

now you just have to show me what is so cool about the miniwave - as I told you last we met - i just didn't get it or something was whacked with me
dkcg
Congrats!

Does Stretta sell those?! I never read anything about those, I must have missed it. Lots of scales? What's the bonus with it?

Nice module eh? hyper
Kwote
criticalmonkey wrote:
good for you - I was just listening to the disc you left me, catching up on months of backlog - good stuff - got me thinking about Cababret Voltaire and shit from days long past

now you just have to show me what is so cool about the miniwave - as I told you last we met - i just didn't get it or something was whacked with me

heh. far from me to tell you, but so far i really like the scale quantizer. my vid in the blog kinda shows it off.

here's what got me hyped:

"Turn your Miniwave into a flexible scale quantizer. Classical modes, melodic & harmonic minors, major/minor pentatonics, Lydian b7, Phrygian n3 in every key. Simply page to another bank to transpose a static melodic pattern to another key. Page to another 'wave' for modal transposition. Also includes all whole tone scales, chromatic quantitization and several banks of walking melodic patterns relative to the key of C aeolian. How is this possible? Some say I employed a group of ancient Chinese virgins to painstakingly enter each of the 65536 values in this ROM and several went blind in the process. I hope you all appreciate their sacrifices."

anyway, once you get your studio sorted i'll bring it over and you can really put it through the motions to figure once and for all whether you want one or not.

oh and dkcg, i linked it in the blog but here it is again:

http://www.hylander.com/mdroms.html

Stretta made them but passed on selling duties to David Hylander. David's a really great guy and easy to deal with. Hit him up if any of the roms interest you.
Muff Wiggler
nice work Kwote, and congrats on the miniwave!

that scale quantizer is essential, amazing little piece of tech
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
nice work Kwote, and congrats on the miniwave!

that scale quantizer is essential, amazing little piece of tech

werd life cuzzo.

dkcg
Thanks for the link, I think I might have seen that page long ago, way before the miniwave was a glimmer in my eye. But crap...makes me want a Miniwave for each pair of PROMs. confused
felix
Thanks for blogging the build process. I'll be reading along some saturday in the near future. Mine is still sitting in its box on the floor of my office.
scozbor
nice work kwote!

looks like a pretty straightforward build (except for those pesky LEDS)

will be ordering one soon Mr. Green
johnnymad
scozbor wrote:
nice work kwote!

looks like a pretty straightforward build (except for those pesky LEDS)

will be ordering one soon Mr. Green

the leds aren't that bad actually. they come pre-bent to a 90 degree angle, which makes them much easier to align. i built a miniwave a while back and had no problems with the leds.
Kwote
yeah don't worry about the led's. just follow my tip for alignment and you'll be alright. to reiterate here in the thread what i did was pop in a pot without soldering(fits snug and stays right where you need it to). then just push in each led as close to the board as you can. then before soldering each led take the faceplate and fit it on. if the led and the pot fit with the faceplate flush to the edge of the pcb you're in business.

i did this each time before and after soldering the first couple led's. then i got impatient and popped in the last 4 or 5 all at once and followed the same procedure. one of the led's got a little scraped as i was fitting the panel but nothing you'd really notice unless you were up close.

actually this was my favorite build out of all the blacet kits i've done so far. i highly recommend this one.
Kwote
Just have to add on to this –

Spent a couple hours last night on the MW. Scanned through every single waveform driven by the saw and the shit was deep. But even more fun and great sounding was sending in a saw lfo for complex modulations. I was FM’ing the VCO and sweeping the filter. Unreal! Love it. I also spent way more time with the Quantizer Rom and the thing is worth it’s weight in gold.

The biggest plus is sweeping through the Banks and Waves. The best cv's for this being the Noisering and the Joysticks from the 310. Goddamn you can get such crazy sweeping with those joysticks!

I can’t wait to build another!!! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! hyper hyper hyper
parasitk
Would you say this is a good early build, or something to wait on until getting a few other Blacet modules under your belt?
dkcg
If you're used to soldering, jump right in. It seemed no more complicated than the Paia kits. Building the miniwave has me thinking about more kit building again. The euro conversion kit is a little tricky, a couple of the panel parts are not in the same spot on the planB panel.

I always get nervous with diodes and chips on the board, Blacet uses chip holders, so no chance of blowing a chip while soldering. smile

in difficulty, on a scale of 1-5, I would say it's about a 3 or 3.5?
Kwote
I wouldn’t rate it that high. But it’s easier for me to judge on a scale of 1-10. maybe a 4 out of 10. I say this though coming from someone who’s built 4 modules prior to this one. And I’m leaving room for other builds that’ll go on the higher scale due to harder wiring schemes.

All in all based on my experience level I’d say it’s more a matter of time consumption than hardship.

My first build was the Blacet Dual Linear VCA. I'd always recommend one of their half space modules if you're just starting out.
parasitk
Sweet, thanks! I'm not used to soldering, but I will be soon razz
dkcg
Kwote wrote:
I wouldn’t rate it that high. But it’s easier for me to judge on a scale of 1-10. maybe a 4 out of 10. I say this though coming from someone who’s built 4 modules prior to this one. And I’m leaving room for other builds that’ll go on the higher scale due to harder wiring schemes.

All in all based on my experience level I’d say it’s more a matter of time consumption than hardship.

My first build was the Blacet Dual Linear VCA. I'd always recommend one of their half space modules if you're just starting out.

My first build of any noise generator was the Weird Sound Generator, that gave me confidence to build a Paia theremin (which is kind of a weak design, mine stopped working unexplicably), and a Paia 9700s. If you're new to soldering, might start with some tiny crappy kit, or making some multiples.

It's not too bad, once you get the solder confidence. The pain is if you solder something in the wrong spot and have to remove it, especially ICs and resistor networks, learned my lesson, actually, I had one of the resistor networks soldered on backward in my miniwave, desoldering it was a HUGE pain in the ass. Luckily, I didn't fuck anything up and it powered on the first try. grin
Kwote
yeah, that's why i always make sure to be very meticulous about id'ing parts and placement before i solder anything. taking it slow is the only way for me.

i have dreams of being so good i can rush through but then i think, "what's the hurry?"
Kwote
kinda unnecessary to mention since it's in the manual but i ran my turntable through the miniwave tonight and i gotta say.. the distortion it produces is fuckin MINDBLOWING!! hyper

i'm so happy about this shit as i've needed a proper distortion setup for ages.

now i'm thinking i need 3 miniwaves. one for altering waves/modulation, another for quantize duties and one for distortion.

of course i could easily go off in other directions and be fine but having 3 wouldn't be such a bad thing now would it? of course not hihi
johnnymad
the distortion it produces is awesome. i've run my bass through it a couple of times and i'm pretty sure no distortion pedal could create those tones. SlayerBadger!
Kwote
johnnymad wrote:
the distortion it produces is awesome. i've run my bass through it a couple of times and i'm pretty sure no distortion pedal could create those tones. SlayerBadger!

oh yeah!! plus no typical distortion unit is gonna have cv control!

i was sweeping the waves with the noisering, rate at about 9:30, ext rate at 8 with change and chance FCW for some nice random sweeping.

sounds so ill love hyper love
Kwote
final chapter on last MW build, part deux here:

http://kwotemusic.blogspot.com/2008/11/retro-synth-ppg-mini-rom-instal lation.html
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1