MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Tokyo Tape Music Center / Buchla 100 Series clones
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Tokyo Tape Music Center / Buchla 100 Series clones
slumberjack
...are looking rad.

Any infos on those?

website
uuav
Just saw them too, went on the site directly clicked on the kits, out of stock...
are the kits already out of stock or not yet in stock ?
pines
These look great! I have not seen them before.
huffnPuff
Hey OP can you please fix two typos in the thread topic? The words Tokyo and Buchla are misspelled, when you look for them this thread doesn't come up.

Thanks. thumbs up
breadman
These came out of nowhere. Must build!!!
peripatitis
There were some demos on the dual saw-sine oscillator that seemed interesting. However I found the sine to be anything but that. Of course this might be how the orginals were, but for my use (fm modulators) that sine kind of killed it.
TemplarK
peripatitis wrote:
There were some demos on the dual saw-sine oscillator that seemed interesting. However I found the sine to be anything but that. Of course this might be how the orginals were, but for my use (fm modulators) that sine kind of killed it.

Killed it in a good way or bad as a modulator?
breadman
TemplarK wrote:
peripatitis wrote:

Sounds like they mean it in a bad way but it's hard to tell. The FM stuff on the 158's Modulargrid page sounds quite nice to me! Maybe too much of a departure from Dixie/Rubicon sounds for some though.
peripatitis
TemplarK wrote:
peripatitis wrote:

In a negative way for my very specific application needs (fm-ing a couple of theu-zero oscillators). I haven't tried it up close but in the demos it is clear this is not a clean sine.
Besides that it looks like a very nice module and the non-oscillating mode (if I understand this correctly) is a very nice feature!
slumberjack
huffnPuff wrote:
Hey OP can you please fix two typos in the thread topic? The words Tokyo and Buchla are misspelled, when you look for them this thread doesn't come up.

Thanks. thumbs up

...i'm known for bad grammar, but please help me out here, i cannot see any wrong letters.

help
huffnPuff
slumberjack wrote:
huffnPuff wrote:

Thanks. thumbs up

...i'm known for bad grammar, but please help me out here, i cannot see any wrong letters.

help

I think someone fixed it for you... Ghost

All is good mate. thumbs up
xenus_dad
Is anything known about how these might compare to the Catalyst Audio Buchla 100 series, particularly in terms of sound and component choice?
luchog
They sounded pretty good to me. Be interesting to see how they stack up against the Catalyst Audio clones.
slumberjack
what attracts me is that the panels seem to fit better visually the the catalyst line. i know it's a bit superficial but i'm in for a dedicated row (or two) of one manufactorer and i like it to look well planed with the panel design, knob layout etc...
joey
I noticed the Tokyo oscillators don't track 1v/Oct. Do the catalyst audio ones?
darcmorcel
From what I understand, you have to use the 156M cv processor along with the 158 to work with 1v/oct.
The Catalyst Audio or Tokyo 158 do not tracks 1v/oct, just like the original.
syrinx
peripatitis wrote:

thanx, very interesting.
Ceres
Since the originals didn’t track, it wouldn’t be much of a clone if it did track. I suspect if tracking and proper intonation is important than 100 series Buchla might not be the best choice.
slumberjack
Ceres wrote:
I suspect if tracking and proper intonation is important than 100 series Buchla might not be the best choice.

it's more like Animal!
coolshirtdotjpg
peripatitis wrote:
TemplarK wrote:
peripatitis wrote:

In a negative way for my very specific application needs (fm-ing a couple of theu-zero oscillators). I haven't tried it up close but in the demos it is clear this is not a clean sine.
Besides that it looks like a very nice module and the non-oscillating mode (if I understand this correctly) is a very nice feature!

No disrespect, but what were you thinking it was going to be? The entire reason people like the buchla 100 series is the quirky sound. It's like complaining that a minimoog doesn't sound like a DX7.
EPTC
xenus_dad wrote:
Is anything known about how these might compare to the Catalyst Audio Buchla 100 series, particularly in terms of sound and component choice?

More specifically, does anyone know anything about the Tokyo company? Are these direct bootleg clones of the Catalyst clones? (echo echo?)

Just curious. They look very similar, which I know is somewhat unavoidable given the endeavor. But didn't Catalyst reconfigure things somewhat into Eurorack voltage? Correct me if wrong.

I mean even the sites are similar in presentation:
http://tokyo-tape-music-center.xyz/
https://www.catalystaudio.com/
peripatitis
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
peripatitis wrote:
TemplarK wrote:
peripatitis wrote:

No disrespect, but what were you thinking it was going to be? The entire reason people like the buchla 100 series is the quirky sound. It's like complaining that a minimoog doesn't sound like a DX7.

well I was never into the iconic instruments and their sound peculiarities. You could say i am not very proficient in the history of these instruments, so when I read dual sine/saw I take it literary smile
But you know a sine is a sine, and to a reasonable extend you can expect some deviation (to give the filter something to bite, etc) but this sounded way far from that.
synonymist
darcmorcel wrote:
From what I understand, you have to use the 156M cv processor along with the 158 to work with 1v/oct.
The Catalyst Audio or Tokyo 158 do not tracks 1v/oct, just like the original.

Hello. Unwilling to wait longer for new stock of the Catalyst Audio modules to become available, I just ordered a Model 158 from Tokyo. If it arrives, I will report here. smile

For what online video demos are worth, in my comparison of the sonic character and behavior of the two versions, listening to video demos of both I found them to be similarly raw and unruly sounding.

Is either exactly true to the original? Is one more true? I don't know. The last time I played a Buchla synth was in 1978 or 79.

But these Eurorack interpretations sound good enough to me. And the Tokyo one seems to me to have been gunning for the Catalyst one, and to have succeeded well enough at a lower street price.

For 1v/oct conversion I will try my disting mk4. If that doesn't work, I will look for another solution smaller in size than the Model 156M.
synonymist
synonymist wrote:

Is either exactly true to the original? Is one more true? I don't know. The last time I played a Buchla synth was in 1978 or 79.

After posting that, I realized that the Buchla I played back then was a 200 Series. Since it was the only Buchla synth I ever played, I could not know the sound of an original 100 Series based on my own experience of playing one.

Still... I'll take whatever I can get now. smile
mritenburg
synonymist wrote:
I could not know the sound of an original 100 Series based on my own experience of playing one.

Still... I'll take whatever I can get now. :)

If you want to hear a Buchla 100 in action, listen to a good, high resolution copy of "Silver Apples of the Moon" by Morton Subotnick. The entire album was composed using only the Buchla 100.

A few of his other albums are also composed using only the Buchla 100

"Wild Bull" is another good one by Subotnick.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3