MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Help with patching ideas for minimal house/techno
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Help with patching ideas for minimal house/techno
boombipbass
Dear muffwigglers,

I am still a beginner with modular and I was looking for some help with patching ideas.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_749970.jpg

This is my rack, I also have a Metropolis VST(The M-185)
and a Beatstep. I work in Ableton and do the beats with ableton and sync with Beatstep to the clock divider(unfortunately the screenshot doesnt show that one but its there)

I like wiggly wobbly basslines but I'd also like to know how to create stuff like this for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wVvN16mvT4

I hope you could help me, thanks!

Best L
boombipbass
Also, and I know this is a stupid question, but is there something missing in my rack which would be rather essential? I tried to have enough VCAs, attenuaters etc. but maybe I am missing out on something?

I don't need drum modules since I do that in Ableton(and Peaks could give some drums) and I thought a sequencer wouldnt be required since I have the beatstep.

Maybe I could also implement a sequencer via the Expert sleeper ES-8? Wouldnt know how though in Ableton, I do have Silentway but I am not really understanding it.

Thanks for the help!
Agawell
maybe this should be in the eurorack forum

but anyway I'd break it down into little chunks

can you sequence a bassline from the beatstep?

is it in time with ableton?

can you record it? hint es8 should show up as a soundcard in daw

can you modulate it?

is the modulation in synch?

can you modulate the modulation?

can you process the bassline through an effects module?

can you get the audio from daw into the modular? (es8 again)

can you mix it with the bassline and effect them both together?

can you modulate the effects?

can you record it still?

want a more complex sound?

add another voice or 2, you have plenty - but how to sequence?

a number of possibilities..

1. use silentway - try youtube for how to videos
2. use a buffered mult to split the v/oct to different oscillators (perhaps tuned to different notes
3. as 2 but add a precision adder
4. try recording cv into ableton and playing back via the es8, not tried it might work, might not, might not in an interesting way
5. get more sequencer - either more simple sequencers or a more complex sequencer, or both
6. a combination of all these techniques

as your patches get more complex you will know what you are missing - either because you always use disting for xyz function or you run out of attenuverters or mixer channels or vcas or lpgs or whatever
boombipbass
Agawell wrote:
maybe this should be in the eurorack forum

but anyway I'd break it down into little chunks

can you sequence a bassline from the beatstep?

is it in time with ableton?

can you record it? hint es8 should show up as a soundcard in daw

can you modulate it?

is the modulation in synch?

can you modulate the modulation?

can you process the bassline through an effects module?

can you get the audio from daw into the modular? (es8 again)

can you mix it with the bassline and effect them both together?

can you modulate the effects?

can you record it still?

want a more complex sound?

add another voice or 2, you have plenty - but how to sequence?

a number of possibilities..

1. use silentway - try youtube for how to videos
2. use a buffered mult to split the v/oct to different oscillators (perhaps tuned to different notes
3. as 2 but add a precision adder
4. try recording cv into ableton and playing back via the es8, not tried it might work, might not, might not in an interesting way
5. get more sequencer - either more simple sequencers or a more complex sequencer, or both
6. a combination of all these techniques

as your patches get more complex you will know what you are missing - either because you always use disting for xyz function or you run out of attenuverters or mixer channels or vcas or lpgs or whatever

Are they in a particular order?
They are in sync with ableton
How to use the buff multi and detune them?
The osc itself you mean?

Which sequencer would you recommend?

I do not use ES as a soundcard but without it, and I use the ADAT, which is very handy, and then use those channels provided in my soundcard, I think it can record CV but I do not know which silentway to use.
Agawell
boombipbass wrote:

The osc itself you mean?

I do not use ES as a soundcard but without it, and I use the ADAT, which is very handy, and then use those channels provided in my soundcard, I think it can record CV but I do not know which silentway to use.

no particular order just suggestions

yes the oscillators!

take output from cv source, instead of patching straight to a single oscillator, patch to a buffered mult and from there to multiple oscillators... tune the different oscilllators to different notes of a chord use different gates/triggers/envelopes to open vcas/lpgs etc

I have a beatstep pro and a marbles that I really like, I've enjoyed playing with a metropolis (high on the list for a next sequencer for me), also vcvrack via es8 - you will probably need to use the es8 ins/outs for cv as they are DC-coupled - vcvrack also has recording modules available for suitable for both audio & cv
JakoGreyshire
for ideas I always look at treads that contain a ton of ideas to draw upon...

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=93120&highlight=
boombipbass
yes ive installed VCVrack but its very difficult to route it for me I tried the youtube tutorials but couldnt get the hang of it i tried:

audio module -- > bridge(couldnt find my soundcard(it has 32 outputs, which should send it to the channel desired and thus the ES-8 but it doesnt work unfortunately. :- S

Sequncers, I like metropolis too I have it digitally but it needs a quantizer, same goes for the chords detuning.
Whart is marbvles?

Agawell wrote:
boombipbass wrote:

The osc itself you mean?

no particular order just suggestions

yes the oscillators!

take output from cv source, instead of patching straight to a single oscillator, patch to a buffered mult and from there to multiple oscillators... tune the different oscilllators to different notes of a chord use different gates/triggers/envelopes to open vcas/lpgs etc

I have a beatstep pro and a marbles that I really like, I've enjoyed playing with a metropolis (high on the list for a next sequencer for me), also vcvrack via es8 - you will probably need to use the es8 ins/outs for cv as they are DC-coupled - vcvrack also has recording modules available for suitable for both audio & cv
boombipbass
JakoGreyshire wrote:
for ideas I always look at treads that contain a ton of ideas to draw upon...

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=93120&highlight=

haha bad ideas nice smile
boombipbass
So I am thinking of buying the Cirklon Sequentix, thats a nice sequencer but I do not have drummodules or analog drums at all
Sunden
Some good modules to start with because they can generate a really wide variety of drum sounds especially when you hit them with a lot of modulation-

Plonk
Basimilus Iteritas Alter
Plaits
Transient+
Akemie’s Taiko
Fracture and Chimera

However finding ways to make percussive elements with what you already have is always a good challenge... quick envelopes, pitch envelopes, heavy audio rate FM are all good places to start.
boombipbass
yeah but I mostly use ableton for my drums so what would be the use of a drummodule.

btw; the Tiptop trigger riot as a sequencer really grabbed my attention, but its not as conventional right? can it be a normal sequencer too?

Sunden wrote:
Some good modules to start with because they can generate a really wide variety of drum sounds especially when you hit them with a lot of modulation-

Plonk
Basimilus Iteritas Alter
Plaits
Transient+
Akemie’s Taiko
Fracture and Chimera

However finding ways to make percussive elements with what you already have is always a good challenge... quick envelopes, pitch envelopes, heavy audio rate FM are all good places to start.
Agawell
I'd really consider stopping buying more modules and learn to use the ones that you have

from you previous post you state that Metropolis needs a quantizer - but it has one with 30 possible scales to choose from

RTFM

if you want to know what marbles is, go to Modulargrid and search

and for VCVRack I can't help you connecting it to Ableton - as I don't have Ableton - but it runs perfectly well on it's own and can really help understanding of modular and extend a rack - if you need to use it with ableton and are still experiencing difficulties after watching the how to vidseos, you could try the software sub-forum
boombipbass
Agawell wrote:
I'd really consider stopping buying more modules and learn to use the ones that you have

yes I am studying massively but thats why I wanted to know this patch initially and some tips to get that wonky minimal cabanne/villalobos sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wVvN16mvT4

id love to replica this
th0mas
IMO stick to ableton for drums.. the stock drum samples aren't great but get a few sample packs or sign up to splice.com. Cheaper than spending ANY money on hardware drums, especially in modular.

the "lead" part sounds like someone is using an attunaverter like ch2 of maths into a quantizer, and using that to control an oscillator. The chords are just some osc with a bunch of vibrato.

If you feel out of your depth I strongly suggest you step back from modular and work on recreating the sounds you want to recreate without modular - it's too easy to convince yourself that to make sound XYZ the first step is spending $500, when there's completely suitable options within any major DAW (and vcvrack)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1