MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Digitakt - would you buy it again?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Digitakt - would you buy it again?
michi_mak
To all you DT owners: would you buy it again? Is it the center of your hardware setup?
bimbom
Simple answer
Yes , no

Broader answer.
Yes , I’d buy it again .
It’s not the centre all of the time , sometimes I use it on its own , sometimes with other gear.
It’s position in my setup depends on the other gear bearing used , but it’s a good electrical product and is still being developed . It doesn’t do everything .

I wouldn’t buy 2 , I’d only buy again if I sold the one I have and wanted another..
Scot Solida
Yes... and no.

In fact, I did buy one again after selling the first. I grew fed up with waiting for the Transfer software to be updated to use with the Digitakt so I sold it. Of course, the update I was waiting for came the very next day, so I ordered a second one.

I like the Digitakt, but it could never be the sole center of my hardware setup - if for no other reason the lack of a 'song' mode means it would work only with some of my music. I don't really have a 'center' of my setup - I have a lot of stuff and that role is pretty fluid.

Having said that, if the Digitakt was all I had, I could make my music with it.
gringostar
No.

I got mine about 3 months after release and then sold it right after they released the digitone since it was still full of bugs.

Also I learned that I am not someone that works well with the elektron sequencers. On the bright side, I got it for cheep and then was able to sell it at a non-loss due to them raising the prices on it.
locust_locust
Yes I would.
anselmi
yes...a million times
michi_mak
gringostar wrote:
No.

I got mine about 3 months after release and then sold it right after they released the digitone since it was still full of bugs.

Also I learned that I am not someone that works well with the elektron sequencers. On the bright side, I got it for cheep and then was able to sell it at a non-loss due to them raising the prices on it.

would you mind elaborating on the sequencer issues you had?
InnnerSight
Sold mine. I liked the sequencer and it sounded pretty decent, all in all its pretty versatile. However I just didn't get on with the UI as far as the menus were concerned. Would I buy it again, maybe if I saw one for a good price or if they introduced an easier way to chop samples.
tehyar
Yes, love it. No, it's just a powerful rhythmic instrument for me, not a centerpiece.
GUM
Yes.

Sold mine to get an OctaMK2 because I needed the multi outs, song mode, stereo/longer samples. I miss the 'immediacy' of the Digitakt and the compressor tho, and if I played 'live' more often or got back into making 'beat' oriented material again would definitely pick one up because the thing 'slaps' as the kids say.
CoreInside
I'm glad I got mine. I played live at a gig and have another gig next month. Just bought a digitone to complement it. Perfect for playing live as you don't need to carry loads of heavy equipment around. If they get lost or stolen they are still affordable (sort of) to replace. I haven't worked out how to backup my songs yet. Need to work that out in case my machine gets nicked or breaks.
gringostar
michi_mak wrote:
would you mind elaborating on the sequencer issues you had?

Didn't gel with it is all.

I found it great as a standalone instrument but I couldn't get it to work how I wanted it to as a central brain for my setup.

There were other issues, the sample management was horrible while I had it (that's supposedly fixed now) and the whole overbridge fiasco that's still not out yet is kinda funny to me since it's been what... almost 2 years and they just started beta testing for it recently?

I was pretty early in jumping on it but with how slow updates were while I had it and in the midst of it they announced both the digitone and the mkII lineup while being slow with updates left me sour on them.
haven
Would I buy again? yes!

It is FUN. I get results fast with it. The reason I make music is to relax and have fun making music I like, so despite its shortcomings (mono samples and not having different clock divisions per track being the biggest for me) It is a go-to device when I make music.

Some context, for hardware sequencers I have a Rytm mk1 and an Analogue Keys. I used to have a Cirklon.

Even though both Rytm and Digitakt play samples and have the Elektron sequencer I do not find the Rytm mk1 and Digitakt redundant. If I was only using it for drums I could see having both as redundant... especially since I think the Rytm is far better for complex drums. But to me the Digitakt excels at so much more than drums.

For me, the big draw of the Digitakt is the way it can reference inside a sample while playing, and the MIDI tracks. For sample playback the play position and direction can ebe sequenced and visualized. This works a lot better than the Rytm because

1)the Rytm has no waveform display , the Digitakt does and will show you where it is playing back - this is important to me when jumping around a sample
2) the start and end parameters work differently on Digitakt. On the Digitakt the end is relative to the start, so you can tell it to only play for 1/8 of the sample length, and then jump around in the sample. On Rytm the End is an absolute parameter, so you need to change it with the start.
3) you can sequence playback direction and loop, awesome for glitch

Digitakt is great at dealing with breaks and phrases. Either drum patterns or melodic material. I often use the Digtakt to create ambient beds, basically layers of pads, chords and strings that it jumps around.

If you are interested in the Digitakt and want large addressable arrays of samples, I encourage you to read up on Sample Chains on the Elektronauts forum. Most of the documentation is based on the Rytm, which works mostly the same way, and in the ways I mention above better on the Digitakt. I use the free software Octachainer to create sample chains. Basic idea of sample chains is the start and end of the sample playback parameter is a range of 120, which allows samples that are created to line of with a division of 120 to be precisely addressed per step of the sequencer. more info here https://elastic-membrane.com/blogs/news/113398021-analog-rytm-sample-c hains-and-slice-calculation-tool

I use the MIDI tracks to sequence my Nord Lead 3 and Bass Station 2 as well as some plugins. Its fun, and I like it when combined with gear that can change programs instantly like the Bass Station 2 and Nord Lead 3. You can sequence program changes on any step with it, in addition to all those MIDI CCs. I often use multiple MIDI tracks on the same channel to get more polyphony and have counterpoints I can mute.

Can you tell I love this little box?
SnipeCatcher
Love the Digitakt. Was the centerpiece until I got an Octatrack, but I still think the DT is genius. Fast, fun and can go pretty crazy with it
medium Rob
I would never sell it.. though i wish it had some of the advanced features of the Digitone, such as add'l LFOs per track and better filter(s)
ablearcher
No.

I purchased it primarily for midi srquencing, not realizing that the midi tracks are missing the retriggering functions of the internal tracks.

However i havent sold it because i dont have anything else that samples and i find that implementation to be pretty nice so...

seriously, i just don't get it
LTodd
ablearcher wrote:
No.

I purchased it primarily for midi srquencing, not realizing that the midi tracks are missing the retriggering functions of the internal tracks.

However i havent sold it because i dont have anything else that samples and i find that implementation to be pretty nice so...

seriously, i just don't get it

Yep. This is the biggest fail of the DT.
tron23
Off track but do the other Elektron sequencers offer the retrigger function on the midi tracks? Guinness ftw!
khyber
Yes, but not as my only drum machine (but yes as my main sequencer in a small setup)
Panason
tron23 wrote:
Off track but do the other Elektron sequencers offer the retrigger function on the midi tracks? Guinness ftw!

The MD does not. I doubt the OT does either but haven't tried it.

I would never buy a DT because it just doesn't sound good enough and doesn't have individual outs.
brandonlogic
Quote:
would you buy it again? Is it the center of your hardware setup?

I would buy it again, not that i would ever sell is so i wouldn't have to hah.

It's not the center of my hardware setup though, my modular is...

mostly got the digitakt so i don't have to do all my drums in the modular. Easy way to program some drums to go over a patch. Its great for that. I use pams workout midi clock out to sync.

I will say though the digitone and digitakt alone is a really fun combo too!
GUM
Octatrack does do retrig (RTRG) on the MIDI tracks
Jason Brock
Yes, but it's not a centerpiece for me since I use a DAW for recording. It replaced an MPC1000 which I never used to its fullest capacity. The Digitakt is quicker and easier for me to get ideas going, and it can do some really cool modulation tricks like assigning a random LFO to Sample Start to generate those "happy accident" types of things.
michi_mak
Panason wrote:
tron23 wrote:

The MD does not. I doubt the OT does either but haven't tried it.

I would never buy a DT because it just doesn't sound good enough and doesn't have individual outs.

would you mind elaborating on the sound of a modern sampler d'oh!
michi_mak
haven wrote:
Would I buy again? yes!

It is FUN. I get results fast with it. The reason I make music is to relax and have fun making music I like, so despite its shortcomings (mono samples and not having different clock divisions per track being the biggest for me) It is a go-to device when I make music.

Some context, for hardware sequencers I have a Rytm mk1 and an Analogue Keys. I used to have a Cirklon.

Even though both Rytm and Digitakt play samples and have the Elektron sequencer I do not find the Rytm mk1 and Digitakt redundant. If I was only using it for drums I could see having both as redundant... especially since I think the Rytm is far better for complex drums. But to me the Digitakt excels at so much more than drums.

For me, the big draw of the Digitakt is the way it can reference inside a sample while playing, and the MIDI tracks. For sample playback the play position and direction can ebe sequenced and visualized. This works a lot better than the Rytm because

1)the Rytm has no waveform display , the Digitakt does and will show you where it is playing back - this is important to me when jumping around a sample
2) the start and end parameters work differently on Digitakt. On the Digitakt the end is relative to the start, so you can tell it to only play for 1/8 of the sample length, and then jump around in the sample. On Rytm the End is an absolute parameter, so you need to change it with the start.
3) you can sequence playback direction and loop, awesome for glitch

Digitakt is great at dealing with breaks and phrases. Either drum patterns or melodic material. I often use the Digtakt to create ambient beds, basically layers of pads, chords and strings that it jumps around.

If you are interested in the Digitakt and want large addressable arrays of samples, I encourage you to read up on Sample Chains on the Elektronauts forum. Most of the documentation is based on the Rytm, which works mostly the same way, and in the ways I mention above better on the Digitakt. I use the free software Octachainer to create sample chains. Basic idea of sample chains is the start and end of the sample playback parameter is a range of 120, which allows samples that are created to line of with a division of 120 to be precisely addressed per step of the sequencer. more info here https://elastic-membrane.com/blogs/news/113398021-analog-rytm-sample-c hains-and-slice-calculation-tool

I use the MIDI tracks to sequence my Nord Lead 3 and Bass Station 2 as well as some plugins. Its fun, and I like it when combined with gear that can change programs instantly like the Bass Station 2 and Nord Lead 3. You can sequence program changes on any step with it, in addition to all those MIDI CCs. I often use multiple MIDI tracks on the same channel to get more polyphony and have counterpoints I can mute.

Can you tell I love this little box?

we're not worthy thanks o lot! cool idea to get some sonic variations going!!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3