MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sy0.5 10HP Syncsussion clone
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Sy0.5 10HP Syncsussion clone
Altitude909
A faithful 1:1 recreation of a single channel of the Pearl Syncussion SY-1. The circuit use all modern versions of original parts (all the opamps are still in production!) and equivalent parts for out of production parts.

Features

10 HP
Current Draw: +12V 130 mA, -12V 20 mA
Output at eurorack levels
CV modulation of Decay Time
CV modulation of Filter Cutoff
CV Modulation of OSC pitch
OSC Mode can be selected by 0-5V CV OR can be advanced with a gate signal (2 modes)
Linear power supplies (NO switching nonsense)
Skiff Friendly (one PCB)

https://michigansynthworks.com/p/sy0-5-analog-drum-module

PRICE: $325

User Guide: https://misw.us/SY0.5_UserGuide_Dec2018.pdf

Power: PSIpower so EITHER WAY, it makes no difference

Sweep/LFO functionality: I considered using 3 position switches for an "off" setting but it was really weird to use so "off" is with the modulation fader all the way down, same functionality.

CV Range: -10-10V. Faders act as a CV offset

Mode functionlity: There are two options for mode, one will advance the osc mode with a trigger in the direction it was last selected manually (up or down) or you can select the mode with a CV, 0-5V. You can toggle between these functions by long pressing both buttons

Power header orientation: This has Jim's PSIpower scheme so there is no polarity on the power header, either way.

Trimmers on the back: Per the original SY-1 the two OSCs are calibrated at 440 and 450 Hz and the CV tracking is calibrated over 3 octaves. The SY-1 has a bit of a quirk where the pitch slowly drifts down which makes calibrating this accurately a bit of a pain in the ass, Jon's solution was to ground out the S/H circuit before it connects to the modulation bus. This fixes the drift for calibration but on this device, that involves soldering a wire to an 0402 resistor so proceed with caution. I use a high accuracy PVR and good counter to calibrate so I can probably dial these in better than you can and I dont recommend messing with those two trimmers

Technically, the noise is supposed to be 2.5V peak to peak but I find its better to dial in by ear. This device has the correct noise circuit values per the service manual so the range is reasonable and right in the middle is a good spot where the amplitude matches the other modes volume wise.

The sense trimmer behaves just like the original and that circuit is unchanged. Sending a straight gate or trigger really wont have any effect, all positions will have a identical result but once you start sending it weird stuff, tweaking this will give you some more control. The SY-1 had a tom with a speaker in it as a trigger so its designed to take variable level triggers to add some expression, its not exactly a VCA but adding accent to the pulse levels does produce cool results by simulating "hit the drum harder". I'm working on a 4 channel piezo based drum pad to flesh this out further

kay_k
DONE!
Paranormal Patroler
love
Transistor
Broke at the moment but this one is on the very top of my list of next purchases, can’t wait! Will these also be available through dealers too?
kay_k
Transistor wrote:
Broke at the moment but this one is on the very top of my list of next purchases, can’t wait! Will these also be available through dealers too?

I am broke too, but you gotta have priorities twisted
Modulus
I love that you can modulate the mode, sounds epic. applause
Altitude909
Transistor wrote:

Yeah, Schneider's will have them
Transistor
thumbs up
kay_k
I just paid wink

What kind of caps will you use instead? just little rubber heads or none at all?

Always wanted a SY-1 (or clone) but a half SY1 module with CV over everything including Mode is even better!

please keep us posted how the production goes.
Altitude909
kay_k wrote:
I just paid wink

What kind of caps will you use instead? just little rubber heads or none at all?

Always wanted a SY-1 (or clone) but a half SY1 module with CV over everything including Mode is even better!

please keep us posted how the production goes.

The standard plastic E-Switch parts you see on everything (i.e. mutable).
uebl
Mhhh, intriguing.
brandonlogic
i've never been interested or cared for the idea of a dedicated drum module until now.
Definitely going to pre order one (or two).
NS4W
Pre-orders closed?
tron23
Very happy to see that many Syncussion options in the wild these days.
w00t
Altitude909
NS4W wrote:
Pre-orders closed?

No, I'll keep it open till I get a shipping notification from the fab
NS4W
Altitude909 wrote:

No, I'll keep it open till I get a shipping notification from the fab

Ok, ordered! (Enjoying your MI builds btw - top quality!)
naturarerum
holy crap... preordered
drowld
Also preordered 2.
MY ASS IS BLEEDING
L.C.O.
Does this module retain user settings through a power cycle?
Thank you.
Altitude909
L.C.O. wrote:
Thank you.

Just the OSC type. Everything is analog so nothing to save
brandonlogic
i cant contain my excitement for this thing. havnt been this hyped for a module in a while.
expected shipping for pre orders like 2 weeks away now?
PolarIceCaves
Hey Brandon I’m loving the enthusiasm toward this module

Could you tell me why you’re so excited for this? What am i missing?
Altitude909
brandonlogic wrote:
i cant contain my excitement for this thing. havnt been this hyped for a module in a while.
expected shipping for pre orders like 2 weeks away now?

hopefully, Panels came in already still waiting on boards. They were supposed to be done this week but sometimes it takes a bit longer than expected..
L.C.O.
Altitude909 wrote:
L.C.O. wrote:
Thank you.

I am afraid I don't understand.
What do you mean' that it remains or that it is lost after cycle?

Does the mode selection stay after power cycle?
Transistor
L.C.O. wrote:
Altitude909 wrote:
L.C.O. wrote:
Thank you.

I am afraid I don't understand.
What do you mean' that it remains or that it is lost after cycle?

Does the mode selection stay after power cycle?

Think he meant there isn’t anything to be lost and OSC type is indeed selected through mode.

I’m super excited too, Pearl syncussion is awesome and having control over the tweakables... yumm
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4