Black Knobs - new forum about modulars

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:32 pm

hawkfuzz wrote:...have you used MI on your mobile device? It's just streamlined. Not saying MW doesn't work, but I have to zoom in to click links and sometimes the screen jumps and I click the wrong link. Sometimes I have to log in 3 times for it to stay logged in.

I get it, a flip phone still works, but a smartphone works better.
yes, I often use my phone to browse & post on muffs when I'm out of town. it works just fine for me, and I even have an older Samsung phone. it's not the "latest and greatest".

-->unlike the new MOOG website for example: which *is* the latest & greatest, and is a huge pain in the ass for me to use. it often freezes my browser

flippantminister
0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Post by flippantminister » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:39 pm

umma gumma wrote:-->unlike the new MOOG website for example: which *is* the latest & greatest, and is a huge pain in the ass for me to use. it often freezes my browser
That new Moog site is an atrocity.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:07 pm

umma gumma wrote:
hawkfuzz wrote:...have you used MI on your mobile device? It's just streamlined. Not saying MW doesn't work, but I have to zoom in to click links and sometimes the screen jumps and I click the wrong link. Sometimes I have to log in 3 times for it to stay logged in.

I get it, a flip phone still works, but a smartphone works better.
yes, I often use my phone to browse & post on muffs when I'm out of town. it works just fine for me, and I even have an older Samsung phone. it's not the "latest and greatest".

-->unlike the new MOOG website for example: which *is* the latest & greatest, and is a huge pain in the ass for me to use. it often freezes my browser
It is faulty af for me. Again, not saying it doesn't function but who doesn't love an update? It's no one's fault and the resources to do it aren't there, but I can't see how it would be a bad thing to have a board that is optimized for mobile browsing, doesn't log you out, and doesn't jump when you click links...

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:58 pm

There's a thread in forum discussions about this - use that for further comments regarding MW usage
viewtopic.php?t=206966
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:25 am

“Server cannot be found.”
That was quick!

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:52 am

Read back a few posts for the explanation.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

motorhead412
Common Wiggler

Post by motorhead412 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:53 am

umma gumma wrote:yeah, maybe

KNOBGOBBLER
can't wait to earn my Knobgobbling with Experience tag.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:49 am

Knob Fondlers is a good name for it, if you want to make it extra greasy.

Fun fact, Nobber and Muff are towns in Ireland.

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:42 pm

sduck wrote:Read back a few posts for the explanation.
Thanks!

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:59 pm

Too bad. I forgot all about it, and saw the link today. Went to check and it's gone.

I thinks its just too difficult to have anything that will really take off outside of MW. The best thing Mike could do, would be to crowd source the developers here, and write some content migration code to get everything from the old MW to a new, modern MW. It would be hard work to get it all right, but it would so be worth it.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:44 pm

This is what I suggest as well. I’d definitely chip in if there was a fund opened for that cause. I bet someone would.

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:55 pm

Building a community takes time! I wonder if there were very unrealistic expectations at play here.

cycad73

Post by cycad73 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:23 pm

BenA718 wrote:Building a community takes time! I wonder if there were very unrealistic expectations at play here.
It can work if you 1) fill an unmet need, 2) already have a core community who can sustain discussion on their own before getting the word out publicly, and 3) spread the word absolutely everywhere and on a frequent basis, until you see others taking up that role. I don't think the OP's venture met any of these criteria.

Also, underlying technology makes very little difference. While I prefer Discourse, I belong to several thriving communities that are doing just fine with Proboards and phpBB.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:26 pm

The fact is there are loads of alternatives to Muff's out there, but have you ever read them? They're creepy! Like the Stepford Wigglers. :hide:

Everyone's super nice and everyone agrees with each other. Muff's might be the scene of the odd fight here and there, but if nothing else that reflects the diversity of the board and that people feel passionate about what they do. Hard to replicate by design.
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Skiff, Waveform Laboratory, Funboat

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”