MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mounting a single Euro module inside a projector
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Mounting a single Euro module inside a projector
lionelfischer
I'm hoping to be able to install a single euro module (1010music "Toolbox") inside a custom projector enclosure for a museum install, just to keep it all in one box with one power switch, clean, etc.

To power a single euro module is a store bought euro power supply needed, or can it be powered by less expensive means? Maybe by just splitting off the power entering the projector etc? I don't know anything about this but I'm hoping to pass off some specs to the smart team building the projector for the museum and hopefully they can make it happen. What do they need to know?
joem
No idea what kind of power your projector takes, so I can't say whether or not you can use the same power for it for this.

According to the manufacturer's webpage, the Toolbox just need 350mA of +12V, so this is probably pretty doable to power via something that isn't a eurorack power supply. Usually you want a fairly clean supply for eurorack, since too much rippling (deviation from the stated voltage) can cause issues with modules that derive internal voltages directly from the voltages they run on, or rely on fairly stable power for other reasons. In most modern modules, this isn't too big a deal anymore since they usually guard against this in the circuits, but it's not a guarantee. That said, since the Toolbox is surely a heavily digital module, it probably has pretty good power regulation built in, so ripple shouldn't matter too much. As such, you might just be able to use any old wallwart style power supply that puts out +12V at at least 350mA (I'd aim for at least 500mA, actually, just to be sure).

All that said, it's still a bit of a gamble (even though it's likely ok), so I'd highly recommend posing this question to the manufacturer. This is kind of a pricey module to take that chance on blindly, I think.
ersatzplanet
joem wrote:
According to the manufacturer's webpage, the Toolbox just need 350mA of +12V, so this is probably pretty doable to power via something that isn't a eurorack power supply.

since it is primarily a digital unit, you may get away with just a +12V DC wall wart. There is no -12V or +5V needed. That makes it very easy. You should be able to get a +12v 500mA wall wart fairly easily.
bitSmasher
What is the module controlling? Between it and the projector?
This doesn't sound too challenging to build, but be sure you provide all details possible to the build crew... even noting small things like polarity marking on the ribbon cable, that could be overlooked by those not familiar with Eurorack
Marizu
Are you thinking about using Laserbox for a lazer projector?
If so, don't you need LZX Cyclops, too?
f4c3v4lu3
Philip Baljeu (designer of LZX Castle Series) had some tiny homebrewed euro-power PCBs at KnobCon. You might contact him about Gerber files - I'll be using mine for a similarly embedded Euro project.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1