MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moog One is a fundamental revolution because linux
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Moog One is a fundamental revolution because linux
cyclopeatron
Yes, I know there's another Moog One thread, but I wanted to throw a thought out there and not have it buried.

Moog One is a revolutionary synth because it is a hackable analog linux music computer.

It is a polyphonic music computer that is tri-timbral with 48 analog VCOs. And eventide effects. And analog filters. And many modulation sources.

There is nothing else like this. Let me say it again! It is an analog linux music computer!

These discussion comparing it to Rev2 or OB6 or talking about fizz or "phatness" seem to miss the point entirely. This is a new kind of instrument. Yes, there are computers that make music. Yes, there are polyphonic, multi-timbral analog synths. But up until now you couldn't just buy a linux box with analog VCOs, ladder filters, etc. Prophet 6 is awesome, but it doesn't have a command line where you can enter scripts. Wow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq7zUKEcyzI
numan7
wow - that is quite amazing (and first time i've seen it mentioned anywhere) - thanks for pointing out, cyclopeatron!

hmm, i wonder how many channels of ad/da conversion there are internally, and if there are any unused channels whether it will be possible to interface or hack them into the audio path somehow...

still, the ability to do things such as coding your own sequencers and lfos on an analog mega-polysynth is pretty mind blowing as it is!

do you know if there are any cpu and board support package information (specs, api) for the one out yet?

anyways, kudos to moog! we're not worthy


cheers
anselmi
cyclopeatron wrote:
These discussion comparing it to Rev2 or OB6 or talking about fizz or "phatness" seem to miss the point entirely.


sure! the point of a Moog polysynth isn´t the sound at all, right? is the fact that it´s a hackable linux computer

great to know...I almost preorder one because of the sound and the feature set! phew! hihi
Muse FTW
Amos mentioned in the reddit AMA that there'll be functionality to hook up the synth via ethernet and have Moog technicians diagnose it remotely, which is pretty freaking cool.

Quote:
Moog One features a rear panel ethernet port that enables the synthesizer to connect directly to its source and “Phone Home” to the Moog Factory in Asheville, NC, allowing Moog technicians to perform remote diagnostics and service routines should they ever be needed.
commodorejohn
The real question: will it be free of the Systemd Taint? Well, if not we'll just have to wait for the BSDs to support it...should only take 'til about 2036.
numan7
well i'm rather fond of systemd service units and all the nifty things that can be done with them (but please let's not get into that debate here). hihi

hmm, i do wonder if moog one owners will be able to have su account / admin privileges on their instruments though.


cheers
Exhale
Inetersting what Linux build they used.
tehyar
I'm not big on softsynths because of the lack of tactile control, but I could totally see myself getting into tweaking sounds via command prompt. Especially if I get to use packed binary data packets. Put some phat in that bass with a little 1001001, if you know what I mean.
GovernorSilver
Muse FTW wrote:
Amos mentioned in the reddit AMA that there'll be functionality to hook up the synth via ethernet and have Moog technicians diagnose it remotely, which is pretty freaking cool.



Really digging that too.

Instead of having to mail the synth over to Moog Music for OS fixes/diagnostics, just let them remote-session in. The CDM article also brought up chat, though the idea of chat/IM with a tech on my synth makes me hihi
Panason
"You must update Moog One before you can use this patch"
EPTC
Interesting. Could you reprogram the Moog One to do non-musical things?

I'd love to use it for Git.
EPTC
Thinking a little more about this, it probably would be conceivable to make it a smart device, add Geofencing (the synth could turn on and warm up when it senses your phone is five miles away, for instance, so it'd be warmed up and ready to play when you arrive home) or you could enable an assistant.

"Alexa, play the Moog."
tioJim
cyclopeatron wrote:
Moog One is a revolutionary synth because it is a hackable analog linux music computer.


I love what you're saying but, is it? Doesn't that assume they'll open up the source code? The JUCE UI is one thing but there'll be an additional layer that talks to the music hardware. That'll be Moog IP and presumably off limits. Rolling one's own wouldn't be trivial.

cyclopeatron wrote:
Yes, I know there's another Moog One thread


Here's hoping the haters stay on that one very frustrating
tehyar
EPTC wrote:
Interesting. Could you reprogram the Moog One to do non-musical things?

I'd love to use it for Git.


At the very least a git client for patch storage, with optional integrated unit testing before commits to verify your patches don't sound like shit.

"Index violation, too many stacked unison patches. Please try making something else for once"
starthief
Finally, email checking is not just reserved for laptop performers Mr. Green
EPTC
tehyar wrote:
At the very least a git client for patch storage


Shit, an open source collaborative patch repository would be amazing, now that you suggest that.

Funny index joke, too.

git commit -m "not a bad idea"
J3RK
EPTC wrote:
Interesting. Could you reprogram the Moog One to do non-musical things?

I'd love to use it for Git.


Hmm... This comes to mind:

"The same thing I want with the Kremlin. I'm bored with corporations. With the information I can access, I can run things 900 to 1200 times better than any human."

hihi

End of line.
MoogProDG
J3RK wrote:
EPTC wrote:
Interesting. Could you reprogram the Moog One to do non-musical things?

I'd love to use it for Git.


Hmm... This comes to mind:

"The same thing I want with the Kremlin. I'm bored with corporations. With the information I can access, I can run things 900 to 1200 times better than any human."

hihi

End of line.



My first thought was more like "Great... Can it send me to Hawaii?"

Who's your user?
Illiac
GovernorSilver wrote:
Muse FTW wrote:
Amos mentioned in the reddit AMA that there'll be functionality to hook up the synth via ethernet and have Moog technicians diagnose it remotely, which is pretty freaking cool.



Really digging that too.

Instead of having to mail the synth over to Moog Music for OS fixes/diagnostics, just let them remote-session in. The CDM article also brought up chat, though the idea of chat/IM with a tech on my synth makes me hihi


Just wanted to point out that Modal has had this implemented in their 008 for a number of years already.

The OP's main point of hackability is intriguing, though
EPTC
J3RK wrote:
Hmm... This comes to mind:

"The same thing I want with the Kremlin. I'm bored with corporations. With the information I can access, I can run things 900 to 1200 times better than any human."


Ha, very funny. No, I just mean swapping firmware around. I know Moog is all caps NOT open source, but for example Mutable Instruments is, and here's a much better Peaks than Peaks itself: https://github.com/timchurches/Mutated-Mutables/releases

Git is a means of uploading, downloading, and collaborating on code. In the linked example, that's an entire new firmware for the Peaks module. No Kremlin required!
Reese P. Dubin
pretty cool that people are already anticipating their $8000 synth breaking
tehyar
Reese P. Dubin wrote:
pretty cool that people are already anticipating their $8000 synth breaking


I keep bottled water in my house in anticipation that my $300,000 house might stop providing me water, or the multi-million dollar city water delivery system might fail temporarily. My $40,000 truck has a spare tire.

Wait, what was your point?
GovernorSilver
From the AMA thread:

Quote:
Hi Amos. I know you do firmware and have picked your brain at NAMM. Can you tell us anything about your current toolchain? Moog used to be 8-bit stuff years ago, wondering about your current development environment (for me and the guys that like the inside of synths as much as the outside).


I can talk a little bit about the toolchain (for code development, for any non-programmers reading this). The frontend is developed in JUCE and compiled in Xcode. There is a whole team working on this instrument and each person uses their own favorite editor for writing code (a lot of folks prefer Emacs; I use mostly Atom and XCode).
sduck
I hope they're still around to fix them when the year 3K bug happens.
GovernorSilver
sduck wrote:
I hope they're still around to fix them when the year 3K bug happens.


Ray Kurweill will take care of it, because he would have uploaded his mind from his brain into the Internet by then.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group