MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Malekko Snd/Rtn send/quiet Wet level?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Malekko Snd/Rtn send/quiet Wet level?
SinkWhole
Anyone else using a Malekko Snd/Rtn?

Having problems matching up levels.... Dry significantly louder than Wet....Only had a chance to try it with Empress Reverb pedal so far. Feeding it OP-1 via Ears and also Tried feeding Rings in to it. Cant match dry/wet signals on the Malekko...

Maybe it just takes some more finesse along the signal chain to balance it out, but tried for half hour and couldn’t get it to where it should be..

Is it normal to need a vca after something like Snd/Rtn? Id assumed it would have enough gain on the send/return knobs to work perfectly with pedals by itself..

On the plus side Rings > Empress sounds really nice and some pretty interesting sounds with Maths modulating the Malekko Wet/Dry...
hlprmnky
I have one but I've been using it at the end of my audio chain, 2hp Mix -> Snd/Rtn -> WMD Pro output. I have patched it up to feed just one voice through my pedals before, but I would have been feeding that output into the 2hp Mix alongside others on their way out and would have then balanced them all there. I will putter about with this in my wiggling time tomorrow and report back my findings. I have a Rings as well so I will focus on that and see what I can discover.
hlprmnky
I did the following experiment with both a Rings in single note/modal resonator and a Make Noise DPO final output with a bunch of grimy stuff happening:
- Attach an oscilloscope to a stackable on the 'in' of the SND/RTN and measure the vpp for the audio signal
- Listen to the volume level 100% dry
- Listen to the volume level 100% wet both with all the pedals in my audio chain off/bypassed and with all of them running
- Attach the oscilloscope to the 'out' of the SND/RTN and measure the vpp there at 100% dry and 100% wet

In all cases, with the wet pot set to 100%, I was able to get the 'out' vpp and the perceived loudness of the return signal to meet or exceed the dry sound, and get the SND/RTN clip indicator to start flickering on, with either 'send' at 100% and 'return' right around 12 o'clock, or 'return' at 100% and 'send' somewhere a little north of 9 o'clock. When fully clipping, the returned vpp was well over the "dry" vpp and sounded just as loud to me as other signals coming through my 2hp MIX module.

The only thing I was able to find that affected loudness in the way you describe is a "volume" knob on my reverb pedal - if I turned that down considerably, the returned signal would get weaker.

Hope this helps you out!
SinkWhole
hlprmnky wrote:
I did the following experiment with both a Rings in single note/modal resonator and a Make Noise DPO final output with a bunch of grimy stuff happening:
- Attach an oscilloscope to a stackable on the 'in' of the SND/RTN and measure the vpp for the audio signal
- Listen to the volume level 100% dry
- Listen to the volume level 100% wet both with all the pedals in my audio chain off/bypassed and with all of them running
- Attach the oscilloscope to the 'out' of the SND/RTN and measure the vpp there at 100% dry and 100% wet

In all cases, with the wet pot set to 100%, I was able to get the 'out' vpp and the perceived loudness of the return signal to meet or exceed the dry sound, and get the SND/RTN clip indicator to start flickering on, with either 'send' at 100% and 'return' right around 12 o'clock, or 'return' at 100% and 'send' somewhere a little north of 9 o'clock. When fully clipping, the returned vpp was well over the "dry" vpp and sounded just as loud to me as other signals coming through my 2hp MIX module.

The only thing I was able to find that affected loudness in the way you describe is a "volume" knob on my reverb pedal - if I turned that down considerably, the returned signal would get weaker.

Hope this helps you out!

Thanks smile yeah I’ve had much better results after that first session. User error/poor gainstaging/bad cable/all of the above... <one of those must have been to blame for the issues I initially had. Nice little send module, the wet/dry can be quite fun with Voltage Block..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1