MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Hermod vs Pico Seq + Mutant Brain
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Hermod vs Pico Seq + Mutant Brain
Andy137
Thinking of two modules: sequencer and midi to CV. First time I thought it can be Erica Synths Pico Seq and Hexinverter Mutant Brain. And now look into Hermod. What would you choose? Also I need to know possibilities for live improvisations...
mdoudoroff
Here be dragons. You just arbitrarily tossed out a few modules—free of any real context—in two of the most complicated topics in Eurorack.

Well, I wouldn’t choose either. woah
Andy137
mdoudoroff wrote:
Here be dragons. You just arbitrarily tossed out a few modules—free of any real context—in two of the most complicated topics in Eurorack.

Well, I wouldn’t choose either. woah

I need gate sequencer and I need MIDi interface. As the start point. So if there more functions it will be better.
mdoudoroff
Andy137 wrote:
I need gate sequencer and I need MIDi interface. As the start point. So if there more functions it will be better.

More functions aren’t better unless they happen work well in a manner that suits how you want to work. Everything is a tradeoff. Everything.

You say you want a “gate sequencer”. Ok. Neither Hermod nor Pico SEQ are what we would generally call a “gate sequencer”. Although they can sequence gates, they’re first designed to produce pitch+gate pairs (melodic sequencing). This is in contrast to, say, the Malekko Varigate product line, which mainly does just gate sequencing, or the TipTop Circadian Rhythms or Bastl Knit Rider, which are trigger sequencers. Many available modules blur the lines in different ways. So it really does matter what you’re trying to do, what you’re NOT trying to do, and how you want to work.

For MIDI, if all you want is a simple, reliable, DIN MIDI interface, the Mutant Brain is probably one reasonable choice. If you need USB MIDI, too, then obviously it’s not a good choice at all.

Hermod is pretty cool, and there’s nothing else quite like it, but I would spend a lot of time rewatching the available YouTube videos on it, reading the documentation and checking out the discussion thread before buying one:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=189718

Here in Eurorack, we live with the curse of choice.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1