MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sometimes my sequencers skip to 2nd step on start
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Sometimes my sequencers skip to 2nd step on start
helix
Why might this be? The path was fine to start with now when i press play in my DAW (mid iout to cv.ocd - gate out as clock, split to various sequencers, reset from STOP resets all sequencers)

Seems erratic, but possibly too many things running off a single clock signal? Dont wanna unpatch at the moment as i've got something awesome going on..
helix
It happens when clocking off my A160-2 almost all the time now when it's being reset with everything else... Hmmmm.
JohnLRice
I don't have your particular gear or setup but I've run into this before and it was easiest to Reset to the last step of the sequence, that way when you start up again the first clock received steps the sequencer to the first step. You might need to add a pick-up beat or something to the beginning of your DAW sequence to get everything to line up? hmmm.....

Are you using a buffered multiple to split out clocks to multiple sources?
helix
Actually i'm not.. Maybe thats the problem. i do have another one on its way in the post though
helix
Hasn't helped. Time to email Dieter..
JohnLRice
Also try adjusting the voltage level and the 'shape' of the gate. Try some boost, attenuation, and/or offset of the gate like with a Steady State Fate S.P.O. or similar. And try using a pulse width modifier like the Ladik S-187 or similar? Hopefully you already have something like those modules in your setup already so you can try it out without spending cash on my guesses! cool Good luck! thumbs up
helix
Hmm, nothing is working. I've tried just clocking from my A-119 with an external pulse. Clock works great, as expected. But as soon as a put a reset jack in (which is coming from my DAW Via CV.OCD, it skips a beat.

I wonder if its an FL studio thing..... Might try it in ableton or another DAW if i can wrap my head around them...
JohnLRice
helix wrote:
Hmm, nothing is working. I've tried just clocking from my A-119 with an external pulse. Clock works great, as expected. But as soon as a put a reset jack in (which is coming from my DAW Via CV.OCD, it skips a beat.

I wonder if its an FL studio thing..... Might try it in ableton or another DAW if i can wrap my head around them...
I know it can be frustrating! Doing a reset to step 1 while the clock is running will often give you a double step depending on the timing (and a lot of other things like the sequencer design etc). If the reset happens slightly before a clock pulse then you are effectively setting the sequence to step 1 and then a micro second later the next clock pulse sets the sequence to step 2 or similar.

As I sort of mentioned before, I found that with my 5U Moon modular sequencers, using the Reset inputs didn't work that well, either while running or stopped. But after I got the expander modules that allow me to force the sequence to any step, for some reason forcing the sequence to step 1 worked slightly better then the dedicated Reset input but sending a reset gate to force it to step 8 worked the best since I was working around the double tap of the reset and clock signals happening at the same time. (I think? hmmm..... lol )

If your sequencer doesn't have "set inputs" for every step you may be able to still work around this by setting a delay in your DAW or with a module like the Ladik S-187 to either delay the reset gate or the clock stream?

OK, sorry to keep rambling on about this when I don't have any of your same setup and I'm just guessing! oops
helix
Thanks man. thats helpful. They don't have that fuctino though.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/705280

That's my rig.

the a160-2 causes either the SQ8 or the RYO VC to double skip. You're probabaly right about the reset and the step 1 causing it to double trigger. As when i pull the reset out of the 160-2 it doesn't do it.

But the a160-2 NEEDS to be resetting with my DAW or the modulation just wont sync up. Hmph!

Had SO many problems with Sync issues with my Virus TI, i thought modular would be a breeze haha.
helix
What you dont see on my modular grid is that i have a cv.ocd sitting on top. sending out clock from the DAW.

I will try it just clocked from an LFO tonight and see if i still get the same results
helix
The a160-2 just seems to react to the reset signal a beat late. No matter what i send it. it just doesn't work....

Awaiting a reply from Doepfer
helix
My A160-1 is doing it too...
Alliex
Can you send it a bit early?

FL Studio is my primary DAW, too, but it can be weirdly frustrating sometimes. MIDI sequencing stuff, in my experience, is one of those time. Currently I don't have an issue, but it's a totally different setup (using a BSP as the clock/sequencer) so I probably can't help much.

What are your settings for the cv.ocd on the gate outputs for both the reset signal and the clock?

Is the A160-2 reset set to positive/negative/rising/falling? (<--my first guess)
helix
Thanks for all the replied guys, I looked at the ----shock horror... wait for it....USER MANUAL!

I looked through the jumper settings and low and behold you can change "reset behaviour"

Took the jumper off to change it from "high/low level" to "rising/falling edge" and seems to happily reset and not jump! WOO!
helix
Alliex wrote:
Can you send it a bit early?

Is the A160-2 reset set to positive/negative/rising/falling? (<--my first guess)

YUS! It was exactly this, setting on a jumper. Clever Wiggler!
kwaidan
There are jumpers on the back. See Doepfer website.

Somehow your posts beat mine!
JohnLRice
helix wrote:
Thanks for all the replied guys, I looked at the ----shock horror... wait for it....USER MANUAL!

I looked through the jumper settings and low and behold you can change "reset behaviour"

Took the jumper off to change it from "high/low level" to "rising/falling edge" and seems to happily reset and not jump! WOO!
applause
Alliex
helix wrote:
YUS! It was exactly this, setting on a jumper. Clever Wiggler!
Awesome! Glad you fixed it!

Rising edge/falling edge seems like one of those things that a lot of people don't come across (or forget) when working with logic/gates. grin
helix
I just don't know why that woulnd't be the default!? How is it useful in it's other mode? With it set to the default high/low its Resetting at a seemingly random speed. Useful?
MAXTHEDOG
helix wrote:
I just don't know why that woulnd't be the default!? How is it useful in it's other mode? With it set to the default high/low its Resetting at a seemingly random speed. Useful?

It’s our own fault - ‘cause we want as many options as possible! hihi
Seriously though glad you spotted it. Good for future reference.
Regards,
MtD.
Shledge
FL Studio is horrible for MIDI. The first notes always "rush" for example, so you need to offset everything by a bar.

It's likely that's what is happening, and it's the likely cause why it's causing this erratic behaviour.
helix
Shledge wrote:
FL Studio is horrible for MIDI. The first notes always "rush" for example, so you need to offset everything by a bar.

It's likely that's what is happening, and it's the likely cause why it's causing this erratic behaviour.

Thanks for the reply, but now that i've changed the jumper, all is good.

you're right FL seems to be bad with midi these days. I have a nightmare with my Virus Ti syncing with other external midi synths sometimes. I just struggle with every other DAW as ive been with FL for 15 years
Shledge
Reaper is a good alternative. Much better for MIDI.
helix
Hate it lol
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1