MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

60hp drum machine
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author 60hp drum machine
plainjanefrancis
Apologies up front, as I'm home early, plotting and having some beers.

I'm thinking I could create a legitimate drum machine that I could control with my Ableton Push with this rack below.

(i don't own an STO, Tea Kick, or ABC as of yet)

Here's what I'm thinking. I could use the Shuttle Control as the brain to connect to Ableton Push for triggering each module.

I'd use the STO for my snare. Using a Sine wave, combined with the sub (-1 square) wave and white noise from Shuttle Control into the dplpg.

Use the Tea Kick for my kick obviously.

Bandpass white noise from Shuttle Control for hi hats.

And then use the Disting MK4 as triggered one shot sample source.

All of these things into the ABC to funnel back into my main rack.

Does this sound about right to you? If so, Awesome! If not, what would you change?
bemushroomed
the 4HP mult is a waste of space in that small rack, you can have a 2hp mult + another 2hp module (from e.g 2HP - the manufacturer, that is).
plainjanefrancis
bemushroomed wrote:
the 4HP mult is a waste of space in that small rack, you can have a 2hp mult + another 2hp module (from e.g 2HP - the manufacturer, that is).

Fair enough. I just added it in, because I already own it, and I don't know if there's another module I'm missing at this point. But if there is a module I should make room for, I'm all ears. I just want to make sure this is the right path to create the drum voices.
bedhed3000
Since you already have Tea Kick and ABC, and you don't have the STO yet, why not go for more Bastl? Replace STO and the 4HP mult with Skis and Tromso. Skis gives you a nice EG/VCA combo, Tromso gives you some options for shaping the VCO for your snare sounds, plus S&H and LFO. You wouldn't really need the LPG after that, so you'd have 4 HP left to play with. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Also, that looks more like 42HP than 60 smile
plainjanefrancis
bedhed3000 wrote:
Since you already have Tea Kick and ABC, and you don't have the STO yet, why not go for more Bastl? Replace STO and the 4HP mult with Skis and Tromso. Skis gives you a nice EG/VCA combo, Tromso gives you some options for shaping the VCO for your snare sounds, plus S&H and LFO. You wouldn't really need the LPG after that, so you'd have 4 HP left to play with. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Also, that looks more like 42HP than 60 smile

Nice I haven't checked out the Tromso, I'll look into that and ski's now. Thanks for your insight!
brandonlogic
just curious, whats the advantage of this over something like the Digitakt or the Roland TR-8S?
gb2
on a practical note: the tea kick's output is rather low. that means that you have to run the other elements even lower, and that might not give you the full sonic range.
plainjanefrancis
brandonlogic wrote:
just curious, whats the advantage of this over something like the Digitakt or the Roland TR-8S?

I've never tried the TR-8s but have owned the digitakt briefly. Truth be told I just love using Ableton push and drum racks for sequencing.
plainjanefrancis
gb2 wrote:
on a practical note: the tea kick's output is rather low. that means that you have to run the other elements even lower, and that might not give you the full sonic range.

Ahh I didn't know that. This changes some things for me.
brandonlogic
plainjanefrancis wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:

I've never tried the TR-8s but have owned the digitakt briefly. Truth be told I just love using Ableton push and drum racks for sequencing.

those machines have midi input though, you could still use Ableton push and drum racks for sequencing. not trying to talk you out of modular, but you are getting a lot more for your money with those.
plainjanefrancis
brandonlogic wrote:
plainjanefrancis wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:

those machines have midi input though, you could still use Ableton push and drum racks for sequencing. not trying to talk you out of modular, but you are getting a lot more for your money with those.

I could see that for the TR-8s. For some reason I just see the digitakt as redundant because it plays samples just like what I can do from a drum rack. I like the CV control of eurorack along with the sequencing from push. But I am always looking to spend less money, so maybe I won't purchase anything until I've looked into other drum machine options.
brandonlogic
plainjanefrancis wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:
plainjanefrancis wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:

I could see that for the TR-8s. For some reason I just see the digitakt as redundant because it plays samples just like what I can do from a drum rack. I like the CV control of eurorack along with the sequencing from push. But I am always looking to spend less money, so maybe I won't purchase anything until I've looked into other drum machine options.

Arturia DrumBrut, Tempest, Analog Rytm are some analog drum options

about cv control, you would probably want some dedicated modulation sources to make CV control worth it..
plainjanefrancis
brandonlogic wrote:
plainjanefrancis wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:
plainjanefrancis wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:

Would you think it's a bit of a waste to spend such money on a drum machine like the rytm or tempest only to use them as a sound source? I love elektron specifically, but I feel like I'd be wasting power just using the push to trigger the sounds.
brandonlogic
plainjanefrancis wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:
plainjanefrancis wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:
plainjanefrancis wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:

Would you think it's a bit of a waste to spend such money on a drum machine like the rytm or tempest only to use them as a sound source? I love elektron specifically, but I feel like I'd be wasting power just using the push to trigger the sounds.

possibly, but not more of a waste of money then what the proposed modular above would cost for a 4 limited sound sources
plainjanefrancis
brandonlogic wrote:
plainjanefrancis wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:
plainjanefrancis wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:

brandonlogic
maybe save up and get a larger case and make going modular worth it. some interesting modulation sources, some envelope generators, another oscillator, a better LPG, etc
plainjanefrancis
brandonlogic wrote:
maybe save up and get a larger case and make going modular worth it. some interesting modulation sources, some envelope generators, another oscillator, a better LPG, etc

This is my current system. Just trying to add an effective, yet simple drum machine to it.
kwaidan
Instead of Shuttle Control, why not use something like Hexinverter Brains. In fact, there are a number of MIDI to trigger options that are cheaper than Shuttle Control.

You can get a good deal of mileage out of Endorphin.es’ BLCK_Noir. Other good choices are the Jomox kick module and Acidlab.

As for analog drum machines, you might look at the Vermona DRM III. Actually, it is not that much more than the BLCK_Noir, but far more versatile and feature packed.
DSC
At 78HP I have been using this combo with success and I don't need a computer to get the exact phrases I want and add instant randomness, both in mutes and fills. Slightly modified Trigger Riot and highly modified DR-220. Total cost for the pair $450.00. Now it's taken me three years to get here hihi Percussion will be a journey, not a destination. At least it has been for me.

kay_k
I'd argue you better get a sophisticated drum synth like Akemie's Taiko and/or BIA instead of Teakick etc. so you really add some depth and variation. You wont believe the stuff you get when you start modulating sound parameters.
Gaetan
Have you looked at mfb's drum modules ? They seem quite interesting, loads of possible modulation and CV for a good price : http://mfberlin.de/module/
authorless
plainjanefrancis wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:
plainjanefrancis wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:
plainjanefrancis wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:

If it works for you, that is all that matters.
plainjanefrancis
There's a lot of great advice and suggestions in here. I might have a bit of decision paralysis now. I think I'll wait a couple of weeks and think about all these options.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1