MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

-12v to 5v adapter currently in production?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author -12v to 5v adapter currently in production?
Buttons ARE toys
I'm sorry for making a new topic about this, I know I've seen it listed on here in the past but I've been searching for 20 minutes and haven't been able to find it. Earthenvar used to make a 5v adapter called Freelunch that pulled power from the -12v rail instead of +12v. It's out of production, but I could have sworn I saw another adapter that does this mentioned on here a few months ago that is currently in production. Anybody know the name of it?
JAO
Klavis No Drain will do that for you.
Buttons ARE toys
Aha! Thank you!
ersatzplanet
There is the Mutable Instruments Volts too. The thing to check is how much voltage they can supply. It varies a lot between converters:

euromorcego
ersatzplanet wrote:
There is the Mutable Instruments Volts too. The thing to check is how much voltage they can supply. It varies a lot between converters:

volts takes the current from the +12V rail, not the -12V as was asked for (as far as i know).

And for the small minded nitpickers (such as me): they all hopefully supply the same voltage (5V). What differs is the current they can provide.
ersatzplanet
euromorcego wrote:
ersatzplanet wrote:
There is the Mutable Instruments Volts too. The thing to check is how much voltage they can supply. It varies a lot between converters:

volts takes the current from the +12V rail, not the -12V as was asked for (as far as i know).

And for the small minded nitpickers (such as me): they all hopefully supply the same voltage (5V). What differs is the current they can provide.


Right on both counts! For some reason I thought it worked on the -12V (maybe the big -12V on the back). And also I meant Current not volts. Some adaptors that work off the +12V provide very little current (hello Doepfer AD5?)
Zentek
JAO wrote:
Klavis No Drain will do that for you.

Thank you for beating me to a quick reply thumbs up

For all with questions about installation and capabilities, please come forward.
Buttons ARE toys
Zentek wrote:
Thank you for beating me to a quick reply thumbs up

For all with questions about installation and capabilities, please come forward.


Thanks for making this! I ordered one last night.

I do have one question though. You say on the site, "You can safely assume that the current taken on the 5V is always divided by two to know the current taken on the -12V rail."

I'm not sure if that means to divide the needed 5v load by 2, and that's what will be drawn from the -12v rail, or if the current being used by the 5v is whatever's being drawn from -12v divided by 2. That's a confusing question to explain in writing so:

If I have a module that needs 125mA -5v, is it drawing 62.5mA from -12v? or is it drawing 250mA?
Zentek
Buttons ARE toys wrote:
Thanks for making this! I ordered one last night.

I do have one question though. You say on the site, "You can safely assume that the current taken on the 5V is always divided by two to know the current taken on the -12V rail."

I'm not sure if that means to divide the needed 5v load by 2, and that's what will be drawn from the -12v rail, or if the current being used by the 5v is whatever's being drawn from -12v divided by 2. That's a confusing question to explain in writing so:

If I have a module that needs 125mA -5v, is it drawing 62.5mA from -12v? or is it drawing 250mA?

5V/125mA needed by the module will draw around 62mA from the minus 12V rail.

It seems that I should rephrase that explanation on the web site !
Maybe : "You can safely assume that the current taken on the 5V will take half as much on the -12V rail."
Thanks for pointing out the fuzziness. thumbs up
JAO
Zentek wrote:

Maybe : "You can safely assume that the current taken on the 5V will take half as much on the -12V rail."


A little diagram really helps to drive the point home. A simple data table should suffice. thumbs up
Sleipnir
I just wanna jump in and thank Zentek for the No Drain.
IMO people should be using it even if they have other 5v available.

This scope shot is from the pitch CV of an ES FH-1, using its internal 5v converter to power a Linnstrument (which is a pretty hungry piece of kit).

I was hearing extra harmonics - it turns out it was giving me a free (and unwanted) bit of FM.
The scope shot looked virtually identical when using jumpering the FH-1 to external 5v and using the 5v available on the Trogotronic bus board (which I believe also pulls from the +12 rail).

Below is with the FH-1 jumpered to external, using a Klavis No Drain (yes, scope settings are exactly the same):


It wasn't too much power drain on the overall system supply (2028mA of 4500mA used on the +12), it was just poor conversion, I guess.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group