MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

utune - level of intuitive playing
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tubbutec  
Author utune - level of intuitive playing
ketem13
I'm about to replace my Intellijel uscale with utune as I'm looking for experiment with microtonal scales and tuning.

The thing I found very nice in the uscale is the easy way to add or subtract note within a push of a button. I wandering if I can do the same with utune ?

another question - is it possible to use regular 12 tet scales ?

Can I use the utune to integrate between max msp to my modular? - sending cv for example ?

thanks!
tubbutec
Hi
The µTune can not add or subtract notes via button push, mostly because it does not have dedicated buttons for this. You can however use a CV-in to transpose.

You can of course use 12TET, it is even the default scale after startup

I don't know very much about max msp and how it interfaces with the world. If MAX msp can send midi, then µTune can receive and output this. Currently you could use note and/or pitch bend commands for this, midi controller messages will be supported in the upcoming update as well.
ketem13
tubbutec wrote:
Hi
The µTune can not add or subtract notes via button push, mostly because it does not have dedicated buttons for this. You can however use a CV-in to transpose.

You can of course use 12TET, it is even the default scale after startup

I don't know very much about max msp and how it interfaces with the world. If MAX msp can send midi, then µTune can receive and output this. Currently you could use note and/or pitch bend commands for this, midi controller messages will be supported in the upcoming update as well.


I understand it cannot add or sutract notes via push button, but is it possible to add or subtract note via the screen ?

let say I have an indian scale with 7 note. can I- while it sending cv to 1v/oct of an osc, to subtract note or add note or it is not possible at all ?

Can I send cv of different scale from the two outputs ?
can I change between scales that are in the utune with cv ?

Thanks
tubbutec
Quote:
I understand it cannot add or sutract notes via push button, but is it possible to add or subtract note via the screen ?
let say I have an indian scale with 7 note. can I- while it sending cv to 1v/oct of an osc, to subtract note or add note or it is not possible at all ?


By 'adding' a note, do mean changing the pitch / transpose (one note up, one note down)? Or do you mean add a note to the scale?

Transpose can currently only be done via CV-in, but a menu option will be added soon. See: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=207946

If you mean: Add a note to the scale, this can be done in the scale editor.

Quote:
Can I send cv of different scale from the two outputs ?
can I change between scales that are in the utune with cv ?

This is a commonly requested feature, but currently not possible
ketem13
tubbutec wrote:
Quote:
I understand it cannot add or sutract notes via push button, but is it possible to add or subtract note via the screen ?
let say I have an indian scale with 7 note. can I- while it sending cv to 1v/oct of an osc, to subtract note or add note or it is not possible at all ?


By 'adding' a note, do mean changing the pitch / transpose (one note up, one note down)? Or do you mean add a note to the scale?

Transpose can currently only be done via CV-in, but a menu option will be added soon. See: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=207946

If you mean: Add a note to the scale, this can be done in the scale editor.

Quote:
Can I send cv of different scale from the two outputs ?
can I change between scales that are in the utune with cv ?

This is a commonly requested feature, but currently not possible


Sorry for my insistent but I want to be sure I understand my option so I will ask :

Let say I have a raga of 7 note that goes from c 2 to c 3 with other note in between such as minor 2 p4 p5 etc.. . can I subtract from 1 ch all the note apart of the root, the p5 and the oct, and in the second ch to have all the 7 note perhaps apart of 1 note. ?

is it also possible to send different cv to the two ch ? let say one ch get a cv of en envelope time of 3 sec and the other get slow sin lfo ?

Thanks
antonriehl
You can definitely remove notes from a scale by using the scale editor. It is a slower process than using something like the intelligel, but the power of the editor is worth it.

Here is the "incomplete" manual - https://tubbutec.de/files/uTune-user_manual-v.1.00.pdf
Section 4.3 discusses using the scale editor, which allows you to take the existing scale, and modify the distances between notes, but also lets you disable the the specific intervals you want to "turn off" (like, limiting a 12-Tet scale to just a pentatonic, or something like that)

You can definitely both use both channels of the module with two different inputs (meaning, you could use two different CV inputs, or even 1 midi, and 1 CV input, or anything similar), however, in the current version you are limited to one scale for both channels (as far as I understand it). I read a rumor somewhere that we will have separate scales for different channels in the future though...
ketem13
antonriehl wrote:
You can definitely remove notes from a scale by using the scale editor. It is a slower process than using something like the intelligel, but the power of the editor is worth it.

Here is the "incomplete" manual - https://tubbutec.de/files/uTune-user_manual-v.1.00.pdf
Section 4.3 discusses using the scale editor, which allows you to take the existing scale, and modify the distances between notes, but also lets you disable the the specific intervals you want to "turn off" (like, limiting a 12-Tet scale to just a pentatonic, or something like that)

You can definitely both use both channels of the module with two different inputs (meaning, you could use two different CV inputs, or even 1 midi, and 1 CV input, or anything similar), however, in the current version you are limited to one scale for both channels (as far as I understand it). I read a rumor somewhere that we will have separate scales for different channels in the future though...


Thanks for your Helpful answer!
tonymasiello
As things stand right now, you would need to load a scale that includes all notes, inclusive for both channels. Assuming you have control of the pitch data going into each channel, you would simply 'not play' the notes you did not want to include for a given channel. If you are using some kind of random to generate pitch data, then what you want is currently not possible, but does seem to be on the radar for future updates.

ketem13 wrote:
Sorry for my insistent but I want to be sure I understand my option so I will ask :

Let say I have a raga of 7 note that goes from c 2 to c 3 with other note in between such as minor 2 p4 p5 etc.. . can I subtract from 1 ch all the note apart of the root, the p5 and the oct, and in the second ch to have all the 7 note perhaps apart of 1 note. ?

is it also possible to send different cv to the two ch ? let say one ch get a cv of en envelope time of 3 sec and the other get slow sin lfo ?

Thanks
ketem13
tonymasiello wrote:
As things stand right now, you would need to load a scale that includes all notes, inclusive for both channels. Assuming you have control of the pitch data going into each channel, you would simply 'not play' the notes you did not want to include for a given channel. If you are using some kind of random to generate pitch data, then what you want is currently not possible, but does seem to be on the radar for future updates.

ketem13 wrote:
Sorry for my insistent but I want to be sure I understand my option so I will ask :

Let say I have a raga of 7 note that goes from c 2 to c 3 with other note in between such as minor 2 p4 p5 etc.. . can I subtract from 1 ch all the note apart of the root, the p5 and the oct, and in the second ch to have all the 7 note perhaps apart of 1 note. ?

is it also possible to send different cv to the two ch ? let say one ch get a cv of en envelope time of 3 sec and the other get slow sin lfo ?

Thanks


Oh thats a bummer..
Hopefully it will be change in the near future..
ketem13
I just got my utune
Iv'e got a question regarding the gate output.

I play note via the midi in and the cv out goes to an 1v/oct of an osc.
I want that every time I play a note I will send a gate out to trigger an envelope.
How can I do so ?

Thanks
Phil999
of course it should output a gate when you play a MIDI note. Maybe try another cable?
ketem13
Phil999 wrote:
of course it should output a gate when you play a MIDI note. Maybe try another cable?


It also should output a gate when a note is plat from the cv in input ?

Anyway - it doesn't happen in both cases.

I'm using version - 1.02, hw - 18 .

Thanks
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tubbutec  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group