MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Looking to replace Power supply.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Looking to replace Power supply.
tomatoKetchup
Hello Wigglers,

I recently bought a 2x84 HP Eurorack suitcase fitted with this particular power supply:
https://reverb.com/item/12266191-mean-well-eurorack-modular-synthesize r-power-supply

As you can see looking at the power rating specs, it's not great for eurorack systems... Only 0.5 A available on the -12V rail, you can't really expect to fit two 84 HP rows of modules whose current draw adds up to less than that. And 5A on the +5V rail when I don't need it at all...

So I'm looking to replace the power supply, but I can't really find something that would fit, and most eurorack PS available out there are sold as a kits with bus boards and all the additional stuff that I don't need, and for at least €150.

I was hoping I could get something with at least 2A on both +/-12V rails (I don't need any +5V) for maybe around 50 bucks. Been looking at websites like Mouser and Farnell but with no luck (they all seem to have so little current available on their -12V socket).

Does anyone have a suggestion (I'm based in Europe and would like to buy something coming from here)?

Thanks.
Mungo
tomatoKetchup wrote:
Only 0.5 A available on the -12V rail, you can't really expect to fit two 84 HP rows of modules whose current draw adds up to less than that.
There are many racks where 500mA of -12V is more than enough for two rows (6U). But you must have done some planning for your rack and realise it isn't enough, its best to plan ahead like this before problems appear.

tomatoKetchup wrote:
I was hoping I could get something with at least 2A on both +/-12V rails (I don't need any +5V) for maybe around 50 bucks. Been looking at websites like Mouser and Farnell but with no luck (they all seem to have so little current available on their -12V socket).
To get down to a price that low you're looking at a DIY linear supply. There are other brands of enclosed switching supply which do offer symmetrical output currents but you might need to consider larger supplies up to 3A or 4A or using two single rail power supplies to find more options. A more realistic price target for such a supply gets above the price of a Doepfer PSU3 (which might not be enough current for your plans).
jamos
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Condor-MCBB-75W-A-Triple-Output-Open-Frame-Li near-DC-Power-Supply-Module/132793211976?hash=item1eeb179c48:g:z5sAAOS wAvpbqHmR:sc:UPSGround!97405!US!-1:rk:23:pf:0
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1