MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla clone panel availibility.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Buchla clone panel availibility.
julian
I feel like i should remind people that i have most (all?) of the panels that EMS is out of.

I know its a bit of a spammy post, but there have been a couple of times when people have been "I just didn't know - I've been waiting on this one forever!"

Here are a couple of the ones i have in stock right now, as in can pack and ship today -

Buchla style 208, screen printed -



Buchla style 259, screen printed -




Engraved 245s will be back next week (i have them engraved right now, i just need to mill them) -



Printed 281s will also be back next week (i have 10-off milled, and i will print them next week) -



Printed 277s ill do at the same time (although ive not yet cut the metal for them) -



292c are out of stock, but theyre not a quick seller, so ill just make another for stock when i get a chance -



Ive also got a couple in the pipeline that EMS do carry, but i will have them in cnc engraved, on the anodised metal that i use, which some people prefer. These to include the 296 285, and 207. These are all engraved, just have not yet been milled.

Anyway, there's your public service announcement over. Again, its kind of spammy, but, like i say, not everyone knows that these are actually available, so my hope is that its mutually beneficial! : )

Julian

(i know ive cross posted this to facehook also... !)
weedywhizz
Thanks for doing this. Is there a possibility to get the scewholes countersunk ?

Cheers
Steffen
julian
weedywhizz wrote:
Thanks for doing this. Is there a possibility to get the scewholes countersunk ?

Cheers
Steffen


The reason why i dont do them -

I cant automate it on the CNC machine, so i would have to do it on a manual tool (drill press).

...which would be entirely possible, but its such a DIY-friendly job, that ive always passed it onto the end builder.

There is also another minor reason -

Its not so important with silver panels, but its a pet hate of mine when the countersink on black panels is too deep, and you get that bright silver halo around the screw head. There are all sorts of ISO standards, but, for my own personal builds, if i ever countersink, i have the fastener in my hand, and do the job according to the actual part at hand, not some spec sheet.

As an example, last week i "forced" someone to send me some fasteners for a (non-buchla style) panel from overseas, so i could countersink his panel to the exact fasteners that he is using - i mean i could have just gone by numbers, but this way it will be spot on.


....but the main reason is that i think its a diy friendly job!

I do the bit that other people can not do, and leave them to do the bits they can do! : )
weedywhizz
Yes I agree. I was just a bit to stupid to get them done correctly last time I ordered a MUC panel wink
I‘ll definitely need a few 292c panels later. I don‘t like the fact to only have 1 in my system.
julian
There was some interest in 292s over on facebook also, so maybe i should get them done?

Ive not had many requests for them before, but your interest is the 2nd today, which, considering i think ive sold 3x292 ever before, is significant! : )
rampy
Make that a third person interested in a 292c panel thumbs up
Peake
Julian also has great blank panels for DIY and filling empty system spaces!
julian
Peake wrote:
Julian also has great blank panels for DIY and filling empty system spaces!


Thank's Mike.

Next week, if i have time, im going to do a tiny batch of "novelty" blanks.

(nothing ground breaking - just a bit of fun)

Will post up here when i have some results.
julian
rampy wrote:
Make that a third person interested in a 292c panel thumbs up


Seems i should probably print a batch then?
meatcliff
I also have some of Julian's blanks and they're great. A novelty blank I would like to see would be the easel weasel chillin' at the bottom of the panel with usual edge markings cool

I'm also in favor of not counter sinking holes on diy panels for the same reason. In the US at least I've found the head size on flat head metric hardware to vary a lot based on where I'm getting it (now I am a regular at MSTC and they are amazing). Even if you don't have a drill press, a counter sink bit on a tap handle can do the job to get a perfect fit.
julian
meatcliff wrote:


I'm also in favor of not counter sinking holes on diy panels for the same reason. In the US at least I've found the head size on flat head metric hardware to vary a lot based on where I'm getting it


Finally! Someone who does not treat what im saying with suspicion!

People tend to treat datasheets as fact, but for physical dimensions, they are not always correct.

I'm reluctant to say as much any more though, as, if someone believes one thing, 100%, and then you say something in contradiction to that - well you cant have two conflicting truths...

Cheap screws, churned out in the millions in china (etc) are not always going to be to spec, but, sadly, contradicting a datasheet just looses you credibility rapidly, so i tend to keep quiet now! : )

The pactec PT10 is a classic one - how many midibox SID units or x0xb0x units are there with a gap at the bottom of the front panel, because someone has used datasheet values for their panels, rather than actually measuring the physical object - you can sometimes even see the gap in photos : (

Anyway, ill be quiet again now, for fear of loosing credibility!
julian
Engraved 207 (onto brushed and anodised) -

Pailo
a 281 would serve me so well. I have a 245 panel from you, and
its great. Love the work and the look.
julian
296 all done -

julian
and the 285 -

julian
Small number of 281s back in my shop -



http://thebeast.co.uk/?product=buchla-style-281-panel-screen-printed

(note, this is still the same pantone matched ink - its just its dark outside here right now, and its a rubbish indoor photo!)
J3RK
Your panels are beautiful! Nice work!

On the screw / countersink thing... The solution is simple. Use socket or button cap types!!

You might say, but it won't match my other panels.

To that I say, it's time for a re-screw!

This is fun!
julian
Thank you : )

My personal favourite is fastener is a nice stainless Allen cap. I actually dislike countersunk, but I understand they are required in some instances - and matching in with existing panels is a valid "instance"

I actually purchased a countersinking tool for a specific job only last week from a specialist. 100degree angle to match the application. I ssupect many people would not even realise that fasteners came in different angles, let along what angle the screws in their draw were!

(most metric are 90 degree - who knows what my state side cousins get up to!)
Pailo
Order in!! This is great I can finish my last two modules.
I ordered your 245 panel and a blank before and they both look great.

Thanks Julian.
julian
Engraved 292c back in -




I think that's the whole lot (that the pcbs are easily found for) available from either myself or EMS now?

If there are any missing, let me know, would you?

Thank you.
livefreela
257? Still waiting in one I ordered from ems a year ago - my lasertran temp is quite sad
julian
livefreela wrote:
257? Still waiting in one I ordered from ems a year ago - my lasertran temp is quite sad


You want a 257 ?

Just working on it now. End of tomorrow if all goes well....
julian
screen grab from cad -

ryangaston
A 257 panel is music to my ears smile
julian
Cool!

I would have made them before - i just did not know people needed them.

There is no point in me overlapping with what EMS has in stock, but anything that they are out of, im happy to cut.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group