MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[Available] Bits - 4U Bit Crusher/ Waveshaper
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author [Available] Bits - 4U Bit Crusher/ Waveshaper
CLee
Currently for 4U, Euro is planned.

Bits is a 12bit bit crusher based on the Teensy 3.2.

Bits page on clsound.com

Bits on synthCube

Bits on Modular Addict

$54 includes the 2 PCBs, Panel, and a dual 100k pot (not available in the US)

Bit Depth variable from 12 to 1 bit
Sample Rate variable in 2 ranges Audio and Sub Audio (S&H)
Variable Wave Shaper morphing 8 patterns
Manual Low Pass Pre Filter
Output crossfade from DAC to Lowpass Filtered output
The input and output are DC coupled, a switch adjusts for bi-polar or positive only inputs.
Stereo Line Input and Output (MIXED TO MONO)

All controls are VC with "Attenuverting" CV IN

here's a quick phone video (this is old, but referenced in the comments below, so I'll leave it here)

Revok
This is really cool. Is the wave shaper morphing between the 8 patterns at ~27 seconds?
ashleym
As they say, bits is bits.

I should be uneasy about using micro controllers in 4U, but I’m not. Looking forward to adding this to the backlog.

Feel free to ignore me but if there were no 3.5mm sockets, would everything shuffle up to get more Serge spacing?
cygmu
ashleym wrote:

I should be uneasy about using micro controllers in 4U, but I’m not. Looking forward to adding this to the backlog.

I couldn't have said it better. Or +1, or "like", or whatever the cool kids say nowadays.
CLee
Revok wrote:
This is really cool. Is the wave shaper morphing between the 8 patterns at ~27 seconds?

Yes, that's all with the Tri wave input
CLee
ashleym wrote:
Feel free to ignore me but if there were no 3.5mm sockets, would everything shuffle up to get more Serge spacing?

It's on a Serge 8 row grid. I'm more interested in processing outside sources than osc waveforms, so that's why the 3.5s
ashleym
Cool as. Thank you.
maxime.annah
I'm really interested as I search for a good bitcrusher for a long time!

but I don't understand the waveshaper and the DAC/LPF pot for the output ...

maybe a little block diagram will help
J3RK
Nice!
CLee
maxime.annah wrote:
but I don't understand the waveshaper and the DAC/LPF pot for the output ...

I hope to get a better video made soon, but if you look at the video around 27 seconds I'm turning the WAVE pot. It steps through a set of wave folding routines. Basically a straight linear transfer, linear to sine, linear to sine with phase shift, rectification, bit shifting and bit swaps in various combinations, morphing from one to another.

The DAC/LPF pot crossfades between the straight output of the Digital to Analog Converter and the DAC sent to a 12db/oct low pass filter. On the DAC side you'll get nice sharp stair-steps. Potted over to the LPF side takes some of the edge off the signal.
CLee
One interesting use of waveshaper...

The Bits module has a sub-audio sample rate range. Input a waveform into it and you'll get a series of CVs you can use as notes. A saw wave gives you a series of ascending notes. Varying the WAVE pot will change the note patterns
CLee
the bad producer
jawdrop
J3RK
Indeed jawdrop

That’s exactly the sort of thing I need...

Bit-ish foldery. The sort of thing that none of my circuits do. The sort of thing I need maybe two of.
ashleym
Fook me. Brilliant. All that without modulation. With the unit doing all sorts of things, it is the perfect high density patch programmability Serge 4U unit. We are lucky to have this.
CLee
Thanks ashleym!

I've updated the OP with a link to the project page and price info
FatRocky
I´m almost ready with my Bits build. But i need to place the Teensy pins ( and of course, install the firmware with the Arduino)

One question: Do I follow this same procedure as with the Orgone Acumulator?
(including the SMD in the middle)? Asking because my Synth Cube kit didn´t come with the headers for that.

Thanks in advance
thumbs up

CLee
The module doesn’t use any of the SMT pins.

I keep forgetting to make a note of that for people.
FatRocky
CLee wrote:
The module doesn’t use any of the SMT pins.

I keep forgetting to make a note of that for people.

Great

Thanks

thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1