MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

dammit!!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author dammit!!!
wetterberg
very frustrating

Have you ever had a patch you've been dying to tweak out to and record but haven't had the time to properly get to?

This is my BEST patch EVER and I haven't had a second to myself all week.

grrrr!!!! d'oh! Dead Banana
scozbor
yes!

I have an awesome patch at the moment, or so i seem to remember!

I discovered the sound just as i was about to switch off the modular about 5 days ago.

I hope it's still the same when I go to record it!!! seriously, i just don't get it
felix
This happens to me all the time and I just shut off the modular and fire it up again the next night and record it then. Works out well.

I've had a few times where it seems the noise loop I left in the Tyme Sefari isn't quite the same, but the noise loop that I have usually isn't something that couldn't be easily created again. Everything else doesn't sound any different, I don't even really notice a need for a significant warm up period (maybe a minute tops).
GCF
felix wrote:
I've had a few times where it seems the noise loop I left in the Tyme Sefari isn't quite the same, but the noise loop that I have usually isn't something that couldn't be easily created again. Everything else doesn't sound any different, I don't even really notice a need for a significant warm up period (maybe a minute tops).

Does your TS save recordings between uses? Mine has always started fresh each time I turn it on. But I may be misunderstanding what you're saying.
wetterberg
...and now it seems some more work has dropped in. No rest for the wicked. Working nights for the lose.
johnnymad
that happens to me all the time. some times i'll leave a patch the same for a week until i have time to record it.
dkcg
I missed many cool patches, at least I like to think they were cool because I have no real proof. I added a portable recorder to the setup, so if I can monitor something, I can record that too. Helps from missing those moments you're sitting there thinking, I wish I was recording this because all the circuits just synced into a melody/song/beat/whatever, and there it goes away...sigh...I wish I recorded that. hihi
wetterberg
yeah, I have the zoom right here, too... but when the "patch" demands a full-length performance, then it gets a little more tricky.

funny though, it seems feedback patches are easier for me to work with... one would expect the opposite?
felix
GCF wrote:
Does your TS save recordings between uses? Mine has always started fresh each time I turn it on. But I may be misunderstanding what you're saying.

It seems to, although the recording that's there on power on seems to be different. Almost as if there was some "bit rot" or something.

The buffer is definitely not empty after a power cycle, that is for sure.
GCF
felix wrote:
GCF wrote:

It seems to, although the recording that's there on power on seems to be different. Almost as if there was some "bit rot" or something.

The buffer is definitely not empty after a power cycle, that is for sure.

Oh, yeah. To clarify, I didn't mean fresh as in empty. To me it always just sounds like white noise or such every time I start it up. But it has never resembled the previous time's recording.
felix
Sounds about right. I think the parts where there was silence remains the same (silence), but the rest is fairly grabled.

Then again, a lot of the loops that I end up leaving in there are practically noise anyway, so I might just be remembering them incorrectly. I've never actually done a quick test. i'll give that a shot.
brandon daniel
That sounds about right for what would happen if he's not intentionally zeroing/clearing the memory on power-up. Modern volatile memory can actually hold data a fairly long time without power, so you'll get exactly as you describe "bit rot" if you turn it off for awhile and power it back on without zeroing all the buffers out.

Could be interesting to experiment with how the length of the power-off impacts the quality of the loop that's left in memory.
spbaker
hmmm... i gotta throw my 2c in here, i really look at my modular as an organic instrument and tend to leave it on for a few days before recording anything, coming and visiting it, making small adjustments, taming some frequencies here or there, but letting the electricity settle into the circuits for a few days, beyond just warming up, like re-writing its neural pathways thru repetition of the signal but giving it room to evolve. if i record without doing this the sound seems young and unformed, maybe getting a bit too esoteric here, but as i said just my 2c confused
felix
Quote:
if i record without doing this the sound seems young and unformed, maybe getting a bit too esoteric here, but as i said just my 2c

I'll buy that. I'm able to pickout recordings that I did that definitely sound "young" and un-vetted.

On the weekends, I'll usually have my system on all day, and once I've got something going, I'll visit it periodically like you mentioned.

However, I always turn it off at night, only because there's a noticeable increase in my power bill when I'm in my studio a lot. So if I'm not going to be in there for 8 hours, I'll shut it off.
parasitk
Scott, I look at the modular very much in the same way. I run patches for days on end as well without turning the modular off. I like giving it time to settle and me time to get the sound where I really want.
MrDys
Now that it's getting colder around here, I'm definitely noticing differences when it comes to my modules warming up. The M13 in particular sounds entirely different when cold vs. when warm.
spbaker
parasitk wrote:
Scott, I look at the modular very much in the same way. I run patches for days on end as well without turning the modular off. I like giving it time to settle and me time to get the sound where I really want.

cool so i'm not crazy w00t ... @ felix yeah i know what you are saying re power bills, but i turn off the amp & speakers leaving the modular & efx & laptop that don't really suck that much, but i don't have a monster case eek!

great thread!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1