MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Distortion... is overused
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Distortion... is overused
Panason
Trilo wrote:
Your mom.... is overused.
She hangs out with yours and told me you still live with her!

I'll leave you guys to lock down the thread, just remember next time you dial up that distortion: it's bad! Rockin' Banana!
Trilo
Panason wrote:
Trilo wrote:

I live with mommy because I decided I want to be cool and become a EDM/dubstep/trap/[insert current trending genre] producer, working outside the box, and I need those pricey distortions and synthies yo!
Dcramer
BugBrand wrote:
thevegasnerve wrote:
Panason wrote:
I have been getting laid..

give us some examples. ...

Umm, NO!

we're not worthy
thevegasnerve
Panason wrote:
Trilo wrote:

I'll leave you guys to lock down the thread, just remember next time you dial up that distortion: it's bad! Rockin' Banana!

You probably love pouring that weed killer in the concrete cracks too, don’t you? Dead Banana seriously, i just don't get it
ambientnoise
Say that to the noise guys..
Moskowitz
Now it is clear why people on muff wiggler feel so superior to gearslutz...
slumberjack
got baes is nice with it's distorted kickdrum. would play.
Funky40
Reese P. Dubin wrote:

everything is overused because there is just too much of everything

panasons "submit" button is overused !
we should start to discuss this finally

All the music with overused distortion won´t reach me if i don´t want to,
but panasons oversuse of the "submit" button does.

oh well, i couldn´t really read the thread, cause panason was the first person ever here at muffs that made me use my "ignore" button.

anyway, i might soon start the panason haters club, cause its just fun to do so........ lol negativity you know, jo.....i´m too a punk, zen anyway........i indeed grow on negativity too hihi

ahh wait, some negativity is just stupidity.......just wrongly declared........panasons declaration was not very precise..........he must post thru a distortion pedal me thinks lol
orangehexagon
Funky40 wrote:

Slam dunk. I love how Muffs people like to complain about Gearslutz, but honestly, there seems to be a lot more useful information and constructive conversation happening over at Gearslutz.

It was mentioned earlier, but I feel like it needs repeating... the harmonics you can get when you take the time to dial in distortion can create some amazing new dimensions to the sound.

There's just too much of everything nowadays... its just up to you to choose what you listen to. I personally am a bit tired of aimless, soft/pretty, modular ambient music, esp on Youtube... but as a result I've stopped clicking on the videos that look like that (i.e. hazey instagram filters etc. etc.)
dubonaire
orangehexagon wrote:
Funky40 wrote:

Slam dunk. I love how Muffs people like to complain about Gearslutz, but honestly, there seems to be a lot more useful information and constructive conversation happening over at Gearslutz.

Unfortunately I largely agree with you. Not sure it was always thus. I think there is a general view that 200 page "have you done a null test?" pissing contests happen here, but happen with less frequency and abuse.

The other thing is that most, but not all, people on here actually own the gear they give opinions about. My gut feel is that a good proportion of the expertise given on some of the subforums on gearslutz is imaginary.

Still, if I am interested in new production hardware I will definitely use Gearslutz as a resource, it is the best, just paying caution to comments like "really opened up the highs".
thetwlo
ambientnoise
Is there any other way to achieve distortion without distortion pedals on modular?
Jarvus
I would say subtle distortion through various stages of an audio chain is what gives life to audio signals. Pre amps, filters, tape, vcas etc
ambientnoise
I’m thinking more of distortion synthesis techniques.. like wavefolding, waveshaping, phase distortion, etc..
Chevron87
A song without distortion is like a party without alcohol
synthpriest
Go ask Sherman. angry
felixer
Chevron87 wrote:
A song without distortion is like a party without alcohol

so you need to get drunk to have a good time? how sad ...
about distortion: as always there is a time and place for everything. i hear some stuff that is so overdistorted you can't even hear the music.that is bad. i never use distortion on everything (as in mastering). tradidionally it has been used on guitars, basses and organs. it generates certain overtones on sound that lack them. so don't use any distortion on ,say, cymbals ... distorted vocals are a trademark of industrial. and for me it only works if it is done heavily. just a bit makes it sound like it is badly recorded. maybe used to mask mistakes made there? if the music is good you generally don't need distortion, but maybe a better tune!
blinosynth
I think a good amount of distortion is fine in some part of the song
Everithing distorted no
.. well depends
Scories
ambientnoise wrote:
Is there any other way to achieve distortion without distortion pedals on modular?

I Always choose saturation over distortion, especially tape saturation.
skunk_hour
I think heavy distortion is overused. People have figured out that what makes a lot of old recordings stand out is the kinds of distortion on them, but they go about it the wrong way, overcompress, use stompboxes, etc. What's better is a whole lot of layers of very subtle distortion, which add up to a more complex, unique sound.

It's a lot more trouble, unfortunately.
felixer
ambientnoise wrote:

lot of ways: you can distort the mixer. or the interface (assuming you use a computer) or you can get a valve/tube amp and drive that hard.
monads
ambientnoise wrote:

The upcoming module from Schippmann "CS-8 DST2"?? It's a distortion module based on his ebbe und flut design.
snercle
hmm distortion should be used like notes, you should use all different types, and at different volumes, i reckon.
also like notes if you always use the same one your music will be boring.

i don't use distortion effects really but i do overload through various bits of analog gear for nice harmonics (distortion)
WisdomWriter
solaris wrote:
reverb abuse is even worse

i agree with this.

also with the extreme levels of distortion. ill use it to add subtle harmonic content. but destroying a sound, to me, defeats the purpose of creating a sound.
sizone
snercle wrote:
hmm distortion should be used like notes

yeah, people use way too many goddamn notes too.

look, skinny puppy last rights, best album ever. like, 40 or 50 notes over the entire hour and most of them bass.

virtually any jazz album, worst album ever. all the notes, just a gushing septic tank geyser of indiscriminate, extraneous, wanky, wanky notes.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 2 of 3