MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

CGS Hall Of Fame
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author CGS Hall Of Fame
the bad producer
Given that we've recently seen the end of the old CGS site and Ken has retired, how about a thread of pictures of all the amazing things we've built using Ken's PCBs and circuits!

Cheers Ken! Guinness ftw!

(Should mention Elby is a great resource for CGS build info now!)

I could probably post pages of stuff, but here is (I think) one of my first - and one of my favourite - CGS builds, a massive sequencer for rearranging poetry! (Although it did end up on a tour of Germany playing acid house...)

[img]17 2007 1 by Machine Music, on Flickr[/img]
CLee
Here’s what’s in my modular at the moment

Siri
This is a wonderful idea Charlie!

I didn't know about the CGS website being down waah

CGS is still the way to go for me. thumbs up
pirx
Most of first panel of my Tangerine Synth are CGS modules (2 x DUSG, 2 x SSG, Triple Wave Folder, Wave Multipliers, Slope Detector, VCFQ Filter, 2 x Real Ring Modulator, VC Phaser, Spring Reverb). Still, there are more than twice as many PCBs in the backlog.

appliancide
Most recent (half CGS, and half Fritz):

"Marsha":

Second euro module that I ever built:

Knobs:

unrecordings
I'm going to have to come up with some photos. I've been a fan of Ken's stuff for a long long time. I'm currently building my second pulse buffer (CGS56) as the first one I made a while back is quite ugly, whereas this one is also going to have four passive AC Couplers - which will be a perfect partner to my Digisound VCO clones (which have 0-10V outputs rather than the usual +/-5V)

BTW if you go to www.cgs.synth.net it points you to archive.org which has a pretty good set of backups of the entire site with the image files
Rex Coil 7
CGS "Real Ring Modulator" ... went through several iterations of diode configurations including silicon diodes, germanium diodes, 5mm LEDs, rectangle LEDs, 3mm water clear LEDs, various JFET transistors and various combinations of all of those configured in different ways.

In the end landing on blue water clear 3mm round LEDs. Cuz reasons.

Cuz mojo. nanners

flx
Great idea for a thread! Bookmarked!

Looking at the Infinite Melody and Modulo Magic above, has there ever been a thorough explanation of their feature sets for people who can't figure that out by looking at the circuits? I've got both of those on my MARSH panel and while I've read Ken's web pages countless times and understand the basics of the modules, I still don't get what all of their knobs and sockets do or how to use them. I feel really dense, because I usually understand those things, but half of the time when patching, the results don't seem to correlate to what I've read should happen Mr. Green
drip.feed
The Bringer of Groove. Really regret selling it. I still have a SWAMP in my backlog.

flx
Oh yes! I bought the whole CGS trifecta from another wiggler at the beginning of the year, because I had 12U to fill in my wardrobe, and it has been a marvellous journey smile

nurbivore
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bok0aTKA2--/

(video, not image, but that's all I've got right now)

mostly CGS boards w/ LW panels. Dual proc, resonant eq (w/ vca and mixer), DCSM, DUSG, wave mults, and SSG/Noise/DTG. I've also got an NCOM board waiting for a panel.

Just great stuff all around. Even the old-school single-sided boards are a pleasure to work with. Definitely wouldn't have expanded into 4U without Ken.
jersupereq
Seem like the right place to ask, Where can I get a copy of the cgs unicorn, I'd love to put it on a panel of Ken's stuff I'm working on?
J3RK
I'll see if I can dig up some pics later.

I will say that my first PCB layout ever was a Serge Variable Q Filter clone, that I never would have gotten working without some help from Ken. Because that project was successful (and encouraging) I went off to do everything else I've done since.

I've had the pleasure (and good fortune) to learn from a lot of the wizards of the synth world over the years, and still today.

Side note: Charlie I love that sequencer!!!
the bad producer
Interesting variations on the panels CLee... Some really nice builds here, that tangerine synth is amazing pirx, I used to think about a similar thing but my brain exploded when I considered actually building it! zombie I still have the pegboard but I use it for hanging boxes, actually I have a lot as my GF uses it for her sculptures

This is mostly CGS (apart from the NTO's)

@fix, I'm just building a Modula magic with a new panel design with lots of LEDs which I think helps explain how it works (hahah I reckon, I'll probably be none the wiser... But great to watch on a scope!)
unrecordings
Here's a bunch of mainly CGS stuff from around 2004. The lemons are wired up with zinc/copper electrodes to create voltages for the Sequential Switch to step through

fuzzbass
These are all very impressive and beautiful. But nobody is showing us the guts. Here are my sorry-ass contributions, complete with underbelly. I think I built these in 2014. The first one sets some kind or record for panel wiring density, which I made worse by installing disconnects on all of it.

Cheradenine
Ok then, fronts and guts nanners It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quad slope

Wave multiplier, SSG & digital noise

Quad slope, Peak & trough

VCFQ, Serge noise & SSG

seal_cobblr
Here are the results of my first venture into DIY.

Various CGS, four Thomas Henry 555 oscillators, a Clee quantizer and Tom Whitwells spring reverb circuit.

Panels are fine plywood with a acrylic plate underneath to ensure stability.

[/img]
beatcleaver
Though I love the thread idea, would you people please stop posting this stuff smile

I thought I was cured of gas ...
cygmu
Lest anyone be tempted to build a touch sequencer:

It's really nice once finished, though.

I certainly would not be doing any of this stuff if not for Ken's site and PCBs, and also his help via one or two emails along the way. Thanks Ken!
medbot
Here's mine. Aside from a few Stroh VCOs, the LPG, and the spring reverb, this is all CGS. Like a lot of you, CGS has been an incredibly valuable resource to me on my journey through SDIY, and while I'm sad that it seems a little like the end of an era, I'm glad that everything has been preserved and that most of the boards and information Ken produced will remain available in one form or another.

I'd wager that this subforum would be a lot less exciting without CGS as a foundation, and it makes me wonder if there would be less Eurorack floating around, too. How many designers got their starts pouring over the CGS pages for schematics and ideas? Would anyone have PM'd for Maths if Ken hadn't kept those old Serge designs available online for free?

the bad producer
Nice medbot - might have to pick your brains on the mods hihi
the bad producer
Ah yeah some really nice builds here! It's peanut butter jelly time!
Revok
seal_cobblr wrote:
Panels are fine plywood with a acrylic plate underneath to ensure stability.

This looks great!
Rex Coil 7
fuzzbass wrote:
These are all very impressive and beautiful. But nobody is showing us the guts.
Hey now, hold up .... I'll have none of that ... I was actually the first one to post gut shots!

Respect my authority!!! Bow before me ... avert thine eyes from the ametuerish presentations of filth shown above ... know my mighty gut shots! I demand it!

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
CGS "Real Ring Modulator" ... went through several iterations of diode configurations including silicon diodes, germanium diodes, 5mm LEDs, rectangle LEDs, 3mm water clear LEDs, various JFET transistors and various combinations of all of those configured in different ways.

In the end landing on blue water clear 3mm round LEDs. Cuz reasons.

Cuz mojo. nanners

"No guts" .... indeed!

I swear I get no respect around here.

NO RESPECT AT ALL I TELL YA!! Rage!

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2