MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Touring / traveling with modular. Carry on + Personal item?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Touring / traveling with modular. Carry on + Personal item?
infinitedubdelay
Hey all,

Was hoping I could receive some advice from people more experienced than myself.

I have a 7U 104hp Intellijel case + the gig bag for it. My next purchase was going to be a Make Noise 104hp skiff which will fit the last of my modules.
I have plans to tour with this setup, I was going to put the skiff (wrapped in bubblewrap / foam) in a 24 inch tall backpack, as well as the rest of my clothes for padding This is fun!. The backpack would be my personal item, and the intellijel gig bag as my carry-on.

Backpack for reference

The dimensions of the skiff are 21.5" x 5.14" x 2.75" so that backpack seems
to fit the bill, but I realized it would be too big as a personal item which are usually 16-18"

So I'm trying to figure out how I'd bring the skiff + my 7u 104 hp case with me without having to check anything in Dead Banana

Is it possible?

Any ideas or input would be much appreciated.

Edit: Got personal item and carry-on mixed up
minimamoralia
hey, that might work. on some very tiny commuter planes you may have trouble with the Intellijel fitting in the overhead, but maybe you know that you won't be on that kind of plane. most full size planes should fit that ok.

your personal item usually needs to be able to fit underneath the seat in front of you though, so the size of your backpack worries me a little.

if you can swing it, one checked suitcase may be worth it if you can bury/bubble wrap your skiff in that with some clothes. if you're doing anything longer than a 3 day trip you may want some more storage space, and a suitcase, carry on case, and backpack can set you up nicely.

i work as a touring sound engineer, and i fly way too much. i did 3 5-week tours right in a row this summer, and i had my 6U 84HP A100 case with me as my carry on (just to keep myself sane on days off!). it's pretty small, but i still had to shove it under a seat one day on a tiny puddle jumper. i had a beatstep pro and some other little things in a large checked suitcase.

wait, does that Intellijel case have a hard lid? it better..
southberry
If you are in Europe, it will not work. Or you'll need to avoid low cost flight and promoters are not always excited to pay more. My solution has been to build a DIY road suite case (12U / 80HP) that can be inserted in a bigger suite case with my personal stuffs . The bigger case is the max cabin size
Don't think about spare sockets or tee wink I general full my own pockets, and jacket pockets with cables. I take a jacket with a lot of pockets even if it's 35° haha.
jwm
i did almost this exact thing on a short tour with a 6u 104 and a skiff and honestly, if i could go back and do it again i would reconfigure the 6u to make it work so that i didn't need the skiff at all. not only is keeping up with more gear every night annoying, but with all my personal stuff and a skiff in a bag under the seat on the plane, there was not where to put my legs so i had to sit kinda crooked for hours, which is a drag because i'm kind of a tall(ish) guy. by the end of the trip it just felt like it was a burden to have done it that way.

but, ymmv.
ersatzplanet
It was well worth it to me to buy a big Pelican case with wheels and a handle that could fit my rig, cables and effects in with lots of foam around it, and check it in.

The gate crew can reject your rig for many reasons. If you are in the middle of a connecting flight and the overheads are already filled, if you rig is heavy (there are weight limits on many airlines), if your rig LOOKS like it is checkable (looks like a road case), if it LOOKS heavy, if they are having a bad day, etc. There is nothing worse than having to decide at the gate whether you are going to let them check it there, or not take the flight.
monads
Tip Top Audio Station 252?
Summa
monads wrote:

Is only 9u 84hp and imho underpowered I had one for a while but since you can't close it patched it's pretty damn useless for a touring musician.

I have two live cases one is a 7U 84hp and the other a 12u 101hp both have been great for the last couple of years and I never been rejected at the gate.
Dcramer
Ive had no trouble getting my Mantis (in the backpack) onto planes, and I think the Intellijel would be no problem either, but that meant my other carryon item had to be very small. I pack cables and other things with my clothes. thumbs up
monads
Summa wrote:
monads wrote:

Is only 9u 84hp and imho underpowered I had one for a while but since you can't close it patched it's pretty damn useless for a touring musician.

I have two live cases one is a 7U 84hp and the other a 12u 101hp both have been great for the last couple of years and I never been rejected at the gate.

The new power specs are good and agreed the original power specs was underpowered. Yes, the can't close patched is a bummer but it was a design compromise to make more compact. It might be good to check out the new ADDAC foldable/modular cases. Those look like you can fold/close patched up.
DruidTek
monads wrote:
Summa wrote:
monads wrote:

Yes, the can't close patched is a bummer but it was a design compromise to make more compact.

You can close them when using Tendrils. hihi

GmbH
http://nonomodular.com/lander-two/ offers a 9U 84HP case which can be closed patched and its dimensions even meet budget airlines' restrictions. Apparently there is a 104HP version coming soon(ish), but pricing may be rather steep (>1k)
operator808
Your "personal item" is a bit large and will raise a red flag if your flight is full or if gate staff is having a shitty day.

One thing you haven't addressed is weight. Nowadays a lot of Airlines have weight restrictions on your carry-on. I fly Emirates most often and theirs is a pretty strictly enforced 7kg. A lot of other int'l airlines have between 7 and 12kg as carry-on allowance. Not taking this into account beforehand usually leads to arguments at the gate with people refusing to gate check their carry-on and fighting about the exorbitant charges for being overweight.

I fly about 30 different sectors each year across 4 continents and I do that with a self-built 6U x 84HP rack inside a Pelican as carry-on + small personal item (macbook, headphones) staying well within each airline's size restrictions. Total wright really depends on what modules I've got in there but I rarely if ever hit the 7kg mark. With domestic travel, this stuff rarely matters, but for int'l flights, you probably wanna look into housing one of your racks into a sturdy flight case like a Pelican Storm. Also, this goes without saying, but always have good travel insurance.

xx
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1