MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

36hp DIY case for Rainmaker.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author 36hp DIY case for Rainmaker.
pmarchitect
After months of searching for a 36hp Case and finding nothing, I’ve decided to make my own. I’ll get rails from synthracks.com.

What I don’t know about is a power supply. I want it to go through the side of the case - unlike the 4ms Row Power for example.

Does anyone know a small power supply that would be suitable? And hopefully cost effective. I’m based in thr UK FYI.

So annoying that the 4ms Pods only go up to 32hp. Dammit.
flts
pmarchitect wrote:
Does anyone know a small power supply that would be suitable? And hopefully cost effective. I’m based in thr UK FYI.

Are you willing to DIY the power supply as well, or are you looking for a pre-made one?

If DIY is OK, then small power supply + cost effective + UK = Frequency Central's Power or Microbus: http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/?page_id=1758

You'll have to source a power connector (+ switch if you want one) and an AC-AC wall wart (not the more common AC-DC type), but as you're in the same country as the designer / manufacturer of the PCBs, I'm sure he'll have some tips on where to buy one.

Alternatively, get a 42hp case (like Erica Synths pico) and add eg. some kind of mixer / amplifier / CV generator in the remaining 6hp next to the Rainmaker hihi
pmarchitect
flts wrote:
pmarchitect wrote:

Are you willing to DIY the power supply as well, or are you looking for a pre-made one?

If DIY is OK, then small power supply + cost effective + UK = Frequency Central's Power or Microbus: http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/?page_id=1758

You'll have to source a power connector (+ switch if you want one) and an AC-AC wall wart (not the more common AC-DC type), but as you're in the same country as the designer / manufacturer of the PCBs, I'm sure he'll have some tips on where to buy one.

Alternatively, get a 42hp case (like Erica Synths pico) and add eg. some kind of mixer / amplifier / CV generator in the remaining 6hp next to the Rainmaker hihi

Thanks for the info, but I am looking for a pre-made one. I have no idea about electronics and frankly making a small wooden box is kind of pushing the boat out in terms of my DIY skill set!

I know I can just get a 42hp but for just one module it seems silly to spend like 200 on a case with a load of power connectors etc. I just want something simple, small (36hp) and hopefully elegant to house it.
flts
Understood, that's a fair point!

I'd guess that given cost of all the parts, effort etc., trying to hunt some kind of used 42hp case in BST might turn out cheaper or same price than premade power supply with DIY case, unless you're really set on exactly 36hp and doing it yourself. Eg. The Row Power is well over 100 euros alone and you'll need at least the wall wart with it, plus all the rails + woodwork etc.

Maybe find a local friendly guy -tm- who's willing to put together something like the FC Power for "beer money" (parts cost is not that much) and help you install it to the case?

This is another cheap enough option that the total cost wouldn't be too high: https://www.thomann.de/gb/doepfer_a100_mnt.htm ... however, seeing the power requirements for Rainmaker, it might be a bit underpowered.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1