MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Does the Circuit Abbey Unify Accept Line Level Inputs?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Does the Circuit Abbey Unify Accept Line Level Inputs?
bharris22
Hi Everyone,

I am debating between the Circuit Abbey Unify and the Pittsburgh Modular Lifeforms Mixer. Does anyone know if the Unify accepts line level inputs (I know it can output at line or modular level)? I would like to mix in some external audio sources to my modular sound for monitoring. Other than these two units, can anyone recommend a 4-6 input mixer for around the same price ($250) that accepts (and outputs) both line and modular signals (must include a headphone output, too)?

Thanks!
JohnLRice
I'd have to try it to be 100% sure but I'm 99.99% sure it would work fine. cool Line level signals are typically lower level then modular signals.
bharris22
Thank you very much! I assume when say that it should work fine, you mean that the line level signal would not be too low (or can be adjusted to match the modular level signals with the input level knob)?
JohnLRice
bharris22 wrote:
Thank you very much! I assume when say that it should work fine, you mean that the line level signal would not be too low (or can be adjusted to match the modular level signals with the input level knob)?
Well, to mix line level and modular signals together you'd likely have to turn up the line level channels fairly high and back off on the modular level channels, but the Unify is a very quite mixer (meaning not noisy) so you should be fine.

I own three Unify mixers, two in one system and one on another system and I like them a lot. thumbs up
bharris22
Excellent - thank you very much!

What I am trying to do in the most efficient manner is have an onboard mixer with headphone output into which I can also input line level (and possibly guitar/instrument level) signals. While I think the Pittsburgh Modular Lifeforms mixer could do all of this, I have read some reviews where the build quality is questioned. On the other hand, the Unify has generally great reviews (such as yours). I am thinking, then, that it may make sense to get the Unify for my mixing/headphone needs, and then supplement with a separate guitar/line level input module to input a modular level signal into the Unify.
JohnLRice
bharris22 wrote:
What I am trying to do in the most efficient manner is have an onboard mixer with headphone output into which I can also input line level (and possibly guitar/instrument level) signals.
For guitar input you'll probably want a separate module to boost the signal since guitar's typically have an output much lower then line level. Look for an "envelope follower" or "external input" module as these usually have enough gain for guitars. Or Circuit Abbey makes a special guitar input module if you want it to match your mixer? hihi I've never tried it though . . ..
bharris22
Thank you!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1