MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla 100 clones: 158, 180, 140, 156, 106, etc. DEMOS
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next [all]
Author Buchla 100 clones: 158, 180, 140, 156, 106, etc. DEMOS
diophantine
I've just skimmed this 191 info & looking forward to seeing how it progresses. I won't be able to work with mine for the next couple of weeks, but am happy to test things out with mine sometime...
guitarfool
For anyone in the Baltimore-Washington are (close to BWI airport), I'll be performing on my La67 system on Saturday November 3 2019 (see info HERE).
Peake
Thanks diophantine! Have a great gig guitarfool!

Earlier in this build thread saw a photo of the rear of a 100 Series case...with a 2U module...in its own metal case/shield...with holes for trimmer adjustment, exactly as christie and I were planning to do with copper foil...moving past a sheet into a doing a box around the rear, a damn Faraday Cage.

Might this be a 191? Edit: Yes, it's definitely a 191. It's in this system.




Peake
And for 190 builds for those wondering earlier, I only mounted the transformers on the PCB once and it was noisy so that was abandoned to follow the case mounting styles seen in photos of vintage cases. Doesn't hurt to keep the transformers away from the PCB.
lasesentaysiete
Peake wrote:
Thanks diophantine! Have a great gig guitarfool!

Earlier in this build thread saw a photo of the rear of a 100 Series case...with a 2U module...in its own metal case/shield...with holes for trimmer adjustment, exactly as christie and I were planning to do with copper foil...moving past a sheet into a doing a box around the rear, a damn Faraday Cage.

Might this be a 191?


I seem to remember that it is a 191. Or maybe the photo I saw was a different one but similar.

In any case, there is also this photo of the back of a 191:

lasesentaysiete
guitarfool wrote:
For anyone in the Baltimore-Washington are (close to BWI airport), I'll be performing on my La67 system on Saturday November 3 2019 (see info HERE).


Excellent! Try and get some audio from the gig. I would love to have a listen thumbs up
Peake
191:

-Schematic says R42 should be 100K 1%. It's a 68K in the BOM. Unsure if intentional/beneficial. Changing it after having calibrated might require a re-do
-I'm getting the poles set at 7V with both R42 and R26 as 100K 1%...your build may vary
Peake
Adhesive-backed copper foil on manila card stock prior to being grounded and secured to the 191 module. Should have left it on its backing and cut it to fit; would have been far more attractive.

lasesentaysiete
Peake wrote:
191:

-Schematic says R42 should be 100K 1%. It's a 68K in the BOM. Unsure if intentional/beneficial. Changing it after having calibrated might require a re-do


This seems like an error on my part. I cannot find any notes regarding why this value would differ from the posted schematic, although the original "rough" schematic has 68k crossed out and replaced by 100k.

I will update the BOM.
christie
On the 111, could folks with a built module and a scope measure the peak-to-peak voltage level on inputs and outputs? Wondering what typical is - my module is outputting a crazy hot signal - like 8v p-p.

thanks
diophantine
christie wrote:
On the 111, could folks with a built module and a scope measure the peak-to-peak voltage level on inputs and outputs? Wondering what typical is - my module is outputting a crazy hot signal - like 8v p-p.

Will try to test tomorrow or this weekend if someone doesn't beat me to it. I am assuming you're sending it signals from 158 and/or 144 modules?
christie
158 would be best, thanks. Interested in output level from two known sine inputs.

thanks again
lasesentaysiete
christie
I cannot check right now, but 8v pk-pk too high. The module functions otherwise?
christie
The 111 is out of the system right now for verification and testing.

One question I have is about R14 & R19. On your copy of the schematic they are specified as 10k and 10R. In your BOM they are are specified as both 10R. On the fluxmonkey site, and in that 111 thread there's discussion about them both being 10k. How did you decide 10R at both positions?
lasesentaysiete
10r and 10k will both work. R14 & R19 affect the 1k trimmers below them. I suppose that the 10R value gives a finer degree of detail, but with multiturns it does not make much of a difference in practice. The 1k trimmers should end up around midway through their cycles.
guitarfool
Okay, here's a dry run of what I'm going to attempt tomorrow at the Electronicafest

[s]https://soundcloud.com/user-558302218/kling-und-klang[/s]

It's all La67 stuff until 06:45, when the 200r (black knob stuff only) starts in.
I had to label all of the cables going between keyboards / cabinets for transportation. If I am successful with re-assmebly at the venue, it should go smoothly. Otherwise it will sound a bit different eek!
lasesentaysiete
guitarfool
You got some nice sounds there! Have fun at the show thumbs up
Peake
Have fun Guitarfool!

A couple of pages ago someone was asking after a solution to different levels on their 158. Today I installed a generic J201 and a J201 marked as having high Idss into a 158's sine shapers and the one with the higher Idss had noticeably greater output. When I swapped another high Idss J201 in the other osc, both levels were pretty close.

I think the schematic's note about using selected JFETs with 0.5 Idss is not only about sine purity but to also get similar levels. Might be worth trying out.
fluxmonkey
the always awesome Dave Brown has done some work on the 111 (my PCBs), confirmed most of the earlier discussion and suggested some improvements: https://modularsynthesis.com/buchla/111/111drm.htm. Thanks so much, Dave!


christie wrote:
The 111 is out of the system right now for verification and testing.

One question I have is about R14 & R19. On your copy of the schematic they are specified as 10k and 10R. In your BOM they are are specified as both 10R. On the fluxmonkey site, and in that 111 thread there's discussion about them both being 10k. How did you decide 10R at both positions?
Peake
Taking it for granted the "flat" noise output of the 160 is what is wired PCB to PCB to the 165 noise in?
lasesentaysiete
Peake wrote:
Taking it for granted the "flat" noise output of the 160 is what is wired PCB to PCB to the 165 noise in?


That is what I used.
Peake
Thank you.
Peake
Apologies if it's already been asked and answered:

Does anyone have any experience firing the 165 with a 281 output pulse? I don't have any 100 controllers with the +15V gate.
guitarfool
My 2 281r's don't trigger it (except sporadically), but my 280r and 259r (mod oscillator CV out) do.
Peake
Thank you!

Edit: If you're not getting any reaction from the 165 relays when feeding +15V to the pulse ins check the base and collector of Q11, should do what's indicated on the schematic. If there's nothing happening there, check the side of R29 connected to the diode.

I have a 165 working with Q18 at 160 and 162 HFE, could not find anything lower, seems to be okay.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next [all]
Page 32 of 33
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group