MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DPO still going strong in 2018?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author DPO still going strong in 2018?
Glitzerstrahl
I understand this is not a scientific question and personal opinions will certainly play a valid role, but while shopping around for a complex oscillator I of course came across the Make Noise DPO (again, as if we don't all already know its there).

My question with so many 'alternatives' (though not exactly the same of course) in the market place today, is the DPO still an interesting choice in 2018?

Some have floated the idea that with a waveshaper and 2 STO's you can pretty much achieve the same results, while other have pointed to recent releases like the Instruō - Cš-L as being more 'modern' and feature rich...

What are your thoughts? (And yes, totally non-technical and un-scientific personal opinions are totally fine!)

---

A bit more background. While idling on modulargrid instead of making music I realized I have all the necessary pieces (except the DPO) to put together a shared system, and now I'm thinking of building one just to explore it. What I'm trying to decide is if I should go for the DPO or augment/change/explore with other options...
djd_oz
My advise is to get one second hand, if you don't like it you can always sell it on, it's a unit that still sells pretty well in the second hand market.
lisa
The ”more modern” claim is bull. Other than that all of the things you are saying is correct, imo. There are many alternatives, everything comes down to personal taste.
nectarios
The DPO is a brilliant osc. Other (newer) modules being around do not make the DPO any less brilliant.

It has a very specific sound that the other options, don't really offer. Also some handy features on the interface it self, follow circuit, internal linear and exponential FM and what is one of the best wavefolders around...which has a massive impact on its sound.

Get a used one and play with it.
If you don't like it, sell it and move on.
R.U.Nuts
That's like asking wether a Fender Stratocaster is still a good choice as a guitar in 2018...
brother32
I've had one for a year and just bought my second one yesterday seriously, i just don't get it

Obv there is other different oscillators in the market but if you specifically want to make a genuine make noise shared system then it's your only option wink

I still need to pick up an erbeverb to complete mine but I don't believe in reverb

Mr. Green
BrokenBo
R.U.Nuts wrote:
That's like asking wether a Fender Stratocaster is still a good choice as a guitar in 2018...

we're not worthy
hawkfuzz
The DPO is dope and will be dope. Get it if you want it. The Insturo does seem incredible as well but the DPO is still dope. O
Luap
Does 2018 matter? Either you like it, or you don't thumbs up
LTodd
Glitzerstrahl wrote:

Some have floated the idea that with a waveshaper and 2 STO's you can pretty much achieve the same results

You might be able to get some approximate territory with this, but overall it will still be a long way off. DPO has tons of options for self modulation without additional patching. Also, the STO does not have attenuation for the exponential FM. DPO has for both lin and exp. Other than a sine wave, the STO won't have the same additional (clean) wave shapes as the DPO. The variable waveshape on the STO is great, but not the same.
I have a DPO and 2 STOs, never approach using them the same way.
th0mas
I owned one and sold it.

Regardless of year it has a specific sound. If you like it you'll love it and if not you won't. Listen to demos and follow your heart. Buy used.

It is a module where the makers set the control range from 0 to way past extreme, so often you only need like 5% of the modulation range to make a nice sound.

edit: just to add what I'm trying to say. Lots of people compare complex oscs by features, and I think that's a mistake. Listen to demos. When 9/10 demos sound a certain way, it's because the module may easily provoke that type of sound. You can get other sounds out of it but it might not be where the module naturally excels and leads you.
hermbot
Glitzerstrahl wrote:
Some have floated the idea that with a waveshaper and 2 STO's you can pretty much achieve the same results, while other have pointed to recent releases like the Instruō - Cš-L as being more 'modern' and feature rich...

No, I don't think two STOs and a wavefolder gets you there. There are host of features that would be lacking: modulation bus, fm bus, ocillator follow, saw outputs, triangle outputs, the wavfolders are on the STO are different, the shape and angle control, weak sync, LFO range (though you can do it on the STO with an offset), the strike input, the fold control acting as a VCA...

The STO has a few things the DPO doesn't, like the sub output and the different wave folder.

Having a DPO and an STO... that's the ticket!

The Instruo looks cool but Eurorack is the definition of the Cult of the New, so take it all with a grain of salt.
gentle_attack
The Instruo is very cool but hot damn is that thing packed tight. Hopefully it comes with tweezers (and that's coming from some one with minituarized Mutable modules).

The DPO offers things that the Instruo doesn't, and vice versa. When you are talking comppex oscillators, for me at least, it's an open ended exploration, it's not like "oh I'm going for XYZ sound that I used to make on my Juno."

Both modules afford TONS of opportunities to build crazy, self patched FM'd waveshaped madness. I would say you can get totally out there with either one.

You could build a lifetime of sounds with just a Maths, DPO, and VCAs/ModDemix. EVEN in 2018.
hyena
nectarios wrote:
The DPO is a brilliant osc. Other (newer) modules being around do not make the DPO any less brilliant.

It has a very specific sound that the other options, don't really offer. Also some handy features on the interface it self, follow circuit, internal linear and exponential FM and what is one of the best wavefolders around...which has a massive impact on its sound.

Get a used one and play with it.
If you don't like it, sell it and move on.

yes, the waveshaping\wavefolding part of dpo is so pleasant that i find it hard to substitute it with others. i'd rather add a different one than swap them. (in fact i have the hertz donut along with the dpo, for linear thru zero fm and a totally different flavour of waveshaping)
3pand
Just wanted to echo what everyone else is saying. The DPO is fantastic and while it definitely has its own "sound" the range of things you can get out of it will only be limited by your imagination and patching abilities.

The STO is great but two of them plus a waveshaper will not replace a DPO.
burnn_out!
The only make noise module I haven't sold and probably will not sell, at 36u that's gotta mean something
fjoesz
the setup of the thing is very clever, so if you dig the sound, buy it
windspirit
Was jamming with the DPO last night and got some sounds out of it that I have never heard before, so even though it has a characteristic "sound" it doesn't stop surprising me. I think compared to other takes on Buchla complex oscillator clones/ inspired modules the DPO sounds much glitchier and harsher, the FM kind of screams at you instead of giving you those nice bell tones. The waveshaper takes the bassiest of notes and turns them into machine gun shots of clicks and then back into a throaty howl. For me this is definitely a plus but if you have the option you might consider visiting a shop to try the alternatives out in person and see which one has a "character" that you like.
moremagic
never played a dpo, and a sto was my first vco n its still going strong

however, double sto would be pretty weak imo compared to a dpo: the dpo gives you hard and soft sync, the follow circuit, and LFO Mode (!!) which a wavefolder and double sto wouldnt give you

if you want to save the HP (my main reason to not have a dpo) or the money (the other reason) id recommend you pair a sto with a different oscillator and a wavefolder -- the toppobrillo twf is amazing
Glitzerstrahl
First of all, thank you so much for all your replies. The willingness to help out at Muffs never ceases to amaze me!

Based on your responses I feel a lot more sure about the DPO.
It's true it takes up a lot of space, but I have to say I really like the it's 'sound profile'(?).
As someone pointed out, it'n not just the specs or the parts, but also how they are wired up to impact each other with or without patching.

Time to go shopping!

Bananallama! Never maintain cash savings again
3pand
Glad to hear you've made a decision you feel good about. If you already feel good about the sound of the DPO before even having one, once you get one you will only enjoy it more and more as time goes on I'd say. Like so many other MakeNoise modules (Morphagene especially comes to mind), it is truly an instrument in its own right.
FrogStar
I love my DPO, but it took me more than a year to rally grok it. Give it time. Promise yourself you won’t BST it for 24 months and I’m certain you’ll love it for life.
Zerstorte Zelle
I love mine. It’s definitely going strong over here.
geetee
Sold my DPO to fund a 0-coast, thinking it could replace a DPO/dynamix/contour. I was wrong! Sold my 0-coast and bought 4xSTO's to try polyphony with the intellijel shifty (that didn't work out too well). Now i'm buying the DPO back, but keeping the STO's! atleast 2 of them haha. the point of the story is, just get the DPO, it's awesome.
Misk
I love my DPO and it continues to show it's versatility in my rack SlayerBadger!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6