MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Budgie
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author Budgie
Rex Coil 7
Welsh band. The bass player sings, his voice being in the upper tenor register has been compared to Geddy Lee. This song, "Breadfan"
is aimed at those that pretty much worship money. I simply dig this type of music especially from that era. For a while I could have sworn the vocalist was a woman since it nearly sounds like Janis Joplin.

Circa 1973, here's Breadfan by Budgie, from their third album "Never turn your back on a friend".

Budgie has been listed as an influence by many hard rock and metal bands. Metallica has been known to do a few live covers of "Breadfan" over the decades.

Just some excellent 70s hard rock. Simply love it!

Guitar Singer Drums!
Rex Coil 7
Same song, different cut, fun video.

m0n0mania
Fuck yeah I saw them in Southend in 1976!
Burke Shelley broke a bass string which impressed me greatly at the time.
mdoudoroff
Their first five records are all quite strong. Number six is decent. Falters badly thereafter.
Cybananna
I really like them. I see the Rush comparison but I like Budgie much better.
a100user
A stable during my late teens, saw them every time they play the old Guildford Civic Hall.

thumbs up
ModHiisi
yeah man,

this was first released as a single around the same time as the first album (it was also on the U.S. pressing of that album):

Rock 'n' Roll!
Rex Coil 7
Right on, mens. Post Woodstock power trios ... just seriously bad ass stuff. Some people bitch and moan about '70s rock but it's easily my favorite type of rock music. So much of it was not radio friendly, which is the best kind!

The last of "the good stuff" was probably depicted by Pat Travers ("Go for what you know") where you had a combination of blues based "acid rock" guitar with "new wave metal" guitar which was started by the likes of Eddie Van Halen. To me "Go For What You Know" was the amalgamation of 70s psychedelic rock guitar and "New Wave Heavy Metal" (EVH style) guitar playing. It's like that album ushered out the old style and ushered in the new style all in one album. End of an era, start of an era ... all in one.

Ok, "Black Betty" (Ram Jam) is on the web radio ... "Woa Black Betty .. bam a lam" ... gotta jet.

Rockin' Banana!
JohnLRice
Good stuff, Rex! thumbs up

I might have mentioned Priestess to you before? They are a younger/newer band but I wouldn't be surprised if they were directly influenced by bands like Budgie and contemporaries? Here's a couple favorites you might like:

dubonaire
Ha! Budgie! Album covers by Roger Dean. That was a long time ago.
gbiz
Blimey. Not a band i'd expect to see get a mention on Muffs smile

I saw them a few times in my teens. One of those british rock bands that always seemed to be touring. The last time i saw them they were the supporting act to the late great Rory Gallagher.
umma gumma
I have heard ppl mention Budgie before, but never really heard their stuff

GNR "welcome to the jungle" sounds a lot like that 1st budgie track, @ the intro. all that's missing are the air raid sirens grin
Rex Coil 7
umma gumma wrote:
I have heard ppl mention Budgie before, but never really heard their stuff

GNR "welcome to the jungle" sounds a lot like that 1st budgie track, @ the intro. all that's missing are the air raid sirens grin
It wouldn't surprise me or most anyone (really) if it turned out that the song "Breadfan" or "Budgie" themselves influenced GnR. They've been a rather heavy influence on many bands and musicians over the decades.

As far as something one wouldn't expect to hear on this forum, hey man, it's all rock -n- roll at the end of the day.

cool thumbs up
MindMachine
For some reason reminds me a little of The Kettle by Colosseum.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1