MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Choices, which overpriced poly should I buy?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]

What should I do
Buy a Waldorf Quantum
23%
 23%  [ 47 ]
Get a Moog One
22%
 22%  [ 45 ]
The OB-6 is the way to go
30%
 30%  [ 60 ]
Don't be stupid, save for retirement
23%
 23%  [ 46 ]
Total Votes : 198

Author Choices, which overpriced poly should I buy?
calaveras
So my 50th is coming up in a couple months.
As is my habit, I am going to buy a thing for myself for my birthday.
This being half a century, it is going to have to be a big thing. Both because it's the traditional north American male thing to do. And to defray any midlife/seasonal depression.

My current leanings are;
DSI/Oberheim OB-6. Quite a lot for a 6 voice synth. But I've longed for an OB-X for decades.

Moog One, the skinny one with not so many voices, because I can barely play more than 4 notes at a time anyway.

Waldorf Quantum. I'm a massive Waldorf fanboy. I've got all their softwares. And several of their hardware and modular pieces. Never gotten around to owning one of their actual keyboards though. This one seems to be a monster.

Or maybe 50 is a nice sharp clean breaking point and I should just give up on all this music shit and start plowing every red cent into my IRA.
sp1200
Voted OB. You could cover Moog sounds (mono) easily and more cheaply with another device. If you struggle with 4 keys just overdub in the DAW.
rean1mator
can't go wrong with the ob-6, thing sounds amazing. planning on picking up the moog hopefully soon after I sell some synths and when i was trying to figure out which ones to sell, the ob-6 didn't come close to that list.
lisa
No clue what's best for you but I voted Waldorf Quantum. A bit of a minus that it's not available yet (ever?) but it's incomparably more interesting and innovative than the OB or the One.
nuromantix
I would say the OB6 isn't even expensive for a polysynth, not exciting enough for a 50th present.

Moog price is a lot but I bet it sounds nice.

Quantum = the most interesting probably.

but IT DEPENDS WHAT YOU ALREADY GOT!
RedLab
For the same money as Moog One you can get OB-6 and a Minimoog Model D.

So OB-6 for bang for the buck. Moog One if money isn't an issue. And Quantum if you're feeling adventurous I guess.
thevegasnerve
I voted retirement as I don't have those synths and would be envious if you got those for your 50th bday. (had mine last year). OB-6 would be sweet to have and most affordable (cant believe I am saying that)..
tioJim
lisa wrote:
No clue what's best for you but I voted Waldorf Quantum. A bit of a minus that it's not available yet (ever?) but it's incomparably more interesting and innovative than the OB or the One.

Innovation isn't a prerequisite for a good musical instrument. A smart phone probably but not necessarily so for a musical instrument. Not that innovation in musical instruments is a bad thing, far from it, but it gaurantees nothing. The piano has remained unchanged for centuries and yet still it can sound beautiful and inspire the world's greatest musicians to master it. Propellorheads' Re-Birth was deeply innovative for its time but TR/TB emulations have far surpassed it since.

The other night I downloaded a hundred patches for my OB-6 from some dude who's good at making such things. So captivating and inspiring is the lushness of this instrument that it took me nearly three hours to explore them all.

That said I think it's way too cheap for a 50th gift. That should be something cripplingly expensive. Something so outlandishly dear that the only excuse is being a half-centenarian.

I think you know the answer .... smile

(And then get the Quantum and OB-6 a bit later, and probs the Q first as Lisa's not wrong - it does look like a beast and covers more bases than the others)
Angroc
Quote:
Moog One, the skinny one with not so many voices, because I can barely play more than 4 notes at a time anyway.

Don't worry about that. It's all about those sweet release tails! You could play with a finger at a time and still fully utilize all 8/16 voices.

So I voted Moog One. It's your Big Five-0, after all. w00t
peripatitis
The DSI one will have a new version next year, the year after that, etc it won't feel that special.
Whilst the Waldorf or the Moog will probably bring these companies to the ground (until they resurface and somehow manage to afloat economically once more) so their synths will be iconic and rare.

Oh or you could go with the retirement thingy...smile
lisa
tioJim wrote:
Innovation isn't a prerequisite for a good musical instrument. [...] That should be something cripplingly expensive.

I'd say that a massive price tag isn't a prerequisite for a good musical instrument either. wink
Muse FTW
OB6 isn't that expensive, especially if you go for the Desktop version IMO.

Hell, get an OB6 keyboard plus a desktop version and make an OB12.
sduck
I was debating a similar set of choices recently. My only real keyboard is a roland jd-800, which is over 25 years old. Technically I could afford a moog one, but given that I only have a very rudimentary set of keyboard skills, it seems like a bit of overkill. So instead I opted for that new novation keyboard controller, and a peak.
estin
i'd say a virus ti2, 76 more notes of polyphony than the Moog One!!!!

hihi

I voted OB-6 even with price being no issue.
dubonaire
Not that I think it is a bad thing necessarily, but the Waldorf Quantum is not a lot more than a controller for Waldorf's existing soft synths + granular sampler through an analogue low pass filter.
monads
Voted for retirement. But maybe you're set so purchase what you desire. Funny thing there was just a recent article about how much saved at 50.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/19/how-much-money-you-should-have-saved-b y-50.html
Panason
That's right, work your life away for retirement! confused

This thread proves that the OB-6 is practically free!

Gonna have to smuggle a desktop across the pond... the price difference for the DSI stuff here is unfair.
brokensolderingiron
calaveras wrote:
Or maybe 50 is a nice sharp clean breaking point and I should just give up on all this music shit and start plowing every red cent into my IRA.

I voted Irish Republican Army since you didnt offer the choise of buying gold which is much better then IRA, but buy them all, your only 50 once! w00t
gringostar
Obvious answer is all three.
Flareless
I voted OB-6. I'm hoping to own one of these beauties some day. Good luck with your choice. Please let us know what you decide!
tioJim
lisa wrote:
tioJim wrote:
Innovation isn't a prerequisite for a good musical instrument. [...] That should be something cripplingly expensive.

I'd say that a massive price tag isn't a prerequisite for a good musical instrument either. wink

Hold on a minute ... there's some pretty creative quoting going on there. More a stitch up than a mash up wink

I said a 50th birthday present should be "cripplingly expensive" not a good musical instrument
CF3
I voted retirement, but out of those three I'd definitely go Quantum. The other two would be boring to me in short order.
sduck
calaveras wrote:

When I turned 50, my wife bought us a dog. And it wasn't even a smart dog, or a cool dog, or anything. Just a tiny, dumbass mix that never even got housebroken. sad banana
Koekepan
I voted Quantum, for all the reasons mentioned above.

Still, I'm not sure. What about the Behringer DeepMind in module format? It's quite a little beast in its own right. Or you could get a Seaboard, or an Eigenharp ...
Blairio
Off piste, but I would get a Roland System 8 and an accordion. Learning the accordion will keep you busy when you retire . . . .
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Page 1 of 10