MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

LPZW.Modules Plagwitz mk2 mixer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author LPZW.Modules Plagwitz mk2 mixer
kay_k
So, I finally received the panels for it and assembled a few of them (and they work nicely), which means after the weekend I will ramp up production for the mark two of our first module.
It is a two mono bus mixer, not suuuuuper exciting, I know, but I want to show it to you anyway:

Block diagram:
http://leipzigwest.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/PlagwitzV2_Block.jpg

You can use each bus as one side of a stereo or A as main and B as an aux send. You can daisy chain them and combine two to have a 4 bus mixer. OOOOOorrrrrrrrrRRR you can have an 8 input two bus mixer with two modules.

On our website

the connectors and switches on the back do those things:
* add +12dB of gain
* select if both mix buses are effected by the mutes or only bus B. The buttons have this nice intermediate position were they already mute/unmute but not click in. This is really nice for dub sends to delays and reverbs.
* daisy chain two or more Plagwitz’ inputs to create bigger matrix mixers (X-direction, connects pre-normaled input)
* daisy chain two or more Plagwitz’ mix busses to have more inputs (Y-direction, connects post or pre normaled output)
* add a passive input extender to the Y input. We will be offering such an expander in 2HP with 4 ins per bus, where A is normaled to B inputs.

[EDIT] In case you wonder how to get those modules linked...
If someone buys a second module I will add the fitting cable for free. I just need to be asked. If you buy those modules from somewhere else I will send the needed cable for the cost of shipping.
The connector type is often called micromatch. It is 6 pins for the input link and 4 pins for the output link. I will also publish the pin out so you can make your own cables to link other modules into or from this
jox2000
looks great and handy. the big questions: where and when wink
will it be direct order, Schneiders doesn't list it?
(btw - i am very happy with the wk1 (aroom))
kathinka.
good job. what else is planned for the near future? wink
kathinka.
btw, the WK3 is interesting.
Futuresound
Looks very handy.

I'm always a bit surprised at how many different implementations of 'mixer' there can be.
TheRosskonian
Looks great. How do I get one in the USA?
kay_k
Hey folks thanks for the replies!

Availability: the first units could be shipped next week actually. I guess Schneiders will stock them soon.
Out of respect for their support I will not make direct sales in Europe at least in the beginning. I have no other distribution so everyone else can get one from me directly.
Price will be announced soon-ish
kay_k
Futuresound wrote:
Looks very handy.

I'm always a bit surprised at how many different implementations of 'mixer' there can be.

so true! I designed the mk1 when neither Doepfer nor Intellijel had their small mixers out. I just wanted a very small mixer for my drums. I haven't planned to make a mk2 until some people started insisting on it (external motivation is so energizing sometimes)
kay_k
kathinka. wrote:
good job. what else is planned for the near future? wink

actively working on 2-4 prototypes in the moment. I can't talk about them yet. And there is also the unfinished Schauburg Synth Voice I showed off at superbooth (but that project went a bit cold tbh.)
kay_k
Heyo ..
the retail price is 100€ net + 19€ tax for all EU destinations.
EU sales will be handled by Schneiders Laden soon.
bedhed3000
Can this be used to mix CV, or audio only? I like using the Zlob Push VCA module to mix/route/mute LFOs and triggers. Plagwitz v2 looks like it would be even better than having two of the Push VCAs - plus it is waaay more skiff friendly.
kay_k
it is DC coupled, so yes.
The Pots are audio tapper type tho.
For the mk1 I made a few as linear too but I ended up reversing this because nobody bought them.
I would custom make a Plagwitz mk2 with linear pots if absolutely needed.

Also the mk2 is a PCB sandwich design, while mk1 was a single PCB. The mk2 is 4cm deep with power connector.
bedhed3000
kay_k wrote:
it is DC coupled, so yes.
The Pots are audio tapper type tho.
For the mk1 I made a few as linear too but I ended up reversing this because nobody bought them.
I would custom make a Plagwitz mk2 with linear pots if absolutely needed.

Also the mk2 is a PCB sandwich design, while mk1 was a single PCB. The mk2 is 4cm deep with power connector.

Thanks for the info! With the audio taper-style pots - does that just make it harder to dial in levels when you are working with DC signals?

40mm is just fine smile - Push VCA is 60mm deep so it's impossible to fit it over the power board in any of my cases, and like a lot of 2hp modules, it's hard to fit it next to certain modules.
kay_k
bedhed3000 wrote:

With the audio taper-style pots - does that just make it harder to dial in levels when you are working with DC signals?

sorry .. forgot to reply here.
yes basically you don't get 50% of a CV at half the pot travel but 10%.

It is also so that the Plagwitz mk2 is designed so that 100% pot travel is not 1:1 signal, there is some headroom to prevent clipping (gain <1) or it is actually louder in the higher gain setting with possible clipping (backside switch).
With the +12dB switch engaged you have 1:1 gain at about 3 o'clock pot setting
kay_k
finally available thru SchneidersLaden now.
Also the chaining cables, so if you buy two modules don't forget to buy the cable of your need with it.
jox2000
meanwhile, i have two in my small 2x84 case...
one serves as a main mix with aux send to a SBG and one as submixer.
i am not aware of another 4x2 mixer with individual mutes in 6HP.
its just great.
i would get another pair for my main case - but they are already sold out.
(maybe cause my jam buddy got 3... smile)

i will try the x and y options soon.

also the (aroom) wk1 and wk2 (i like the slew) are really versatile and handy tools.
kay_k
Thanks!!

Schneiders ordered another drop and I am making Plagwitz as we speak.
Hope to deliver before the festivities
BailyDread
I recently took delivery of a WK1 all the way from Schneiders (i'm in the US)... Build quality seems very solid and I'm very pleased. I know it's not this module but just wanted to chime in and give a +1 for this company.
kay_k
BailyDread wrote:
I recently took delivery of a WK1 all the way from Schneiders (i'm in the US)... Build quality seems very solid and I'm very pleased. I know it's not this module but just wanted to chime in and give a +1 for this company.

appreciated!
kay_k
Something I am using already and hope to be able to put out soon:

a passive sub mix module that chains into the Plagwitz 2HP wide
4 additional inputs per bus (A is normaled to B) - no mutes or pots tho.
How does this help? .. well for my rack: all Tiptop modules go into this extender since they have a volume knob already.
kay_k
So the passive expander is available
I will have to check w/ Schneider's if&when they will have it but for urgent cases: get it from me.

Price is going to be 59€ incl. VAT

2HP, 8 additional inputs / 4 per mixbus, inputs for bus A normal into inputs of bus B
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1