Cryptic Buchla 2019 FB post

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:40 pm

IMO the post was not exactly cryptic... they will probably bring back the 100 series (and not in Eurorack format).

Remember that @zthee reverse engineered the majority of the 100-series modules and created new board layouts for them:
viewtopic.php?t=194298

Given @zthee's work on the TTSH and the 73-75 Serge project it would be kind of crazy not to work with him on 100 series reissues. Much of the R&D is already done.

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

rkilman
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rkilman » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:14 pm

Those systems sound great! But the more I look at them, the less I want them. Don was right to look forward and not back. 100 sound with presets, midi, + extra Buchla magic TBD, that would get my interest. Point being, that the 100 was improved upon buy the 200, by the 200e. I think a better route to go is to look to his controller ideas, which are still ahead of their time, 20-30 years later. Make them USB or whatever to sell a ton, and create a 200e module to interface and they'd sell a boat load, and encourage users to move into Buchla 4U. Or better yet, make them midi and USB to satisfy everyone.

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:30 am

rkillman wrote:Don was right to look forward and not back.
:hihi: but wasn't he going around to various universities that still had 100-series, at some point, and offering to trade them new 200e systems for their old systems (which he was apparently still fond of)?

cheers

levelhead3
Common Wiggler

Post by levelhead3 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:41 pm

From a creative perspective sometimes simpler is better. Using limitations to spark inspiration is a time honored method (e.g. oblique strategies).

Even though I learned on and still worship the 200 series, there is something appealing about the straightforwardness of the 100 series. I think they'd be great for live improv work too. Tired cliche but sometimes less can be more.

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:50 pm

Yeah, I think the relative success of modular synthesizers in general shows that "backwards" might paradoxically be what many people are looking for.

Don's alleged comments about reissuing the 200 series – that's the old stuff, why would you want that, etc – made sense from his personal perspective, but the 200r clones probably had the net effect of expanding the 200e customer base.

100-series reissues could have a similar effect. It would be the "entry level" Buchla for a new audience. I would not expect presets or MIDI/USB in this system, just basic analog functionality at lower prices than 200e. From there, you can expand.

mutierend
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mutierend » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:12 pm

I hope you're right, sempervirent, but I'm feeling pessimistic about this one.

mathomas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mathomas » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:48 pm

I think a 4U non-e 100-series release would be brilliant, and if they can do it “cheaply” it might be a big win.

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”