MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

quadraphonic wav files player ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author quadraphonic wav files player ?
lucringeisen
Hi !

Please does anyone know about any soft player able to playback quadraphonic wav files ? I mean something simple everyone could use, no DAW
OR would anyone be able to make one without me having to sell a kidney smile ?

thanks in advance for any help !
peace
Luc
Phil999
if you have a quad or 5.1 setup, most media players should playback quad wav files.
ersatzplanet
What you want is the SparkFun Tsunami. It is an $80 PCB that plays up to 8 channels of CD quality Wav files off of a microSD card. It is Polyphonic (can play over 12 "tracks" at a time (that is 12 sets of up to 8 channels).

I just got the Tesseract Nutella Tsunami module (you provide the Tsunami PCB) and it works great. Basically you can program the 8-outs yo be mono or grouped in and config you want (5.1, 7.1, 4 stereo pairs, etc) all programed into a .ini file on the card so each card can have it's own configuration.

You trigger via gates, front panel momentary push buttons, or MIDI. Files can be played one-shot, only when gate is high, continuously looping and more. All programmed via the .ini file. The inputs can also be programed to be next file, volume, and other functions.

Which the Nutella/Tsunami you can have 2 different quad mixes playing at once and also have as many as will fit on the card queued up and ready. Track length is all on card size.

lucringeisen
Phil999 wrote:
if you have a quad or 5.1 setup, most media players should playback quad wav files.

thanks for helping !
what do you measn exactly by quad set up ? I only do have a multichannel soundcard .. when opening quad files in Audacity it opens a 4 channel mixer but the output is stereo and it does not seem to have mutlichannel outputs options.
Same VLC just plays back the wav in stereo and does not seem to have surround options .. ?
I read about the player FOOBAR2000, but I couldnt find yet the right component for mac to make it work with multichannel outputs
lucringeisen
ersatzplanet wrote:
What you want is the SparkFun Tsunami. It is an $80 PCB that plays up to 8 channels of CD quality Wav files off of a microSD card. It is Polyphonic (can play over 12 "tracks" at a time (that is 12 sets of up to 8 channels).

I just got the Tesseract Nutella Tsunami module (you provide the Tsunami PCB) and it works great. Basically you can program the 8-outs yo be mono or grouped in and config you want (5.1, 7.1, 4 stereo pairs, etc) all programed into a .ini file on the card so each card can have it's own configuration.

You trigger via gates, front panel momentary push buttons, or MIDI. Files can be played one-shot, only when gate is high, continuously looping and more. All programmed via the .ini file. The inputs can also be programed to be next file, volume, and other functions.

Which the Nutella/Tsunami you can have 2 different quad mixes playing at once and also have as many as will fit on the card queued up and ready. Track length is all on card size.

wow looks good and interesting thanks for sharing !! though I still need a simple SOFT player to recomend to anyone wanting to listen to my quad music prod. at home
lucringeisen
lucringeisen wrote:
Phil999 wrote:

thanks for helping !
what do you measn exactly by quad set up ? I only do have a multichannel soundcard .. when opening quad files in Audacity it opens a 4 channel mixer but the output is stereo and it does not seem to have mutlichannel outputs options.
Same VLC just plays back the wav in stereo and does not seem to have surround options .. ?
I read about the player FOOBAR2000, but I couldnt find yet the right component for mac to make it work with multichannel outputs

I just tried also with Quicktime, same, it just plays the file in stereo, and I could not find outputs configruration options
ersatzplanet
The main problem with Quad content distributed as a product for others to play on their home systems (unlike live quad) is that there are very limited number of people with a true quad system. Surround Sound is not Quad. The rear speakers in almost every surround system made are NOT the same as the front ones. They are designed for ambience and room sound and typically don't have the bandwidth needed for quad music. This is why the majority of Surround music title are live shows and the rear is for the audience and reverb. The speakers are typically smaller and they just don't sound the same. When you do a rotary pan through a typical surround system the quality of the sound changes when it goes through the center (usually optimized for movie vocal tracks) and the rear.

It is really a shame that this is the typical way it is. There is no technical reason the rear speakers have to be different, they just are in every commercial surround system I have ever seen sold. I remember, and owned a quad system back when they first came out. There were format battles for the Quad LPs made at the time, but the playback speakers and amps were at least balanced.
lucringeisen
I think I found a working one, installing right now, its called KODI
lucringeisen
ersatzplanet wrote:
The main problem with Quad content distributed as a product for others to play on their home systems (unlike live quad) is that there are very limited number of people with a true quad system. Surround Sound is not Quad. The rear speakers in almost every surround system made are NOT the same as the front ones. They are designed for ambience and room sound and typically don't have the bandwidth needed for quad music. This is why the majority of Surround music title are live shows and the rear is for the audience and reverb. The speakers are typically smaller and they just don't sound the same. When you do a rotary pan through a typical surround system the quality of the sound changes when it goes through the center (usually optimized for movie vocal tracks) and the rear.

It is really a shame that this is the typical way it is. There is no technical reason the rear speakers have to be different, they just are in every commercial surround system I have ever seen sold. I remember, and owned a quad system back when they first came out. There were format battles for the Quad LPs made at the time, but the playback speakers and amps were at least balanced.

if listeners find an extra pair of speakers laying around of more or less same power than the one they already have installed for their stereo set up it will do the job more or less, then maybe if they really like it they will just buy a second pair of speakers of same brand / power... in the end its only about buying 2 pairs instead of one.. was more worrying about how they can play it back if they dont have a DAW or a multichannel device, hopefully the KODI player will do the job I will post here if it works or not
dropthedyle
Reaper works well with multichannel audio... ( I use it to downmix my quad channel ambisonic recordings to binaural stereo mix.)
ersatzplanet
lucringeisen wrote:

if listeners find an extra pair of speakers laying around of more or less same power than the one they already have installed for their stereo set up it will do the job more or less, then maybe if they really like it they will just buy a second pair of speakers of same brand / power... in the end its only about buying 2 pairs instead of one.. was more worrying about how they can play it back if they dont have a DAW or a multichannel device, hopefully the KODI player will do the job I will post here if it works or not

If playback is you only concern then surround encoding is the way to go. Almost every Surround encoder I know allows configuration the speakers so just choose 4.1 or 5.1 and don't use the center front (and maybe the sub) and you have quad. Many encoders in the higher range allow the simultaneous encoding in multiple formats with graphical placement of the sound being translated to the output format (5.1, 7.1 etc). Of course many of the home theaters systems will not have been upgraded to have matching speakers in back, but there is a higher chance that the audiophile listeners will have done that. I used to do that in my rig with Mackie HR series speakers all round but it was way too much for movie watching and the back pair ended up going into my studio and were replaced.

A google search for "Surround encoding in DAW" coughed up this article listing some SS encoder plugins - https://sonicscoop.com/2018/02/08/7-indispensable-plugins-for-surround -sound-mixing/
Dilibob
I have gone 5.1 on everything I do, lot of options on playing it. Realistically the 5.1 normally only has something in the quad channels.
lucringeisen
Dilibob wrote:
I have gone 5.1 on everything I do, lot of options on playing it. Realistically the 5.1 normally only has something in the quad channels.

Please let us know about those options !! BTW I just found out Youtube plays multichannel too
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1