MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

on deathmetal
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author on deathmetal
kcd06
Interesting article on a study, found here:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/dissecting-the-bloodthirsty -bliss-of-death-metal/

I had an art teacher who claimed (more years ago than I really care to contemplate) that the best students in her classes were typically the metalheads; more creative, diligent in their studies and class participation, etc. My then preoccupation with Prokofiev, Shostokovich, and Copeland apparently didnt win me any extra points with her...
cycad73
Metalheads should totally dig Schoenberg's Moses und Aron... wink

I think the article is BS though; I'm inclined to agree more with your teacher.

Confronting oneself with intense/extreme expression actually sensitizes one to violence -- especially the violence within, the violence that attracts one and of which one is capable.

Noiseheads at least, in my experience are often hyper sensitive and intensely moral people, which goes along sometimes with depression. But psychologists know depressed people actually have a much more accurate view of the world. if you really know what hurting someone else means, I think you're a lot less likely to do it. you've already rejected all of the lies people tell themselves to anesthetize themselves to others' pain.
Panason
Quote:
best students in her classes were typically the metalheads; more creative, diligent in their studies and class participation, etc.

Well, being a good student doesn't mean you're not a psycho twisted

I don't think listening to death metal is particularly good for you but I suppose it's cathartic for a while and that has to be a big factor in why anyone would listen to that stuff.
The last time I listened to a DM tape it just made me feel ill so that was the end of my brief phase ( I was a teenager).
I don't even know what death metal lyrics tend to be about 'cause I could never make them out! lol - but it's probably for the best...

I think it's a byproduct of deep problems in modern society and a cry for help in a way.
neandrewthal
What I got from the article is basically: People experience positive emotions while listening to music they like and negative emotions listening to music they don't like. What does it have to do with Death Metal? Make me listen to modern country radio and I will feel rage and frustration. Someone who willfully does that won't.

Panason wrote:
Quote:
best students in her classes were typically the metalheads; more creative, diligent in their studies and class participation, etc.

Well, being a good student doesn't mean you're not a psycho twisted

I don't think listening to death metal is particularly good for you but I suppose it's cathartic for a while and that has to be a big factor in why anyone would listen to that stuff.
The last time I listened to a DM tape it just made me feel ill so that was the end of my brief phase ( I was a teenager).
I don't even know what death metal lyrics tend to be about 'cause I could never make them out! lol - but it's probably for the best...

I think it's a byproduct of deep problems in modern society and a cry for help in a way.

This is an example of someone listening to music they don't like and then drawing inappropriate conclusions about how it might affect others.
Esgal
I’ve played in many death metal (and other styles of extreme metal) bands over the years. I think what most people outside of the scene don’t realize is that lyrically, everything is a dramatization. That being a key method to discuss relevant topics in the world.

The tempo part is definitely an energy thing, but also consider the doom genre. It often creates the same kind of energy in fans, even though it is deathly slow!

I’m sure I’ll have more thoughts on this later, as I just skimmed the article while sitting in a parking lot
Panason
neandrewthal wrote:

This is an example of someone listening to music they don't like and then drawing inappropriate conclusions about how it might affect others.

It's not inappropriate- it's just a thought you don't agree with. I'm not saying that death metal should be banned - but it is definitely banned from my house!
kingmaxwell
I think Neandrewthal has it right. This is casual observation and self reporting to make a vague claim that doesn't help to understand death metal or emotions.

I'm glad randos got $5 or whatever to listen to "hammer smash face" though, that seems like a useful outcome.
Esgal
Panason wrote:
neandrewthal wrote:

It's not inappropriate- it's just a thought you don't agree with. I'm not saying that death metal should be banned - but it is definitely banned from my house!

Also with Neandrewthal on this. The extreme metal scene as a whole thrives on the fact that the majority of others don’t understand it. I spent a better part of a decade writing articles and interviewing bands (Dimmu Borgir, Suffocation, and others), people who helped define the music. I definitely don’t see death metal as a symptom of deeply rooted problems. I often found the contrary. Could that be bias? Possibly. But some of the most level headed people I’ve ever met were metal heads who love blood and gore FICTION. And that’s exactly what these lyrics are, a type of fiction. Never met a single person who was so troubled they wanted to act on such descriptions of violence. Everyone was very against real violence.

And since when has banning any sort of art, even from a household, ever been constructive? I’m a parent and if my kids came home with music I don’t like I certainly wouldn’t ban it. Sounds like a good way to get my teenager to dig his heels in and want it more. Just sayin.
PapaLazarou
Clearly the author did not witness Discordance Axis' final show at CBGB
cycad73
the reason the best students were the metalheads is that for them music/art serves to bring forth a world they care about, it opens a door or portal to another dimension, it allows them to enter a domain that nobody else is just going to give them. They already know that they're been called to wear masks and fulfill social roles and that these roles are BS and that they've found art as a way of taking the masks off, not that art is a mask. Their desire to learn is existentially rooted, even if the art stuff they're learning has nothing to do with metal. That they understand the power of art is all that matters. whereas the rest of the students were probably there just to learn a bunch of facts or material like any of their other classes, they didn't have yet a first-person experience of why art needs to exist, they may have memorized every note in every piece by every 20th century composer but didn't have any real reason to question how society is forcing them to behave.

more that I think about it this sounds like a very good teacher, and I hope she was able to convey some of that, if only through the way she dismissed your obsessions.
Oldstench
kcd06 wrote:
Interesting article on a study, found here:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/dissecting-the-bloodthirsty -bliss-of-death-metal/

I had an art teacher who claimed (more years ago than I really care to contemplate) that the best students in her classes were typically the metalheads; more creative, diligent in their studies and class participation, etc. My then preoccupation with Prokofiev, Shostokovich, and Copeland apparently didnt win me any extra points with her...

I smoked weed, listened to thrash and death metal, and dropped out. Guess your teacher isn't so smart, eh?

SmartBits
Panason wrote:

It has nothing to do with deep problems in modern society, just like extreme sports have anything to do with that. It's just the extreme sports equivalent in music. People get a kick out of it. I have enjoy growling like an unhuman being on stage just as somebody else might enjoy singing opera.
Lyrc-wise you might be surprised about the contents and themes. Not all is blood and gore. But it can be like hearing someone sing in a foreign language, you have to put some effort into knowing the meaning.

Panason wrote:
I'm not saying that death metal should be banned - but it is definitely banned from my house!

I am glad my parents didn't have that attitude towards the music I listened to. It eventualy led me to making music and starting my own (death/doom metal) band which became quite succesfull. As a result I got to play all over the world and get to know a lot of great people. The vibe in the metal scene (at least back then) was always very positive and I for one am glad to have been (and probably always will be) part of that.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1