MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Unipulse into Roland CR-8000
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tubbutec  
Author Unipulse into Roland CR-8000
a.d.a.m.baby
Just installed a Unipulse into my CR-8000.
Working well - many thanks for this great interface!

A couple of things:
the suggested trigger points for the Clave and the Low Tom were not ideal. The Clave was reduced to a click, and the LT lost all it's rumble. Simply moving these to the other side of the input diode cured these problems (the polarity of the LT had to be reversed). The Clave has that nice musical ring to it now, and the noise at high velocities is back in the Low Tom.
The implementation of Accent as suggested in your online installation guide didn't work for me at all. Instead, I changed the polarity and interfaced the digital gate D3 via a 1k resistor and a 39nF capacitor, effectively mimicking the existing negative going trigger system. This gives a whopping Accent effect! However, with my previous midi - trigger system I could get fully variable Accent control, with the digital output it is just all or nothing. So I think there may still be a better way of doing it. I note that trigger number 9 is unused in this configuration, so that may be useful here.

Can anyone explain why there are two separate but simultaneous triggers for the Open Hihat?
tubbutec
Hey thanks a lot for your work, will link to this thread from the manual.

You could wire the CV-out for accent control. It will not trigger when playing a note with velocity set to 127 (like the accent). Instead you should get a smooth volume control via a separate note on+velocity, or controller.

Quote:
Can anyone explain why there are two separate but simultaneous triggers for the Open Hihat?

if you look at the schematic in the installation manual, you will see the hihat is trigger on two points simultaneously. We can not use the trigger point on front of the diode/Transistor, because that would interfere with the CR8000 digital circuitry. Instead we need to trigger both points simultaneously via two separate pulse outputs.
The blue points seems to be creating the decay envelope for the OH, so it might be worth exploring to trigger these individually or with different velocities.
a.d.a.m.baby
tubbutec wrote:
You could wire the CV-out for accent control. It will not trigger when playing a note with velocity set to 127 (like the accent). Instead you should get a smooth volume control via a separate note on+velocity, or controller.

Yes, CV OUT control of Accent works and gives velocity control over Accent amount. However in my case I found there was a lot of cross triggering of Handclap and Rimshot with Accent triggering, so I moved the connection to the other side of R290 (10k resistor) where it joins the base of Q41. I added, from the CV OUT wire, going towards the connection, a 1.5 k resistor, then the 39nF capacitor, then a 10 k resistor. This cured the cross triggering. At this point in the circuit (the base of Q41) the quiescent state is at positive 5 volts, so you have to set the CV out at 5 volts, going negative towards 0 volts with a trigger, and the amplitude controlled by midi velocity. This gives you fully variable Accent, (although the practical usable range is really in the upper third of values) with the total Accent volume still controlled by the front panel pot.

Regarding the Low Tom, I moved it back to the original position, because once the polarity had been changed, either position gave the necessary rumble at higher velocities.

Regarding the Clave: for some reason when messing around with this, I started getting cross-triggering with the Handclap and Rimshot, when connecting to the point I suggested. Not sure what changed because it worked beautifully for a couple of days!! Anyway, I disconnected the internal trigger line for the clave (it's not programmable and is only used in two presets) and sure enough, that fixed the cross-triggering.... but, the sound changed back to that thin click I was trying to avoid. It turns out that for the Clave to sound properly, there needs to be positive 5 volts on the other side of that input capacitor (C56 27nF). As a quick fix I connected a jumper wire from there to a source of 5 volts on the board, and the sweet clave sound came back!
(I probably should have experimented with a few passive components as I did with the Accent to find a more elegant solution).

HTH
tubbutec
These are great findings! Thank you very much
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tubbutec  
Page 1 of 1