MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

my frac
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author my frac
consumed
just thought i would point out the little frac system that is 'in progress' (some of these modules are in the pipeline)

2 blacet vco
2 blacet miniwave
1 mixerprocessor
2 dual linear vcas
1 quadvca
2 microlfos
1 blacet eg
1 bananalogue vcs
1 oozitronics pair o slopes (2x slope detectors)
1 wiard jag
2 wiard noiserings
1 wiard borg
1 wiard boogie
1 wiard joystick
1 metalbox wavemultiplier
1 metalbox psycholfo

jeez. that grew fast. i only have 1u left in 12 spaces.
Muff Wiggler
awesome 8) very similar to my setup

I also am one of the few people with the Pair O' Slopes module. That thing is fantastic

I'm also getting a downgrade analog bit-reducer made in Frac Format by The Squarewave Parade, really looking forward to that one!
Chuck E. Jesus
Muff Wiggler wrote:
I'm also getting a downgrade analog bit-reducer made in Frac Format by The Squarewave Parade, really looking forward to that one!

the doepfer analogue delay i have really rips the shit out of a signal if not filtered (at longer delay times)...does the timemachine do the same, or does it have delay based filtering? the Ross delay works like that, as you increase delay time, there's more filter/less bandwith, like most old fangled delay pedals work, it's nice to have both options...
zerosum
Quote:

jeez. that grew fast. i only have 1u left in 12 spaces.

lol
Nice setup man.
Are you going to get your second miniwave expanded with the Hylander deal?
consumed
it sounds good (the hylander expansion) but no.
i dont need 15 million options for the miniwave. its already a very powerful module. more options will just make me more indecisive. i dont want to be scrolling through all of those waves just to find the "perfect" one.
consumed
i just got an email that UPS left my AH order on the front door.
2.5 hours until work ends and another 25 miles to drive.
Muff Wiggler
ross g wrote:
Muff Wiggler wrote:

the doepfer analogue delay i have really rips the shit out of a signal if not filtered (at longer delay times)...does the timemachine do the same, or does it have delay based filtering? the Ross delay works like that, as you increase delay time, there's more filter/less bandwith, like most old fangled delay pedals work, it's nice to have both options...

nope, the Time Machine has a compander system thast makes it one of the quietest analog delays ever. It's still an analog delay and can get gloriously dirty, but it's way cleaner than most, and a very different beast from the Doepfer ones, at least from the audio i've heard

i'd love to have them all... it was bittersweet for me when the Doepfer BBD units were released last year. Happy since I can avoid temptation since I don't have a Doepfer system. Sad as I wish I had a Doepfer system so that I could buy every single one of them. In my opinion they all have their places.
consumed
ok, shipment 1 of 3 came in yesterday.

the microLFOs are really sweet.
the first thing i noticed was the ugly silver screw on the frontpanel.
once that was fixed, the next thing was the variable shape.
i love how the sine wave seems to go almost to a saw.
i was a little bummed that i could not have cv control of the shape.
once the rate cv is engaged, the normalization breaks the wave shaping part of the circuit i guess.

the second thing i noticed is that the gate input not only resets the waveform cycle but causes the lfo to run when the gate is high, and not run when the gate was low. i wasnt expecting this.
i thought it would simply reset the waveform when the rising edge of the gate was received.
this could be useful, esp when gate times are changing.
Muff Wiggler
cv of shape would be good, but i think it would push it past the half-panel size, which is a size i like for this module

i did expect the gate functionality as you describe, and do find it quite useful

i modded both of mine slightly. I replaced the DIP package on the circuit board with a switch, and drilled a hole in the faceplate for the switch, so that I could control between short and long time range without having to remove the module and fuss with a little dip switch grin it's very easy to do, but you have to be prepared to desolder or in another manner cleanly remove the DIP from the PCB, which may not be something you are comfortable doing.
consumed
good tip muff. i dont think i need that mod though, at least yet.
i will have to look for new ways to patch regarding the lfo design.
ive always liked the 'sync' input on the motm vclfo--a trigger resets the waveform.

/me in hog heaven--some wiard modules showed up on monday.
man, the noisering is a strange and wonderful module.
its like 3-4 modules crammed into one. i will need lots of time to explore it.
im also very happy with a joystick. i think every modular needs at least one.
Muff Wiggler
also don't forget that you really want to use a passive attenuator (like the one in the Blacet multi) after the LFO, so that you can control the 'depth' of the waveform

when I started on modulars I was confused why LFOs had rate and shape, but not depth. Then I realized that attenuators are typically present on the input of other modules, and also there's the huge utility of standalone attens

anyway, that's how you'll control the 'depth' of your lfo

cheers
consumed
yes that is one thing that i am missing in frac-land...a lack of attenuators at the inputs of a lot of modules. i guess im spoiled on motm. im not interested in using blacet mults, they are too expensive in real estate for what they do.

i was thinking about building an oakley multimix behind a 1u frac panel so i could have a 3-way invertible mixer/3 attenuators. it could get cramped though. i would need 6 jacks and 3 pots.
Muff Wiggler
passive attens are damn easy to make - one pot, one resistor and 2 jacks 8)
zerosum
Quote:
im not interested in using blacet mults, they are too expensive in real estate for what they do.

Damn Right!
I need to build some.

The Adinfitum is a little better:
http://adinfinitummusic.com/UMM402.html

I think I would rather build an attenuator module and then buy this thing:
http://adinfinitummusic.com/UM410.html

I havent looked into how much rack panel faceplates would cost to have made.
Muff Wiggler
metalbox will make you a utility strip with as many multis or attens or any combo that you want, as long as they fit, for $150

i have the AI UM410, it's nice but it's just mults. Attens are a lot better

i've also drilled the little black wing pieces on the end of the frac racks, and built stuff in there. some multis in some, some 1/8-1/4 converts in others. there's a bit of real estate to work with there

then again, i've also got 8 blacet multi/atten modules

sounds like a lot, but bear in mind I currently have 14 frac frames and growing.
zerosum
Quote:
metalbox will make you a utility strip with as many multis or attens or any combo that you want, as long as they fit, for $150

Hey cool 8)
I'll have to look into that.

Do you have one of those too?
Muff Wiggler
nope
consumed
audio clip!

http://www.twango.com/media/consumed.sound/consumed.10001

two blacet vcos, one lfo, noise ring, joystick, borg, boogie.
you can really hear the lpg quality of the borg. i open up the frequency at :33 so you can hear before the filter.
Alienation
Very Interesting!! I take you were using a jag? or no?
J.w.M.
Wow. Excellent audio clip. That Borg is really amazing-sounding. Good stuff.
zerosum
consumed wrote:
audio clip!

http://www.twango.com/media/consumed.sound/consumed.10001

two blacet vcos, one lfo, noise ring, joystick, borg, boogie.
you can really hear the lpg quality of the borg. i open up the frequency at :33 so you can hear before the filter.

Damn! :shock: Thats beautiful!!! :shock:
Good stuff
consumed
thanks! no jag yet (im still waiting for it to arrive).
consumed
still waiting for the jag.
in the meantime, ive picked up some more modules.
looks like ill have to start a new rack soon. anyway, heres the latest:

and here's a slightly older pic. you can see how the room morphs into a workshop. i have to clean it about once/month cause it gets like this.

Chuck E. Jesus
nice studio/audio clip...gotta get a LPG style filter someday, very woody sound....
Alienation
What's on top of the space echo?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2