MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mungo w0 same as Mungo State Zero oscillators and lfo´s?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Mungo w0 same as Mungo State Zero oscillators and lfo´s?
FatRocky
Are Mungo w0 oscillator the same as Mungo State Zero synthesizer oscillators and lfo´s? or an update of them?
if so .
Is it possible to get two (or +) w0´s to track all in tune as good the State Zero videos?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU3J55WMsjE

if so.
how? ( midi, multichannel quantizer, yarns?)

Thanks thumbs up
Mungo
They share the same triangle to saw morphing, but are otherwise very different designs. The w0 uses higher precision and a variable sample rate output. They track very accurately to CV and are extremely stable, for perfect tracking you can send midi notes via the adaptor.
FatRocky
Mungo wrote:
They share the same triangle to saw morphing, but are otherwise very different designs. The w0 uses higher precision and a variable sample rate output. They track very accurately to CV and are extremely stable, for perfect tracking you can send midi notes via the adaptor.


I think the State Zero is a very interesting patchable digital synth.

I thought that about the oscillator because i see in the SZ instructional videos that it has oscillators and LFO´s with frequency, phase and symetry controls same as w0. Also it has a quantizer and waveshaper that look similar to the alternate functions on the w0.

some questions here (thinking on getting more w0 for polyphony):

Is the midi adaptor a circuit that goes attached to the pins at the back (where the zoom goes?

If you want to midi control two or + w0´s, do they all need the adaptor?

If the adaptor is connected will it lose the possibility to use the zoom control or the cv control? So i could send an offset to all w0´s cv input for fine tunning while controlling the pitch by midi?

I like the State Zero as it has the knob and zoom control memory for all knobs in all modules , right? Is it too complicated to have that system of knob and zoom memory like that in eurorack package so it works with the Mungo digital modules. I don´t know the Storage Strip but the one at State Zero with the save red button looks very handy.
thumbs up
Mungo
FatRocky wrote:
Is the midi adaptor a circuit that goes attached to the pins at the back (where the zoom goes?
The original adaptor was soldered onto the back next to the zoom connection. A newer version simply plugs into the bus board on any 16 pin header.

FatRocky wrote:
If you want to midi control two or + w0´s, do they all need the adaptor?
Midi is sent along the bus board, so all the modules connected to it will hear the messages.

FatRocky wrote:
If the adaptor is connected will it lose the possibility to use the zoom control or the cv control? So i could send an offset to all w0´s cv input for fine tunning while controlling the pitch by midi?
Nothing is lost when adding midi control, it is another source of pitch offset. So you can have several oscillators tuned to a chord or dynamically tuned with CVs from a sequencer/programmer like pressure points, or a PGM 4x4, sputnik voltage source, etc. Then use midi to transpose them all together, playing the root note on the midi keyboard and having the chords follow along.

FatRocky wrote:
I like the State Zero as it has the knob and zoom control memory for all knobs in all modules , right? Is it too complicated to have that system of knob and zoom memory like that in eurorack package so it works with the Mungo digital modules. I don´t know the Storage Strip but the one at State Zero with the save red button looks very handy.
thumbs up
Save/recall is a similar easy action, you use the zoom control to choose save (zoom +) or recall (no zoom) and send a midi program change.

The multi level zoom of the state zero works with visual feedback of the current range from the LED display and/or the numbers on the screen. To keep things simple the eurorack modules don't have a central co-ordinating module like the Buchla preset manager, they have simple connections that other manufacturers have made some compatibility with.
FatRocky
Mungo wrote:
FatRocky wrote:
Is the midi adaptor a circuit that goes attached to the pins at the back (where the zoom goes?
The original adaptor was soldered onto the back next to the zoom connection. A newer version simply plugs into the bus board on any 16 pin header.

FatRocky wrote:
If you want to midi control two or + w0´s, do they all need the adaptor?
Midi is sent along the bus board, so all the modules connected to it will hear the messages.

FatRocky wrote:
If the adaptor is connected will it lose the possibility to use the zoom control or the cv control? So i could send an offset to all w0´s cv input for fine tunning while controlling the pitch by midi?
Nothing is lost when adding midi control, it is another source of pitch offset. So you can have several oscillators tuned to a chord or dynamically tuned with CVs from a sequencer/programmer like pressure points, or a PGM 4x4, sputnik voltage source, etc. Then use midi to transpose them all together, playing the root note on the midi keyboard and having the chords follow along.

FatRocky wrote:
I like the State Zero as it has the knob and zoom control memory for all knobs in all modules , right? Is it too complicated to have that system of knob and zoom memory like that in eurorack package so it works with the Mungo digital modules. I don´t know the Storage Strip but the one at State Zero with the save red button looks very handy.
thumbs up
Save/recall is a similar easy action, you use the zoom control to choose save (zoom +) or recall (no zoom) and send a midi program change.

The multi level zoom of the state zero works with visual feedback of the current range from the LED display and/or the numbers on the screen. To keep things simple the eurorack modules don't have a central co-ordinating module like the Buchla preset manager, they have simple connections that other manufacturers have made some compatibility with.


Thanks for the info . I see the new midi adaptor is very convenient . How does it get the midi? Is it through 4hp panel like the one in the pictures below? I got that from you some time ago but i´m using it only for the zoom.






So if the midi adapter sends same notes (or omni mode ) to all modules via the power bus , then if i want to play chords by using a midi keyboard (instead of a sequencer-programmer ) its better to use a module like Yarns to receive the midi chord and convert it into individual cv´s for each module, right?

Sorry for all these questions. I really want to try the w0 (x 2 or +) in that way.

Thanks again thumbs up .
Mungo
FatRocky wrote:
Thanks for the info . I see the new midi adaptor is very convenient . How does it get the midi? Is it through 4hp panel like the one in the pictures below?
The 4hp panel is a convenient way to mount the midi socket, the adaptors (both old and new) plug into the back of it. Some people prefer the socket mounted on the case, or using 3.5mm sockets to match other modules.

FatRocky wrote:
So if the midi adapter sends same notes (or omni mode ) to all modules via the power bus , then if i want to play chords by using a midi keyboard (instead of a sequencer-programmer ) its better to use a module like Yarns to receive the midi chord and convert it into individual cv´s for each module, right?
Thats right all the modules are receiving the same midi data and respond as a monophonic type voice so they won't understand polyphonic chords. Plenty of options out there for more advanced patching of CVs.
FatRocky
Mungo wrote:
FatRocky wrote:
Thanks for the info . I see the new midi adaptor is very convenient . How does it get the midi? Is it through 4hp panel like the one in the pictures below?
The 4hp panel is a convenient way to mount the midi socket, the adaptors (both old and new) plug into the back of it. Some people prefer the socket mounted on the case, or using 3.5mm sockets to match other modules.

FatRocky wrote:
So if the midi adapter sends same notes (or omni mode ) to all modules via the power bus , then if i want to play chords by using a midi keyboard (instead of a sequencer-programmer ) its better to use a module like Yarns to receive the midi chord and convert it into individual cv´s for each module, right?
Thats right all the modules are receiving the same midi data and respond as a monophonic type voice so they won't understand polyphonic chords. Plenty of options out there for more advanced patching of CVs.



If i get the new midi adapter:how can i avoid sending the same midi messages to other mungo modules that are not part of the polyphonic patch and that are connected to the same bus?
Would it be better to get the old midi adapter only in the w0 that are planned to be midi controlled?
Thanks again thumbs up
Mungo
FatRocky wrote:
If i get the new midi adapter:how can i avoid sending the same midi messages to other mungo modules that are not part of the polyphonic patch and that are connected to the same bus?
Would it be better to get the old midi adapter only in the w0 that are planned to be midi controlled?
Both adaptors send all the data to the bus board. Some bus boards have segments you can join or disconnect the CV/gate bus and isolate some modules. Other options are to keep the modules on different but boards or cut out the 4 last wires on the ribbon cables connecting to the modules you don't want to be connected to the midi messages. I can send you some cables like that.
FatRocky
Mungo wrote:
FatRocky wrote:
If i get the new midi adapter:how can i avoid sending the same midi messages to other mungo modules that are not part of the polyphonic patch and that are connected to the same bus?
Would it be better to get the old midi adapter only in the w0 that are planned to be midi controlled?
Both adaptors send all the data to the bus board. Some bus boards have segments you can join or disconnect the CV/gate bus and isolate some modules. Other options are to keep the modules on different but boards or cut out the 4 last wires on the ribbon cables connecting to the modules you don't want to be connected to the midi messages. I can send you some cables like that.


I´ll try to control a 3 voice poly with cv sources first using two w0´s and one n0 . I think i´ll get the midi adaptor afterwards and i´ll need those cable for sure. thumbs up Thanks
FatRocky
Finally i got what i needed. I wonder how does the f0 tracks cv in self oscillation mode?
jameswalk
Very nice, how are you finding it - meeting your expectations?
FatRocky
jameswalk wrote:
Very nice, how are you finding it - meeting your expectations?


Yes! it´s a pity i dont have a camera, i might do some recordings.

They ( two w0 and the n0) track cv beautifully together and with other oscillators too , i put a livewire afg in the wagon. I haven´t tried midi yet. The squarewave coming from the n0 doesn´t have a shaper control but it has a filter so it gives some dark and round character to the mix. i think i might get some shape manipulation by applying signals at the frequency input on the n0 while tracking 1v/oct didn´t do that yet , i´ll try with audio rate.
The only thing is all settings are lost after powering off so better to avoid doing that everytime you go to pee. I hope some device ala storage strip could be made one day again.
Anyway sound is brilliant.
Mungo
FatRocky wrote:
The only thing is all settings are lost after powering off so better to avoid doing that everytime you go to pee. I hope some device ala storage strip could be made one day again.
You've got the midi right there, just send a program change while holding the zoom in the + position, settings saved.
FatRocky
Mungo wrote:
FatRocky wrote:
The only thing is all settings are lost after powering off so better to avoid doing that everytime you go to pee. I hope some device ala storage strip could be made one day again.
You've got the midi right there, just send a program change while holding the zoom in the + position, settings saved.


It´s just the zoom panel with the midi socket ( not wired) included but not the midi adaptor. You mean if i had a midi adaptor in that bus i can save settings as midi out messages to something like a DAW?
Mungo
FatRocky wrote:
You mean if i had a midi adaptor in that bus i can save settings as midi out messages to something like a DAW?
The settings are saved on each module, but its controlled by the midi program change messages.
FatRocky
Mungo wrote:
FatRocky wrote:
You mean if i had a midi adaptor in that bus i can save settings as midi out messages to something like a DAW?
The settings are saved on each module, but its controlled by the midi program change messages.


That´s great. I didn´t know it worked like that. i see the midi is a must.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group