MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I'm having some trouble getting midi from MPC Live to FH-2
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author I'm having some trouble getting midi from MPC Live to FH-2
manglepup
Hey,

First off I thought I'd say I love the FH-2 (I have one FHX-1 expander as well).

I have a setup with a keystep as my keys, and a korg nanokontrol studio for changing arp settings, envelope settings, and euclidean rhythms - which is great, but I can't seem to get Midi out of my MPC and into the FH-2 in a workable fashion.

When I connect the MPC (I use a MIDI to USB cable, either directly off the back of the MPC or on the Midi Thru of my Intellijel 1u Midi module; or the thru on my Circuit Mono Station); but no matter what I can get some notes to play but lots of pad presses won't trigger notes. I noticed that if I really stab the pads repeatedly I can get it to send some note info; but not on every pad press.

I did notice that with the preset/config I am using, when I am using my typical setup (Keystep + Nanokontrol) the messages on the screen when I press a note and hold the keys (for aftertouch) indicates "CP" (I assume Channel Pressure), but when I am using the PADS on my MPC, the screen indicates "PP". I also noticed that the gate output for that MIDI CV Converter stays open a lot of the time (only with the MPC), but if I quickly hit pads, lift fingers and hit pads I can sometimes see the gate firing.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

One last thing I was wondering (though not a priority until I get get MIDI from my MPC live to go into the FH-2 properly)... If I am using an Arp on my main MIDI CV Converter, it works great for controlling the eurorack; but is there any way to get the Arps Note/Gate data back out of the module; or will it only send out the notes/gates when I press keys (vs. latching). I have not appropriately tested this out, so my apologies if this is a silly question.

Thanks!
os
So to clarify, the MIDI-USB cable is connected with the DIN socket on the MPC and the USB going to the FH-2? (Via a hub?)

PP is polyphonic pressure (per-note aftertouch).

The arpeggiation is only used internally - the notes are not (currently) sent out over MIDI as well.
Alliex
The ability to set "Pre/Post" for MIDI arpeggiation would be cool (ie, note data sent before arp or after) grin
manglepup
os wrote:
So to clarify, the MIDI-USB cable is connected with the DIN socket on the MPC and the USB going to the FH-2? (Via a hub?)

PP is polyphonic pressure (per-note aftertouch).

The arpeggiation is only used internally - the notes are not (currently) sent out over MIDI as well.

For your question - yes, that is how the MIDI-USB cable is connected. My Midi to cv converter is monophonic, so I'm wondering if this could be the issue (but I have not tested it yet). Wish I knew how to make it work while its on monophonic though.
os
Some of those MIDI/USB cables can be a bit shonky. Ideally you would use the DIN MIDI breakout on the FH-2 itself.
manglepup
os wrote:
Some of those MIDI/USB cables can be a bit shonky. Ideally you would use the DIN MIDI breakout on the FH-2 itself.

I'd like to, but right now I want to see if I can conserve rack space. I have an extra midi port wired into my intellijel 7u case, that is not connected to anything (it's labelled midi out but I don't see why it couldn't be used for midi in).

Any idea how I could wire that up?

Alternatively, my novation mono station has a midi thru, it's on a 3.5mm jack (I have adapters)...

Any chance you'd make the X or Y inputs able to take midi? If they're wired mono, I guess it wouldn't work, but thought I'd ask.
os
You should be able to use the port on the case. You'd need to run a couple of wires from the FH-2 MIDI breakout header to the port - but nothing else, no electronics as such, just the wires.
manglepup
os wrote:
You should be able to use the port on the case. You'd need to run a couple of wires from the FH-2 MIDI breakout header to the port - but nothing else, no electronics as such, just the wires.

So I still haven't been able to get my MPC's midi messages to be received correctly on the FH-2 via any DIN MIDI to USB cable. Half of the keypresses don't seem to register (but my other MIDI devices all work with it). It's the only controller I have that sends the PP (Polyphonic Pressure/aftertouch) and I tried setting the Midi-to-cv converter on the FH-2 to Mono, Poly and even tried MPE. I've tried checking/unchecking the Paraphonic Aftertouch box and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

But, I got some lil jumper cables and have access to the MIDI Out port on my case (Intellijel 7u 104hp), which is not connected to anything except the DIN Jack itself (I believe).

To be clear, I want to use what is labelled as a MIDI Out port on my case, as a MIDI In port for the FH-2

Here's a pic of the pins for the jack (pins labelled left to right A B C) and also includes the FH-2 outs, labelled 1 2 3 4):

Do I connect 3 to A, and 4 to B or C?

I would assume its C, since it looks like the middle channel might be common between the two (ground?).

Here are the jumper cables I have:

manglepup
So I got the port working, but haven't tested the MPC's MIDI information yet.

To get it working, I connected 3 to A and 4 to B. I have nothing on the third pin.

I'll reply again if I get the MPC Live MIDI out working on the FH-2.
os
Thanks for the info - keep us updated.
manglepup
Wahoo! Using DIN MIDI did solve the problem I was having with the FH-2 receiving (or maybe MPC sending) midi notes. Now I can use the FH-2's arpeggiator, or the MPC's (or maybe even both? haha).

It's working like a charm, and I am very happy to have the ability to record MIDI sequences on my MPC that I can send in to the FH-2.

Also, I thought I'd add I also was having issues with the FH-2 triggering Maths, but one thing I found I can do is set the gate level to 0-12000, and then use a Midi Controller knob to adjust the length of the euclidean gates. It seems like somewhere around 30-45% (i.e. 9pm to 11:30pm) the gates no longer double trigger. This lets me retain a relatively high voltage gate but be able to use them to trigger either Maths channel.

I was curious, is there any way to apply euclidean gates to the envelope out? So that the envelope would only hit on certain pulses?
os
Not currently.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1