MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Les Paul clone - Wolf Guitars
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Les Paul clone - Wolf Guitars
sduck
New to me is this les paul clone - by Wolf Guitars from South Korea. This is a fantastic guitar, and a phenomenal bargain at 449$, with a gig bag and free shipping in the US. I got it from https://www.allinoneguitars.com (I'm not affiliated). If you might be interested in a les paul but don't want to pay the $$$ for a real one, this might be a viable alternative.

It's made from the standard les paul type ingredients - mahogany back and neck, maple top (the flame part is a veneer, but there's an actual full layer of regular maple under that), ebony fingerboard, normal electronics. And a bunch of cool looking abalone around the sides and top, and in the neck inlays. The ebony fingerboard is a real bonus - love the feel of it. And the neck is great - it's a thin, 60's style one, slightly narrower than the real thing, but plays great, and came perfectly set up - they take pride in sending them out pre-set up, and quiz you about your preferences when you buy them.

The electronics are passable, unlike most of the chinese clones - the pickups actually sound pretty decent, although the pots are the cheapo korean kind that are guaranteed to lock up in a few years. I will most likely be updating the pickups and knobs fairly soon.

My history with les pauls - back when I was starting out on guitar, they were the top of the line, the best thing available, what my idols were using. I always wanted one, but couldn't ever afford one I liked. I did have a few of them over the years, and several decent clones, but my main guitars ended up being strats and strat clones. And for maybe the last 20 years I've only had strat clones. But a while back I was playing a recording session for my brother, and he handed me a les paul, and I found that I was able to get around on the neck a bit better than I could on the strats. So about a year ago I bought a chinese les paul clone. Which was kind of fun, and it looked great, but the neck was pretty terrible. So I started trying the real things in stores, and must have tried 20 or more of them, and finally bought one. It's green. Inverness Green is the official name of the color, although I think it looks like mental ward green. So I can compare this new one to really nice real thing, and while there are some obvious differences, the overall playing experience is very similar - same shape, balance and weight (heavy - don't ask).
commodorejohn
Man is that sexy.
Chevron87
Nice! Thanks for the heads up! I am more of an SG guy but this looks slick!
sduck
Just changed out the electronics, updated the pickups to Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz, put on Ratio locking tuners and a string butler, and this thing is a sustain monster that stays in tune! You can hammer on it all you want, for hours, and it'll still be in tune.
kingmaxwell
I picked one of these up partially on the recommendation of Sduck. It is a really fun guitar - I'm enjoying the weight and playability. The communication from allinoneguitars was a little funky at times (they didn't have the case to ship the guitar and didn't communicate for a while). But overall good experience and enjoyable guitar. Thanks for the heads up.
sduck
Cool! What model? Color? I would love to see pics.
kingmaxwell
I went black and gold. It looks like a Narcos gun. I'll take some pics this weekend and share them. Again, thanks for the heads up. It is a really fun guitar to play without feeling like I have to baby it because it was really expensive.
Rex Coil 7
I ended up going with Dean guitars (the imported ones) for humbucker/short scale/wider fingerboard (aka "Les Paul configuration"). Completely gutted a black ML, replaced everything that was replaceable on it (Seymour Duncan 59s, Gotoh bridge/Tune-O-Matic ensemble, all new pots, new pickup selector switch, totally rewired to a configuration that suits me ... one volume control, one tone control, with a stainless steel 1/2" bolt put where one of the 3 controls used to be to fill the unused hole).

It's 1980's pointy/ugly ... but I can get around on it with greater ease than my "Shredbilly Tele". Most of that is due to the reduced string tension, which is due to the shorter scale. The little bit of extra fretboard width also helps with "getting around" compared to Fender spec'd guitars.

Total cost = roughly $450.00 or so. And I'm not afraid to scratch it or bang it up a little. Basswood body provides an extra boost of midrange, which I like. Basswood isn't very durable, but that's ok ... a replacement body from Dean is about $75.00 bucks, painted and ready to go.

These neat discoveries (Member *sduck's find, and my little ugly secrets) allow those of us that can't lay out the big check for a "real" Les Paul to obtain both the experience and the sound.

thumbs up
numan7
the WA TM hollow-body model, which resembles an ES 339, is very tempting as well. i just might pick up one or a few Wolf guitars at some point...

cheers
Rex Coil 7
WA TM? Can you please spell that out?
numan7
'WA TM' is all that is given on the website as far as the name goes.

i haven't the slightest clue if the letters stand for anything, but would guess that the W is for 'Wolf' (since WLP, the name of the model in the op, seems quite likely to stand for 'Wolf Les Paul'.... so hmm, maybe it's 'Wolf Accoustic Tone Monster' then, who knows....).

cheers
sduck
It's this one - https://www.allinoneguitars.com/product-page/wa-tm-tobacco-sunburst
Rex Coil 7
... thank you! we're not worthy
Idunno
Has the Wolf Les Paul a diminutive body, or is that a really wide neck?
Rex Coil 7
Idunno wrote:
Looks like a standard "Gibson neck" to me, which are wider than Fender necks.
Idunno
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Idunno wrote:
Looks like a standard "Gibson neck" to me, which are wider than Fender necks.

Well, the neck's supposed to be a bit slimmer than a Gibson Les Paul Standard, it just looks fat in the pic to me.

Btw, I'm not knocking the guitar. Looks really good, and good value for money.
kinkycables
Looks like someone is trying to copy Rondo's business model - but with some really ugly aethstetics
sduck
Idunno wrote:

It's a bit smaller body, but not a lot smaller. The pic is it in front of a real deal les paul. Having played both of them back to back, I'd say the length and scale is the same with both, but the Wolf body is a bit slimmer and lighter. The fingerboard is a hair slimmer, and the is noticeably flatter in radius than the les paul. While there are obvious differences in feel, it's really easy to go back and forth between them.

Rex Coil 7
sduck wrote:
... noticeably flatter in radius than the les paul....
.. maybe a 16" radius "shredder neck" ...

??? hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it

One stuffs I really like about Warmoth necks is they offer that compound radius ... 10" at the nut, ~morphing~ to 16" at the fret closest to the bridge. Easy to chord near the nut, easy to bend notes near the bridge. My Shredbilly has that option, very easy to play especially with stainless frets. Once those stainless frets wear in a bit they become really ... hmmm ... "slick" and bends are nearly effortless.

thumbs up

BTW, I spy with my little eye a VooDoo Labs Power Plus ... you like??

cool
sduck
Yes, my two warmoth strats both have those compound radius necks, and they are the best.

The Voodoo Labs thing is great - really quiet power, unlike the cheaper things.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1