MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Verbos Multi Delay Processor
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Verbos Multi Delay Processor
Tumulishroomaroom
Just a thread to talk about this wonderful module, share patching tips, videos and audio.

Here's a few I nicked from the main Verbos thread to start with :

thetwlo wrote:
quick thing today with the Verbos HO and Verbos Delay into the MN RxMX, no other effects, VCFs..., WMD PDO for modulation of RxMx:
https://soundcloud.com/user-931889590/verbios-ho-delay-rxmx

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:

Three instagram snippets :
https://www.instagram.com/p/BouDmzvBwre/?taken-by=l.marchal

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoxHcyhBUL9/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo1jtNlBdjw/

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
The Multi Delay Processor might be my favorite module I ever got... It is sooooo much more than a delay. I love it. It's just impossible not to tweak it in every way... and it sounds incredible all the time.

Here's a live jam I did this weekendI use it a lot during the intro but it is also sparkled throughout for leads, and ambiances, and the outro as well...

BrokenBo wrote:
harmonic oscillator, multi delay processor in this little patch here:

https://soundcloud.com/bo-deep/universal-control-voltage

BrokenBo wrote:
some techno/ house minimal stuff with verbos CO and HO for bassline / melody. multi delay processor also doing some work.

https://soundcloud.com/bo-deep/vienna98

The Junglechrist wrote:
Hey there ! Here is a new Patch From Scratch using the Verbos Multi-Delay as a weird Chorus effect :

Feel free to add more and share !
kingcons
I cracked and ordered from Perfect Circuit yesterday. Hopefully someone will take my Akemie's off my hands to ease the pain in my wallet!

Looking forward to sharing video/reflections soon... smile
The Junglechrist
Cool to have this dedicated thread.

I'll had this video by Voltlife that I would have done if he didn't beat me to it :

Tumulishroomaroom
kingcons wrote:
I cracked and ordered from Perfect Circuit yesterday. Hopefully someone will take my Akemie's off my hands to ease the pain in my wallet!

Looking forward to sharing video/reflections soon... smile

Please do when you get it !

The Junglechrist wrote:
Cool to have this dedicated thread.

I'll add this video by Voltlife that I would have done if he didn't beat me to it :

Yeah it's a great one and one of my favorite thing to do with the delay as well !
murch33
I wish I could spare the HP for it. waah
The Junglechrist
Here is the video we did as Wired Brain with the Multi Dela, I use it a lot for this kind of effect :

damase
I too am loving this module. Ive never had a delay that i can use like this one. Its a nice warm sound. So glad it has 2 cv inputs because audio rate fm is my jam. It really does intertwine itself into a patch much more than any other effect ive used. No sounds to post because all my recordings have been so good they are making it to my future tracks

Ill comment though and say that it starts to get a little noisy toward the longer end of the time knob, from about 3-5oclock. I think its just part of the modules design. Its not an unpleasent noise at least, and it can even be useful when being fm’d for a cool dirty kinda sound. Overloading the inputs gain is a useful distortion source too

Kinda wish there was a scan/width for the mix output like some other verbos modules, seems like that would be super cool here but i guess its purely wishful at this point
jmax313
I have a rainmaker already but have lusted over this delay. Anyone with both or who have used both at some point care to offer their thoughts on both modules?
damase
jmax313 wrote:
I have a rainmaker already but have lusted over this delay. Anyone with both or who have used both at some point care to offer their thoughts on both modules?

I have both and i love both.
Completely justified for having both. They sound very different, they are very different in usage/patching, and they have very different end results.

I use the multidelay in a system that had a lot of analog patching, fm intertwining and feedback modulations
The rainmaker i use as a sound design and performance tool, its more of a system in itself
Voggg
I absolutely love the sounds coming out of it in every demo and track I've heard so far. And the followers. That said, I'm puzzled by the lack of a clock input / tap tempo. There's a tension that hasn't been fully resolved yet between the very analog Verbos design ethos and the feature sets / options users expect from a digital module.
Based on sound characteristics, I would choose this over Rainmaker; based on features and utility I'd choose the latter. Fortunately I already have a few great delay modules, so I'll be content listening to what other people come up with in this thread.
Tumulishroomaroom
jmax313 wrote:

damase has answered very well already but I also have both and use both all the time. They are very complimentary and each du stuff than the other isn't capable of. The Multi Delay Processor has more of a sound of its own, and has the great advantage of being very tactile; it's not a set and forget module, you play it. The pitchifting and reverb lead you to great washes of ambiance and are very useful for sound design. Like Mark Verbos says himself it's not an end of chain delay, it's a delay that's an integral part of your voice.

Voggg wrote:
I absolutely love the sounds coming out of it in every demo and track I've heard so far. And the followers. That said, I'm puzzled by the lack of a clock input / tap tempo. There's a tension that hasn't been fully resolved yet between the very analog Verbos design ethos and the feature sets / options users expect from a digital module.
Based on sound characteristics, I would choose this over Rainmaker; based on features and utility I'd choose the latter. Fortunately I already have a few great delay modules, so I'll be content listening to what other people come up with in this thread.

I don't mind the lack of clock input really; I think it's good to have a delay that is not in perfect sync sometimes. And once again it's not like a tape delay with endless repeats, it's rather short delays that help you mangle/create a sound (which you can put through a classic delay afterwards).
natureclubcassettes
maybe this has been addressed elsewhere, but what is the relationship between the multi delay and Mark's 288v Buchla module? the 288v seems to lack all the followers but has a few more CV inputs...
Tumulishroomaroom
natureclubcassettes wrote:
maybe this has been addressed elsewhere, but what is the relationship between the multi delay and Mark's 288v Buchla module? the 288v seems to lack all the followers but has a few more CV inputs...

This video covers the relationship between the two modules and a fair bit more. It's rather interesting !

Link : https://vimeo.com/267984409
natureclubcassettes
awesome! thanks!
BrokenBo
i had the rainmaker and currently own the verbos delay. rainmaker on paper has more features but in practice i much preferred the sound and interface of the verbos delay.

verbos interface is very inviting for tweaking and experimenting and the feedback possibilities are great. to me this module is very "modular" and interacts quite well with other modules in my system (random sources, filters, oscillators for fm etc.) while the rainmaker seems more like a box in itself, which there are better ones both in hardware and software imo.

i use the verbos together with clouds and erbe-verb, which form an awesome team

cool
natureclubcassettes
that does sound like an awesome team cool

similar to my processing chain, but I use the a-188-2 instead of the verbos... this may change though. I love the weird stereo image you can get when you hard pan output1>L and output2>R, with varying degrees of tap amounts and mix amounts. is it fair to assume that doing the same with the odd/even outs on the verbos would produce a similar, if less noisy, result?
Voggg
As I understand it, the pitch shift and reverb inputs are for audio (interrupting the normal from tap 8) and not for CV, is that correct?
If so, does patching audio there send it through just that effect and then into the feedback loop? So for instance you could take the output from tap 2 and 5 (or another voice) and send one through each effect?
Tumulishroomaroom
natureclubcassettes wrote:
that does sound like an awesome team cool
is it fair to assume that doing the same with the odd/even outs on the verbos would produce a similar, if less noisy, result?

I'm not certain but I feel like the preset outputs take all the taps at full volume for Odd/Even and descending/ascending for the other. It makes for superb stereo image but it bypasses the faders. However the classic mono mix output is still available so you can mix and match; it do this sometimes to have the velocity of the taps and the stereo image.

Voggg wrote:
As I understand it, the pitch shift and reverb inputs are for audio (interrupting the normal from tap 8) and not for CV, is that correct?
If so, does patching audio there send it through just that effect and then into the feedback loop? So for instance you could take the output from tap 2 and 5 (or another voice) and send one through each effect?

No, if you plug anything into inputs 2/3 it bypasses the FX. The pitch shift and reverb only work with the normalled taps.
Tumulishroomaroom
Also I thought that might be of interest to some since the Verbos website doesn't even have a page for the Delay :

(click for full res)

These are the cards that come with the delay, the "manual" if you wish.
jmax313
BrokenBo wrote:
i had the rainmaker and currently own the verbos delay. rainmaker on paper has more features but in practice i much preferred the sound and interface of the verbos delay.

verbos interface is very inviting for tweaking and experimenting and the feedback possibilities are great. to me this module is very "modular" and interacts quite well with other modules in my system (random sources, filters, oscillators for fm etc.) while the rainmaker seems more like a box in itself, which there are better ones both in hardware and software imo.

i use the verbos together with clouds and erbe-verb, which form an awesome team

cool

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
damase has answered very well already but I also have both and use both all the time. They are very complimentary and each du stuff than the other isn't capable of. The Multi Delay Processor has more of a sound of its own, and has the great advantage of being very tactile; it's not a set and forget module, you play it. The pitchifting and reverb lead you to great washes of ambiance and are very useful for sound design. Like Mark Verbos says himself it's not an end of chain delay, it's a delay that's an integral part of your voice.

Voggg wrote:

damase wrote:

I have both and i love both.
Completely justified for having both. They sound very different, they are very different in usage/patching, and they have very different end results.

I use the multidelay in a system that had a lot of analog patching, fm intertwining and feedback modulations
The rainmaker i use as a sound design and performance tool, its more of a system in itself

Thank you all for the replies! I'm glad to hear the comparison and that they both can compliment each other. It will eventually be nice to have both delays that do completely different things and used in extremely different ways. It's peanut butter jelly time!

Until then, I'll keep listening to those sound videos hyper
kingcons
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Also I thought that might be of interest to some since the Verbos website doesn't even have a page for the Delay :

(click for full res)

These are the cards that come with the delay, the "manual" if you wish.

Ah, bless you! I've been wondering why I couldn't find heads or tails of the manual anywhere and had the same question about the extra audio inputs.
Voggg
Now that I fully understand the design, I have to say I'm disappointed. The narrow clock range and lack of clock input is one thing (and it seems that has to do with the original Buchla design). I understand this is not meant to replicate "vanilla" delay or reverb. But the total lack of modulation inputs apart from clock is frustrating. No depth modulation on the pitch or reverb, and only a manual mix *if* you're only using one input. No alternate signal configuration or feedback routes. That just doesn't make sense to me. You have a big mixer for the taps but no way to automate or scan through them as you have in other Verbos modules. The envelope followers are a great idea, but you can do something similar with any other delay module and Maths (and in any case, self-patching is limited to using them on the clock).
Mark has said he comes from the engineer's school of thinking, that delays and other effects should be added after the fact, and that this delay should be playable in a modular environment. I understand and appreciate the Verbos design philosophy, and I certainly wouldn't want him to break from it. But why make a digital module that is so limited in terms of how you can use it? The sound is fantastic from what I've heard, but without the ability to modulate and find new territory, there is a chance that it gets stale after a while.
BrokenBo
have to agree on the mixer section. i dont know why you cannot automate that like you can on the harmonic oscillator, bark and scan & pan...would have loved to have that feature.
Tumulishroomaroom
I still find quite strange to be disappointed in a module without having tried it, by now we know that there's much more to modular than pure specs...

Would have been nice to have VC over Pitch/Verb but there isn't so...
mritenburg
Voggg wrote:
No alternate signal configuration or feedback routes.

There are two feedback routes. The pitch shifter input and reverb input both allow for patching feedback.

Voggg wrote:
That just doesn't make sense to me. You have a big mixer for the taps but no way to automate or scan through them as you have in other Verbos modules.

The taps are already scanned sequentially according to their placement in time relative to the input. You can speed-up or slow-down the scan rate with a CV. You have the ability with the sliders to mix their collective outputs any way you like. And, you can take individual outputs from any tap and run them through the sequential switch on the Verbos Sequence Selector if you want more variation.

Voggg wrote:
But why make a digital module that is so limited in terms of how you can use it? The sound is fantastic from what I've heard, but without the ability to modulate and find new territory, there is a chance that it gets stale after a while.

It is a time-based processor, not a pitch-based or frequency-based processor. From a time-based perspective it offers a wealth of modulation possibilities.

I think the design of the Multi-Delay Processor assumes that you are using it in the context of a fuller system with the expectation that you have some support and utility modules to help make the most of it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3