MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Midi 5 pin interface - information to seperate channels?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Midi 5 pin interface - information to seperate channels?
double_helix
Hello, I'm not too clued up on the capabilities of 5 pin midi - i have a show coming up and also couldnt find anything online - so thought maybe I could call on some help on the forum.

I'm currently running ableotn with a motu mk3 audio interface. it has one midi in and one midi out - which i use for syncing some external synths to an ableton clock. and also sometimes will swap the chord into other synths and run midi sequences that are played through the outboard synths - ms20 etc..

essentially im curious whether there might be some sort of midi interface i could use so that i could run these things at the same time? like maybe a couple of midi cables going to synths and playing sequences ive put together.. and then maybe another midi cable going into my drum machine and syncing to the ableton clock.

does such a box exist? ive had a look a few times online - and only seem to find midi boxes that are 1 in and like 5 out . and they're just all duplicates of the original channel ..

Any wisdom with this stuff would be appreciated !

thankyou !
matthewjuran
Maybe I misunderstood, but do your outboards have a thru port or configuration to make an out into a thru? By using the thrus you can address each one with a different channel from the computer, assuming the synths each let you change the channel.
double_helix
matthewjuran wrote:
Maybe I misunderstood, but do your outboards have a thru port or configuration to make an out into a thru? By using the thrus you can address each one with a different channel from the computer, assuming the synths each let you change the channel.

Oh ok - yeh the esx electribe has a thru port. so i can give that a go ..

thank u smile
CF3
Unless I'm misunderstanding your question....

A powered MIDI thru box should do the trick. I have a MIDIMan 3X8 one that I've had for 20 years easily, and it REALLY comes in handy. There's few different brands out there to chose from
Panason
I recommend a 4-output USB MIDI interface plugged into a separate USB port from the one driving your audio interface. This will give you the best clock accuracy from Ableton.

Chaining MIDI synths via their through ports is OK for only one through connection, after that you start to get lag and other issues.

So with a quad interface you could drive 8 synths with no issues (assuming 4 of them have a through).

If you don't use any through connections (ie every synth gets its own MIDI port) then you dont have to worry about making sure your synths are set to different MIDI channels- you can set them all to channel 1 which makes things simpler.
double_helix
CF3 wrote:
Unless I'm misunderstanding your question....

A powered MIDI thru box should do the trick. I have a MIDIMan 3X8 one that I've had for 20 years easily, and it REALLY comes in handy. There's few different brands out there to chose from

Yeah, sorry if my question wasn't worded the best. I think you've understood tho. So that's great, just had a look at the midi man, looks like a bit of beast. So one more question .. When you're selecting an output for a channel within your software, does it show 8 midi out options in drop down menu?

thanks
double_helix
Panason wrote:
I recommend a 4-output USB MIDI interface plugged into a separate USB port from the one driving your audio interface. This will give you the best clock accuracy from Ableton.

Chaining MIDI synths via their through ports is OK for only one through connection, after that you start to get lag and other issues.

So with a quad interface you could drive 8 synths with no issues (assuming 4 of them have a through).

If you don't use any through connections (ie every synth gets its own MIDI port) then you dont have to worry about making sure your synths are set to different MIDI channels- you can set them all to channel 1 which makes things simpler.

Awesome, thanks so much for this. appreciate the tip about latency - also something i've struggled with. And + 1 on the thru routing. also something i wasnt sure about.

Any good ones come to mind re quad output midi interface ? vermona looks cool but also keen for a box rather than a euro rack style
matthewjuran
With thru I haven’t noticed lag in a four synth chain although I’m not tracking them so maybe I just haven’t noticed it.
Hey_Steve86
It might be a bit more robust than you need, but you could check out the Motu Micro Lite or Micro Express. The Express is 4×6, and you can map any input to any output in the Clockworks software. It can also split and merge signals.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1