MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Two (2) Moog 960s vs the rest ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Two (2) Moog 960s vs the rest ?
Analog Music
I luv 5U sequencers and it's so cool we have so many options I wish I could have them all .
They all have Pro's and Cons .
I'm curious to know what your thoughts are on two (2) Moog 960s (pic below) with their utility modules compared to the rest of 5U sequencers ?
How much does having the IO on every step matter compared to other sequencers that have more features but not the IO on every step ?
Are there any advantages of having this sequencer set-up in one portable case
or is this a disadvantage some how ?
I was interested in this set up because I believe Tangerine Dream used something similar in their early classic period and also by Morbius pattern bussing technique video below .
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes .
[/img]

JohnLRice
The Moog sequencer cabinet is definitely gorgeous and lust worthy but you could get almost the exact same look and functionality with Synthesizer.com products for less then 1/3 the cost of the Moog?

Also the same thing with Mos-Lab and COTK products for a little more than the DotCom offerings. And while I know that limitations are golden for inspiring creativity, there are more advanced sequential switches and gate handlers from COTK and Moon.

And if you want to get further away from the traditional look and design but still have 98% of the Moog functionality plus TONS more ability, you could go with an all Moon setup for only half the price of the Moog? hihi
Dave Peck
Plus, if you go the Dotcom route, you have room for adding a quantizer or two in the same cabinet.

And if you get the Moon version, the quantizing is built into the sequencers.
ranix
those two open spaces are looking pretty juicy for a dotcom quantizer and a quantizer aid, the latter of which even produces midi output
JohnLRice
Dave Peck wrote:
Plus, if you go the Dotcom route, you have room for adding a quantizer or two in the same cabinet.

And if you get the Moon version, the quantizing is built into the sequencers.
thumbs up Although for those not aware, quantization is always ON for the 2v and 5v ranges and always OFF for the 10v range on the Moon 569 sequencer and it is semi-tone quantization only so an advanced external quantizer may still be desirable?
seb17320
There is the Mos-lab option too :

tadaa !
hamildad
Analog Music wrote:

My new go to excuse for why these packages keep appearing from the postman.

Not to mention when the big 5U studio case arrives.

we're not worthy
JohnLRice
seb17320 wrote:

tadaa !
SlayerBadger! love
Dilibob
I have the double 960 dot com, plus a quantizer and slew on the bottom. I use the slew a lot when it's creating envelopes.
jjsynth
seb17320 wrote:

tadaa !

Wow, that looks great! Guinness ftw! love
minime123
you really will need quantizers for the moog 960, and moog doesn't make any. we're going to eventually get some .com quantizers and a few other modules for the vintage moog system 55 we refurbished for our studio as these extra modules will definitely make the sequencer way more useful.
mini
mutierend
I love aesthetic of the 960 (I have the dotcom version) and, while it costs as much as a way more capable MIDI sequencer, I like the challenge of getting what I want out of it. For example, ratcheting with a Cirklon, Pyramid, or Koma Komplex is super easy. Ableton's beat repeat does it too. But with the 960, depending on how you want to do ratcheting, you need another oscillator and a switch.

And I like that. A lot.
Mark11Audio
Analog Music wrote:
I luv 5U sequencers and it's so cool we have so many options I wish I could have them all .
They all have Pro's and Cons .
I'm curious to know what your thoughts are on two (2) Moog 960s (pic below) with their utility modules compared to the rest of 5U sequencers ?
How much does having the IO on every step matter compared to other sequencers that have more features but not the IO on every step ?
Are there any advantages of having this sequencer set-up in one portable case
or is this a disadvantage some how ?
I was interested in this set up because I believe Tangerine Dream used something similar in their early classic period and also by Morbius pattern bussing technique video below .
[/img]

I can highly recommend this setup... I just purchased the Walnut Cabinet version a few weeks ago... it's awesome... thumbs up

EPTC
If you're doing a comparative contest, you should really include the GRP R24.

Animal! Haha! Animal! Fencing
JohnLRice
EPTC wrote:
If you're doing a comparative contest, you should really include the GRP R24.

Animal! Haha! Animal! Fencing
I thought about it but I thought the original post was concerned with individual Set inputs and Gate outputs for each step which the R24 doesn't do so I didn't mention it. hihi
JohnLRice
And to be inclusive, here's a fancy COTK system that would dominate the Moog dual sequencer system for about half the price! (IMHO of course cool )
Analog Music
JohnLRice wrote:
And to be inclusive, here's a fancy COTK system that would dominate the Moog dual sequencer system for about half the price! (IMHO of course cool )

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions keep them coming !

Ok John this COTK you put togethers looks incredible , I am often quite stubborn with my ideas but you really got my full attention and open mind to your ideas and thought because you are such a great help .
So hear it is , I guess this should have been my 1st question from the very start.

What would you suggest for the ultimate sequencing power house set up with emphasis on Melody , Fun , Tangerine Dream , Live Performance and reaching the next dimension though a black whole something wonderful Alien Wiard jawdrop Lotsa Love
in as little space as possible in potable case like you used above maybe something I can use and expand on later

It very well maybe the COTK you have above man this is so much fun .
mutierend
The COTK system looks outstanding but good luck buying one. Kazike at COTK never replies to my emails.
JohnLRice
Analog Music wrote:
What would you suggest for the ultimate sequencing power house set up with emphasis on Melody , Fun , Tangerine Dream , Live Performance and reaching the next dimension though a black whole in as little space as possible in potable case .
Well . . . . now I'd say you should consider the GRP R24! For under $2000 it comes in its own portable desktop case with power supply, has built in slew, ratcheting, clock dividers, quantizer, pattern generators, trigger/gate buss, MIDI I/O, and MEMORY so you can recall complete sequences, etc etc
This is fun!
http://www.grpsynthesizer.it/index.php/en/products/grp-synthesizer-r24 -en.html

josaka
for $200 you can get a zaquencer .. it destroys pretty much all these 'in the box' sequencers.. and saves a ton of money + space.. has presets(if you are a professional its very good to have recall !)
..you can save the 'playing/control' live as midi to a daw... its only possible downside is you need midi to CV.. beatstep pro doesn't need midi along with a host of other new great sequencers that transmit cv/gate.
these old sequencers are strictly nostgic.. nothing wrong with that if you have space and cash to burn but as far as practicality(the best of these is by far the GRP24) ..the new seperate sequencers have really moved on.. its the one of the biggest areas where old modulars are most outdated.
ranix
I disagree, I think the 960 is one of the most powerful sequencers especially if you have two. The "or" module (Q960 or the INTERFACE modules in the photos above) let you do crazy things like mix two 960s running at different rates or with different gate lengths and patch individual stages to create multiple patterns from the same sequence. It fits the way my brain works for like the "top" level of sequencing and clock dividing, if you know what I mean?
josaka
have you tried a Zaquencer? it runs 4 x 32 has 2 4 8 12 16 24 32(higher?)clocks(on each of the 4 lanes seperately) crazy racheting/repeats/ random/ direction /chords/ length per step/ offsets per step/can control cc /lfo /velocity(per step)all of this is per lane.. (hold down shift and each element on individual element values goes up/down simultaniously (which is recordable) (crazy on the rachets/repeats one note turned into 2/3 or four repeats and manipulated live sounds amazing) and I have missed a bunch of other features Im sure..smile
I am not against these old moog things they are just superceeded..and cost a fortune..

and the added bonus of controlling anything in you studio thats midi.. DAW synths/desktops/eefects/drum machines and so on..

here is one Zaq running all this live.. its not really a great demo of the complex patterns you can do but it shows some of the melodic multi layer uses plus a little pattern change at the end..

the note repeat recordable/programmable (can do this with the rachets too.)(on the same patterns smile )
Synth of Darkness
Dang that looks cool. Anyone selling a cheap BCR2000? There are ZERO on Reverb.
ranix
Hold your horses and wait for one to show up cheap on ebay, the power button breaks off in almost all of them and people sell them at a loss because they are damaged
Synth of Darkness
ranix wrote:
Hold your horses and wait for one to show up cheap on ebay, the power button breaks off in almost all of them and people sell them at a loss because they are damaged

Thanks for the tip!

I'll go back to silently drooling over all of these sequencer options. Good luck with the decision OP!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3